Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Whats wrong now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats wrong now?

I just cleaned my throttle body and it was pretty gunked up. I used STP Throttle Body Cleaner with a micofiber rag. I got it so clean and shiny. Now Ive got everything hooked up, but it now idles at 2000 RPM. Even higher when driving. I had to turn off and cut my car off because it was about to start overheating. Why is it idling so high? I didnt scratch anything, I know all connectors and vaccums are connected. ??? Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 AM

Not to sound dumb, Just a suggestion, but the TB probably had some sort of lubrication. idk for sure
Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double check your vacuum lines, most likely culprit for the high idle.
Possible you bent the throttle plate and it is sticking partly open.
Overheating? High idle should not be causing it to heat up, running very lean would though. This should throw a code - you didn't mention a cel, is it lit up?

Beyond that, idk what else to look at.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Double check your vacuum lines, most likely culprit for the high idle.
Possible you bent the throttle plate and it is sticking partly open.
Overheating? High idle should not be causing it to heat up, running very lean would though. This should throw a code - you didn't mention a cel, is it lit up?

Beyond that, idk what else to look at.
Actually it would, a car revving a 3K constantly would surpass the cars cooling ability.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Remove the throttle body again and make sure the plate closes freely.I would even try lubing the pivot points with some fine oil.

If you jammed your hand in there to clean it than it is most likely bent(throttle plate)
and you are going to have to try and fix it or replace the throttle body.

Personally I think all the lube was washed away and it (the motor) sees the resistance as being closed.
To many guys are having the same problems when they do it so some one should have the solution.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MyCobaltGetsMeCooter
Actually it would, a car revving a 3K constantly would surpass the cars cooling ability.
Hmmm, is electric fan not large enough?
Suppose that makes some sense if the car is not moving. If it's overheating while in motion there is another issue to deal with though......
Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Hmmm, is electric fan not large enough?
Suppose that makes some sense if the car is not moving. If it's overheating while in motion there is another issue to deal with though......

At a red light the car will almost overheat because its setting at 3k rpm. Hell is a little guy in a v6 Charger thought I wanted to race. I still beat him though lol. But when going down the highway the cars temps go waayy down.

And the plate cant be bent, i barely touch the thing. I put a little wd40 around the plate hinges again today, and still the same thing. I took the battery cables off for hours, and removed the PCM fuse, hoping to reset it. Still the same problem..

Looks like its going to the dealership tommorow. Guarantee they will say "you need a new throttle body", then the new one that i buy will have the same exact problem, then they will relash the ECU and problem solved. thats how a few others have been fixed, reflashing ecu after mods intalled.