Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

window seal leak fix...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window seal leak fix...

if a mod feels like this could be a how-to feel free to make it one...

but for the past couple weeks i've been having an issue when it rains with getting water in my rear floor mat areas. after having the door panels off a few times and trying a couple different things i think i have found the problem and the solution!

with the door panel off i did a hose test and could physically see the water running in between the window seals right at the joint on the mirror, dripping down onto the foam of my aftermarket speaker, running under the speaker and into the inner door jam, and then all the way down the door jam until it pooled up enough to spill over the jam and into the floor area.

and this happened to both sides at about the same time!

so after finding all of this out what i did was cut a small piece of plastic and RTV'd that to the door underneath the speaker hole to seal that up better since i have aftermarket Kenwood 6 1/2" speakers (that have been in the car over 2 years)... and here is a pic to show you, it isn't pretty but seems to work...

then what i did was i took the same RTV and with a toothpick i was able to build it up enough to seal off most of the gap between the window seals to help prevent large amounts of water to run into the door. here's a pic of this as well... now you have to be careful with this step to not get any RTV into the window channel or on the window itself

now we just had a heavy, and i do mean heavy rain today and my driver side is dry. now my passenger side was wet but that was because i didn't have that side completely done yet so hopefully now that side is good too.

i been seeing a bunch of people having this same issue so i hope this helps anybody else with this problem, it may not be the best fix but as long as it works that is all that matters.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but there should be drain holes at the bottom of the door where the outter skin meets the bottom of the inner skin.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM

you are correct that there is, and mine are all clean. but with the amount of water that comes in because the window seals are worn out the water just runs right in under the speakers. doing this helps prevent water from even getting in the door and whatever does make it in is funneled down and out the drains...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM

after it rained heavy today my interior floors were completely dry...