Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Windshield Washer Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Washer Failure

Yesterday I was driving and I thought to myself that I had never added washer fluid to my car. I've always pressed the button and it would spray the blue fluid and clean the window. I figured the reservoir would be low and with coming winter storms I should fill it up.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought Prestone windshield washer fluid. This stuff said it was made especially for ice and would freeze only at much lower temperatures than the "regular" stuff. This Prestone fluid is yellow in color and I asked the manager if it would be a problem putting it in my car which has blue fluid in it. He said you can mix any windshield washer fluids with no harm.

I filled my car's windshield washer fluid until I could see the yellow fluid in the tube into which I was pouring. Drove my car to work fine, but on my way home, about 6 sprays later, one came out weaker. The next time I pushed the washer button nothing sprayed and the wipers swept the windshield dry.

I checked under the hood again, could not see fluid in the tube, added a very small amount and could then see that it was in there and there was not a leak. I used the fluid at full strength as the directions stated; I did NOT add any water.

Any suggestions to fix this? Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by aterminatorz
Yesterday I was driving and I thought to myself that I had never added washer fluid to my car. I've always pressed the button and it would spray the blue fluid and clean the window. I figured the reservoir would be low and with coming winter storms I should fill it up.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought Prestone windshield washer fluid. This stuff said it was made especially for ice and would freeze only at much lower temperatures than the "regular" stuff. This Prestone fluid is yellow in color and I asked the manager if it would be a problem putting it in my car which has blue fluid in it. He said you can mix any windshield washer fluids with no harm.

I filled my car's windshield washer fluid until I could see the yellow fluid in the tube into which I was pouring. Drove my car to work fine, but on my way home, about 6 sprays later, one came out weaker. The next time I pushed the washer button nothing sprayed and the wipers swept the windshield dry.

I checked under the hood again, could not see fluid in the tube, added a very small amount and could then see that it was in there and there was not a leak. I used the fluid at full strength as the directions stated; I did NOT add any water.

Any suggestions to fix this? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Where are you located? I've already had few issues with my windshield washer/fluid "system"......but I've chalked it up to the cold (frozen/thick fluid).
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM

it's -20 here and i don't have any problems in my beater
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by boostedss26
it's -20 here and i don't have any problems in my beater
Well, that's the thing. I don't think I have ever had any problems with my other cars either (just the SS) and you would think that the fluid would actually stay in liquid from 'til at least -20. It's a little odd. I'm thinking its possibly just the lines?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM

probably froze in the lines, or the bottle is solid.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 PM

The temperature was about 7-14 degrees Fahrenheit today in Michigan. The fluid claims to withstand temperatures up to -34 degrees Fahrenheit. It's been cold, I can't believe that it simply froze when it is rated for much colder temperatures. Does the rating work for absolute temperature or does wind chill affect it? I never had this problem until I added the new washer fluid.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 PM

it depends on how much blue stuff was in there, and if the blue stuff is denser, if it sank, and the new stuff wasnt as dense, the blue is frozen at the bottom. The problem with washer systems is the bottom of the bottle is very skinny, if it gets cold, they freeze from the bottom up.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I only filled mine up once since I bought the car almost 2 years ago... used advance auto parts cheap ass blue fluid. It was -14*F this morning and it worked just fine. Perhaps your pump stopped working?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM

could be just the nozzles are frozen
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM

The temperature was about 7-14 degrees Fahrenheit today in Michigan. The fluid claims to withstand temperatures up to -34 degrees Fahrenheit. It's been cold, I can't believe that it simply froze when it is rated for much colder temperatures. Does the rating work for absolute temperature or does wind chill affect it? I never had this problem until I added the new washer fluid.
Wind chill does not affect it, but when the fluid is in the lines (smaller amount in one area) it can freeze easier (someone back me up here if they know details of it better). This is the first car I have had this problem on though. I will check it out next time I drive (in cold conditions) and see if the lines are frozen...that may be our answer.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM

No, it shouldn't freeze unless you got water in the system. Check the pump and make sure the nozzles and or lines aren't clogged with ****.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by PRND3L

Oh, good point....I second that as well. I will check it out. I tend to use my washer fluid a lot (sounds like the thread starter does as well ...gotta see clearly!...lol.) and that would explain it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM

I checked the nozzles and there is no ice blocking them that I can see. I ran my finger over them and they felt fine. Possible ice inside the nozzle pinhole?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Pour hot water over the nozzle and see if that helps it or not.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Satellite can test it in the morning, lol gunna be wind chills of -30F here in Omaha.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM

How can I check the pump? Anyone have pics or can describe where it is located and what it looks like. Should the lines be flexible and can I test them by hand by squeezing them?

Can the the pump be damaged by pressing the spray when it is froze/clogged?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Pour hot water over the nozzle and see if that helps it or not.

Yep...was just going to say that. Maybe go with kinda hot water/warm water.....boiling water could be bad...LOL

Originally Posted by Switt23
Satellite can test it in the morning, lol gunna be wind chills of -30F here in Omaha.

How can I check the pump? Anyone have pics or can describe where it is located and what it looks like. Should the lines be flexible and can I test them by hand by squeezing them?

Yeah, that's a possibility...but only if you burned it out..by say trying to run it for like 30 secs with it being frozen. You can hear it trying to spray though right?

Last edited by satellite; 01-14-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Turn the car to the "ON" position, but don't start the motor. Have someone press the wash button and listen for the motor whine. Check the fuse as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM

actually windsheild washer will freeze if it's old(espically winter formula), it does have a shelf life. 1st thing I'd be doing is calling the place I bought it from, telling they what happened, then asking how old it is. And no I'm not talking about when they got it, but when it was produced. It will require them calling the manufactor but it would get you the answer.

If it's froze, do you or do you know of anyone that had a heated garage? If it's under warrenty I'd take it in and get them to de-thaw it and see what happens.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine froze when i was living in montana. it was in the 20 below-ish area though. funny thing, wiper fluid froze. cobalt fired right up! (without block heater) i love my "just a cobalt"!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Yesterday temps were at 17 degrees here...washer fluid would not move except for a little spitting out of the nozzle...today it is 37 degrees no problems..........something has to be frozen...somewhere....
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Mine is doing the same thing, so I disconnected the line between the bottle and the firewall, and ran the pump, and nothing came out, so I eliminated the nozzles being clogged as my problem. I want to pull the bottle out and thaw it, but it looks like a pain in the ass, especially when everything is wet and cold.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PRND3L
Bingo. I bet that's your problem. It happened to me for the past 2 days. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fluid in the lines are frozen.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM

The weather warmed to 21 degrees Fahrenheit and the fluid is free flowing! Thankfully nothing went wrong with the system. It was the blue fluid that froze as I could see blue ice on the window once it started working.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The weather warmed to 21 degrees Fahrenheit and the fluid is free flowing! Thankfully nothing went wrong with the system. It was the blue fluid that froze as I could see blue ice on the window once it started working.
Strange, the smurf juice we get here is good to -30 or so.....different markets I guess.

Glad it was nothing more serious / expensive

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Failure