Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

yet another prob with my car plz help... radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Get low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another prob with my car plz help... radiator?

well i got my car back from the dealer today after frying almost the intire computer system in my car and hooked my fog lights bacvk up.... i lowered the car down onto jackstands and it was fine (e brake was set) and i went to go get my rachet and it slipped off the jackstand and punctured the radiator i believe it is, its the one closer to the front, well i need to buy a new one but i want to make sure that is the radiator before i order one.... any sites that sell them cheap, or any performance ones (dumb ?)
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, good thing it wasnt something more important like an engine mount, or floorpan
Old 10-26-2006, 09:36 PM

ouch
Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Get low

so is the frontmost one the radiator?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Look for the tag on it, it will give you the part number, which will tell you what you need
Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Get low

ok thnx... just asking cuz its dark and raining aND about 20 deg outside and i dont wanan go lay on the driveway, will check after school tomorrow..... is there a such thing as a performance radiator?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 AM

i still believe the front most one is the a/c condenser. did it leak any pink coolant, which would signify the radiator? on the SS/SC it goes a/c condenser, stock heat exchanger then the radiator. which is directly under the metal cross plate (upper radiator support) and the fans are attached directly to it on engine side.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 AM

If he can find the part tag, he can easily identify it, so playing guess and seek wont get much accomplished here.

make sure its not leaking before you drive it. Overheated engine = chaos
Old 10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Get low

ya i found out it was punctured when i was 3 miles form my house, i halled ass
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 AM

The one at the front is the AC condensor. The radiator has plastic tanks on the sides. If it is not broken you will have to have it evacuated and recharged after the new one is installed. The system is under preasure, so don't undo the lines or you will get a face full of freon. You can drive the car without hurting it (if it is the AC and not the radiator), so if you have to you can take it to a radiator shop. I would suggest doing that anyway because you won't be able to recharg it yourself anyway. If you want I will see how much I can get a new one for, but you would have to come to Antioch to get it. I work at Raymond Chevrolet.
Dennis
Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 AM

I guess I wasn't reading very close. You say it was leaking? Red fluid? That would be the radiator. If so, don't drive the car till it is fixed. i am going to check my employee price on both today, maybe I can help you out.
Dennis
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by denniss
I guess I wasn't reading very close. You say it was leaking? Red fluid? That would be the radiator. If so, don't drive the car till it is fixed. i am going to check my employee price on both today, maybe I can help you out.
Dennis
yes its leaking RED fluid, but the front one is the one thats all bamnged up on the bottem, i found a radiator for 158 shipped... any help is appreciated, im thinking i will remove the front bumper later today and fnd out what it is
Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Rather than trying to find a part number, look at which one is leaking and see if it has coolant lines on it or refrigerant lines. Really not that hard. Not to mention a massive loss of coolant if its the radiator, or AC clutch not locking up if its the condensor.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 PM

do you have an automatic or stick, and are you sure that your ebrake is working, put your car on a hill and set the ebrake, if your car rolls at all, i would call the dealer and ask them why your ebrake isnt working and try to get them to pay for it,
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by 06cobaltls
do you have an automatic or stick, and are you sure that your ebrake is working, put your car on a hill and set the ebrake, if your car rolls at all, i would call the dealer and ask them why your ebrake isnt working and try to get them to pay for it,
auto .... ebrake works trust me but ya dk wtf happened , stand was just tiped over, and wasnt collapsed, my car is possesed.... when i get the money i wanna get a plate reading cursd13 or Kursd13.... lol itsa known through uti as christine
Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by Witt
Rather than trying to find a part number, look at which one is leaking and see if it has coolant lines on it or refrigerant lines. Really not that hard. Not to mention a massive loss of coolant if its the radiator, or AC clutch not locking up if its the condensor.
ill do those checks under the hood tonight maybe.... to see under my car i have to jack it up though so im alittle hesitant on that for the next few days....

cant exactly just look under it lol.... dont know how my jack gets under there its rlly rlly rly close
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 PM

thats the same price I got from my boss. I am posting the GM imstructions to replace a radiator. Sorry there are no pictures, I haven't figure out how to post them with the text. Do you know if the AC condenser leaked? You would see oil around anywhere it leaked. If the AC system is still under pressure I would probably leave it alone (unless it is so ugly you can't stand it). If you have to change the AC condenser be VERY careful, R134a under pressure is
dangerous.
Good luck,
Dennis

Document ID# 1553427
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radiator Replacement

Tools Required
J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
Lower the vehicle.
Remove the air cleaner outlet resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls - 2.2L (L61).
Reposition the radiator inlet hose clamp at the radiator using J 38185 .
Remove the radiator inlet hose from the radiator.

Reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp at the radiator using J 38185 .
Remove the radiator outlet hose from the radiator.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, clean the upper transmission oil cooler line connection point and remove the line from the radiator.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, remove the left front wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement in Body Front End.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, remove the left engine splash shield. Refer to Splash Shield Replacement - Engine in Body Front End.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, clean the lower transmission oil cooler line connection point and remove the line from the radiator.

Remove the cooling fan assembly from the radiator by pushing up on the fan shroud to unsnap the retaining features. Position the cooling fan assembly away from the radiator and support the cooling fan assembly.

Remove the air dam push-in retainer.
Remove the air dam.

If equipped with air conditioning, remove the condenser bolts.

Important: You are not required to discharge the A/C system .

Slide the condenser down to disengage the upper mounting tabs from the radiator. Position the condenser away from the radiator and support the condenser.

Remove the right and left radiator side baffles.

Remove the right engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
If equipped with a manual transmission, remove the left engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.

Remove the lower radiator mounts, brackets, and bolts.

Tilt the condenser forward in the vehicle. Tilt the cooling fan assembly rearward in the vehicle. Remove the radiator assembly from the vehicle.

Remove the upper radiator air baffle.
Installation Procedure

Verify that the upper radiator mounts are installed in the vehicle.

Install the upper radiator air baffle.

Tilt the condenser forward in the vehicle. Tilt the cooling fan assembly rearward in the vehicle. Install the radiator assembly into the vehicle.

Verify that the upper radiator mount pins align with the upper radiator mounts.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the lower radiator mounts, brackets, and bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 25 Nˇm (18 lb ft).

Install the right engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
If equipped with a manual transmission, install the left engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.

If equipped with air conditioning, install the right and left radiator side baffles.

Slide the condenser up to engage the upper mounting tabs into the radiator.

Install the condenser bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 Nˇm (88 lb in).

Install the air dam and push-in retainers.

Align the cooling fan shroud retaining features to the radiator. Pull down on the cooling fan assembly to snap the fan shroud onto the radiator.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, install the lower transmission oil cooler line and seal the radiator.

Tighten
Tighten the transmission oil cooler line to 20 Nˇm (15 lb ft).

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, install the left engine splash shield. Refer to Splash Shield Replacement - Engine in Body Front End.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, install the left front wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement in Body Front End.
Lower the vehicle.

If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, install the upper transmission oil cooler line and seal to the radiator.

Tighten
Tighten the transmission oil cooler line to 20 Nˇm (15 lb ft).

Install the radiator outlet hose to the radiator.
Reposition the hose clamp to secure the hose using J 38185 .

Install the radiator inlet hose to the radiator.
Reposition the hose clamp to secure the hose using J 38185 .
Install the air cleaner outlet resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls - 2.2L (L61).
Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
If equipped with an automatic or VTi transmission, add fluid to the transmission as necessary. Refer to Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure in Automatic Transaxle - 4T40-E
Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Get low

thanks so much, i will look at it monday, i just took 6 weeks off of school to get my car back and going and make some more money to pay for it.... im kinda confused on alot of this, if you eventually figure out the pictures please post, or link to this ...eather way thanks so much for helping....if the ac condensor is fukd i will take it somewhere but i can figure the radiator out i mean its just R&R once again thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 AM

Hey Biohazard, if you take this on yourself and run into problems and you would like some help I have to work next Saturday, but I could stop by after noon and help you (if it isn't raining or snowing). You live a little far from me to come during the week. I have changed a couple Cobalt radiator/condensers. Just throwing an option at you. If your interested, either post or PM me and we can figure it out.
Dennis
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Get low

Originally Posted by denniss
Hey Biohazard, if you take this on yourself and run into problems and you would like some help I have to work next Saturday, but I could stop by after noon and help you (if it isn't raining or snowing). You live a little far from me to come during the week. I have changed a couple Cobalt radiator/condensers. Just throwing an option at you. If your interested, either post or PM me and we can figure it out.
Dennis
ill deffinatly keep it in mind, what sux though is i work fri sat and sun.... all day
Old 10-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Get low

looked under my car today and i think it is just the radiator.... will remove the bumper to find more info tomorrow and test ac tomorrow
Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Heres one no wons said could it be your trans cooler how big is the part you dammged if its like a small radiator then that could be your trans cooler. Just some more info
Old 10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by That Cobalt LT Guy
Heres one no wons said could it be your trans cooler how big is the part you dammged if its like a small radiator then that could be your trans cooler. Just some more info
no no its one of the bigger ones.... ac condensor or radiator, and my resivoir is bone dry.... its the radiator
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 AM

The trans cooler is in the radiator. I think your biggest headache will be removing the trans lines. If you read the instructions, you will be removing some splash shields. You remove them so you can get to the lower line. Also, I don't know if it is clear in the instructions but the radiator is comeing out from the bottom. You will have to be brave and jack it up high enough to get it out! If you have the bumper cover off it might come out from the top though. No special tools are needed, use priers on the hose clamps. When you refill, leave the upper hose off and fill it through the overflow tank. When fluid comes out put the hose on and finish filling. this will help eliminate air pockets. Check the fluid often for a few days just in case you get air in the sysrem.
Dennis
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Get low

how can i test to make sure its not my ac condensor? without filling my collent back up ( i dont have any) somone said something about the a/c clutch, like if it engauges its fine?

Quick Reply: yet another prob with my car plz help... radiator?