Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

ZZP stage3 install, white smoke under heavy acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZZP stage3 install, white smoke under heavy acceleration.

Ello chaps, first off I just want to say thanks for any and all advise and comments.
So 3 days ago I finished my stage 3 upgrade(zzp 3" intake, 2.8" pulley, 60# injectors, adjustable tensioner, front mount zzp heat exchanger, option b, badmab headers zzp midpipe w/ high flow cat, zzp catback). Took me about 3 days to fully install(not including exhaust) ran into a number of issues. Very easy to bleed out the with then option b, very happy about that! So to the issue, currently 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside in northern VA. I got into the throttle yesterday on the way home from GMU and saw a puff of white smoke blew out the back when over 10+ lbs of boost, got home and checked my option b resivior and the coolant level looked fine. I proceeded to the exhaust (tailpipe) and could obviously smell the sweet scent of coolant... So most likely the o-rings in the laminova cores correct? I called Page Chevorlet they told me $31.21 PER O-RING! TOTALING OVER $220!!
Went online and saw that zzp sells them for like $25 for all 8.
Can anyone tell me what they think about the white smoke? Is my laminova o-ring a realistic cause?
Are the zzp o-rings quality?(never doubted zzp).
What should I look for when I pull the charger and manifold off?
How catastrophic is it to continue to drive the SS as it is?
Any chance the o-ring will seat itself on its own?
Also it seems that once I get into it, white smoke is expelled in one decent size puff. Then it won't expel more as I continue to drive or if get in to it again...
Any thoughts, questions, advise, concerns please let me know. Much love for the replies, cheers.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:01 PM

I plan on buying the o-rings tonight. Cause well, it's the cheapest place to start. I just remembered a bigger issue I had.
When I pulled the LCores I did the hose clamp trick. Trying not to damage the ends of the LCores, once i got them out the o-ring on the far side of each LCore stayed in the manifold... Unable To reach the orings that remained stuck in the intake manifold. I lightly greased the ends on the laminova cores and installed the in the new arrangement with the washers on and slide them in until the popped into place..

I'm starting to think one or more o-rings are probably pinched.?
Anyone have any techniques for removing the o-rings that stay in the manifold when removing the LCores? Please help.
Thanks again Everyone!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigslim
I plan on buying the o-rings tonight. Cause well, it's the cheapest place to start. I just remembered a bigger issue I had.
When I pulled the LCores I did the hose clamp trick. Trying not to damage the ends of the LCores, once i got them out the o-ring on the far side of each LCore stayed in the manifold... Unable To reach the orings that remained stuck in the intake manifold. I lightly greased the ends on the laminova cores and installed the in the new arrangement with the washers on and slide them in until the popped into place..

I'm starting to think one or more o-rings are probably pinched.?
Anyone have any techniques for removing the o-rings that stay in the manifold when removing the LCores? Please help.
Thanks again Everyone!
Sounds to me like you pinched one if you didnt remove them and tried to reinstall the cores without the o-rings on the end.

I just installed a set of ZZP's o-rings last night and had no problems on install. I used some sealer that we use in our shop when sealing o-rings. Most just install with oil or grease but to each there own.

They sell long mechanics fingers. A long grabber tool. They were great for pulling out the o-rings that were stuck. Just gotta be careful not to mark it all up in the sealing part of the bore.

What tune did you end up running? A ZZP tune? Just curious.

I would pull the blower back off and take a look inside. Should be able to see coolant tracking inside the manifold if it is leaking.

Either way its a bummer man.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I purchased the ZZP 1.0 PCM. Works really well, haven't been able to really test it to much cause my clutch is on its way out, I will be replacing it at my buddy's shop on Saturday. I did get a lean code last night and half of today, but a few hours ago the CEL went away and hasn't come back yet. Maybe due to the cooler weather.? I'll probably end up pulling the LCores back apart this following Sunday. I will update with details when I get there.