Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

Where is the Introductions Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the Introductions Forum?

Hey Y'all,
I've had my Victory Red '06 SS coupe since 9/05, and regestered on the Cobalt SS Network site about a month later. I've been to the several times since, but I STILL haven't been able to find my way to the Introductions Forum! Hey, I love my 'Balt, and I love to talk about it. Is this site really that difficult to navigate, or is it just me? I noticed early on how everybody here takes a friendly outlook on things, and tries to help out whenever possible. I rarely see any negativity. People's opinions are respected. I've noticed how, while it is the SS forum, owners of LS's and LT's aren't looked down on, but rather accepted as fellow enthusiasts. Likewise, Coupe or sedan doesn't matter.
Anyhow, I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce myself here, since I can't figure out any other way to go about doing it. As you gather by my screen name, I an a Corvair owner. For those of you who don't know what a Corvair is (or are too young to remember), the Corvair was Chevy's first compact car. It has an air-cooled flat-6 in the back, and 4-wheel independant suspension. Just think about a Porsche 911 with a usable back seat, and you'll have the general idea. I've had a total of 14 of them over the course of the last 28 years. They were available with anything from an 80-horse base engine in 1960 (the car's first year) through a 180-horse turbocharged screamer (keeping in mind that this was in a compact back in the '60s) in 1965-66. Coupe, convertible, sedan, and station wagon body styles. They even had pick-up trucks with ramps built into the curbside bed side, and vans. My current Corvair is a '66 model, factory rated at 140 h.p. This is the only American engine ever offered with FOUR carburetors from the factory. Mine has been worked just a bit... it now puts over 240 horses to the rear wheels. Not that I would EVER do any street racing, mind you, but if I did, and you were to challenge my 'Vair with your, say, 5.0 Mustang, I'd gladly show you what the back end of a Corvair looks like. You'd have to look quickly, though, as it disappears in the distance.
This brings me back to my '06 SS. Back in September of '05, I had the 'Vair in for its annual state inspection, at the shop of a friend of mine who runs a Corvair-only repair and restoration business in Gettysburg, PA. While it was up on the lift, I had the opportunity to see just how rust-free this 40-year-old car was. Hey, winter was fast approaching, and in Pennsylvania, that means ROAD SALT! This little Corvair has seen its last winter on the road... but what can I afford that I can use as a daily car that would be anything like as much fun? Well, how about a that Cobalt SS coupe I've heard about, and seen a few of? My kids are grown and gone, so I don't need a 4-door. I'm in my mid 40's, so mid-life is fast approaching... time for the Mid-Life Crisis Machine! Make mine Victory Red! Sun Roof! Heated leather seats! XM stereo! I didn't feel I needed the Supercharged car, in that 171 h.p. is enough to get you in trouble in all 50 States anyway. And, Mid-Life crisis or not, I didn't like the looks of that too-tall rear spoiler (maybe I AM too old!). Well, for $19,100 all up and out the door (tax, tags, etc, etc, included) I was on the road with my new little red Hot Rod. Well, I love it. I still have the Corvair as a weekend cruiser, and I still drive it to work on nice spring and fall days, but in 26 months, the Cobalt has 25000+ miles on it, including vacation trips from here in suburban Philly to the South Bend, IN area, the Louisville, KY area, and a couple to Florida's Gulf Coast by way of Daytona and Disney World. What I have to wonder about, though, is that EPA estimated 35 m.p.g. on the highway. Funny, but I regularly get 36+.
So here I am, on the site two years and finally saying something. Anybody else on the Norristown, PA area, drop me a line. And if anyone has any pointers for a semi computer-literate middle aged old fart on how to find my way around this site, please let me know!!! Thanks... Corvair Jim
Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that paragraph is frightening.
use the enter key more often lol

welcome to the forum
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM

welcome

i almost picked up a pair of corvairs when i was 17, a coupe and a vert for $50, but my parents wouldnt let me lol said they didnt want junk sitting around..sounds like you got a heck of a one though

Pics?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM

Welcome to the forums. You can leave an intro basically anywhere u feel like. Just start posting away. I do feel like I have learned almost everything about my cobalt from this site and recommend it to anyone that buys one. Not gonna say you will get a rash of **** for asking a question,cause all forums have'em. But anyway welcome have a good time and fill your brain with info.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM

O.K. - Next Question... How do I add the pics? I have several, and I see that there is a place to post them, but I can't figure out how!

Originally Posted by an0malous
that paragraph is frightening.
use the enter key more often lol

welcome to the forum
Sorry, guy! I'm told I'm kinda long-winded. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Last edited by corvairjim; 11-23-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM

welcome dudes

just got an 06 cobalt ss

Last edited by laxguysix; 12-06-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM

welcome