South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, and FL

Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I just talked to Paul(texted), no power or anything but he and his family is alright... they were hit directly and have several thousand dollars worth of damage but managed to get to safety in a shelter...

and i've been told the death toll is WAY off... its over 125 here right now and continues to go up, i've heard statewide it may get up over 700

Last edited by 08inBama; 04-28-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Glad to hear all my degenerate buddies from AL did not get blown away in the storm.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Update on me. I'm at my armory for rear support of my unit that's at one of the sites. I just hope a truck breaks so I can get out there
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Back online as of 15 minutes ago.

A little run down of my last few days.

I was actually in a storm shelter in Limestone county (east limestone) and the subdivision got hit by the tornado. F4 Tornado (4 mph from and F5 on the doppler radar before it got blown off the tower) 190-195mph winds. The most powerful one in the state that touched down that day, all other torandoes that day in the State have been confirmed as F4's by the national weather service.

Both houses next to us were obliterated along with half the subdivision and many, many more in the area. The one neighbor and his wife were with us.

My Turbo van has about $3-5k damage along with my sister in laws car smashed by a tree.

I actually saw the tornado coming at us and got the doors shut about 300 yds away. It looked like a thick black smoke floating low over the top of houses, not your typical funnel like you see in the movies.

We had metal re-enforced doors and they barely held shut, if we would have had wooden shelter doors, we all probably would have been sucked out.

We had to clear a tree that had fallen on my sister in laws car and smashed the rear of her car, if the tree would had fallen 4 feet over, we would have been trapped in the storm shelter.

Me, wife and sister in laws boy friend checked the subdivision for victims, then trekked across the field to were my father in law and sister in laws houses were.

My father in laws and sister in laws house across the field were hit. Father in law had about 75 full mature trees between 50-100 years old uprooted or broken off.
Looks like pick up stix.

Sister in laws trailer was picked up out of the ground (she had concrete tie downs) and moves about 10 ft on the concrete pillars and busted her floor, but to our amazement her trailer was intact, but major damage.

I've been out at there place for the last 2 days clearing trees, it will probably take a week total to clear all the trees and we have about 10-15 peps helping out.
I'm sun burnt to hell and back.

Everyone from North Alabama has been coming to Athens for gas, food etc, we were the only city in North Alabama with power after the tornado.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 04-29-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Wed before I get power 1 mile is all left within 20 miles of my house and I love on that street. Things are getting ruff price gouging on gas here regular 2.89 a gallon. Also it's getting ruff out there. Bham they are carrying m-4's with live rounds most others 9mm
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM

A few pics of the subdivision from inlaws house.
This is the edge of the subdivision, deeper you go in the more houses are leveled, the subdivision also goes up to the right about a 1/4 mile and thats were we were located in the shelter at the time.
You see the field I had to cross to get to my inlaws in the pooring rain after the tornado hit.

Click for closeups of all pictures

This is the front of my inlaws House, behind it is about 50-75 more trees that size knocked down.

Behind these trees is a smashed carport with a 4x4 expedition smashed so hard by a tree, the frame is bent in the middle like a V, a smashed boat, ATV and workshop smashed all the way down to the roof.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Well im haveing to make a heart breaking call of pack your **** were gone for 2 more weeks be ready in 72 hours
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Well FEMA has arrived on the scene up in our area this morning, so I guess they decided to declare Limestone County a disaster area.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Aight I'm online now. Me and the wife are in Bham right now at her mom's house. I'm sick of all the stupid people up there that can't be organized and wanting to fight over gas, can't stop at intersections that are to be treated as 4 way stops and just people losing their minds over something that is no where as bad as what some families are going threw. I still have yet to hear from 2 of my cousins that live towards Madison. Can't get threw to them and no one else has heard either. The meet is of course cancled. This is quoted off HCS.com:
"Event cancelled...

Due to the tornado, several cars were messed up. I had three people request refunds.

Also Alabama Power set up there dispatch location in the parking lot we were going to use. There are 500 power trucks out in the lot now and have completely taken up our lot. We will bump the date back about a month. Sorry everyone. Refunds will be issued soon."
Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
A few pics of the subdivision from inlaws house.
This is the edge of the subdivision, deeper you go in the more houses are leveled, the subdivision also goes up to the right about a 1/4 mile and thats were we were located in the shelter at the time.
You see the field I had to cross to get to my inlaws in the pooring rain after the tornado hit.

Click for closeups of all pictures

This is the front of my inlaws House, behind it is about 50-75 more trees that size knocked down.

Behind these trees is a smashed carport with a 4x4 expedition smashed so hard by a tree, the frame is bent in the middle like a V, a smashed boat, ATV and workshop smashed all the way down to the roof.

was that Anderson Hills? We had to go check on my grandma's house in Elkmont yesturday and had to come down 53 and that was horrible. We also came threw Athens down 72 heading back to Huntsville and that area right on the out skirts is completely trashed. We have pics and videos of the damage on the way down to Bham. It's horrible, but at least everyone here is ok. Just hope all our loved ones are found and safe. If anyone needs anything let me know.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM

So is the meet still going down tomorrow
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM

So cobalt is hurting at the moment. Throwing a 2180 code at the moment and the only thing I can tell happening is not boosting fully only up to 15 on gms1 and 18 on trifecta. So I'm going to say it is probably a boost leak since it appeared out of no where. Gotta do a boost leakdown check at some point.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM

if you're running the stock IC piping, they probably cracked somewhere, why because they suck, lol.... plastic is fine for 15psi... but they don't seem to make it long on 20+

***edit***

let me the the story about my encounter with a LS3 Camaro tonight, well, he was getting on it on the road in front of me and I ended up behind him on a 2-lane road behind him... at this point I am in 2nd gear at about 40 mph and I guess he noticed the car tail gating him behind him, so he goes WOT and I do the same, I am having to peddle the gas to avoid running him off the damn road, lol... and end up backing off the gas, he then waves out the window, I guess thinking he is pulling on me and enticing me on... so I follow... up ahead the road goes to a 4-lane, and he's caught up with 2 cars both pacing each other in the two lanes, so i'm able to catch up with him... the right lane that I was in ended up getting ahead of the left lane so I was the 1st to clear traffic, I just waited for him to get over and catch up... we ended up going from about a 55 roll... at about 110, I started waving at him to come on, lol.... I got him by over 3 cars to 130

Last edited by 08inBama; 04-30-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM

I just wanted to check in and say that me and my family and people are ok. Damage path Is probably maybe 1 mile away from my house. Also my dads business took a direct hit and is total loss gonna cost him around 6mil to restart. Also kno couple of fatalities and this is real sad. I'm lucky that I was a mile away. I have pics of dads building and some other damage pics I will post once I have power and Internet again. It's real nasty out here tho. Very sad.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM

What kinda company does your dad have
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM

he takes 18 wheeler wheels and tires and mounts them and ships them to factorys that make the trailers and rigs. he was on daniel payne behind the fed ex building for those familiar with the area.

he lost the building a lot of inventory pretty much all of their trucks and trailers. it was a huge building too full of inventory the only thing holding the building up was the I-beams resting on the stacks of wheels and tires.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Holy crap...I'm just glad everyones ok....money comes and goes...lives don't...
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tat2NiTeZ
was that Anderson Hills? We had to go check on my grandma's house in Elkmont yesturday and had to come down 53 and that was horrible. We also came threw Athens down 72 heading back to Huntsville and that area right on the out skirts is completely trashed. We have pics and videos of the damage on the way down to Bham. It's horrible, but at least everyone here is ok. Just hope all our loved ones are found and safe. If anyone needs anything let me know.
Just got back online again

That Subdivision is right off McCulley Mill Rd. off Hwy 72 in East Limestone, it didn't have a name.

After the 3rd day of cleanup we were told to stop and the insurance company hired a logging company to clean up all the down trees.

Sadly the turbo van might have to be retired already, can't find a hood and fender, but I did find a door (white) though. But the bad thing is even after I find the parts, the whole Van is gonna have to be repainted, since the hood, drivers door, driver fender, roof dented above driver side, and scratches will all have to be re-painted plus I need a power mirror, drivers' door window .

I'm probably going to find a 2g Talon or Ecplise AWD to drop the motor into, sell off the W/A IC stuff, put the factory wheels back in and strip all my car stereo stuff, and any other performance parts and scrap the van.

If I could find a van with a door, hood and fender (cheap enough) I would contemplate on keeping it and having the roof fixed and repainting it. But both my wife and nieces boyfriend searched for over an hr and can't find jack for the Van I need.

Down side of having a unique vehicle, plus so much money tied up in it already.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 05-02-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 PM

what kind of Van is it Paul?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
what kind of Van is it Paul?
Eagle Summit LX (its listed as Van or Wagon)>

Mitsubishi Expo Drivers side fender & door plus hood would also work

I found 2 so far worthy of parts swap, one in VA and on in MI.

The one in VA is a Expo but in Pristine condition, I could probably use the hood, fender and door and sale the rest of the parts/body off. But thats $2k for the car, then $3k for paint and body work. Figure salvage yard would give you $500-750 for the rest of the vehicle plus engine.

Thank goodness its body parts, there were only 600 AWD 5 spds ever made and not one listed online anywhere for sale.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 PM

i'll join in the search... also, Crate Engine Depot put these on sale today:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/supp...shirts-249284/

I bought a t-shirt to add to my automotive t-shirt collection, lol... that is pretty much my wardrobe in the summer

also guys, May 29th we're having a Cruise the Strip for Relief event here...

Russellville(which is just south of Phil Campbell who last hit hard by the storm) used to be home to the Strip that everyone cruised on, this was pretty recent and died out in the early/mid 2000s, I remember back when I was 16 or 17 there would be HUNDREDS of cars cruising it on a given night

well we've had a reunion of sorts planned through facebook for a while, it got some Press time on the front page of the paper, city is backing us on it, etc... well, with the recent damage caused by the storm, we have a new mission and a much more important goal...

its now going to a car show, live music all day fesitval... with the main attraction the "Cruisin' the Strip" that night

100% of the proceeds go to the Tornado Relief, so it should be a good time for a good cause

any of you interested who need directions, i'd be more than willing to help you get here

right now we have almost 300 people on our facebook group, but of course with the local press and now with this new cause, it should be more than that, will be a lot of nice cars, some beautiful women, etc...

what was planned as a Summer night of hanging out has taken on a whole new meaning

Last edited by 08inBama; 05-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Eagle Summit LX (its listed as Van or Wagon)>

Mitsubishi Expo Drivers side fender & door plus hood would also work

I found 2 so far worthy of parts swap, one in VA and on in MI.

The one in VA is a Expo but in Pristine condition, I could probably use the hood, fender and door and sale the rest of the parts/body off. But thats $2k for the car, then $3k for paint and body work. Figure salvage yard would give you $500-750 for the rest of the vehicle plus engine.

Thank goodness its body parts, there were only 600 AWD 5 spds ever made and not one listed online anywhere for sale.
hello i'm Glenn i live in gadsden i see you guys in AL to where do you guys meet ? i have a HHR i see there a HHR guy here to when is the next meet
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM

we meet usually in Birmingham but really just wherever the activity we're meeting for is taking place

Paul, HHRSSouth is from Athens

i'm Adam, I'm from the Shoals(Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia, Florence)

we're all kind of spread out

myself and Bamaboy have the LNF turbo balts, Paul has the LNF HHR, and the rest are mostly LSJs, except Thrasher, he has a LNF is from Mississippi but has made a couple of meets with us
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by gbkglenn
hello i'm Glenn i live in gadsden i see you guys in AL to where do you guys meet ? i have a HHR i see there a HHR guy here to when is the next meet
Well Sunday was suppose to be a meet in Birmingham at the Drifting event, but mother nature said, no!

So I'm sure we will get another one going some time in May.

Adam btw I saw FF 5 Saturday evening in Athens, the movie theater here is showing it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
we meet usually in Birmingham but really just wherever the activity we're meeting for is taking place

Paul, HHRSSouth is from Athens

i'm Adam, I'm from the Shoals(Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia, Florence)

we're all kind of spread out

myself and Bamaboy have the LNF turbo balts, Paul has the LNF HHR, and the rest are mostly LSJs, except Thrasher, he has a LNF is from Mississippi but has made a couple of meets with us
cool i have 08 HHR LS panel i'll put a S/C on it's been on for a year. now i'm installing cams from zzp that i'm wait on , i had my head ported , put in new vavle springs .so my car is down now. do you think a 2.9 pulley is to much ? i been run it some say i need a 3.0 or 3.1 vince think i'm ok cause i have the L61 block what do think ?

Quick Reply: Alabama