South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, and FL

Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man. im going to be honest. not alot of bama people really keep up on here lol. I am a few others do. but we mainly rely on our phone tree and im atop of that. I dont belive anyone did last yr. where is it exactly. I am leaveing in april for kuwait so I probly wont be makeing it but i can try to put together a group if i can find some guys
Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 AM

we alabamians are lame.... lol

nah i am tho i havent come to a meet in forever...but we need to get a couple before you go to the sandbox man...

btw josh do you have my phone #??
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by bamaarmyman19
hey man. im going to be honest. not alot of bama people really keep up on here lol. I am a few others do. but we mainly rely on our phone tree and im atop of that. I dont belive anyone did last yr. where is it exactly. I am leaveing in april for kuwait so I probly wont be makeing it but i can try to put together a group if i can find some guys
oo ok... well the event is held in Montgomery
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 AM

everyone here with decent performing cobalt won't invest in $200 motor and tranny mounts, are scared of wheel hop which would be prevented with said mounts(and/or can't drive), so the drag strip is out....

I have my opinions on that, lol
Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 AM

yeah... i've been to the track at Holt in FL countless amount of times and never had a problem with anythin, even learned how to launch and prevent wheel hop..
Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 AM

that is the thing every one is like "oh no, drag racing, in a cobalt you'll break your axles".....................no in any fwd car, if you can't ******* drive and wheel hop off the line, you are probably going to break some axles, lol.... and you'd be surprised what a set of engine and transmission mounts will do, they do a lot more than sticky tires

that was the 1st thing I did to my gtp, went from 2.2 60s to 1.9-2.0s, on the same damn tires(and they were actually spun almost off)

I wanted to get some base lines in before the 3" downpipe and LNF kit, but the kit is coming out next month, its going on my car the days its available and the downpipe will be coming right after that, it'll hit the track in the spring... front end was out of align and the dealer fixed that Tuesday, they also ordered me two new front tires, which is awesome, I was about to have to rotate them to the back, but got them covered under warranty... worked out great, because the inside of the tires were worn out as well, they really couldn't tell if it was the front end or me, so they gave me new tires anyway... I didn't even push the issue(or request them)... bad news is, they are back ordered... the back tires still look brand new, lol

and for any that post here, I still vote we go ride the Dragon's Tail next spring...
Old 01-04-2009, 04:01 AM

damn 1.9-2.0's 60's! thats awesome!... my best has been a 2.2 and stayed around that area... and your right all fwd vehicles that drag will brake an axle at one time or another. just the way things go. whenever my buddies head up to the track with their 300+hp hondas they always have spare axles and tools with them... i'm hopin to get some suspension pieces soon such as drag bags, torque dampener and such to help traction...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM

if you want to be safe at the strip get the rotated motor mounts from OTTP... end of story

if you want to down talk people b/c they dont care to drag race, so ******* what. the cobalt wasnt meant to drag race it was meant to auto-x, and run road tracks...

"drag racing is for fast cars, auto-x is for fast drivers."
Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Mine all depends on the date
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by laserblue2006
if you want to be safe at the strip get the rotated motor mounts from OTTP... end of story

if you want to down talk people b/c they dont care to drag race, so ******* what. the cobalt wasnt meant to drag race it was meant to auto-x, and run road tracks...

"drag racing is for fast cars, auto-x is for fast drivers."
you can go to the drag strip weekly, its expensive as **** to race at Skip-Barber in Birmingham, and that is for a couple of laps, once a year

Besides, its nice to be skilled in drag racing, for when the cocky mustang driver gets beside you on the street

and I can't name a street car that is built for the drag strip, but the SS's do pretty well there... especially the '08+s
Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
you can go to the drag strip weekly, its expensive as **** to race at Skip-Barber in Birmingham, and that is for a couple of laps, once a year

Besides, its nice to be skilled in drag racing, for when the cocky mustang driver gets beside you on the street

and I can't name a street car that is built for the drag strip, but the SS's do pretty well there... especially the '08+s
any of the recent influx of muscle cars....the mustang and others that are tanks in the corners...

the 08+ is even more aimed at auto-x/road racing than the SC's were...

personally i would take a few laps at barber over weekly drag racing....
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM

have you ever actually compared the lap times of a 350Z and a Mustang GT, or are you just going by ricer mentality... Because if you actually look at the facts, those "muscle cars" can hold their own...

for example, look at Car and Drivers Lightning Lap... the Cobalt kicked ass winning LL1 but they had a Charger Srt-8 in the comp, it posted a faster lap time than a G35, a Lotus Elise, even a Subaru WRX Sti(though the new sti isn't quite the performer as the older ones)... whoops

and the mustang GT is twice the handler it is, and the Ls2 GTO was faster around a circuit than the Mustang(you must not be too familiar with the Holden Monaro)...

so that whole "tank" around the corners things, is ricer myth that was true about American cars in the 1960s... the numbers current "muscle cars" post on circuits smash those myths... the old LS1 Camaro SS's were also very fast around tracks, go look up some lap times from Laguna Seca, Road America, etc., you will see they posted much faster times than Rx-7s, 350Z, etc... and you'll find out they weren't much slower than the Evos and Stis, which are basically track cars sold to the public(especially the Stis, for years they didn't even have a radio or A/C)

there is just this mentality that American cars can't handle and that Civics and 350Zs would run circles around them on a "real" track.................which is B.S.

now if you are racing around cones in an Auto Zone parking lot, then well, its going to come down to the car with a shorter wheel base, so a civic and RX-7 are probably pretty tough on those courses... But I can take a 5-speed Ford Fiesta and take that claim

its why Miatas are such good auto-x cars but on a "real" track, they are going to get schooled by a Mustang GT, a Mustang Cobra, a GTO, a SS Camaro, etc.... you can only mask lack of power so long

Last edited by 08inBama; 01-04-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM

come on you guys
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM

this is why I vote Dragon's Tail, lol....

you don't drive fast(or else we'll be calling a tow truck to get your car out of some woods), its fun as ****, and is FREE, lol... Doesn't mean you put put through it, just drive "spirited".... and watch out for cops, lol

And I can almost guarantee no broken axles, lol
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 AM

Dragons tail is awesome!! a good buddy of mine takes his rx-7 fd there all the time!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
have you ever actually compared the lap times of a 350Z and a Mustang GT, or are you just going by ricer mentality... Because if you actually look at the facts, those "muscle cars" can hold their own...

for example, look at Car and Drivers Lightning Lap... the Cobalt kicked ass winning LL1 but they had a Charger Srt-8 in the comp, it posted a faster lap time than a G35, a Lotus Elise, even a Subaru WRX Sti(though the new sti isn't quite the performer as the older ones)... whoops

and the mustang GT is twice the handler it is, and the Ls2 GTO was faster around a circuit than the Mustang(you must not be too familiar with the Holden Monaro)...

so that whole "tank" around the corners things, is ricer myth that was true about American cars in the 1960s... the numbers current "muscle cars" post on circuits smash those myths... the old LS1 Camaro SS's were also very fast around tracks, go look up some lap times from Laguna Seca, Road America, etc., you will see they posted much faster times than Rx-7s, 350Z, etc... and you'll find out they weren't much slower than the Evos and Stis, which are basically track cars sold to the public(especially the Stis, for years they didn't even have a radio or A/C)

there is just this mentality that American cars can't handle and that Civics and 350Zs would run circles around them on a "real" track.................which is B.S.

now if you are racing around cones in an Auto Zone parking lot, then well, its going to come down to the car with a shorter wheel base, so a civic and RX-7 are probably pretty tough on those courses... But I can take a 5-speed Ford Fiesta and take that claim

its why Miatas are such good auto-x cars but on a "real" track, they are going to get schooled by a Mustang GT, a Mustang Cobra, a GTO, a SS Camaro, etc.... you can only mask lack of power so long
first off i dont have the ricer mentality... josh can vouch for that..

2nd...ok....i will agree that the reason the elise/miatas/civics/rx-7 lose to GTO(which i never brought into this argument seeing as i know they are really a holden) and the camaros is the power difference...but they are far superior handling cars...the lotus exige pulls some rediculous number of g's in turns...

now with my car i would probly be 2-3 seconds behind you in the 1/4 but i might actually be faster in an auto-x....so which car is faster??

now...MY car is NOT faster than yours...nor will i ever say it is...

you would school me on the strip/highway and probly a long road course with long straights...

i never said that only small japanese cars can win on road courses...my original statement was that the ss/sc/tc's were meant to be run on road courses...hence why they were so worried about the ring time than 1/4 mile
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM

calm down Tyler
Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 AM

so we all can agree, Dragon's Tail in the Spring, lol

it'll cost us: 2 tanks of gas, a couple of meals, and a Saturday

I will guarantee no one will come away from the trip not wanting to go back

(unless they get a little ahead of themselves and introduces their car to some Tennessee forestry, that'll usually motivate you to not go back, lol)
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM

where is this place?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bamaarmyman19
where is this place?
alright

also the dragon's tail is up in tenessee some where and its got a rediculous amount of turns and cut backs....als othe cops patrol it heavily due to everyone wanting to run on it
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM

so like your spoced to go down it fast or no?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 AM

no you DON'T go fast(especially your 1st time), and they don't mess with cars much, just crotch rockets

its just a fun ride, 318 curves in 11 miles, wrap your mind around that... which is about 29 curves every mile, lol

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps_loop.html

full loop is 120 miles

Last edited by 08inBama; 01-13-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 AM

someday i'll venture up there and drive that!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 AM

********update********

put some new headlights on my car:

bought a set of OEM tail light lens/housings off ebay, have them being sent this week and i'm going to nightshade them... want to keep the stockers as I don't know how the Alabama State Police will like my tinted tail lights, lol... and can easily go back stock if need be(for court)... then of course, throw the tinted ones back on and press my luck again Not worried about the local cops, they don't care about crap like that... but well, we all know Troopers, and they are dicks here about **** like that, at least in this part of the state and I assume they are in the rest of the state...

also got new tires on the front, found out my front end was out of align and had eaten away at the inside of my passenger front tire, so they aligned my front end and ended up replacing both front tires, which was cool... I had worn them pretty good anyway(not a lot of spinning though, the Continental is just the worse tire ever, wear like ****, don't hook for ****, etc.) but the dealer was cool, I really just went in to get the front end aligned and figured I'd have to bitch to get them to replace the tires, but they replaced them without me having to mention it... my car has always pulled a little, but at first I just thought it was the tight steering, being low to the ground, and following the fall of the road... But it kept getting worse, and when I had it in the air changing the oil, I noticed the passenger tire worn on the inside, which doesn't happen from spinning them off...

Last edited by 08inBama; 01-13-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM

U suck. I'm in the woods till the 30th

Quick Reply: Alabama