South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, and FL

Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well mine people told me the only off days they have had in 2 yrs is vacation and holidays and both the company gets really bitchy about. is that not sad not 1 damn weekend off in 2 yrs
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 AM

^ but society wants you to believe Unions are no longer needed.....which is easy to say when you're sitting behind a desk writing a ******* article for a newspaper in an air conditioned office in New York working 9-5 Monday through Friday....

and being that Alabama is a Right to Work state, organization is the ONLY protection you really have

you can walk in today, them tell you they don't like the shirt you are wearing, don't come back... and there isn't **** you can do except accept it and move on... or they could even tell you "josh, you've been here 20 years, and now you are costing our company too much, don't come back"... once again, you got to take it and move on

that is Alabama law for you

or go Union

and on a side note why do you think a lot of plants are moving to Alabama? because we are a right to work state... and truthfully, they know if you get pissed off they can fire you and train another dumb ass to come in and run your parts for a shitty pay scale compared to plants in the same market in other parts of the country........ it amazing autoworkers here make $12-15/hr and the same company will have a plant in say Illinois paying their guys $20-25 that are even non union and the cost of living is CHEAPER in the areas where they are paid more(seen that with a local automotive company)

or go Union

catch my drift yet?

and like for example the construction world(which is my future), right now everyone is like "well there are a lot of union construction workers laid off"... no doubt, there are, now is hard times for construction both organized and unorganized... but economist predict in less than 10 years there is going to be a demand of over 2,000,000 TRAINED construction workers and because of people retiring now(because of hard times) or people who move on to other trades, the pool of construction workers is expected to be in the 500,000 worker range... so while times may be hard, we're going to be sitting very nice in the near future and when people are running back to the trade trying to obtain cards again... i'll be there getting the cream of the crop with a low pool of workers to compete against

basically what I am saying is, don't live life for today, think about tomorrow

now i'm not saying its the life for everybody, there is a good chance you are going to be on the road a lot... but you can work 8 months out of the year and make more than most make in 12

I also have to tell the story of when I was in high school and told my guidance counselor that I probably wouldn't go to college... she said "you'll probably end up working construction"... I said, "I hope, they make very well"

and there is my completely getting this topic off topic post... now back on topic... at least i'll have my car back for the Dragon, lol

hopefully i'll have my catback on then... going to hold off on installing the intake... going to drive the car a couple of days and make sure everything is right with it before I put the intake on and crank the boost back up

Last edited by 08inBama; 08-13-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
you're telling me Josh, I haven't had an "off day" in 2 weeks... looks like I MIGHT get Sunday off this week

money good, time off....no

I remember 2008 saying "damn, am I going to have a job in a month"... now its "****, give me some off time"... can never be happy, lol

and I think the money I get from GM i'm going to go get a Hahn Catback with part of it... that'll show them
You got to pay the bills, but to be honest working all the extra time (60-70hrs/week) is exactly why I went back to school to be a a teacher (I was a precision machinist for 15 years). Now I will be off weekends and summers, while some people like to work all the friggin time, I prefer to enjoy my family, life, etc.

Money isn't everything guys, at one time I had a job bringing home $2.5k/week after taxes, working out of state and all my lodging was paid for. I also got a huge tax break on that **** because I was working out of state and not a permanent resident. Making money is great but not being able to enjoy any of it or family sucks.

I'm sure once a few of you move on to having families you will totally understand what I'm talking about making a compromise between money/time off.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM

08bama....i do construction as well....what your saying is true thats why i dabble in EVERYTHING, eletrical plumbing, welding, layout, field engineering etc.,.....i can do it all, and its TOUGH to find a job....even with my background and skill's i cant find ****....they look atmy resume and go, "thats nice, wish we could afford you/put you to work"

construction is an old man's sport....luckily i had an og worker teach me everything

the industry WILL pick back up...

hhr: i have a family, i feel ya on that one...i worked 60-80 hours a week when i first started construction, ill still work the hour's but im not happy about it...
Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM

i dont have my family. but i do have a gf friends mother and neice/nephew i would like to see. havent seen my mom all week and my gf total of maybe 8 hours now
Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 PM

5:00 and still no car

my brother and I rode by this morning to access the situation, and the car was on the rack... 2 hours later on our way back through we stopped again, wheel was on the car, car was off the rack on the ground with the hood popped... I thought "damn, they might actually get done with it today".... no call yet

why am I not shocked at this point
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Anyone heading up to the Ardmore car show tomorrow? I'll probably get up there around 10 before the 100 degree heat sets in.
I went last year and they had 800 and something cars. This year they are suppose to have around 1200.
http://www.aqbc.net/2010%20AQBC%20Ca...ow%20flyer.pdf

Originally Posted by SeizeThyGod
08bama....i do construction as well....what your saying is true thats why i dabble in EVERYTHING, eletrical plumbing, welding, layout, field engineering etc.,.....i can do it all, and its TOUGH to find a job....even with my background and skill's i cant find ****....they look atmy resume and go, "thats nice, wish we could afford you/put you to work"

construction is an old man's sport....luckily i had an og worker teach me everything

the industry WILL pick back up...

hhr: i have a family, i feel ya on that one...i worked 60-80 hours a week when i first started construction, ill still work the hour's but im not happy about it...
I hear ya man, got to do what you got to do. Luckily I was fortunate enough to have a way to switch my occupation and still be financially stable while attending college. When ever college gets tough, I just think back to those rough 60-70 hr weeks to get me motivated.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 08-13-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ya'll
First time posting on the Alabama thread. Been in Alabama since April of '09.
I live near Dothan though. Work out at Ft Rucker. I have to head all the wayup
to Montgumeray if I wanna run a 1/4 mile. Havn't really had the time yet in account
of working weekends all the time.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM

ill sell ya a trifecta tune welcome post pics of the car
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
Hey Ya'll
First time posting on the Alabama thread. Been in Alabama since April of '09.
I live near Dothan though. Work out at Ft Rucker. I have to head all the wayup
to Montgumeray if I wanna run a 1/4 mile. Havn't really had the time yet in account
of working weekends all the time.
Theres another guy on the Alabama section that is statoned down at Ft. Rucker, he owns a Cobalt SS/TC
Old 08-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Just go back like 2-3 pages
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Theres another guy on the Alabama section that is statoned down at Ft. Rucker, he owns a Cobalt SS/TC
Was it red? Last year there was a red SS
for sale, the ad was posted in the break
room at work. I think it was an 06 SC though
Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Me and Bamaboy met up with MelvinGriffaw at Hooters 2 weeks ago. Bamaboy was up here for a interview and the other guy MelvinGriffaw (guy stationed at Rucker) was up here training for 2 weeks.

His car is black
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 AM

cool guy. so is paul
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM

crossing fingers i'll get my car today....
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

crossing fingers i'll get my car today....
Yeah it would be nice if you got it back this year some time instead of next year.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

oh they've got one more **** up and i'm getting a lawyer....seriously
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 PM

sweet! lol i called about my tires and the guy was like sir what do u want from us i said atleast 2 tires and u keep ******* around ill push for 4
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 PM

calling GM in the morning(guy was out today)... going to the lawyers office after

9 weeks later, car is back together.... no one can get it into 1st gear

they then explained how they had Saturn parts, Chevy parts, and all this **** thrown together(because of the back order) trying to hurry up and get it fixed....

correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like to me they got parts for the LSJ transmission as the only version Saturn used that was a FWD transmission was the Ion Redline, because obviously the Sky is RWD... aren't the LNF and LSJ transmissions different? anyone know how many of the parts interchange?

either way, i'm beyond pissed, this is why I DIDN'T want them rebuilding the ******* transmission.... its starting to get laughable, like: how can we **** Adam over this week

in this weeks episode, Adams explains to GM how he told them 9 weeks ago he wanted a new transmission because he didn't want **** "thrown together" but that they told him: rebuilding the transmission was protocol so Adams tells them to shove protocol up their ass, he's getting a lawyer

Last edited by 08inBama; 08-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM

calling GM in the morning(guy was out today)... going to the lawyers office after

9 weeks later, car is back together.... no one can get it into 1st gear

they then explained how they had Saturn parts, Chevy parts, and all this **** thrown together(because of the back order) trying to hurry up and get it fixed....

correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like to me they got parts for the LSJ transmission as the only version Saturn used that was a FWD transmission was the Ion Redline, because obviously the Sky is RWD... aren't the LNF and LSJ transmissions different? anyone know how many of the parts interchange?

either way, i'm beyond pissed, this is why I DIDN'T want them rebuilding the ******* transmission.... its starting to get laughable, like: how can we **** Adam over this week

in this weeks episode, Adams explains to GM how he told them 9 weeks ago he wanted a new transmission because he didn't want **** "thrown together" but that they told him: rebuilding the transmission was protocol so Adams tells them to shove protocol up their ass, he's getting a lawyer

make sure u get g85 if you didnt already have it.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Keep us posted adam
Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM

they are different...I'm 99% sure...I'm curious to here what GM says...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM

apparently just the gear ratios... the hard parts appear to be the same
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear about that 08inBama Man, I hope my transmission doesn't decide to mess up any time soon.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM

where did you take it to? serra chevrolet? sounds just like serra

Quick Reply: Alabama