Supporting Vendor Deals & Group Purchases For Supporting Vendors ONLY!

Tjin Edition Trunk Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RKRamos
You will have to drill holes for the reverse lights, for the locking mechanism, for all the rubber bumpers, the holes to secure the wires for the reverse lights. Etc etc.
Ummmm no...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Killa SS
Im not reading thru 87 pages to try and figure this out, If i order the 2 door trunk model, is there anything i need to cut? or is it all bolt up and adjustment that need to be done for it to fit correctly?
The correct 2 door trunk has no key hole, but it had the reverse lights and brake light. I haven't had one to install yet, but you have to drill maybe the plastic to mount the lights, not the cf.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by northvibe
Ummmm no...
Umm, yes. Rick is correct. You have to drill two holes per taillight, cut an opening for the trunk latch, drill for the wiring holders, and for the under trunk pad if you put yours on, and for the square blocks.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i almost dont want the trunk nemore i dont wanna cut it and f*** it up...hopefully sum1 does a how to or sumtin with sum pics by the time i get back and put mine on
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Umm, yes. Rick is correct. You have to drill two holes per taillight, cut an opening for the trunk latch, drill for the wiring holders, and for the under trunk pad if you put yours on, and for the square blocks.
well he made it sounds like you cut the CF. You are cutting/drilling into that black plastic crap.

Yes, you'll have to cut out everything, holes for the reverse light, hole for the locking mech etc etc, EVERYTHING
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Ummmm no...
The correct 2 door trunk has no key hole, but it had the reverse lights and brake light. I haven't had one to install yet, but you have to drill maybe the plastic to mount the lights, not the cf.
Uhh yes. You don't even have your trunk how would you know..
Thanks.
Originally Posted by carstedt
man i almost dont want the trunk nemore i dont wanna cut it and f*** it up...hopefully sum1 does a how to or sumtin with sum pics by the time i get back and put mine on
Get a body shop to cut it for you then.
well he made it sounds like you cut the CF. You are cutting/drilling into that black plastic crap.
If you want the locking mech then yes...you're going to have to cut into the CF though.. You do have to cut the holes for the lights or else they're not going to sit in there.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Hey RKRamos, do you have any side or angled shots of your trunk installed? Mines coming tomorrow, and I'm the same color as you. Just curious what it's going to look like on the red
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

No, I'll have to grab on later.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I just walked outside and took a few. It's dark out but they don't look half bad. Let me upload them someplace.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

There are two more in my gallery

Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Uhh yes. You don't even have your trunk how would you know..Thanks.Get a body shop to cut it for you then.If you want the locking mech then yes...you're going to have to cut into the CF though.. You do have to cut the holes for the lights or else they're not going to sit in there.
Sure.... Um I've had two trunks.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Uhh yes. You don't even have your trunk how would you know..Thanks.Get a body shop to cut it for you then.If you want the locking mech then yes...you're going to have to cut into the CF though.. You do have to cut the holes for the lights or else they're not going to sit in there.
We all knew from the start no lock mech, you had to cut the cf to get the lights to fit?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

You have to drill two holes for each light. They made the hole for the third break light too small, so you have to enlarge that if you want the light to sit right and to be water tight. You also have to shave under each side of the wing if you want the trunk to shut down flush. In the end, if you want to do a quality job, yes you have to trim some of the actual CF material, not just the black fiberglass. No different than any other aftermarket body panel I've ever worked with - you get what you put into it.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM

You have to drill two holes for each light. They made the hole for the third break light too small, so you have to enlarge that if you want the light to sit right and to be water tight. You also have to shave under each side of the wing if you want the trunk to shut down flush. In the end, if you want to do a quality job, yes you have to trim some of the actual CF material, not just the black fiberglass. No different than any other aftermarket body panel I've ever worked with - you get what you put into it.
I figured it would be some drilling into the fiberglass but shaving the cf...ugh well we will see how it fits. I bet they each fit different......
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM

You also have to shave under each side of the wing if you want the trunk to shut down flush.
I saw Juiced SS's trunk at our local meet and you could see that is exactly what needs to be done for his to fit.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya but I'm leaving it for now. lol
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM

so this is what needs to be done to get this thing to fit? I was about to buy one from a guy near me but it's seems to be a tid bit more work that I think I'm willing to do to get a good fit.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

As I said..........

No different than any other aftermarket body panel I've ever worked with - you get what you put into it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM

By shaving under the wing tips, is that just sanding? or is this some crazy deal where its wet sand, clear coat and all that jazz? I've never done body work just everything else on a car.

My 3rd trunk was good. excited to test fit it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM

any1 near milwaukee WI that would wanna help out with this thing lol
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM

As I said..........

No different than any other aftermarket body panel I've ever worked with - you get what you put into it.
Dude, its a carbon fiber trunk, and from what it looked like in the R&D pictures, they had a cobalt to make them fit perfectly, for 600 bucks, I'd be expecting at the very least to drill a couple holes in the fiberglass for the wires, but to have to modify the wing, the light buckets, espically being that thats the carbon fiber parts, no no no no, All thats telling me is they have the time and paicents to make their buddies car look perfect, but they don't care about their costumers cars. that trunk with all the extra work people have to do to it, and you say have a body shop mess with it, ok, now someone paid 600 bucks for a trunk lid, now they have to take it to the body shop and any body shop to mess with carbon fiber thats gonna be 200-400 bucks right their to fix the company's carelessness, and lets not forget about what I've heard about their packaging for shipping, I think we need to start something to have this company give half the money back to everyone for their mistakes, that would be a fair deal than. its all about the customer, thats what companies need to relize, but now days most of them our out to just make money and say screw the consumer.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM

i do think it is crap that we hav to modify them to get them to fit perfect when they did hav it put on a cobalt already for testing..i love the trunk and the look but for paying over 600 i expected the trunk to fit perfect with exception of minor things not shaving down the wing or drilling holes besides the lock mech
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
any1 near milwaukee WI that would wanna help out with this thing lol
Some us, including myself are not always tech/mod savvy. If you are unable to do it on your own, please take it to a body shop.

Originally Posted by brian.olsson
Dude, its a carbon fiber trunk, and from what it looked like in the R&D pictures, they had a cobalt to make them fit perfectly, for 600 bucks, I'd be expecting at the very least to drill a couple holes in the fiberglass for the wires, but to have to modify the wing, the light buckets, espically being that thats the carbon fiber parts, no no no no, All thats telling me is they have the time and paicents to make their buddies car look perfect, but they don't care about their costumers cars. that trunk with all the extra work people have to do to it, and you say have a body shop mess with it, ok, now someone paid 600 bucks for a trunk lid, now they have to take it to the body shop and any body shop to mess with carbon fiber thats gonna be 200-400 bucks right their to fix the company's carelessness, and lets not forget about what I've heard about their packaging for shipping, I think we need to start something to have this company give half the money back to everyone for their mistakes, that would be a fair deal than. its all about the customer, thats what companies need to relize, but now days most of them our out to just make money and say screw the consumer.
I'm sorry and you are? I appreciate your concern about your fellow Cobalt family, but we haven't tried to screw anyone over. I don't see your name on the list of individuals who payed for this trunk, so why are you trying to start a "revolution" here? Ask anyone here, I've been there for them whenever they've needed any help, plus or minus a few who were asking for outrageous requests. Less than 50 posts and less than 8 months of membership doesn't give you the right to criticize us in anyway unless you have a personal issue with us that came from making a purchase through me directly.

I told everyone what would be involved. ALL of our parts are suppose to be installed by a professional/body shop, you don't go to a body shop just for paint, you know? Mostly everyone here has been able to do it themselves, so at this point is not about this task being impossible to do, it's about having a certain skill set to do the modifications. If you lack those skills then you will have to pay to get it done. It's as simple as that. Also, on the damaged note, we've packed the hell out of these things, the mishandling isn't coming from us, its the courier. Anyone who has been unhappy and has wanted a new trunk, I've sent it to them. Make sure you have all the facts before you try to blast a company that is trying to help. I am not trying to come off rude, but I don't appreciate someone saying that we are not about taking care of the customer, especially when that's all we've been doing.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM

hes actually got the skills to do it...him and i have built my car from the ground up as well and hes done all my body work that needed to be fixed.. he doesnt post on here doesnt mean hes not active in the cobalt community hes on more than enough groups and has helped quite few ppl out there so dont doubt him jus cuz he has 50 posts or wutever...but i get where he is coming from i personally only expected to do the locking mech and that was it i wasnt planning on sanding down and cutting holes for the lights if that was the case i would not have bought the trunk..maybe it was posted before i bought mine but who knows...i myself am not to happy now that ill have to pay an extra 2-400 to have this installed now and yes it is due to my lack of body shop skills but also to the fact that i dont want to mess up a 600+ trunk if something was to happen...i love the product its very unique and great looking but i am disappointed in the fact that its not a simple instal lik a hood or other cf trunk would be
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
hes actually got the skills to do it...him and i have built my car from the ground up as well and hes done all my body work that needed to be fixed.. he doesnt post on here doesnt mean hes not active in the cobalt community hes on more than enough groups and has helped quite few ppl out there so dont doubt him jus cuz he has 50 posts or wutever...but i get where he is coming from i personally only expected to do the locking mech and that was it i wasnt planning on sanding down and cutting holes for the lights if that was the case i would not have bought the trunk..maybe it was posted before i bought mine but who knows...i myself am not to happy now that ill have to pay an extra 2-400 to have this installed now and yes it is due to my lack of body shop skills but also to the fact that i dont want to mess up a 600+ trunk if something was to happen...i love the product its very unique and great looking but i am disappointed in the fact that its not a simple instal lik a hood or other cf trunk would be
What issues are you dealing with besides the locking mech and tail lights?

Quick Reply: Tjin Edition Trunk Group Buy