Supporting Vendor Deals & Group Purchases For Supporting Vendors ONLY!

TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC Short Shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed this in my SS/TC and it fits perfect! I took my time and did it in an hour. Very easy with great instructions. I need to get more time with it but so far I think I am going to like it. the weighted knob was worth the extra cash for sure. Shifts are smooth with it even with the shorter throw and height. Thanks for a good product and price!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I might be interested in switching to this. Having issues with the B&M I need something weighted
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM

The TWM STS is pure sex... The shifts are soo short and smooth. The look is very good! There is some extra effort required for the shifts, but in a good way... I definitely recommend this shifter!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is definitely something I want to get in before next season. I haven't had much trouble w/ the stocker, but it would be nice to cut down my shift times mechanically, cause I don't think there's anything more I can do physically w/o putting my fist through the radio on the 2-3...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by INFE
I just finished installing my new short throw shifter and i have to say what a difference!!! Every gear is shorter and much more feel to the shift. Install was very easy with great instructions. Fit and finish is perfect! This shifter is definitely worth the extra money over the others. Thanx for a great Shifter TWM

Awesome, thanks for the props! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the short shifter

Originally Posted by marcusicp
I just installed this in my SS/TC and it fits perfect! I took my time and did it in an hour. Very easy with great instructions. I need to get more time with it but so far I think I am going to like it. the weighted knob was worth the extra cash for sure. Shifts are smooth with it even with the shorter throw and height. Thanks for a good product and price!
Thank you for confirming that it fits the SS/TC! We were 99% sure that it would, but no test cars could be found locally.

Thanks for the compliments on the instructions, we have seen the other manufacturers instructions and were a little puzzled by them

The weighted shift knob is definitely a bonus as well, I've been driving with them for 12 years on various cars and will never go back!

Originally Posted by csementuh
The TWM STS is pure sex... I definitely recommend this shifter!
I love this quote! Thanks for the feedback csementuh.

Kevin
TWM Performance

Last edited by TWM Performance; 09-25-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TWM kicks ass! I just got done installing it and it feels SOOO much better now. Everything was precise and built very well! The only thing I may suggest is that you change the part in the instruction manual about removing the stock knob. Its actually way easier to put the two screwdrivers on opposite sides. I put one towards the front of the car and the other towards the rear and I didnt even need to pull on the knob.

Thanks again TWM !!

Originally Posted by Edubs
This is definitely something I want to get in before next season. I haven't had much trouble w/ the stocker, but it would be nice to cut down my shift times mechanically, cause I don't think there's anything more I can do physically w/o putting my fist through the radio on the 2-3...
I lol'd

Last edited by JohnnySasakiMGS; 09-25-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
TWM kicks ass! I just got done installing it and it feels SOOO much better now. Everything was precise and built very well! The only thing I may suggest is that you change the part in the instruction manual about removing the stock knob. Its actually way easier to put the two screwdrivers on opposite sides. I put one towards the front of the car and the other towards the rear and I didnt even need to pull on the knob.

Thanks again TWM !!
Thanks for the feedback!

That's good advice for the shift knob, actually in our 2006 test car it was very easy to remove, but in our 05 test car it was almost welded to the shifter (the shift knob had already been removed from the car and heavily glued back on). This is why we stated to use caution in the installation manual, I actually almost knocked Kevin out when we removed it...

Thanks,

Frank
TWM Performance
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Ordered, can't wait
Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Would like to hear from guys who owned the B&M or Hurst shifter and switched to this one. Is it any better and why?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HB_SS/TC
Ordered, can't wait
Thank you for your order, it's shipping out today!

Originally Posted by Coop
Would like to hear from guys who owned the B&M or Hurst shifter and switched to this one. Is it any better and why?
The biggest complaints about the other short shifters on the market were the vague 5th gear, clicking noise from the reverse lockout mechanism, reverse lockout mechanism floating around on the shifter and not enough height and throw reduction.

As we stated on the first posts about our SS/SC short shifter, we adressed all of these concerns and came out with a solution for all of them. The reverse lockout mechanism is sliding on the shifter with delrin bushings, the reverse lockout pin threads on the shifter and has o-rings for super smooth operation, the 5th gear is precise and easy to find and the height and throw reduction is the most agressive on the market at 1" and 33%.

Frank
TWM Performance
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Appreciate it Frank but would love to hear an unbiased opinion from owners of both.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Coop
Appreciate it Frank but would love to hear an unbiased opinion from owners of both.
I have used Hurst, B&M and now the TWM. I have not been happy with any of them until I got the TWM. I am happy with it so far. The shorter height of the shifter really makes a difference in the feel of it. The wighted knob makes a bit of difference as well. Out of the three I have tried I like this one the most.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM

marcusicp what exactly do you like about the TWM compared to the hurst?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Coop, out of the three the TWM has a smoother feel to it. It is one of those things that is hard to explain until you try it. The lock out works smoother, the shifts feel smoother, and the height reduction is, in my opinion, something that was needed all along. If you have the extra cash it would be worth it to me to swap over to the TWM. However, if cash is tight and you are happy with the Hurst then swapping may not be worth it to you. You really need to try both and see what the differences are. Shifters are so much about the feel of them that it is hard to put it into words.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Yup, it fits the T/C just fine. I had to do a couple tweaks here and there to get the shifter to move into every gear fine. I just submitted a write up with pictures on the How-To section, but it won't show up until the mods approve it. I'll try to post up again when I see that it's available. Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Installed mine over the weekend and it was a breeze. Hardest part was lining up the ball at the end :P . I did this and the armrest install at the same time. Probably took me about 2 total hours, but I this was the first time I've had my Cobalt apart in any manner and I was watching football at the same time .
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 AM

man ya all are gettting ripped off bc cosmo racing has short shifters for 60 plus shipping and its the same as the twm short shifter!!!! it fits everything but the ss but not sure about the ss.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=228&pid=1459
Old 09-29-2008, 09:02 AM

I highly doubt they're the same considering its only for the 2.2L whereas the TWM fits all cobalt models. You sir are the one who's getting ripped off more than likely, don't trash a solid vendor with good rep and solid feedback just cuz you saved a few bucks on some ebay quality pos.
Not Cool
Old 09-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor

Hi everyone,

The other short shifter mentioned on a previous post is far from being the same as a TWM short shifter. It's actually a short shifter intended for a Cavalier, and even when installed in a non SC Cobalt, it does not achieve as much throw reduction as our Cobalt short shifter.

Anyway, back on topic, it's still time to take advantage of the special pre-order price, the Cobalt SS/SC Short Shifter is in stock and ready to ship!

Thanks,

Frank
TWM Performance
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM

Yea, I have to admit. This shifter is a big improvement. I love it!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rusty
Yea, I have to admit. This shifter is a big improvement. I love it!
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, and thank you for the orders.

Today is the last day for the special introductory pricing, don't miss out! Prices go back to retail tomorrow morning.

Check it out: TWM Cobalt SS/SC and SS/TC Short Shifter Sale

Thanks,

Kevin
TWM Performance
Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM

OK......... I've read all the post and I'm convinced, I'm ordering right now......

ok.... order went through...........

Got the shifter w/bushings and upgraded shift knob.......

cheers

Last edited by thehov; 09-30-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by stenguyen1
man ya all are gettting ripped off bc cosmo racing has short shifters for 60 plus shipping and its the same as the twm short shifter!!!! it fits everything but the ss but not sure about the ss.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=228&pid=1459
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by thehov
OK......... I've read all the post and I'm convinced, I'm ordering right now......

ok.... order went through...........

Got the shifter w/bushings and upgraded shift knob.......

cheers
Thank you for your order

Kevin
TWM
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Will this work on the 08 sport 2.4 manual trans?

Quick Reply: TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC Short Shifter!