Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

JBP Poly Ctrl Arm Bushings Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBP Poly Ctrl Arm Bushings Installed

Just got some JBP poly control arm bushings installed, thought I'd give a review.

I was going to take some pictures but they are not easy to see. Please note that I also put my stock rims/tires back on the same day, and boy does the car feel completely different.

Ride/Handling: I don't notice any extra vibration or noise at all. Ride feels like stock (from what I can remember - much harsher than with snow tires)

Wheel Hop: Reduced but NOT eliminated.

Before Bushings Launch: Could get wheels to hop forever in first gear
After Bushings Launch: Two small hops and then all spin

Before Bushings Top of 1st: HOP
After Bushings Top of 1st: Spin

Before Bushings 1st to 2nd: Chirp but little to no hop
After Bushings 1st to 2nd: Small hop or two, no chirp

Thoughts: Surprisingly it seems that the wheels start to hop more easily now. It seems to hop quicker in first and I never really got hop on the 1 to 2 shift but now I do. The good thing is now there's only one or two smaller hops and then it stops, whereas before it would hop forever if you let it. Now a couple of things that should be noted. First, it's very cold here (just above freezing) and it did seem like the poly in the bushings shrunk a bit due to the cold. I could feel a small gap near the inner-collar with my finger. Second the stock rubber is terrible on cold roads. Last fall I experienced the WORST wheel hop ever when the temp and road conditions were about the same. And third, once again I switched back to the stock wheels from winter tires the same day, so I am not used to how different they feel.

I believe that when the weather turns nicer and the poly expands to it's proper size it should firm things up and hopefully the little hop that remains will go away. If not I may look into getting an engine mount in addition. This combo seems to have worked magic for Tofu.

Sorry this post is so long, but I'm going to make it a bit longer...

On a side note: You guys and your 'bad clutch' posts have really gotten into my psyche. While test launching I had my windows up (due to the cold). After the initial two hops I mentioned the wheels just spun. It went like this... Squeel, Hop (bang), Hop (bang), Spin. The spin didn't make a squeeling noise, I could just FEEL it spinning. As I am busy launching the car I didn't look back to see any tire smoke. Later my mind started playing tricks on me. Was the wheel actually spinning, or was the clutch slipping? I am so damn paranoid about the clutch, I don't think I'll ever have any confidence in it until it's replaced with something much more heavy duty.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 AM

Paranoia...I just put 16000 miles on my car and my clutch bites like some sort of savage beast lol
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 AM

I know what you mean about the clutch and wheel spin..... I get that all the time too and it is NOT my clutch slipping. I hardly notice my tires squealing at all now that its cold. Hopefully when it warms up I can hear the squeal again, I love spinning the tires at 20+ miles per hour (completely stock)...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 AM

I agree with ballerSS, after I put my motor and tranny mount on, I couldn't tell if my tires were spinning or my clutch was slipping. Clutch paranoia courtesy of cobaltss.net.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by dervin3
Paranoia...I just put 16000 miles on my car and my clutch bites like some sort of savage beast lol
Ya. I'm pretty sure my clutch is ok, I'm just overly paranoid. This is my second stick shift car, my first was an '85 Fiero, but I had a new clutch put in before I even drove it (had to). So I don't know what a bad clutch feels like. I'm paranoid but also cheap. I won't be putting in a new clutch until it would be obvious to Helen Keller that the stock one is done. I will however be putting the strongest most durable clutch I can afford in when/if the time comes.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheToolmaker
I know what you mean about the clutch and wheel spin..... I get that all the time too and it is NOT my clutch slipping. I hardly notice my tires squealing at all now that its cold. Hopefully when it warms up I can hear the squeal again, I love spinning the tires at 20+ miles per hour (completely stock)...
I'm with you. I realize that squealing means wasted power, but I just LOVE the sound. I find it very impressive when a car can squeal it's tires while it's already moving. Once I went to pass some slow-poke and I downshifted to 2nd at 60km/h and squealed the tires really good - that made my week. What must other drivers think when a car squeals it's tires around you at 60km/h? I LOVE IT!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by patathSS
I agree with ballerSS, after I put my motor and tranny mount on, I couldn't tell if my tires were spinning or my clutch was slipping. Clutch paranoia courtesy of cobaltss.net.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by ballerSS
Ya. I'm pretty sure my clutch is ok, I'm just overly paranoid. This is my second stick shift car, my first was an '85 Fiero, but I had a new clutch put in before I even drove it (had to). So I don't know what a bad clutch feels like. I'm paranoid but also cheap. I won't be putting in a new clutch until it would be obvious to Helen Keller that the stock one is done. I will however be putting the strongest most durable clutch I can afford in when/if the time comes.
Trust me, you'll KNOW if it's slipping. My gf's ol jetta had horrible slippage. You could be cruising in 5th on interstate and floor it and it would be bouncing off the limiter lol. Now that I think about it, it took forever to even get up to speed it was so bad. Felt like you was always driving in mud.