Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Lets Talk Suspension Mods!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lets Talk Suspension Mods!!!!!!!!!!!

So i think that modding your suspension is fun and in the end it does have a huge noticable result in the cars handling. some people i think over look suspension or maybe just get lowering springs and think they have "suspension work". there are alot of parts out there that have snuck out on to the market that alot of us dont know about. and alot of upgrade parts for older balts (SS/SC) and lower model balts (LS/LT) ca get from newer model balts (SS/TC and SS/SC). GM eve has a few upgraded parts out you ca buy too.

so let talk suspension.... people show post up mods and parts and what they do... and maybe where to ge them.

i will start off and cover the basics so w dont talk about lowering springs for 6 pages.

lowering springs- lower your center of gravity and give you less body roll ad a stiffer ride. better handling
coil overs- same as springs but have adjustablitly... some more then others, in height, stiffness... ect ect.
Aftermarket struts- better handling, some are adjustable (KONI YELLOW STRUTS)
Rear Sway bar- reduces rear body roll and rear sway or slide in the car. increase turning and handling
Front Upper Strut Bar- keeps the front of your car stable and stiff on the road, keeps pressure on front tire in turns.
GMs stiffer Sway Bar endlinks- also help in turning, cornering, handling ad stearing at higher speeds

there are lots more out there... just post up like i did and i will keep this post here updated! also after we get a decet list going i will add where to buy these items, and reorganise it all. feel free to add to my discriptions or talk about parts! this could be sticky once it get rolling
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Nice thread! Im intrested in front and rear sway bars, but dont plan on dropping my car yet, maybe that sounds dumb but im not too sure. very intrested in this thread, but dont have a lot to contribute. I think TTR has a sweet price on eibach front and rear sway bars.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM

coil overs are better handling than spring imo

anyone had lowering springs and switched to coilovers ?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by stage2

i agree... but good springs mixed with a nice set of adjust able stuts... do compare with no problem with coilovers

Originally Posted by krazycobalt
Nice thread! Im intrested in front and rear sway bars, but dont plan on dropping my car yet, maybe that sounds dumb but im not too sure. very intrested in this thread, but dont have a lot to contribute. I think TTR has a sweet price on eibach front and rear sway bars.
yeah i am watchig your thread to see what people say about the products

Last edited by red_line_cobalt; 01-17-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM

There is others like knuckles, subframe conectors, etc.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 PM

write up on them and i will add....
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Here is some more info...

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/suspenson-basics-101-a-34641/
Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 PM

so what are you wanting to say about suspension??? just taking about it?

I've got
sportlines with koni's
dc strut tower bar
front subframe connector
poly control arm bushings some day switching to bearings (if anyone knows demensions of our CAB's so I don't have to take mine out thatt would be outstaning)
progress RSB
and transmission moutns which help out a little..

right now my biggest down fall is tires I need some better ones.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM

i did scan that thread before making this... i was just hopig to get a simpler plan for people to look at.... like wll the different style parts out there... if they want to look into all the spacifics then i can link them to there.. infact once we get a longer list going i will add that link to the first post

Originally Posted by uthinkimodd
so what are you wanting to say about suspension??? just taking about it?

I've got
sportlines with koni's
dc strut tower bar
front subframe connector
poly control arm bushings some day switching to bearings (if anyone knows demensions of our CAB's so I don't have to take mine out thatt would be outstaning)
progressive RSB
and transmission moutns which help out a little..

right now my biggest down fall is tires I need some better ones.
just kinda talk about what htere is out there.. what people have and like and i the first post a basic list for people to look it when they are wondering what suspension part they will get next for there car.

Last edited by red_line_cobalt; 01-17-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stage2

I ran lowering springs for 70000km;s then swapped to coilovers... night and day, the handling increase was incredible. from adjsutable rear shocks so it travels properly along with no bouncing like the stock shocks. and for the front sitting lower and riding was better than lowering springs. the shock is working in its correct range. I highly recommend coilovers

current setup:
245's for tires
bc coilovers
front subframe brace
new front sway bar endlinks
eibach front sway---on order still... waiting patiently
ttr rear sway bar
Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM

what brand are you running
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by red_line_cobalt
what brand are you running
bc coilovers
Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Um....lots of threads discuss stuff, heres another.

Springs and struts are incredibly underrated. They make a huge difference

Coilovers are highly overrated for the street, cheap coilovers suck ballz, good coilovers are very expensive and involve intricate setup and tedious maintenance to get proper handling and keep them like new for the long haul.

Antiroll bars are well worth the money so long as you get ones that suit your driving style and intended usage for the vehicle.

Strut tower bars are an unmitigated failure imo, there are a lot cheaper ways to display your favorite stickers, if you really need stuff to add to our mod list let me know, Ill make up something far better sounding

Chassis tie bars(as available from URC) seem to be relatively expensive compared to what most people spend on chassis mods here, but they provide results and and can built with jacking points as a bonus. Potentially laborious install.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maven
Um....lots of threads discuss stuff, heres another.

Springs and struts are incredibly underrated. They make a huge difference

Coilovers are highly overrated for the street, cheap coilovers suck ballz, good coilovers are very expensive and involve intricate setup and tedious maintenance to get proper handling and keep them like new for the long haul.

Antiroll bars are well worth the money so long as you get ones that suit your driving style and intended usage for the vehicle.

Strut tower bars are an unmitigated failure imo, there are a lot cheaper ways to display your favorite stickers, if you really need stuff to add to our mod list let me know, Ill make up something far better sounding

Chassis tie bars(as available from URC) seem to be relatively expensive compared to what most people spend on chassis mods here, but they provide results and and can built with jacking points as a bonus. Potentially laborious install.

x2
Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 AM

I ran Progress lowering springs last summer, but I am picking up a set of B+G coilovers for this summer. I will find out soon enough how the 2 compare.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 AM

i have an 07 LT
i have
ttr rear swaybar
mrz sturt tower bar
ss/sc springs, shocks and struts
i plan on doing the twins sub frame bar and what ever else i can find

Originally Posted by cruisn
I ran lowering springs for 70000km;s then swapped to coilovers... night and day, the handling increase was incredible. from adjsutable rear shocks so it travels properly along with no bouncing like the stock shocks. and for the front sitting lower and riding was better than lowering springs. the shock is working in its correct range. I highly recommend coilovers

current setup:
245's for tires
bc coilovers
front subframe brace
new front sway bar endlinks
eibach front sway---on order still... waiting patiently
ttr rear sway bar
post link i cant find it on there site all i see is a anti roll bar

is the Eibach Rear Tubular Bar 25 mm the same as a rear sway bar if so which is better, the ttr rear sway or this

Last edited by RecklessL61; 01-18-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 AM

Does this sound dumb to anyone??? I want to put in eibach front and rear sway bars, but dont really want to drop my ride. I also have a MRZ strut tower bar. Any insights?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 AM

ok to the people who are comparing coil overs to springs... your not giving the sprigs a fair chance.... your not comparing apples to apples.... when you buy coil overs you get springs and struts in a combo... so to compare you need to compare them to aftermarket springs and struts.... stock strut blow.... and you need to compare them to a good set of springs....

a nice set of springs and a nice set of adjustable struts (Koni) can make for a great suspension setup for the street. good ride and easy adjustability for your driving styles
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by darrion
i have an 07 LT

is the Eibach Rear Tubular Bar 25 mm the same as a rear sway bar if so which is better, the ttr rear sway or this
The Eibach rear Tubular bar is indeed an antiroll bar. Same style as Progress, TTR, and Time Attack.

Its a little bit less stiff(~12%) as compared to the TTR bar, BUT, it weighs much less.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM

i think the progress rear bar is a nice setup for our.

I dont think front strut tower bars area a waist of money or only good for putting stickers on. if you dont' believe me drive with one for about 1 week then take it off.

does anyone know the demensions of the CABs?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM

when you put on a strut bar for best results you have to jack the car in the air..... then install.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by red_line_cobalt
when you put on a strut bar for best results you have to jack the car in the air..... then install.
what a crock of bs, more tribal knowledge based on what? where is the validation of this claim? the fact is the struts are welded in so close to the firewall and the structure is so good, GM engineering analysis showed that a strut bar provides NO stuctural benefit at all. IF it did, the weak ass strut tower bolts would all break. so usual bs . If the strut bar was needed it would be triangulated back to the firewall. Koni race cobalts do not have a strut bar. The cobalt is not a ricer honda with strut towers sticking out somewhere in the middle of the engine bay...
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Intresting claim but I can tell a difference with my STB
Old 01-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by krazycobalt
Intresting claim but I can tell a difference with my STB
meh
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM

Placebo Effect, very few people EVER admit that any mod they have isnt helpful, if they did, that would mean ackowledging you wasted money, people dont like to do that

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Suspension Mods!!!!!!!!!!!