Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Lets Talk Suspension Mods!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
what a crock of bs, more tribal knowledge based on what? where is the validation of this claim? the fact is the struts are welded in so close to the firewall and the structure is so good, GM engineering analysis showed that a strut bar provides NO stuctural benefit at all. IF it did, the weak ass strut tower bolts would all break. so usual bs . If the strut bar was needed it would be triangulated back to the firewall. Koni race cobalts do not have a strut bar. The cobalt is not a ricer honda with strut towers sticking out somewhere in the middle of the engine bay...
strut bars are not a crazy mod but does make a differance... your car flexes while driving and cornering. the strut bar "reduces" the amount of flex.... it does ot delete the flex. and if your car is up in the air there will be no pressure on the suspension pushing on the struts.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by red_line_cobalt
strut bars are not a crazy mod but does make a differance... your car flexes while driving and cornering. the strut bar "reduces" the amount of flex.... it does ot delete the flex. and if your car is up in the air there will be no pressure on the suspension pushing on the struts.
This has really been beaten to deathe before.....BUT lets think about a couple things.

This bar that is "bracing" the front end is only held on by 3 8mm nuts on each side, torqued to 15lbft, and 90% or more of the bars have SLOTTED mounting bolts. =ponder

Out of the components of the suspension that are helped by being torqued down with the car in a particular state, I cant think of one off hand that its recommend the vehicle be raised off its wheels to tighten(SOP is torque at ride height/load if theres a preference) =ponder

Why wouldnt GM put one of these on the car if it stiffened it up? They put them on the CTS, Grand Prix, SUnfire and Cavy convertibles, etc, etc, etc....... =ponder

And of course the ever popular, why when GM was spending dollars by the truckload on the Cobalt race program didnt they install one? =ponder
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
not this **** again.

if you have flex in your strut towers that are welded to a integral part of the unibody you will have much larger things to worry about.
tweaked a pillars. broken windshields, creases in the roof. an overall not road worthy vehicle.

doubt me? go out and open your hood and look at where the tower meets the firewall.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM

i am not saying your car bends in half... but cars to flex..... the body of any car flexes.... very little but it does... take your car and pull up on to a curbed incline driveway or something.... pull in on an angle.... you can hear your interior panel creek.... your car is flexing. trucks and framed vehicles do it too..

but i dont want to agrue about this either.... but thats just my thought on it
Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but not the bolt-on bars for this car, like qwik mentioned.

This subject like Maven said, has been beaten to death, de-leveled, revived, re-leveled and beaten to death again.

Last edited by rocketpunch1221; 01-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Eibach Sportlines, a DC Sports front strut bar and a Progress rear sway bar. Compared to my last two cars (RX-7 and an M3) the handling still isn't very great by any means, but its a good bit better than stock.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

i am not saying your car bends in half... but cars to flex..... the body of any car flexes.... very little but it does... take your car and pull up on to a curbed incline driveway or something.... pull in on an angle.... you can hear your interior panel creek.... your car is flexing. trucks and framed vehicles do it too..

but i dont want to agrue about this either.... but thats just my thought on it
do a flex test on your vehicle. take the bar off while flexed and see what happens.

nadda
Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
THAT SMILEY IS SO FUNNY
Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 PM

I like this one better!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
The Eibach rear Tubular bar is indeed an antiroll bar. Same style as Progress, TTR, and Time Attack.

Its a little bit less stiff(~12%) as compared to the TTR bar, BUT, it weighs much less.
thanks man thats what i wanted to know
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
I like this one better!
Thats mildly humurous, I admit....but mine is better.

This ones prettty cool too, its better bigger.....I cant find the big version anymore
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Haha yup beaten to death and really if you wanteed to update you suspension and install something that makes a difference your fuckign dumb to just out a stb in. Most people would just go to sway bars, shocks, strut, dropping the car, etc., etc.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by rocketpunch1221
Yes, but not the bolt-on bars for this car, like qwik mentioned.

This subject like Maven said, has been beaten to death, de-leveled, revived, re-leveled and beaten to death again.
yes your right.... but if you followed along in the thread you would klnow that this is ow what the thread is about ... the thread is about all suspension mods not wether or not strut bars do anything. and i am not the one who started about the strut bars so..............

Originally Posted by Area47
do a flex test on your vehicle. take the bar off while flexed and see what happens.

nadda
i could do that... good idea

Last edited by red_line_cobalt; 01-20-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 AM

yes your right.... but if you followed along in the thread you would klnow that this is ow what the thread is about ... the thread is about all suspension mods not wether or not strut bars do anything. and i am not the one who started about the strut bars so..............

i could do that... good idea
If this is about suspension mods, and you propose to make it a sticky make sure of your facts. I would think you dont want to put in stuff that is phony as a 2 dollar bill. And perhaps guys like Maven are more qualified to do this. Half cent already did one thread...it is a whole lot more accurate...just sayin'
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by krazycobalt
Haha yup beaten to death and really if you wanteed to update you suspension and install something that makes a difference your fuckign dumb to just out a stb in. Most people would just go to sway bars, shocks, strut, dropping the car, etc., etc.
wait, wut?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM

In general if people are looking to upgrade handeling there not goign to look at putting a sturt tower bar in first