Tuning For tuning and related discussions

08 LNF. Switchable tune ECU locked?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 LNF. Switchable tune ECU locked?

Bought an 08 LNF Coupe back in 2019 or so(?)

It has a switchable tune, activated byusing the Traction Control button to activate Competition Mode...and then I always keep holding it until ESC off displays on the DIC..

Most likely a Trifecta tune, but I have heard there are in fact at least one other that were doing these types of tunes.

HPT was unable to read, and I did contact Trifecta..and got this reply:

"Hello, Thanks for the inquiry. I can only imagine Our calibration files are not in a format that you can modify. We don't use HPT or EFI live. We use our own software and calibration file types. No way for you to go back to the factory tune without you having the original calibration that would have been issued for the vehicle to the original customer. You'd also need to have our ez flash cable and software in order to even use that file to flash it back to stock unfortunately. Thanks, Michael TRIFECTA Performance Support"

Is there really no way to modify this tune?

Can I open the ECU and use BDM100 (or something?) to do a read and attempt to just get a binary file and poke around?
I do have a BDM100 coming for another project.

Thanks

Last edited by stone4779; 04-18-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:22 AM

Worst case, could I use BDM100 to overwrite the entire PCM with any old bin from an 08 LNF, and then just do a VIN change?

Hopefully I could still back up the trifecta bin to at least have.

I have been considering purchasing a spare PCM to just do a VIN change on. I found a place that supplies them for cheap but says they do need to be programmed by the dealer. I was led to believe they are basically virgin state ready to be programmed.

I was reading that just taking one off a donor vehicle requires the it has to be plugged into the donor vehicle and prepped first, and THEN can be removed from the donor, and placed/connected to my car and then the proper procedure followed to calibrate it to my VIN etc. Presumably using a pass-thru OBD cable and SPS or some sort of online portal with GM.

I have a pass-thru BTW...

Old 03-30-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 622 Likes on 470 Posts
My ecu was Trifecta tuned. I was able to reflash it using the GM TISS software using my VIN # as the calibration ID. You need to know someone at a dealer to get the login credentials. Not sure of any other way around it.

BTW - I have a Trifecta cable if you need one.
The following users liked this post:
stone4779 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
My ecu was Trifecta tuned. I was able to reflash it using the GM TISS software using my VIN # as the calibration ID. You need to know someone at a dealer to get the login credentials. Not sure of any other way around it.

BTW - I have a Trifecta cable if you need one.
Thanks for the info...

I dont know anyone at the dealer, oh well.

Thanks for the offer on the cable..

I'm pretty sure that I can clone the PCM using my BDM100 once it gets here...

Not 100% sure..but fairly certain..

I would have to open both PCMs to access the pins I need though..

Normally I would just do a write entire using a .hpt for whatever car, and then change the VIN to match mine..but I do like the switchable tune. I feel like I would just be throwing away money already spent lol.

So after you do a write entire, change the VIN...what's required after that?

Crank relearn? Is that it?

Or what I COULD do is just do a write entire on the spare ECU...and just keep the Trifecta tuned PCM on the shelf just in case.

Last edited by stone4779; 04-06-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:58 PM

You cant change the VIN in these ecus without using the GM software. You can run a different VIN ecu in the car without any issues but you have to turn off the VATS so it will start. These Bosch controllers are something else and not in a good way for us end users.
The following users liked this post:
stone4779 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:37 AM

You cant change the VIN in these ecus without using the GM software. You can run a different VIN ecu in the car without any issues but you have to turn off the VATS so it will start. These Bosch controllers are something else and not in a good way for us end users.
Dang that sucks.

So what do you use? A passthrough device and a certain software? Like Tech2Win or GMTIS with the SPS online portal?

Sorry I did a lot of tuning back in the mid to late 2000s, but I always just did tunes using HPTuners.

Only last 2 years or so started buying other cables and software learning about other cars.

This week I am doing my first clone of an Audi ECU using CDM and BDM100 by opening the ECU and just reading/writing eeprom etc through the Background Diagnostics Mode.
​​
So I'm not afraid to learn the stuff more complicated than 'connecting through OBDII and clicking a few buttons' 🤣

If it wasn't for the switchable tune stuff this would be so much easier lol.

So if I borrow the trifecta cable and have Vince assist in flashing back to stock *with the proper VIN of the car* all I would need to do once I got that done is a CASE learn right? And Immobilizer would then work properly?

I don't really want to disable VATS...my cars paid for since day one and have a lot in it..if it got stolen that would be a major setback lol. 🤣

I want to avoid the dealers here because my experience with them has been pretty bad, and on top of that they price gouge very bad too. They are what I can honestly call sharks man. Ruthless. 🙄

I need to contact Vince and discuss whether it makes more sense to just send him the spare to work his magic on, or what. 🤷‍♂️ That might keep my car on the road and reduce risk of wasting a bunch of time messing with it all

I do want to learn more on the E69 though ..and money's tight these days,that's why I have been pursuing doing it on my own.

I wish I knew more about how to make my own switchable tune using my new toys lol. That would be cool.

​​​​​
Old 04-06-2022, 10:16 AM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Which Audi ECU are you cloning? The Bosch system is basically the same in most mid 2000s and up Audis.

Also the easiest make your own switchable tune on the LNF is get two ECUs, I know not as nice as pushing a button, but also not nearly as complicated.

Which if you're going to try to decode the ECU with BMD100 I would get a second ECU incase you brick one.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Which Audi ECU are you cloning? The Bosch system is basically the same in most mid 2000s and up Audis.

Also the easiest make your own switchable tune on the LNF is get two ECUs, I know not as nice as pushing a button, but also not nearly as complicated.

Which if you're going to try to decode the ECU with BMD100 I would get a second ECU incase you brick one.
It's for a 2007 Audi Q7 with the 4.2L FSI V8 and the TR60SN transmission. We got it back in 2019, and it has always had issues with the MAFs (it has two) not working and everything on that same fuse seems to not work right...believed to be because the two HPFPs (it has two of those as well) failed and drew too much current(pops fuse S13 instantly after KOEO) and it's possible the previous owner may have fried something.

Anyways after checking the wiring harness a million times over the last few years (three?) I decided to just pull the ECU and try poking around in there. I found that the pin that supplies one pin of the two pin connector for one of the HPFPs literally doesn't have connectivity to anything inside the PCM, while the corresponding pin for the HPFP for the opposite bank does. So I'm just like ok so how much is it going to cost to just replace the PCM?? Dealer wanted $3900 plus you know how the bill grows at the dealer so who knows what they come up with once they have the car and got us by the ***** 🙄

So then I look into what I need to clone it myself.

So now here I am with a BDM frame, BDM100, a circuit board with pogo pins and a 10 pin stocket for connector for the ribbon cable I soldered together to make the connection from the BDM100 to the BDM pins inside the circuit board, extractor screws for popping the PCM lids off, a heat gun I already had, and a few different programs for reading/writing. Dimsport CMD and MpcProg, and a checksum prog for VAG EDC16.

​​​What is funny is I didn't even have a laptop when I ordered all this stuff..mine conveniently took a dump mysteriously right before I ordered the stuff. So I had to dig through my parts bin and make one from crap laying around lol. So now I have a business laptop from probably 2010 or so. It only had 1GB of RAM so had to order two sticks to up that to 4GB to even make it usable. And it would turn off when u plugged off the charger..so had to get a new battery.

Sooo yea it's been like a whole ordeal to get back into tuning. I've been out of the game for about a decade, focusing more on just being a mechanic for the most part save for doing a few times for friends here and there..mostly using my Bluetooth scanner..leaving my tuning stuff stuffed away in a drawer gathering dust. I couldn't even find my LM-2 wideband..I assume I lost it or sold it at some point lol.. I don't even know. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways so I have gone this far, I may as well go further down the rabbit hole on my cobalt too lol. I have a lot of what I need.

As far as the 2nd ECU..yeah I am probably going to get the 2nd ECU and open that one first in case I do mess up, at least it will be the 2nd one that I fry or brick lol...
Old 04-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
You can "change" the VIN number with HPTuners... but it requires licensing the VIN being changed... and then the VIN being written (even if you have it licensed on another ECU). That's my experience with LSJ ECU's.

EDIT: The ECU will always "identify" with the other car though (when connected with HPTuners, mine says "2006 Cobalt"), but it does allow the PCM to pass the security test.

Originally Posted by ECaulk

Same question. I have 3 1.8T ECU's that I'd like to play around with.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 04-06-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by stone4779
Dang that sucks.

So what do you use? A passthrough device and a certain software? Like Tech2Win or GMTIS with the SPS online portal?

Sorry I did a lot of tuning back in the mid to late 2000s, but I always just did tunes using HPTuners.

Only last 2 years or so started buying other cables and software learning about other cars.

This week I am doing my first clone of an Audi ECU using CDM and BDM100 by opening the ECU and just reading/writing eeprom etc through the Background Diagnostics Mode.
​​
So I'm not afraid to learn the stuff more complicated than 'connecting through OBDII and clicking a few buttons' 🤣

If it wasn't for the switchable tune stuff this would be so much easier lol.

So if I borrow the trifecta cable and have Vince assist in flashing back to stock *with the proper VIN of the car* all I would need to do once I got that done is a CASE learn right? And Immobilizer would then work properly?

I don't really want to disable VATS...my cars paid for since day one and have a lot in it..if it got stolen that would be a major setback lol. 🤣

I want to avoid the dealers here because my experience with them has been pretty bad, and on top of that they price gouge very bad too. They are what I can honestly call sharks man. Ruthless. 🙄

I need to contact Vince and discuss whether it makes more sense to just send him the spare to work his magic on, or what. 🤷‍♂️ That might keep my car on the road and reduce risk of wasting a bunch of time messing with it all

I do want to learn more on the E69 though ..and money's tight these days,that's why I have been pursuing doing it on my own.

I wish I knew more about how to make my own switchable tune using my new toys lol. That would be cool.

​​​​​
GMTIS is what we always use. However, this year they changed over everything to a cloud based system and it is making things a lot more difficult to do. If you do a security relearn, it shouldnt bypass VATS but change it to what you need, even with mis matched VINs.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
You can "change" the VIN number with HPTuners... but it requires licensing the VIN being changed... and then the VIN being written (even if you have it licensed on another ECU). That's my experience with LSJ ECU's.

I think the LSJ uses a different ECU. FWIW..I believe it uses a P12 PCM

EDIT: The ECU will always "identify" with the other car though (when connected with HPTuners, mine says "2006 Cobalt"), but it does allow the PCM to pass the security test.

That's what I thought .I don't mind skipping all the mess of opening two more PCMs just to have a clone of a switchable Trifecta tune that I can't even tune with HPTuners...if I can in fact just license the 2nd PCM, then do a write entire and then pay the license fee for the VIN the car actually has and then do another write entire.

Same question. I have 3 1.8T ECU's that I'd like to play around with.

Well the Audi ECU I am working with for the 07 Q7 4.2L is a MED9.1.1 ...and I'm sure the setup I have can do those 1.8T ones. I have the adapters for Bosch, Marelli, Seimens, and Delphi.

What do you want to do on those 1.8T ones?
Replies in red above ^^

Last edited by stone4779; 04-06-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:32 PM

GMTIS is what we always use. However, this year they changed over everything to a cloud based system and it is making things a lot more difficult to do. If you do a security relearn, it shouldnt bypass VATS but change it to what you need, even with mis matched VINs.
Ah ok, so the security relearn...can I do that with HPTuners? Or I need to use GMs cloud thing?

I have a buddy who has a bidirectional scan tool that *may be able to do it..it does do that whole cloud thing. You pay a license for the car for a day or a month or something, then go through the whole cloud thing

Thing is latest update bricked his unit so it's been with the manufacturer for weeks now, so I have been held up on a few small things waiting on his unit to get back in. But I can wait for that if that's all I need to do.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:39 PM

QUESTION:

If I get a virgin ecu, using HP tuners, can I just do a Write Entire using a file I have licensed? Then do a VIN change?

I came across one for sale but the guy makes it seem like it's a virgin ECU, and says you have to take it to the dealer. But I'm not sure if I could just do a write entire on it? Or?

Last edited by stone4779; 04-06-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:12 PM

ANOTHER QUESTION:

Is the E69 PCM on the LNF Bosch MED9.5.1 or 9.6.1 or what is it specifically?

EDIT: I was searching and saw someone posted the the LNF is Bosch MED9.6.
This is correct?

Last edited by stone4779; 04-06-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:28 PM

I just put in a support ticket with Trifecta stating that if I did have access to a Trifecta cable, do they even have a backup copy of the original calibration that I could use to return the PCM to stock?

Guess we will see what they say 🤷‍♂️

Will keep you guys updated.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:22 PM

Ah ok, so the security relearn...can I do that with HPTuners? Or I need to use GMs cloud thing?

I have a buddy who has a bidirectional scan tool that *may be able to do it..it does do that whole cloud thing. You pay a license for the car for a day or a month or something, then go through the whole cloud thing

Thing is latest update bricked his unit so it's been with the manufacturer for weeks now, so I have been held up on a few small things waiting on his unit to get back in. But I can wait for that if that's all I need to do.
Its much more simple then that. Its something like do this certain sequence with the key, then leave it in the on position for 30 minutes.

QUESTION:

If I get a virgin ecu, using HP tuners, can I just do a Write Entire using a file I have licensed? Then do a VIN change?

I came across one for sale but the guy makes it seem like it's a virgin ECU, and says you have to take it to the dealer. But I'm not sure if I could just do a write entire on it? Or?
Pretty sure if you have a virgin ECU, you have to use the GMTIS software to load on a cal before you can use HP Tuners. Thats how we do it at least.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

Is the E69 PCM on the LNF Bosch MED9.5.1 or 9.6.1 or what is it specifically?

EDIT: I was searching and saw someone posted the the LNF is Bosch MED9.6.
This is correct?
No idea

I just put in a support ticket with Trifecta stating that if I did have access to a Trifecta cable, do they even have a backup copy of the original calibration that I could use to return the PCM to stock?

Guess we will see what they say 🤷‍♂️

Will keep you guys updated.
When I reached out to them with the same question, they pretty much said if you arent the original person who purchased their tune, you are screwed.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:50 PM

Its much more simple then that. Its something like do this certain sequence with the key, then leave it in the on position for 30 minutes.

Yea I used to manage a fleet for a large corporation where I love, and all the gophers and marketing people had Cobalts( I recommended them to the CEO so he bought a whole fleet of them)..but back then they were 05-06s I believe.

​​​​​If I recall, the 08+ doesn't do it like that anymore...or am I wrong? Maybe I am confusing the keyless remote programming. Because I know when I bought two new keyless remotes with red cases for my VR 2008 SS, I found that the old way doesn't work, and that you have to pay the license or subscription fee or whatever using a bidirectional OBDII tool in order to program them. I still have them in the box. Ended up just soldering the battery pins back onto my old keyless remotes, and swapping over the new pads and new cases. 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure if you have a virgin ECU, you have to use the GMTIS software to load on a cal before you can use HP Tuners. Thats how we do it at least.

OK. I called my buddy to see if his Matco(?) Has been unbricked and sent back yet, but no reply yet.. IDK I might end up having to buy what I need to do it myself through GMTIS...I really want to hold off on that if I can though. I just spent a lot of this whole Audi ECU setup and the donor ECU...hopefully my buddy gets back to me with a "yes I got my tool back and yes it will connect to GMTIS..when do ya wanna do it?" Lol 🙏

When I reached out to them with the same question, they pretty much said if you arent the original person who purchased their tune, you are screwed.

GREATTT 🙄 lol. Funny...if anybody I have tuned over the last two decade or so contacts me and needs their tune(s) or a minor tweak...I would reply with "You want the stock tune, the 2nd 93 Octane tune, the towing tune we did, or you want that Custom 3Bar MAP OS for that turbo setup?"
🤷‍♂️

...because I still have every last one of them. Granted, they're scattered among several laptops and hard drives and emails and USB drives etc...but they're here...somewhere 🤣
I'm going to search for what I need to use GMTIS...I have a pass-thru cable. I have a Ross-Tech HexV2 that I have I *heard works..but not sure(?)
Old 04-07-2022, 01:03 PM

Getting TIS is going to be your biggest problem. You literally have to be a car dealer to have access to it. I am lucky enough to have a friend at a dealer that gave me his login info.

I can supply you a new ecu programmed to your VIN if it comes down to it. Just let me know.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:43 PM

Getting TIS is going to be your biggest problem. You literally have to be a car dealer to have access to it. I am lucky enough to have a friend at a dealer that gave me his login info.

I can supply you a new ecu programmed to your VIN if it comes down to it. Just let me know.
Ahh ok I didn't know that. I always get conflicting info on whether or not you really do have to be a dealer. That sucks.

Man that's a hell of a friend lol.

PM me with info on that ECU please.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:45 PM

OK ok so I have another question...if I pull the Trifecta ECU, run another 2nd ECU, and want to pop the Trifecta ECU back in later...am I able to make it work again with the Trifecta ECU?

Since I can't connect to it with HPTuners VCM Edit, and it does have limits on VCM Scanner as well. Figured I would ask.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:53 PM

Off topic...but...

The Audi 4.2L I mentioned that has been haunting my dreams at night since 2019...finally got everything I needed to clone the old ECU onto a donor..and car has no dash lights like check engine or traction control, all the electrical gremlins are gone.

That was a Bosch MED9.1 ECU.

I can read and write through BDM port/pins...if I knew how to just change the VIN in the bin that would be something I would like to play with...

dealer wanted $3900 to replace ECU 🙄 sheesh!

Glad I dont have to worry about that now lol.

Huge weight off my mind.

Ultimately cost $360 for the donor ECU, $80 for the BDM Frame and BDM100 expidited, plus whatever I spent cobbling together a working laptop to flash with(my good one took a dump just before I needed it lol)

I soldered the BDM Frame Adapter myself, idk if that saved me any money..but it sure didn't save me any time 😆

Off-topic I know, but it does have to do with flashing ECUs lol.

I'm super happy to have that in my toolset and knowledge base/ experience in my brain 😎😎

I look forward to applying that to working on the MED9.6 LNF ECUs.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:57 PM

FYI if you really need help with those Audi ECUs I can try and help however I can bro..give back to the forum and the people ya know.. 🤜
Old 04-18-2022, 03:50 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by usmcfieldmp
I think the LSJ uses a different ECU. FWIW..I believe it uses a P12 PCM

That's what I thought .I don't mind skipping all the mess of opening two more PCMs just to have a clone of a switchable Trifecta tune that I can't even tune with HPTuners...if I can in fact just license the 2nd PCM, then do a write entire and then pay the license fee for the VIN the car actually has and then do another write entire.

Well the Audi ECU I am working with for the 07 Q7 4.2L is a MED9.1.1 ...and I'm sure the setup I have can do those 1.8T ones. I have the adapters for Bosch, Marelli, Seimens, and Delphi.

What do you want to do on those 1.8T ones?
Replies in red above ^^
Yes indeed, the LSJ is a P12.

1.8T's are the Bosch ME7.5. I'm kind of generally curious about how messing around with these works. Plus general things like disabling the IMMO would be a help; I have a 1.8T swapped '86 GTI that I'll hopefully be doing the first start on this year... I know the cluster/ECU have been unplugged long enough to have forgotten each other... but don't want to pay a lot of money for a tuned ECU or IMMO delete since my plan is to move it to a standalone once I've confirmed that there aren't any wiring/hook-up issues with the stock ECU.

I have a capability to learn, just not the time. I've already picked up enough side projects, lol.

And good luck... I've always heard Trifecta is a PITA to deal with.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:18 PM

Yes indeed, the LSJ is a P12.

1.8T's are the Bosch ME7.5. I'm kind of generally curious about how messing around with these works. Plus general things like disabling the IMMO would be a help; I have a 1.8T swapped '86 GTI that I'll hopefully be doing the first start on this year... I know the cluster/ECU have been unplugged long enough to have forgotten each other... but don't want to pay a lot of money for a tuned ECU or IMMO delete since my plan is to move it to a standalone once I've confirmed that there aren't any wiring/hook-up issues with the stock ECU.

I have a capability to learn, just not the time. I've already picked up enough side projects, lol.

Ah ok yea..that's back in the day. 86 qualifies as old school now lol.

Well really you should just skip right to the standalone fuckit lol. At least it'll give you something to keep you busy on the car for a while lol.

And yeah I totally feel you on the "too many projects" thing..

My backyard is literally a parking lot now..back there I have a '52 Chevy Coupe, an '84 Chevy C10 SWB straight side, a Chevy Volt, and a '13 Sentra(?) and then I've got a '90 Toyota T100 4x4, '07 Audi Q7 4.2, and a '90 F150 parked on the street, two Chevy cobalts in the driveway, and then there's my Chevy truck in the garage LOL
guess you can tell what brand I prefer lmao 😂

Old 04-18-2022, 04:28 PM

Well...I'm not gonna bash them, but I will say that when I first bought my SS/TC and hooked up my HP Tuners to it,I was really you disappointed.

Contacted Trifecta, got a response of "you need the original tune the buyer was provided, and you need own proprietary cable"

I have since tried contacted them again telling them I have access to one of their cables (offered by a gracious member), but wanted to know if they have a copy somewhere, or how I could contact who does or might have a copy?

It's been weeks with no reply so IDK I guess they're like eh we got all the money we gonna get from him ..trash bin the Convo and move on

Vince has provided for the community in the past, and my guess is he's currently keeping up with whatever platform he's moved on to in order to keep his bills paid. Can't really blame em. Besides,nobody's perfect...maybe they just missed my msg, or didn't want to reiterate what they already told me.

I do like the switchable tune...but maybe I should just do a write entire with a 3 Bar GM tune to work off, and play with that 🤷‍♂️

I guess I don't really need the switchable tune since I always just put it into Comp Mode anyways 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: 08 LNF. Switchable tune ECU locked?