Tuning For tuning and related discussions

e-Manage Utimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
EFILive has already said they DO NOT support the e16a and do not intend to at all. Sorry Black but whoever said they have used EFILive on a e16a 2.2 is full of ****. Its SCT that supports the e16a but Garrett owns the rights to the tune since they spent 100k to develop it. They will not release the support to SCT's self tuning softwared, yet at least...

The reason why hes trying to use a piggyback is because the SCT reflash is for MT only. Hes got an auto so he cannot reflash using the SCT Livewire reflash that comes with the Garrett turbo kit. EDIT: Or so they say...
exactly, EFI Live, Diablo, SCT, HPT and so on have all shot us down. Anyone that tells you different either has a 2.2 Eco in a Cavalier or they are BSing.

The only thing that makes sense about what Hahn says is that they have found the auto tunes to be somewhat diff. from manuals. I have on clue why but that would be the only explination for not being able to use it to me as the motor and ECU could give a **** what tranny is connected to it. I see nothing wrong with a reflash for the motor and going your own route for TCM tuning but whatever...

Piggybacks do suck for a car that is N/A stock but you gotta work with what you have...its either that or full standalone.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM

i understand what piggyback means, but standalone confuses me.. Isnt hptuners standalone or is it just software that somehow reprograms the ecu?? whats all the difference ::not talking about piggyback::

I was told that some standalones will kill off your AC, powerwindows a locks and what not.. I aint willing to do that.. if piggybacking a custom motor was so bad i am sure most of these companies would ceise to exist with that product..

So far the only option i have that is stable and has has been provent to work on autos has been the emanage ultimate.. i mean i dont mean proven on our car, but others as i have been reading non stop..

Yea id love hptuners, no doubt id get it in a heartbeat, but they dont want to go through R&D and i respect that as it would be time consuming and they probably wouldnt make enough sales to be worth it or to pay off all the r&d off it..

There is a couple shops i read that do emanage ultimate tuning around where i live, so i can get them to install everything including the turbo if need be and they can tune it..

I have tried my best searching day and night and i aint kidding, had 3 hours of sleep the past few days searching non stop for our 2.2's and talking with people through companie to company..

I am trying to do this as right as i can and am trying to learn as much as I can.. so bear with me if my knowledge aint up to par, i am learning new crap everyday and its worth it..

I have no problem quiena pigging my car for the ultimate greddy unit, and i was told my the head tech of greddy it would work on my car in every aspect perfectly.. i have his name somewhere.. he wouldnt throw out useless information like that because of being held realiable as the held tech..

I am just hoping this is going to work, but best no to think negative because i am putting over 6k or so into everything including:

hahn custom turbo kit
zzp downpipe
hahn catback
gauges (all electrical)
Pods
TTR motor and tranny mounts
other crap blah blah
tuning
dyno
install

I am going to be keeping a log of everything during the way as for this to help everyone from going through as much hell from this as i have been. Know one wants to spend 6k and toast there engine..
Hahn and greddy and some other people on this forum have been extremely helpful with me during this time, and have went through 100's of pms with the companies..

Lets hope this works.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life
i understand what piggyback means, but standalone confuses me.. Isnt hptuners standalone or is it just software that somehow reprograms the ecu?? whats all the difference ::not talking about piggyback::
a standalone is exactly what it sounds like...its own ECU that works completely seperate from anything else vs piggyback which just modifies existing signals sent by the ECU.

you can go standalone without losing any creature comforts simply by having the standalone control only what you need. if you have the standalone control fuel and spark, everything else can be controlled by the factory ECU. this is the superior way of tuning because it gives you complete control over everything but is also the most involved tuning wise.

HPT is not a piggyback or a standalone, it is software that allows you to make changes to the existing ECU settings. This is a good in between as far as standalone vs piggyback goes but you are still limited by the capabilities of the factory ECU.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Thank you very much for the explanation, i get it now

From what i also come to read, the ultimate emanage depending on the car can cut off the speed and rev limiter.. not that i want to mess with the rev limiter,but the speed needs to go lol..

there is about 20 dyno shops within a hour radious from here and from what i seen most of them do ultimate emanage tuning.. so i will be going to them for installation and turbo tuning..
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM

subscribed, very interested in seeing how this turnes out cobalt4life. I am interested in doing the same after my warrenty is up. I also have a 2.2 auto, and I would LOVE to see this work for ya, and all of us!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Thank you aint doing buying the emanage till i finish most of the other stuff first, like the downpipe, exhaust, engine and tranny mounts, gauges and pods and a couple other things then i will get the emanage
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

That is the way to go about it!! Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Hey C4L. if your still workin on the car or done by may i will be in harrisburg seeing how thats where my mom lives half the time. I will be flying back there to visit her in may and i'd love to take a look at your car. If your still in development i could maybe lend a hand or if its done just check it out.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Am I an idiot or does HP tuners do the same, easier, and for less?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tsunam1
Am I an idiot or does HP tuners do the same, easier, and for less?
Yeah but it doesnt support the 2.2. HPT = out of the picture for any 2.2 ATM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM

That blows...actually thats retarded, the sell WAY more 2.2s......
Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 AM

the project got pushed back a little bit, i wont even have anything to atleast june as my financial situation isnt to well right now.. ::back injury:: id love for you to lend a hand, but sadly wont have anything for awhile.. june is the earliest i will be starting if i am working before then due to my back..

first thing i am buying is the exhaust components so that i can hook in the wideband and have the basics going. then the mounts and gauges.. then the emanage.. that would be where i would be ready to turbo,.. also need the tranny cooler.. everything before the turbo isnt expensive except for the turbo..

anything i do will be updated in this thread or another as it has to do with this.. i am talking to another company who may be getting tuning for our cars.. i have to call him up this week.. eflive or something i forget i got a email from them about developement for our cars.. i have to call the tech.. i am delaying buying tuning till i am for sure this wont backfire in my face..

greddy has been a huge help in answering questions about my car and the getack ::spl: has been tuned before by there emanage ultimate so i hope i am fine there..

if i am all well buy june, the tax back thing will pay for the hahn catback.. then zzp has the stainless 3 inch header with highflow cat and bung screw for wideband for 243 dollars.. so i am looking at 800ish for the downpipe and catback.. then its wideband right away with the zzp 3 gauge pod.. once that is on i need mounts bad for my tranny and engine..