TWM Performance TWM Performance is a proud Supporting Vendor

------TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC/TC Short Shifter Thread-----

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ------TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC/TC Short Shifter Thread-----

****TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC and SS/TC Official Short Shifter Thread!!! ****

Hi Everyone,

Ever since the introduction of the Cobalt SS/SC in 2005 and TWM’s short shifter release in 2008, TWM has been the bench mark for Cobalt owners! Due to our unique design and our drive to produce nothing but the highest quality pieces for the industry, TWM Performance Short shifter owners have raved about our products from the minute they were introduced to the market.

Having achieved such a great success with our short shifter, most companies would have been happy to sit on the product and just let it sell, however at TWM Performance, we continued development for the Cobalt community to release other awesome products like our Cobalt Cable-Clamp. Even today we are still working on releasing new products for you guys (new short shift boots coming soon)!

So seeing as this is the Cobalt SS/SC/TC short shifter official thread, let’s talk about some of its features:

-33% throw reduction

The Cobalt SS/SC/TC is a great all around car but the stock shifter is severely lacking in feel and precision. The stock throw needed some improvement so we provided a 33% throw reduction. How did we come to this number you ask? Well we didn’t pick it out of a hat as some of you may be thinking! This specific short shifter underwent heavy testing since it had so many new features. We developed many prototypes and with the prototypes we also tried different throw reductions ranging from 20% to 33% (the later being the most aggressive possible). Coincidentally, 33% is where our test car drivers and customers felt it was perfect!

-1” shift knob height reduction

Again this was the result of many prototypes and testing with many different drivers. The stock Cobalt SS/SC/TC shifter had a fairly good location in terms of height and reach for the driver, however esthetically, the shifter was quite high. Therefore in an effort to be more visually pleasing and to further improve upon the location of the shifter in relation to the driving position, we determined that a 1 inch drop in shifter height was the ideal reduction for the Cobalt.

-Retains reverse lock

This was crucial to us simply because we wanted to keep the safety feature of the reverse lock originally designed by GM. By making the mechanism from solid aluminum, we were able to give the RL a nice look while improving upon the durability of the product.

-Delrin bushings and o-rings in the RL mechanism

To assure the smoothest reverse lock operation on the market, TWM Performance short shifters use Delrin bushings and o-rings in the reverse lock mechanism. We are the only company on the market to do so, and the difference is felt instantly!

-Free Aluminum TWM Performance shift knob included (your choice of 4 different styles!)

Due to the fact that the stock Cobalt shift has a pop-on style shift knob, it will not fit a TWM Performance threaded short shifter. Therefore, we decided to include a light weight, aluminum shift knob to compliment the short shifter and really make the kit complete.

-Optional aluminum shifter base bushings

TWM Performance’s base bushings are made from solid aircraft-grade aluminum. The bushings help to solidify the entire shift assembly to the floor thereby reducing flex, and increasing feedback and feel in the shift assembly. TWM Performance is the only company to offer this part!

- Optional Cable-clamp

Ever since the introduction of the Cobalt SS/SC in 2005, owners have had problems with their cables popping off of their shift levers. This problem stems from the cheap plastic part that GM decided to use to hold the cable together. In essence, this plastic clamp does not secure the cable tightly enough and therefore under hard shifts, the clamp simply opens up, rendering the shifter 100% useless.

What we came up with is a solid CNC machined, aluminum cable clamp replacement. The biggest improvement is found where the cable enters the clamp. The OEM clamp was a simple clip-on design that would un-clip when you shifted hard. The new TWM Performance Cable Clamp is a one-piece aluminum sandwich that firmly grips the cable using 3 bolts and locking nuts. This piece completely replaces the cheap and weak plastic piece from GM and will work on your stock shifter, or a TWM Performance short shifter.

You can now pick up a FULL short shifter kit from TWM Performance with everything you need for your Cobalt SS/SC/TC! This kit comes with a stainless steel shift knob, base bushings, cable-clamp, and the TWM Short Shifter like pictured below:

Simply put, TWM Performance short shifters are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. By purchasing a TWM Performance Short Shifter, you are purchasing quality, functionality, durability and a customer service like no other. Our short shifter is the most aggressive in height reduction. It is the most aggressive in throw reduction. It’s really the only option

Feel free to ask any questions you may have by posting in this thread, sending us a pm, sending us an email (sales@twmperformance.com), or by giving us a call toll free at 1-877-655-0540.

Thanks!

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders! Lots shipping out this weekend!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor

Hands down the best Short Shifters and Shift knobs on the planet!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor

Be sure to check out our TWM Performance Youtube channel! Tons of new videos from Shift Knob installs to Product Tests and Test Drives!

YouTube - TWMPerformance's Channel

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor

The Box that everyone LOVES seeing show up to their door!

Short Shifters by TWM Performance
Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs by TWM Performance Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs

Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Hey Patrick,

I am having a hard time deciding between the various shift knobs offered by TWM. The problem is I haven't had much luck finding a picture of the Big Type R with the Cobalt's reverse lock out. Could you link me to a picture showing this or post one here?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor

Courtesy of one of our many satisfied customers:

Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders today! Lot's of TWM Performance boxes shipping out today!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor

Check out our variety of different finishes and models available at Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs by TWM Performance Shift Knobs & Gear Knobs!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor

Bump it up! Last day of January!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders this weeks! Order asap for your order to ship out before this weekend!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

another photo for your collection.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
question, you say your the only company to offer shifter base bushings. what about genuinesaab dot com?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
question, you say your the only company to offer shifter base bushings. what about genuinesaab dot com?
We`re the only ones to offer base bushings available in a combo with a real short shifter.

GREAT picture CudaJoe! Shift knob looks amazing on that TWM short shifter!

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
ah ok, might want to adjust the wording a little, not trying to sound like an ass, just might confuse people.

TWM Performance’s base bushings are made from solid aircraft-grade aluminum. The bushings help to solidify the entire shift assembly to the floor thereby reducing flex, and increasing feedback and feel in the shift assembly. TWM Performance is the only company to offer this part!

Love your products tho, if i decide to go short shifter your deffinitely the company i will buy from
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is by far the best STS i have ever used it is so sexy and smooth i love it
i would most definatly buy this product its worth the extra money
one suggestion everyone complains about the reverse lockout clanking when taking it out of reverse maybe add a rubber gasket or something on the shaft to reduce this also

my knob is showing signs of wear or idk what but it looks like the aluminum or whatever it is is becoming tarnished idk why that is
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

The aluminum is a softer material than stainless. There are numerous products sold in hardware stores to rejuvenate raw aluminum, or if you have access to a lathe you can turn it on and use a very low grit scotchbrite with oil on it to clean the aluminum surface, works wonder!

As for the reverse lockout, make sure that you always lift a little up on the RL lever when moving out of reverse rather than just moving the shifter from reverse to neutral without touching the RL lever, that's what I always do on my SS/TC and the RL operation is ultra smooth!

Thanks,

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
true good point i usually just disengage it from reverse and let it clank back to neutral but thats a good idea i guess if i lift up on it and put it directly into first i wont deal with that problem i didnt even really care it was just an outsider opinion from my friend when he drives it
but still

i ******* love this things
hands down i think its been the best mod ive done to my car
except when i miss 2nd lol!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor

TGIF!!! Lots of orders shipped!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders. Lots shipping out today!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

Bump it up!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders this weekend!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

All TWM Performance products are GUARANTEED FOR LIFE!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor

In Stock and READY to ship!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor

If you've got some spare time, check out our applications for the thousands of cars we carry!

-Shift knobs
-Short shifters
-Bushings
-Shift boots

Quick Reply: ------TWM Performance Cobalt SS/SC/TC Short Shifter Thread-----