War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

05 Cobalt SS vs 05 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Cobalt SS vs 05 Mustang V6

so I was bored and couldn't stand watching the pistons lose so I left my apartment to go drive around. Anyways, I approach a set of cars ahead screwing around and I can hear them loud and clear.

I drop it into 2nd and catch up. At this point I found out its a 05 Mustang V6 but the exhaust fooled me because he swapped his bumper for a GT bumper with aftermarket exhaust of some kind but no front fogs or GT Emblems.. Anyways, I also notice a blue SRT-4 ahead screwing with him. All three of us line up at the light on a red(4 lane highway). I was talking to the SRT-4 owner cause he was in the middle. He was bone stock. We both knew it won't be in the best interest to race because it would be almost even to 100. The SRT owner told me we should take turns beating this V6 Mustang. The mustang owner was yelling to both of us he can do low 14's in his V6 5-speed automatic

The light turns and the mustang got a head start (took off early on the SRT-4) but it didn't take long for the SRT-4 owner to roast him in a 3rd gear pull.

My turn! I started to race him from a second gear roll at 5k RPM. Smoooooooooooked! Not a chance when I hit third. I pulled 4 cars in 3rd and another 2 1/2 in 4th. The disgrunted mustang owner then started making excuses at the next light we caught saying he wasn't at the right speed and he mishifted? Hello! it's an automatic

The SRT 4 turned off after that light so I didn't get to catch his name or give him a run. Seem to be a nice guy. Light turned green the mustang owner roasted what tires he had left and I waited 3 seconds and then went after him. Blew his doors off and he was pissed. Should have seen it! After I passed him I proceeded to do the speed limit and guess what? He started riding my ass.... so I turned off to my street and went home. Wow sore loser. I told him his car was nice but he was a total dick about it.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't consider a v6 mustang a real mustang. Real mustangs have v8's. He was just in denial with all thoes modifications

Nothing wrong with a v6, decent power, and good fuel economy.. but don't try to race it.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:13 PM

V6 Mustangs are a joke. The newer ones are a bit better, but I used to beat V6 Mustangs with my almost stock 99 Neon R/T.

Also (at least around here) it seems like 90% of the 'stangs on the road are V6 Mustangs driven by women. Very few are driven by men (although 95% of the ones driven by men are V8 Mustangs).

Nothing funnier than smoking some guy in a Mustang GT that thinks his V8 powered car is going to smoke the "Econobox" next to him
Old 06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mchat
V6 Mustangs are a joke. The newer ones are a bit better, but I used to beat V6 Mustangs with my almost stock 99 Neon R/T.

Also (at least around here) it seems like 90% of the 'stangs on the road are V6 Mustangs driven by women. Very few are driven by men (although 95% of the ones driven by men are V8 Mustangs).

Nothing funnier than smoking some guy in a Mustang GT that thinks his V8 powered car is going to smoke the "Econobox" next to him
Mustang GTs are fun cars but unfortunately not that fast. The cobra and rouche versions are something to look out for though.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:25 PM

New Mustang GT’s can do 0-60 in 5.1sec and ź mile @ 13.5sec STOCK. That’s pretty fast – considering most cars on the road do a 0-60 in the 7’s and 8’s. But I hate Fords – can’t wait to see what the new Camaro does – if it is ever made. As for a V6 Mustang, it can do 0-60 in 6.9sec and ź mile @ 15.3sec.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Wink pretender or contender

yeah, a V6 Mustang is a "pretend" Mustang in my opinion. A person should only get a V6 Mustang if all they want is the 'look' of the car and want lower price etc.
to be a contender a person has at least got to go with the V8 Mustang

I've got a friend out in the Northwest who has a silver convertible Roush Mustang (Stage 3 I think)
but it's also been highly modified beyond that, and it is .... fast!
I dont recall the real numbers off the top of my head.. but it is I think around 1000hp and able to do sub 10sec źmile from what I recall (I do recall that one track there will kick people out if they go under 10s without full rollcage, so they haven't pushed this car fully at the track that I know of). no idea on 0-60 but I'm sure it's sufficient to scare the life out of any unprepared passenger

I hope to get to go out there to visit this summer
Old 06-04-2005, 02:43 AM

I take V6's, V8's all day. Yeah i seriously dont concider stock/semi stock ones fast cars anymore. When some owners get smart enough and start putting nice grippy rubber and doing some nice mods is when they can acually keep up or beat me on top end. I havent raced a SC Cobra, i havent seen one acually around my area in Houston, if i do see one, i know who they are and they are ridiculosly fast... but i seen video's of stock one.. Looks fast.

To bad one of the CRX's is out of commission for right now.

Nitto 555R Drag, with i nice big "heating burnout" @ 17pounds, with a 5k launch WILL BREAK OEM AXELS

I'll get her running again.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 94S-10SupaSport
I take V6's, V8's all day. Yeah i seriously dont concider stock/semi stock ones fast cars anymore. When some owners get smart enough and start putting nice grippy rubber and doing some nice mods is when they can acually keep up or beat me on top end. I havent raced a SC Cobra, i havent seen one acually around my area in Houston, if i do see one, i know who they are and they are ridiculosly fast... but i seen video's of stock one.. Looks fast.

To bad one of the CRX's is out of commission for right now.

Nitto 555R Drag, with i nice big "heating burnout" @ 17pounds, with a 5k launch WILL BREAK OEM AXELS

I'll get her running again.
What kind of car do you drive?
Old 06-04-2005, 08:09 PM

I hate mustangs. I just don't like cars that everybody owns... A new mustang GT I can stand, but everybody buys a base mustang for the 'look' and you see them everywhere.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:16 PM

I agree. Mustangs are every where. Most of the time old people and women are driving them. Last summer we pulled up to a GT at a stoplight in my friends 97 trans am. I looked at my friend and said how cool is this? and we look over and some woman is driving it.. no race but yeah i hate those v-6 mustangs.. call it b/s but my friend smoked one in his silverado. i hate tallons too
Old 06-05-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by chadder
What kind of car do you drive?
I drive my daily driver. But the car im talking about is the weekend car/ fun car on the weekend street racing nights. It's a 91 Honda CRX Si, and another 91 Honda CRX Si/Hybrid. I sometimes take out the S-10 SS, i like beating the rice out there with that one. But for the more serious/ money runs i take out the CRX. Havent taken out the Cobalt, but i dont think i ever will.

I would post up some video's but i have absolutly no idea how to do that.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM

dont worry i raced my roommates srt 4 and like you said it was neck and neck until about 100 then he hit third and pulled on me pretty good. he does have an intake and exhaust as his only mods. i think i will be able to hang a little better when i get those on my car. oh yeah i own i 5 day old CobaltSS just broken in the day before i raced him. OH YEAH I FORGOT THE DISCLAIMER"THESE EVENTS DID NOT HAPPEN I DO NOT RACE IN MY CAR OR TAKE IT OVER THE SPEED LIMIT"
Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
so I was bored and couldn't stand watching the pistons lose so I left my apartment to go drive around. Anyways, I approach a set of cars ahead screwing around and I can hear them loud and clear.

I drop it into 2nd and catch up. At this point I found out its a 05 Mustang V6 but the exhaust fooled me because he swapped his bumper for a GT bumper with aftermarket exhaust of some kind but no front fogs or GT Emblems.. Anyways, I also notice a blue SRT-4 ahead screwing with him. All three of us line up at the light on a red(4 lane highway). I was talking to the SRT-4 owner cause he was in the middle. He was bone stock. We both knew it won't be in the best interest to race because it would be almost even to 100. The SRT owner told me we should take turns beating this V6 Mustang. The mustang owner was yelling to both of us he can do low 14's in his V6 5-speed automatic

The light turns and the mustang got a head start (took off early on the SRT-4) but it didn't take long for the SRT-4 owner to roast him in a 3rd gear pull.

My turn! I started to race him from a second gear roll at 5k RPM. Smoooooooooooked! Not a chance when I hit third. I pulled 4 cars in 3rd and another 2 1/2 in 4th. The disgrunted mustang owner then started making excuses at the next light we caught saying he wasn't at the right speed and he mishifted? Hello! it's an automatic

The SRT 4 turned off after that light so I didn't get to catch his name or give him a run. Seem to be a nice guy. Light turned green the mustang owner roasted what tires he had left and I waited 3 seconds and then went after him. Blew his doors off and he was pissed. Should have seen it! After I passed him I proceeded to do the speed limit and guess what? He started riding my ass.... so I turned off to my street and went home. Wow sore loser. I told him his car was nice but he was a total dick about it.

sick story man.... sore loser the guy was ... next time he might buy a GM other then a ford
Old 06-09-2005, 08:38 PM

nice story, the next time u go out look for a mustang in a standard transmission. Because i would like to see what it can do. But if its a regular v6 dont even bother, they do the 1/4 and 0-60 madd slow. I was in the ford dealership after looking at the cobalt ss im gunna drive and he was trying to tell me how the stock v6 regualr mustang does 150, i was like ur wrong. How could the dealer be wrong he thinks, and im like dude im 17 and dont even want a mustang yet i know it doesnt do that u dont even know what it does and ur the dealer. He says "im positive im right" so then i look at the speedometer in the mustang next to us in the showroom, being my normal ******** self i say to him"look at the speedometer and tell me what it says". he looks and says ****. 120 was the limit on it. ITs terrible go for the gts please.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:40 PM

Nice kill. Sounds like the V6 driver got what he deserved. Even if he could drive both of you should have beaten him, and he deserved to get owned for his ignorance. The best times for an auto 05 V6 that I've seen was a 15.0 so far... so the manual is capable of a little faster, but stock vs. stock still not as fast as either of the F/I domestics. I have a Bullitt GT as well, but you can't always count out even the 99-04 V6 Mustangs as there are now several companies making parts for them. In fact, there are at least 3 10-second V6's, one of which has a completely stock longblock w/ a Twin-Turbo setup running 17lbs. of boost. That car has gone 10.9. Also, there are several more in the 11's and 12's and plenty in the 13's, some N/A, some F/I.

Anyway, looks like there's another quick little domestic running around. I guess the imports better get their act together, and I'm looking forward to seeing some at the track w/ the Bullitt or once I get the mods together on my 6. Anyway, good kill, and good luck, guys.