War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

05 SS/SC VS 2000 GTP Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SS/SC VS 2000 GTP Grand Prix

This guy at work just recently purchased a 2000 GTP grand prix with 130,000 miles on it and he wanted to make it his daily driver but he also wanted to modd it to pull 13.0 in the 1/4 mile. Well he began to start modding it by first changing the stock motor mounts to make it stiffer and then he changed the spark plugs and changed the water pump pulley as well as adjusted up the boost on the super charger. Finally he put the shift kit in. So naturally he wants to run it against me. I said ok after work. We get onto the road in a 40mph zone and I was in first and he got next to me. I honked three times and the dreaded first gear engine slam and the car did not go any where and on top of the that I bounced off the red line. I quickly hit it into second and brought it back up to his nose before I shut it down because we were approaching 65mph. I spun the tires in second because of the cold but I was gaining on him. We continued on the same road but this time it was form a 25mph roll in second and we were both nose and nose. I was really surprised I thought that I would walk him but it was neck and neck. He rolled the window down and said too bad your not working tomorrow because last night was going to be putting in either new lifters or rockers along with a header. I raced him with my mods before the exhaust that I had put on today. I can't believe that thing was that fast. Now when he is done he will have header a custom exhaust and a smaller pulley. I was thinking even with the exhaust that thing will be real fast and I will not beat him. But this race told myself that my next mod is definatly going to be the Ingals TB.

Do you guys think it was my poor shifting or that the car should be able to hang with ours or even beat our with the mods that he had put on the car?

Sorry for it being so long
Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM

I just put the ingalls in over the weekend, it helps so muhc off the line, and the shifts feel so much smoother.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

gtp can be a reallllllllllyyyyyyyyy fast car.... just look at the times guys throw down on intense race days.... its sickening.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:45 PM

You should've beat him. I hung with a slightly modded GTP (3.4" pulley, ubend delete w/ hi flow cat, 3" exhaust, CAI, ported exhaust manifolds, CAI, 180 t-stat, autolite 104's, overkill tune) and I was stock.

On my gp board there have been a few factory freaks which run 14.5 stock but most are low 15's out the box.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 PM

You should've beat him. I hung with a slightly modded GTP (3.4" pulley, ubend delete w/ hi flow cat, 3" exhaust, CAI, ported exhaust manifolds, CAI, 180 t-stat, autolite 104's, overkill tune) and I was stock.

On my gp board there have been a few factory freaks which run 14.5 stock but most are low 15's out the box.

Well I know that he is going to be putting on all those mods to his and I know this will be running 13's mine when I get the ingalls on will hopefully hang with it. He does not want to go as far as intence goes with theirs.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Well today after work I ran with him again. This time he told me his mods: ECU sent out and reprogramed,high flow header,water pump pulley,new spark plug wires and plugs,trans shift kit,ram air, cat delete, 3'' exhaust piping into and xtype and then back to the stock mufflers, adjusted boost and high performance rockers. The thing sounded awesome but he said he lost the off the line power that he had before when he had the stock exhaust piping. I lent him my pulley puller from zz preformance to put on his smaller size pully today after work.

So after work again he wanted to run. I did not tell him that I put on the GMPP exhaust over the weekend so he thought that he was going to be running against the same as what he was on last thursday. So we pull out onto a 4 lane road again . This time I left it in 2nd gear and we were at around 15 -20mph roll and we stomped on it and he jumps out a whole half a car real fast and then my rpms kick in and we get up around 65mph and I was realing him in .I was at his driver door with my bumper(he had a 4 door version) at 65 and then we had to hit the brake because of up coming traffic. We then rolled down the window and I think he was saying something along the line of your were starting to pull me in. I figure with the things that he has done to it right now he should have about 270-280hp and I know if we were on the track that I would catch him. I think he might have said something about my exhaust. Oh well figured I would share the latest and see what you guys think.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM

A friend of mines mom had a buick with that same motor. My Friend kept telling me that this car could do 0-60mph in 6 flat and kept saying bullshit. I thought it was either the normal 3.8V6 or a 3.4V6 under the hood. So he takes me for a ride one day and holly **** this thing can fly. That same day he raced another guy from town in his 86 Mustang GT and beat him. I was totally impressed by it and I'm not surprised he kept up/beat you.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM

If it was stock I would have beat the crap out it but he was heavley modded
Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM

what about the GTX? my friend has one of those...basically its the gtp but added functional ram air, different exhaust.

im basically stock, just cold air intake.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 PM

it would be close but I think you would take him
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM

good this damn kid is so irritating. he tells me all the time he gets new stuff for his grand prix and i know he doesnt. he has did that with all the cars he has had. trying to tell me his gtx is roughly 300hp. i doubt it
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

In response to the second race of the first post, 25mph in 2nd doesn't seem like a good place to start from. 1st with a little bit of feathering may have made a difference or perhaps 35mph in 2nd? Not trying to criticize, just a thought. I don't know how much your mods make a difference but since I am pretty much stock, 35-40mph in second is definitely the sweet spot and 25mph is kinda weak. It would be kind of a ricer thing to start there, but if you were going to race again at a couple different speeds, I'd give it a try.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:48 AM

surprised it still ran that is high miles for a pontiac
Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BCobaltSS
it would be close but I think you would take him
ok i guess he has a 3.2'' pulley but i doubt it.

check out this article.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes GTP's can be made fast, but with his mods, you should still beat him. You're starting at too low of rpm's. Go from 45mph in 2cnd gear and you should walk him. They're strong cars down low, but lack topend. Even if he beats you out of the hole, you'll have passed him by 80mph.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM

I have raced a grand prix gt thats stock 260hp and 280lbs and i beat him from a roll by about 3 cars and about 2 from a stop it was more even but only at the start. I have a stock ss s/c and his is auto.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Bad 06ss:When I tried to run against him with less mods it was neck and neck and I did go from a dig and the engine was doing the typical wheel hop and so this time I figured I would run it from 25mph. I know that it would have better at say 45mph in second but I didn't want to wheel hopp in first from a dig and we were in a 40mph zone. Don't want anymore tickets. He tells me today that he blew the doors off a 350z at a 40mph roll going down the street. I then shot him down by saying yea those are not that fast and that my car with an intake could beat it. He wants to runn me again now that he has a smaller pulley on his car. I do however before the pulley was installed think that I could have taken him after 65mph.

I did not know the GTX was that slow damn that sucks
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

hey man whats going on?

I've raced a few SSEi Bonnevilles and those things are no slouches. The 200x models were by far the fastest. Some guy I ran at the track can get a consistant 13.2 pass with a shitty 60fter with almost very little done.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM

2000 GTP totaled

well last week Friday the guy was not in at work . He comes in on monday and tells me the car was totaled on last thursday. I asked what happened. He seems to think when he removed the fuse box and ground right behind it in order to install the smaller pulley the ground was loose so the car stalled out . A cop came up and gave him a push with the cops flashers on and the GTP's four ways and just as he is going throug a intersection to get it to a gas station the light turns green and a woman on her cell phone goes right through it and smears the whole front end of the GTP's car. All parties involved were not injured but the parts that he had installed he could not get out because the front the car was so mangled and the exhaust was welded together . he did how ever put the stock air box back on and the took out the modded ECU and shift kit everything else was left on the car. I guess through his insurance company the car is rated on a scale up to 24 points and if it goes over then the car will be totaled. Through his insurance he gets 10 points against him already because it is over 7 years old and the rest ended up being 28 all together and he said he will try to fight for getting his mod parts coverd but thinks he will lose that battle. I guess a guy from the insurance company is coming out to evaluate it and see if they will cover it. He was depressed and I kinda wanted to see what it would have done in the quater mile. Oh well...