War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

06 ss/sc vs. 00-04 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandAM boosted 03
i was referring to when i was running my 3.4L V-6 with 800 bucks worth of mods that had me running 14.8's..... Back then i was still in high school and i could scrape any 3.8L stang that challenged me.... Only the sticks down at Edgewater would run 15.5's.... my friend Andy got cams and headers for his and he managed a 14.9... He was my only challenge....

Do you any of you stang guys get **** for building up V-6 stangs? Cause believe it or not i get **** from fellow grand am owners around my place that are trying to build their 3.4's to beat me, but so far nooone has even come close to my 13.288
Yeah, 14.8 will take out a lot of 99-04 V6's, especially if they don't know what mods to get. Bolt-ons don't do much, but a 14.8 would be attainable with just a couple cheap bolt-ons, gears, and traction lock... assuming they could drive. Also, what kind of cam as well as 60' did your friend have? Just interested.

Oh, and I can't imagine many cars getting more crap than V6 Mustangs. We get trash talk from EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE. Everybody and their brother thinks all V6 Mustangs are ridiculously slow, even if their car is significantly slower. Not to mention the crap we get from the GT and Cobra owners. Not all, of course, but a decent number of them. Anyway, it seems weird that other GA owners would talk trash to you, but weirder things have happened, I guess.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Yeah, 14.8 will take out a lot of 99-04 V6's, especially if they don't know what mods to get. Bolt-ons don't do much, but a 14.8 would be attainable with just a couple cheap bolt-ons, gears, and traction lock... assuming they could drive. Also, what kind of cam as well as 60' did your friend have? Just interested.

Oh, and I can't imagine many cars getting more crap than V6 Mustangs. We get trash talk from EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE. Everybody and their brother thinks all V6 Mustangs are ridiculously slow, even if their car is significantly slower. Not to mention the crap we get from the GT and Cobra owners. Not all, of course, but a decent number of them. Anyway, it seems weird that other GA owners would talk trash to you, but weirder things have happened, I guess.
it was an RPM Mustangs Custom Spec Cam he said....Extremeeffect Heads, and a Borla Catback exhaust.... He would usually take me off the line (he knew how to drive that little thing), but i would catch him as he shifted a little and got into the top end of that 3.8 motor.... It was a great challenge everytime that was only ruined if his reaction time got screwed up or he missed a shift....
Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM

see sig.....

true I have some mods but still I didn't think I would do as well as I did. It was a fun race off the launch we were dead even. ( I can actually drive ! woot ) Then half way through second he was a 1/4 panel ahead of me. Toward the end of 2nd we were dead even. When I shifted to third I was half a car ahead. From a dig to 93 ish.....
Old 07-17-2006, 04:39 PM

it was an RPM Mustangs Custom Spec Cam he said....Extremeeffect Heads, and a Borla Catback exhaust.... He would usually take me off the line (he knew how to drive that little thing), but i would catch him as he shifted a little and got into the top end of that 3.8 motor.... It was a great challenge everytime that was only ruined if his reaction time got screwed up or he missed a shift....
Wow... he had HEADS, too? (Originally, you said headers)

Something was wrong if he had P&P Heads and a RPM Cam, and was running 14.9. He should easily be over 200whp, around what a stock 99-04 Auto GT makes, as well as being 5-speed and a few hundred lbs. lighter. He should definately be running faster than that. But, who knows. Maybe heads/cam were poorly matched or something. Who knows.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Wow... he had HEADS, too? (Originally, you said headers)

Something was wrong if he had P&P Heads and a RPM Cam, and was running 14.9. He should easily be over 200whp, around what a stock 99-04 Auto GT makes, as well as being 5-speed and a few hundred lbs. lighter. He should definately be running faster than that. But, who knows. Maybe heads/cam were poorly matched or something. Who knows.
lol good point... but I only went by what he just said a few moments ago when i asked him....
Old 07-17-2006, 05:30 PM

i was referring to when i was running my 3.4L V-6 with 800 bucks worth of mods that had me running 14.8's..... Back then i was still in high school and i could scrape any 3.8L stang that challenged me.... Only the sticks down at Edgewater would run 15.5's.... my friend Andy got cams and headers for his and he managed a 14.9... He was my only challenge....

Do you any of you stang guys get **** for building up V-6 stangs? Cause believe it or not i get **** from fellow grand am owners around my place that are trying to build their 3.4's to beat me, but so far nooone has even come close to my 13.288

Yea, we get crap for building up the six. Not as bad as it was when we first got the cars. Still amusing to see a guy at the track walk up to my stang, look at the turbo and shake his head. But I let ET's speak for themselves. One guy gave me crap for not getting an 8, and when I asked about his ride, found out he had a V6 stang as a rental, and had a 4 door econobox.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rygen
One guy gave me crap for not getting an 8, and when I asked about his ride, found out he had a V6 stang as a rental, and had a 4 door econobox.
Yeah, it's definately ironic when I hear people with scions, Civics (other than the 06 Si), and the like, saying how slow V6 Mustangs are. I usually just post some actual info and my slower-than-stock 1/4 mile time and then no one ever replies to the thread again

Oh, and it's also fun, like you said, to let the ET do the talking. Now, my V6 has never been "fast", though it should be a little more respectable when I finish the H/C swap, but anyway...

One time, I pull up to the line against this lightly modded '03 or so Jetta 1.8T. So, we run down the 1/4 and he ends up winning by a nose, but only because he had a better reaction time, so I actually had the better ET. Anyway, so he pulls up next to me after we pick up our slips acting kinda smug, and...

Him: Man, how did I beat your GT?
Me: What did you run?
Him: 15.6
Me: Well, I ran 15.5 ......... and it's a stock V6

He probably went out and bought a chip the next day haha.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Banned

The SN197 does handle much better than the SN95 since Ford finally made a close copy of the F-Body rear end. Using 2 lower links, one upper and a panhard rod made a world of difference.

Although the 235 Pirelli's get the job done they look terrible and Ford should have used a wider tire.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Although the 235 Pirelli's get the job done they look terrible and Ford should have used a wider tire.
True...

Even my 105hp 2.3L Mustang came with 225's.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM

Not to mention the crap we get from the GT and Cobra owners.
well when a 6er with GT badges and fake duals gets beat at the track by a F'kin Scion it makes the rest of us look pretty bad

No one remembers the mid-low 8 second 1/8th ETs most of the GTs ran, they remember that "GT" that got smoked by a Scion.

But I got love for the V6s as long as they arent sporting GT, Bullitt, Mach or Cobra badges. Theres one bitch in town with a white V6 that has HUGE Mach 1 decals all over her car, and a riced out body kit to go with it.

BYW, Im trying to get my hands on #3416, TruBlue
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by helty
well when a 6er with GT badges and fake duals gets beat at the track by a F'kin Scion it makes the rest of us look pretty bad

No one remembers the mid-low 8 second 1/8th ETs most of the GTs ran, they remember that "GT" that got smoked by a Scion.

But I got love for the V6s as long as they arent sporting GT, Bullitt, Mach or Cobra badges. Theres one bitch in town with a white V6 that has HUGE Mach 1 decals all over her car, and a riced out body kit to go with it.
True, and I hate that crap as much as anyone... but you could say the same for a 94-98 Auto GT. ... except it's a REAL GT losing to a Scion haha.

It doesn't bother me at all when people rag on 6ers with GT/Cobra/Mach badges, but when someone mods their V6 tastefully, especially if it's also got some nice performance mods, and the GT/Cobra/Lightning owners rag on them then, that's annoying... though I'm used to it pretty much.

BYW, Im trying to get my hands on #3416, TruBlue
Nice! Let me know what happens with that.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM

but you could say the same for a 94-98 Auto GT.
or 96-98 manuals. We watched a VW Beetle beat a 96 GT by a good deal at the track a few months back. Granted, those little bastards can be made quick with their turbo and lightweight, but its still a damn Beetle
Nice! Let me know what happens with that.
Will do. just waiting for the bank to call me back. I'll post pics IF I get it so everyone can bitch about posting my new Mustang on a Cobalt site.

Its got one of those round things mounted in fron of the motor, and its connected to the intake pipe. Wonder what thats for????
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 AM

Yea, I agree with you guys, riced out stangs, GT (and other v8 class) posers **** me off.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 PM

i don't get all this talk about 99-04 GTs being mid 14 cars at best. stock, they can easily hit a 14.1-14.2 all night, with the very rare find of a 13.9 (yes, VERY rare, but it's been done). just like how most cobalt ss sc at the track will turn high 14s all night, with a few hitting a mid 14. oh, and them 05+ GTs can really move. the fastest i've personally seen one go is a 13.6, others have posted quicker stock times, but i haven't actually whitnessed it.

a lot of you have no room to talk either. yes, the stangs aren't that great from a roll and are only good from a dig. torque rocks you. roll racing proves nothing except you know how to mash the gas pedal after the 3rd honk.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Well with some of the videos I see hitting the gas after the third honk is much to challenging for some people.

Seriously though stock 99-04 GT's aren't 14.1-14.2 cars. LT1 F-Bodies stomp GT's from a roll and from a dig they still have the advantage but I would still correct anyone who said LT1's run 14.1-14.2 in the 1/4.

Out of the few 100% stock GT's that still exist 99.8% will run mid 14's. It isn't poor driving or conditions it's the whole 225WHP in a 3200lb car thing.

In equal conditions with equal driver ability and both 100% stock SS/SC vs GT will be a dead even heat. Anything after that the SS/SC will absolutly dominate the GT.

If you hate roll racing just do a 0-120mph challenge and watch the GT really get spanked.

Like I said before I have had my share of F-Bodies and Mustangs I know how fast they really are.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 PM

hi cody, were you banned from MF? as i've said. i see more stangs running low 14s than i see cobalts running mid 14s. and yeah, an LT1 is fair game for a 99-04 GT. it's a driver's race. you've been on MF, you've seen the vids and time slips of stock GTs running 14.1 and 14.2 all day. unless you were avoiding those threads. even in the drag section on this forum i see a lot of 14.7+.

yes, hitting the gas could be challenging for most retards.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by nanaki
hi cody, were you banned from MF? as i've said. i see more stangs running low 14s than i see cobalts running mid 14s. and yeah, an LT1 is fair game for a 99-04 GT. it's a driver's race. you've been on MF, you've seen the vids and time slips of stock GTs running 14.1 and 14.2 all day. unless you were avoiding those threads. even in the drag section on this forum i see a lot of 14.7+.

yes, hitting the gas could be challenging for most retards.
Not picking a fight, but how could a 260-275 horsepower Mustang GT (01-04) that weighs near equal amounts to F-bodies beat an LT1, which has 15% more horsepower and torque, not to mention a great top-end powerband. Sure, it's fair game...but an LT1 is just faster all together..it's much like racing a Balt SS/SC against an SRT-4. There's a chance, but the SRT-4 is just plain faster, and it will take a great Balt driver and a sucky SRT driver in order for the Balt to win. LT1's have a greater HP/weight ratio, as do the Cobalt SS/SC's. Greater HP/weight ratio. That's what matters. Only thing a Mustang has against a Balt is the dig, because it is RWD as comapred to FWD. So in a roll on, the Balt will most likely win. Mustangs are good, but just because they have a bigger motor and fatter tires doesn't mean they are faster.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

The 99-04 GT can take off easier than a LT1 F-Body so that helps it keep up in the 1/4.

And why you ask? Due t the weak ass worthless suspension that the GT has is better suited for the 1/4 than handling, braking or anything else a sports car should be able to do.

When it comes to anything like from a roll or high speed the LT1 hands a GT it's ass.

And nanaki I don't think I was banned I just have better things to do than listen to people tell me bullshit stories and how fast a stock GT is.

And if anyone with a Mustang would look at trap speed vs time in a GT and compare it to a SS/SC they would see which one is faster. Pull a 2.0 60ft in a SS/SC and a GT is dead.

I understand brand/model loyalty but people really take the capabilites of the 99-04 GT way to far. They suck at handling, braking, and anything over 120mph whats to like, to each there own I guess I like a mix of all or none at all.

Like I said on MF unless it whines, lopes or purges a 99-04 GT is nothing to worry about.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 PM

mine doesn't whine, lope or purge. it whistles.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nanaki you just joined two days ago... easy there n00b
Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM

or 96-98 manuals. We watched a VW Beetle beat a 96 GT by a good deal at the track a few months back. Granted, those little bastards can be made quick with their turbo and lightweight, but its still a damn Beetle

Will do. just waiting for the bank to call me back. I'll post pics IF I get it so everyone can bitch about posting my new Mustang on a Cobalt site.

Its got one of those round things mounted in fron of the motor, and its connected to the intake pipe. Wonder what thats for????

Man you aren't kidding there Helty. My 98 GT dynoed 198rwhp stock BAHAHAHAHA.

If there is one thing to be said about the Non-PI GT's it's that they make an excellent sleeper platform. I still have some of the LS1 drivers confused faces imprinted on my mind after I was done with her.

And now here I am with an LS1 based truck...funny how the things end up.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

Why? Did you weld in two of those joke store tail pipe whistles?

Well I guess joke store parts on a joke of a V8.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM

easy there? easy where? what did i say? "n00bs" aren't allowed to have an opinion like everybody else? i guess i need to go ***** the site to get my post count up so i'm allowed to have an opinion.

no codyss. my vortech whistles. despite popular belief, not ALL superchargers whine.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Why? Did you weld in two of those joke store tail pipe whistles?

Well I guess joke store parts on a joke of a V8.
Since when was low 12's all motor for less than 1500 a joke? I never got to run her at the track on the giggle gas (100 shot "NOSzle" kit that wasn't mine lol) but I put four lengths on a cammed z06 at the infamous "rankin road".

Geez man calm down...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu
Man you aren't kidding there Helty. My 98 GT dynoed 198rwhp stock BAHAHAHAHA.

If there is one thing to be said about the Non-PI GT's it's that they make an excellent sleeper platform. I still have some of the LS1 drivers confused faces imprinted on my mind after I was done with her.

And now here I am with an LS1 based truck...funny how the things end up.
PI swap with some Comp or VT cams FTW

I also happen to love the natural raked look the SN95s have. I removed my sway bar up front and now my car looks like its launching when its parked.

Quick Reply: 06 ss/sc vs. 00-04 Mustang GT