War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

06 SS/SC vs 06 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 06 SS/SC vs 06 WRX

So, to set things straight...I dont like to street race. But this guy in my ASE certification class has been nagging at me for the last 3 weeks to race his wrx. Then he got most of the class involved in it... So today i finally agreed. All he has done to his is a K&N filter, and a Greddy BOV. Mine just has a K&N, the rest is stock. Well, to be honest i thought i was going to loose but, when i started thinking about the HP lost through the AWD, i started to reconsider. We did 3 races from a dead stop. First race he jumped about a car length in front of me due to the AWD, but around 50 i passed him and pulled away from him all the way to 100. Second race was the same. The 3rd Race i got a little cocky and dumped the clutch about 5000 rpm , he jumped about 2 car lengths ahead of me since i was shredding the tires. I finally caught him about 80 and won by a door length... I guess tommorow in class I will have something to brag about...And he wont be asking me to race him again!

06 Victory Red SS/SC
K&N filter only
Old 09-14-2006, 01:29 AM

Good kill i have been wondering how much faster the new regular wrxs are i always thought they would be faster then us now but guess not good to know
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 AM

It was a damn close race! The best part was that both of us were nearly stock.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 AM

I raced one the other day on the highway from a 50 roll, i pulled on him threw 2nd and 3rd and he started to pull me alittle bit in the midrange 4th but just enough to make it even, from what i could tell from the outside he had some type of turbo back exhaust, but who knows if he had anything else under the hood. My mods are 3" catback
Old 09-14-2006, 01:37 AM

Ya these WRX's are a really tight race against our cars.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 AM

I test drove a 2005 WRX once and the salesman was awesome. He gave me the keys and said "now don't race her" and winked at me. Needless to say, as soon as I was out of sight I was tearing up pavement with it. Its traction was crazy good, but the power wasn't in the same league as our SS/SC cars. AWD gives you one hell of a launch but it was turbo lag city after that.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CSS87915
Good kill i have been wondering how much faster the new regular wrxs are i always thought they would be faster then us now but guess not good to know
The new WRXs and some of the old ones have ran high 13s. So I wouldn't put them out of your vision.

To the thread starter, tell your classmate to lose his noise makers that they are robbing him power, both the intake and BOV.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by superSS/SC
The new WRXs and some of the old ones have ran high 13s. So I wouldn't put them out of your vision.

To the thread starter, tell your classmate to lose his noise makers that they are robbing him power, both the intake and BOV.
Word.....bov's are useless...tuning doesn't solve the problem either...it just masks the problem. Intakes are okay if you tune for it...and even then sometimes they are a bitch to tune. 06's are no joke. Stock they can run high 13's with a good 60 ft. Stock for stock the wrx should be faster. But that depends on driver. But stock SS with stock 04-05 the SS has the edge up high.

But good kill none the less.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Good kill, let us know what happens in class ok
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome race dood!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2

VS

2006 WRX stock

=

WRX quit when he saw my second gear pull.

Wasent fair but did he ever lose badly.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

Not to be a smart ass but did WRX's get faster overnight?

From a dig the AWD is leaps and bounds better than FWD but from a roll these things are a joke. I know with tuning they can be fast like anything else can be but come on they aren't faster than a stock SS/SC in any year.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM

I may be wrong but I had always thought that a bov was supposed to hold boost better. If not that's some good cash just for a noise.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by codyss

From a dig the AWD is leaps and bounds better than FWD but from a roll these things are a joke. I know with tuning they can be fast like anything else can be but come on they aren't faster than a stock SS/SC in any year.
Maybe to 140 the CSS/SC might be faster, but in the quarter mile an 06 WRX TR is good for 13.8 stock.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 06' WRX has a larger displacement engine. Because of that, it only increased peak HP by like 3 or something, but across the board, the power is built much faster and holds.

They are definately no joke. The lag is absolutely not as much of an issue now, so watch out for that new fascia when you're messing around on the highway. I contemplated buying one, but I like the looks of the SS/SC better. Well, that and every frat dick around here owns a WRX. I've only seen two SS/SC in the area since I got mine in July.

Also, everyone is right about the bolt on's. Especially intake and BOV. They only hurt the new Scoobies. Only way to really make power that's worth the money is getting engine management and a bigger/different trim turbo. Everything else is just pissing money down the drain to try and hit low 13's.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edubs
The 06' WRX has a larger displacement engine. Because of that, it only increased peak HP by like 3 or something, but across the board, the power is built much faster and holds.

They are definately no joke. The lag is absolutely not as much of an issue now, so watch out for that new fascia when you're messing around on the highway. I contemplated buying one, but I like the looks of the SS/SC better. Well, that and every frat dick around here owns a WRX. I've only seen two SS/SC in the area since I got mine in July.

Also, everyone is right about the bolt on's. Especially intake and BOV. They only hurt the new Scoobies. Only way to really make power that's worth the money is getting engine management and a bigger/different trim turbo. Everything else is just pissing money down the drain to try and hit low 13's.
I believe some people have hit 12s in their stock turbo WRX.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rh06ss
I may be wrong but I had always thought that a bov was supposed to hold boost better. If not that's some good cash just for a noise.
There are different kinds of wastegate systems. On subaru's an atmospheric BOV hurts performence. Simply put.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by codyss

The 06s are faster than the previous gens.

But even some of the previous gens broke into the 13s

So unless you are talking roll racing only all of the WRXs have ran faster times than our ss/sc's.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:18 AM

nice kill...

now you can make eveyone know tomorrow who has the best car!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM

The BOV is suppose to help save the life of your turbo is what I always heard. When you are at full boost and you shift you let off the gas and hit the clutch. Well the second you let of the gas your throtle body shuts and a masive amount of pressure goes back into the turbo. Come on, no way this is good for your turbo. I had a Turbocoupe thunderbird once and this is what everybody in my car club told me. BOV are to help the turbo last longer, not increase power.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HViper
The BOV is suppose to help save the life of your turbo is what I always heard. When you are at full boost and you shift you let off the gas and hit the clutch. Well the second you let of the gas your throtle body shuts and a masive amount of pressure goes back into the turbo. Come on, no way this is good for your turbo. I had a Turbocoupe thunderbird once and this is what everybody in my car club told me. BOV are to help the turbo last longer, not increase power.
There are different wastegate systems, and different ways to expel the massive amounts of pressure.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock BOV that is on a WRX is a recirculative blow off valve. It dumps all of the air back into the intake. Aftermarket BOV's, that are atmospheric, dump all the pressure into the air creating that sound; however, that makes the car run rich because the air is not being put back into the intake. This is because the MAF sensor measures the air before the blow off valve return hose. Which means that car with the BOV isn't getting as much air as the MAF is telling the computer. As with all FI cars, they need to be on the rich side to prevent knock/detonation. The only way a BOV should be used on these Scoobies is if it's one that is adjustable as to how much it purges into the atmosphere and how much it recalculates. But really, who wants to go through all of that trouble to waste money. They're a fast car stock, and if you really want speed out of them, then you need something like Cobb to tune the hell out of it and raise the boost safely.

Trust me, that BOV is only hurting his time, tell him to take it off then race him again. Might be a bit closer of a race.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 PM

The stock BOV that is on a WRX is a recirculative blow off valve. It dumps all of the air back into the intake. Aftermarket BOV's, that are atmospheric, dump all the pressure into the air creating that sound; however, that makes the car run rich because the air is not being put back into the intake. This is because the MAF sensor measures the air before the blow off valve return hose. Which means that car with the BOV isn't getting as much air as the MAF is telling the computer. As with all FI cars, they need to be on the rich side to prevent knock/detonation. The only way a BOV should be used on these Scoobies is if it's one that is adjustable as to how much it purges into the atmosphere and how much it recalculates. But really, who wants to go through all of that trouble to waste money. They're a fast car stock, and if you really want speed out of them, then you need something like Cobb to tune the hell out of it and raise the boost safely.

Trust me, that BOV is only hurting his time, tell him to take it off then race him again. Might be a bit closer of a race.
Werd, couldnt have said it better myself!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLKSS
Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2

VS

2006 WRX stock

=

WRX quit when he saw my second gear pull.

Wasent fair but did he ever lose badly.
Hey man, if u ever in the GTA area...lets go for a friendly run! never ran a Stage 2 b4...should be more fair than a stock 06 WRX.

Cheers,
Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 AM

+2... Used to own a 03 wrx... I put one on and from personal experience... it makes the car run like s**t!! Big time... if you ever have ridden in one of the older wrx's and noticed turbo lag... wait until they put a BOV on it... 10x worse... I should have done my research on them. I now own an 06 wrx and it is a lot better than previous years... I am leaving it stock until the factory warranty runs out... then on to stage 2!! I was completely surprised with the cobalt though... when I had my 03... some older lady came up beside me in a cobalt... and she blew me away from a roll!!!! she put about a car on me from 20-60... which i now find out that the kid that bought my old car off the dealership said that my turbo blew out on him yesterday... sucks for him... haha.... and i knew it wasnt running right.... thats why i traded it in... but i am very happy with my 06!!! But I give props to the cobalt... wicked fast from a roll...

Quick Reply: 06 SS/SC vs 06 WRX