War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

06 SS/SC vs New Mazda Speed 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSrambamSS
your an idiot.... 30000 miles to open up an engine????? use your brain
Thanks for the compliment - I guess coming from a chimpanzee like you that makes me a genius I was talking specfiically about the Mazda engine, and just like the guy before me, rotary engines runs faster after an extensive break-in period.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 PM

ls series engines seem to run much better after a pretty extensive break in also, but you wouldn't dare argue with someone if they said an ls2 will run better after say 25k would you?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to let you know guys, the MS3 wasn't hyped up. They still hit 13.9 in the 1/4 at 100. I belive there's a couple videos of them on streetfire. But for stock ms3 and stock ss/sc, I think it will be dead even with the MS3 having a SLIGHT advantage from a roll
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM

I just read some magazine article on how the Speed3 was the best "bang for the buck" and even tho it sounds pretty impressive, I'd still say the SS/SC is the best in performance to cost ratio. For new cars anyways.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Mazdaspeed 3 Dyno

Check out the link. Automobile dyno's it plus a new Civic SI and a VW GTI 2.0T...The Mazdaspeed 3 put down 216whp and 245 wtq...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...daspeed3_dyno/
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2006ArrivalBlueSS
Thanks for the compliment - I guess coming from a chimpanzee like you that makes me a genius I was talking specfiically about the Mazda engine, and just like the guy before me, rotary engines runs faster after an extensive break-in period.
I know the rotary takes a long time to open up... but we were talking about the ms3's engine not an rx-8 stay on topic... a "regular" engine does not need 30,000 miles to break in... and whats wrong with chimpanzee's there cute
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 AM

I know the rotary takes a long time to open up... but we were talking about the ms3's engine not an rx-8 stay on topic... a "regular" engine does not need 30,000 miles to break in... and whats wrong with chimpanzee's there cute

rotary is still internal combustion... maybe not 30k, but 20k+ has been known to do alot of engiens some good, especially the ls series engines, which was my point. if we were talking ls engines you would say, "yeah they put down more power after some extensive mileage compared to the usual engine," but since we are talking about a competitor, you say different. The thing is, everyone here talks about how a honda cant touch their car cause of torque...yea well the ms3 has you by 80 ft lbs in the torque depertment. i am telling i know of more than one that has run 13s stock. ms3>sssc stock. not to start an argument. hey it is more expensive, so you should expect it. what i am saying is people shouldnt say the ms3 is overrated. t he fact is, an ms3 should ROCK a stock sssc.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
rotary is still internal combustion... maybe not 30k, but 20k+ has been known to do alot of engiens some good, especially the ls series engines, which was my point. if we were talking ls engines you would say, "yeah they put down more power after some extensive mileage compared to the usual engine," but since we are talking about a competitor, you say different. The thing is, everyone here talks about how a honda cant touch their car cause of torque...yea well the ms3 has you by 80 ft lbs in the torque depertment. i am telling i know of more than one that has run 13s stock. ms3>sssc stock. not to start an argument. hey it is more expensive, so you should expect it. what i am saying is people shouldnt say the ms3 is overrated. t he fact is, an ms3 should ROCK a stock sssc.
ummm... if you read a little earlier i said the mazda was faster and i never said they were over rated... i actually was gonna get the ms3 over the ss/sc... and the guy wasn't talking 20 or 30 "K" he said miles... theres a big difference there...30000 miles is a lot of "k's" to open a "regular" engine (too lazy to do the conversion but you catch my drift) and the only reason's i chose the cobalt is it's domestic and doesn't look like a 4 door wagon with big break calipers and rims.... but i must say the interior of the ms3 rips the cobalts
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 AM

i had a run with 1 less then a month ago now going home from work...i was just changing into 2nd gear and this red mazda 3 starts speeding up and i didnt catch the back of it to see what it really was other then the shape which was a wagon mazda 3 shape...and caught up to him and we both gave it and i was winning but by barely though, i didnt have traction until i went into 3rd gear and 4th and he was right by my passanger tirer so i was winning by a nose.. he kept driving and giving me the evil smile as he was still hanging with me and i am stock, nuthin done just an 05 model ss/sc with about 48000 k's on it. He was a good guy, gave me thumbs up and told me we'd run again when it was nicer but by that time, i'll have mods and be smoking him...but right off the line those cars are amazing...just hate the wagon idea.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=QuikSilverSS;927651]Check out the link. Automobile dyno's it plus a new Civic SI and a VW GTI 2.0T...The Mazdaspeed 3 put down 216whp and 245 wtq...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...daspeed3_dyno/[/QUOTE

thats a big lossfrom crank to wheel tq is good though, still hyped up and over rated in my opinion!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Banned

well its good to see pretty much a stage 2 cobalt with intake and exhuast was barely able to put a car on a stock mazda speed 3 , that sucks if you ask me

damn the gti only dynoed 178 thats weak

Last edited by Red2.4SS/SC; 03-23-2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM

ummm... if you read a little earlier i said the mazda was faster and i never said they were over rated... i actually was gonna get the ms3 over the ss/sc... and the guy wasn't talking 20 or 30 "K" he said miles... theres a big difference there...30000 miles is a lot of "k's" to open a "regular" engine (too lazy to do the conversion but you catch my drift) and the only reason's i chose the cobalt is it's domestic and doesn't look like a 4 door wagon with big break calipers and rims.... but i must say the interior of the ms3 rips the cobalts
He said 30 K...There is no conversion...K doesn't stand for kilometers (in this case), but instead, thousands! HAHAHA! K is a greek symbol for thousand, therefore, 30K=30000! LOL! Easy mistake...

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
well its good to see pretty much a stage 2 cobalt with intake and exhuast was barely able to put a car on a stock mazda speed 3 , that sucks if you ask me

damn the gti only dynoed 178 thats weak
Yeah, really shocked and appalled...I thought it would put down WAY more to the tires...Civic beat it!? (In power, and only by 2...) As for torque though, that is a pretty nice torque curve! I am also impressed by the Mazdaspeed3...Although, all things into account, 216 to the wheels in that car is a little weak too...Impressive, but not what everyone made it out to be. Torque curve is again pretty nice though. I think an SS/SC with MINOR mods (exhuast and what not), should be able to hang with it WELL...(ALL things into account...Weight, AWD vs. FW...Etc.)

P.S.
Don't a LOT of the SC's on here STOCK put down around 200whp? I saw some charts up around 215-216 hp, (Like the Mazda)...

Last edited by laserelectric; 03-23-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
they have lowered boost in first gear for traction.
its not lower boost only, timing is restricted as well. not only 1st, its 2nd and 3rd too iirc
Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Test drove both. The Mazda is no doubt faster, but not by much, and really shines up top IMO. I remember hearing how they were going to dominate the Neon based SRT-4, but the best I have heard track wise for an SRT-4 is a 13.6 and the best I've heard for an MS3 is 13.8 . I also look at it in a way that the MS3 runs consistant high 13's due to the limiter in the first few gears accompained by decent power up top. The SRT-4 is capable of lower times, and does something the Mazda hardly does, lose traction for the first few gears, as does the Balt. While the MS3 hooks and goes, the SS/SC and SRT spin tires and still compensate up top with power to run similar times.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by West Palm SRT4
Test drove both. The Mazda is no doubt faster, but not by much, and really shines up top IMO. I remember hearing how they were going to dominate the Neon based SRT-4, but the best I have heard track wise for an SRT-4 is a 13.6 and the best I've heard for an MS3 is 13.8 . I also look at it in a way that the MS3 runs consistant high 13's due to the limiter in the first few gears accompained by decent power up top. The SRT-4 is capable of lower times, and does something the Mazda hardly does, lose traction for the first few gears, as does the Balt. While the MS3 hooks and goes, the SS/SC and SRT spin tires and still compensate up top with power to run similar times.
if the person can drive, once those limiters are removed it WILL run faster times, mark my words. That limiter is just so idiots dont run into poles and rock the **** outta mazda in court. Once there is a tuning solution, that torque will do wonders in the right hands. it will be extreeeemly hard to launch, but will probably drop the times quite a bit.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

if the person can drive, once those limiters are removed it WILL run faster times, mark my words. That limiter is just so idiots dont run into poles and rock the **** outta mazda in court. Once there is a tuning solution, that torque will do wonders in the right hands. it will be extreeeemly hard to launch, but will probably drop the times quite a bit.
x2. You know Cobb or someone else will come out with something similar to HPtuners for that car. I'm, just happy that it isn't fater then the Neon based SRT-4.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by West Palm SRT4
x2. You know Cobb or someone else will come out with something similar to HPtuners for that car. I'm, just happy that it isn't fater then the Neon based SRT-4.
yea hopefully the aftermarket catches on with that car, it sucks that mazda has 0 aftermarket support they have some cars that would be great tuner cars. That ms6 is pretty tight cause it's real comfy and all but can perform well, the ms3 is a performance bargain, etc. Ford needs to incorporate more mazda attributes into their other divisions imo...all the recent mazdas are great cars for the money.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM

yea hopefully the aftermarket catches on with that car, it sucks that mazda has 0 aftermarket support they have some cars that would be great tuner cars. That ms6 is pretty tight cause it's real comfy and all but can perform well, the ms3 is a performance bargain, etc. Ford needs to incorporate more mazda attributes into their other divisions imo...all the recent mazdas are great cars for the money.
Agreed. I just wish it wasen't a damn hatch. I wish the Cobalt would get some more aftermarket backing, many people on here have the samemods and numbers, you can't really stand out.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 PM

I just found this thread. As someone who is torn between the SS/SC and the MS3, which way should I go? I like the Coupe design as well as the hatch for different reasons.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Well, I went to the dragstrip friday with Rob and his friend with a MS3.

I lined up against him, and on my timeslip, this is what it says

60ft 2.176 GOOD
1/8 9.283 Decent
1000 12.009
1/4 14.319 Pretty good
MPH 97.56 EHHHH I thought they trapped around 100, still an awsome time

On that run I spund real bad because of some spillage that happened a couple of cars before me at the staging area and ran a crappy 13.6 hehe

OH BY THE WAY, THIS WAS THE SAME MS3 IN THIS THREAD THAT BLUECOBALTSS06 RAN
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
Well, I went to the dragstrip friday with Rob and his friend with a MS3.

I lined up against him, and on my timeslip, this is what it says

60ft 2.176 GOOD
1/8 9.283 Decent
1000 12.009
1/4 14.319 Pretty good
MPH 97.56 EHHHH I thought they trapped around 100, still an awsome time

On that run I spund real bad because of some spillage that happened a couple of cars before me at the staging area and ran a crappy 13.6 hehe

OH BY THE WAY, THIS WAS THE SAME MS3 IN THIS THREAD THAT BLUECOBALTSS06 RAN
Wait, that was you in the Cobalt? What was the MS3's timeslip?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM

that is the ms3's, i ran a 13.6 when i ran against him

Here's a pic of his car

Last edited by memphisr24; 04-02-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM

Ok so this is stock MS3 vs stock SS/SC or do either of you got mods done?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Not haviong driven the stock SS/SC for a bit so I cant comment on that. But I test drove a MS3 and let me tell you a GMPP S2 will hang with it easily. I dont care what people say, my car had a GMPP S2 only and i test drove a MS3, and I know I can hang with it for sure. The MS3 is very very strong down low, but just is ssoooo damn powerless up top. That car needs a new cam for up top power, and a new tune. But stock for stock, I would give an edge for sure to a S2 SS/SC. And SLIGHT edge to a stock MS3 vs stock SS/SC IMO
Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 PM

The MS3 Is a great car stop knocking on it. The interior looks great and its probably better built than ours. Search in google they already have tunning methods for it, I think its called exede or some crap. Remember the MS3 runs richer than an evo, afr on them are in the 9's. Expect some serious power gains with just the tune, search on google I saw one dyno at around 290 whp and this was posted on evo forums if im not mistaken.

Heres a web site with the tunning product and dyno sheet, and yes those are whp numbers.
http://www.bellengineering.net/Pages/dyno_sheets.html

Last edited by joselo6; 04-02-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: 06 SS/SC vs New Mazda Speed 3