War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

1st real kill 07 ss/sc vs 06 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shortbus
If you think torque does not matter you really need to check up on that one.
I tried preaching that but it's a lost cause. It's like trying to teach trig to a sloth.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah man. I love it when Honda Si's talk struff and get owned. At the next light what happened? Probably didn't want to look at you.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by teh_punk
I tried preaching that but it's a lost cause. It's like trying to teach trig to a sloth.
I guess they think torque is overrated?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:42 AM

Like I said in the other thread...

All else being equal, all that matters is the area under the horsepower curve in the rpm range in which you race.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

If you think torque does not matter you really need to check up on that one.
Who said that????

AREA under the HORSEPOWER CURVE is all that matters, you have to have torque to have horsepower. If you are able to rev "high" you don't need as much torque to make a lot of horsepower, if you make a lot of torque you don't need to rev as high to make a lot of horsepower. Horsepower is what you want and need, whether its from a lot of torque or a lot of RPMs.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Like I said in the other thread...

All else being equal, all that matters is the area under the horsepower curve in the rpm range in which you race.
Tell that to all those diesels blowin past you putting out those "low" HP numbers under the curve and they only rev to 3-4K RPM's...Hahaha...LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UltraCSS
Tell that to all those diesels blowin past you putting out those "low" HP numbers under the curve and they only rev to 3-4K RPM's...Hahaha...LOL
Wow, you really do not get it.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 AM

Actually, when you're making 600tq, you're still making 300whp @ ~2626rpm, so that's not too shabby, and what makes diesels fast is that they don't have peaky horsepower curves like many other vehicles do.

Take a look at this dynosheet from a diesel F-series...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2474...63062029HeUyUG

Notice how the Horsepower curve stays virtually completely flat for almost half the chart, especially the blue one, and holds it's peak horsepower that entire time. While the peak hp numbers aren't amazing, the area under the curve is actually much higher than many other vehicles with higher "peak" hp values.

Take for instance, this S2000.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/article...2k_aem0804.gif

Notice how the horsepower peaks at over 200whp, but the horsepower drops off sharply on each side of that peak. Therefore, the area under the curve is much, much less than a Diesel making a peak of 200whp and holding it for the entire racing rpm range.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 AM

What I get is this,to move a certain load the quickest you have to have maximum torque not horsepower...If no torque then how are you going to get to your horsepower peak. I do agree w/ you on the area under the curve, if you are trying to improve the power on the same engine then you need to improve the torque curve by making it as long and flat and high as possible thus giving more power because, and I'm sure you'll agree that, TQ directly affects HP output. But to say that all you need is HP is B.S. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'll give you a car with 1000hp and 1ft/lb of torque and I'll take a car w/ 1hp and 1000ft/lb of torque and I'll be waiting for you somewhere in the distant future...

Disclaimer: The output of such said cars are next to impossible as we know HP= TQxRPM/5252 and was only said to make a point...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 AM

hee hee...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbnozIGfkE
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 AM

What I get is this,to move a certain load the quickest you have to have maximum torque not horsepower...If no torque then how are you going to get to your horsepower peak. I do agree w/ you on the area under the curve, if you are trying to improve the power on the same engine then you need to improve the torque curve by making it as long and flat and high as possible thus giving more power because, and I'm sure you'll agree that, TQ directly affects HP output. But to say that all you need is HP is B.S. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'll give you a car with 1000hp and 1ft/lb of torque and I'll take a car w/ 1hp and 1000ft/lb of torque and I'll be waiting for you somewhere in the distant future...

Disclaimer: The output of such said cars are next to impossible as we know HP= TQxRPM/5252 and was only said to make a point...
Umm... the car with 1000hp will DEMOLISH the one with 1hp.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 AM

Not if it can't get moving and that is the whole point...sure once it get's moving and on it's way but it will have to play catch up big time...and by that time it's game over, sitting at the house drinking a cold one, kinda like the hare and the tourtoise (sp.)...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 AM

Not if it can't get moving and that is the whole point...
Just put it in the powerband and go. Not a problem.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Yeah man. I love it when Honda Si's talk struff and get owned. At the next light what happened? Probably didn't want to look at you.
He didn't say anything just smirked and turned to the right
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM

nice kill,but I think the Sis need to be left for the 2.4s,way more even races between these two NA's then you SCed monsters
Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM

wow is all i have to say about the knowlege of some people, wtf do you think moves your wheels and accelerate's the car, pushing you back into your seat? Its not all about horsepower, maybe you should try google next time.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:42 AM

wow is all i have to say about the knowlege of some people, wtf do you think moves your wheels and accelerate's the car, pushing you back into your seat? Its not all about horsepower, maybe you should try google next time.
i thought vtec, pushed me in to my seat, damn... what is this google you speak of?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM

When it comes to racing, torque is a meaningless number unless the rate at which it is applied is taken into consideration... which is exactly what Horsepower does.

I'll say it again,

All that ultimately matters is the area under the horsepower curve in the rpm range where racing occurs.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM

good kill man, those hondas that come with the k20 motor stock aint nothing really, i mean everyones like i got vtec and this and that, it's nothing to be worried about unless its a k20 hatch haha
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM

All that ultimately matters is the area under the horsepower curve in the rpm range where racing occurs.
Very true but you can type until you cramp your wrists up, some people will still not get it.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SS4ME
Very true but you can type until you cramp your wrists up, some people will still not get it.
Haha... I know. I've posted several extensive explanations on here before on the subject, but there will always be people who disagree or who just don't get it.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Haha... I know. I've posted several extensive explanations on here before on the subject, but there will always be people who disagree or who just don't get it.
His name explains all.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by blackngold20
Today as I was going to the base I work at, I rolled up on a 06 black civic si. I kinda pushed him a little so he'd race me. So, finally we got side by side and he down shifted and took off and I went after him and killed him in 3rd gear. We got to a light and he wanted to go from a stop. He said "I don't need no supercharger". So I told him, "I'll show you why you need something". The light turned green and he stayed with me in 1st but in second he tried to keep up hit his rev limiter and I floated right by him waving bye.

Not bad for a quick kill I guess...
Not bad at all
Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Your all entitled to what ever you wanna think is right, So if what you say is right, when is a engine most efficient?
Torque is the static measurement of how much work an engine does, while power is a measure of how fast the work is being done. Since horsepower is calculated from torque, what we are all seeking is the greatest-possible torque value over the broadest-possible rpm range. Horsepower will follow suit, and it will fall in the engine speed range dictated by the many factors that affect the torque curve.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Your all entitled to what ever you wanna think is right, So if what you say is right, when is a engine most efficient?
We don't think anything is right. We know we are right.

When is aN engine most efficient??? When it is idling in a car going downhill. DUH!

When will a car accelerate the fastest??? Hint: don't say peak torque .

Quick Reply: 1st real kill 07 ss/sc vs 06 civic si