War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

2.4SS VS. 06 civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoBOT
with = drivers.. 06 SI > 2.4SS, NUMBERS PROVE THIS.
x100000000
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SI *feels* slower because it has less torque. Torque is what you feel, horsepower is more closely related to acceleration.
You do realize that horsepower is basically torque over time right?

You could have a 300hp SI but if it takes till 15000rpm to make 300hp, it's not going to be fast.

BTW, nobody is disputing an SS is slower than an SI stock vs stock.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by sethallen
x100000000
Why do so many translate their cars to the quarter mile(boring) go to a track course and to be honest the Si is real sweet handling car.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=06G5GT]You do realize that horsepower is basically torque over time right?

You could have a 300hp SI but if it takes till 15000rpm to make 300hp, it's not going to be fast.

BTW, nobody is disputing an SS is slower than an SI stock vs stock.[/QUOTE]

i guess i read the thread wrong...but i still dont think that a 2.4 even with a tune and bolt ons is faster than an SI....the 1/4's speak for themselves....i have never seen a 2.4 timeslip even into the 14's
Old 07-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTP
Facts he says..bah. Its your fact. Sis can be beat by Cobalt 2.4s that's my fact. I did it all night long on a drag track with equal mods. He was truning 2.3 60 foot times as well. He was losing down the track... Herein ends the fact lesson b'bye come again next week when CoBot says....NO Si CAN EVER LOSE...
When have I ever said a 2.4SS CANT beat a 06SI??? Never. I said with = drivers stock to stock the SI will win. I had a lot of respect for you and your car, being one of the fastest NA/SSs and all, but you are being rather lame in this thread.

Originally Posted by GTP
I am outta here too ...this is making my brain hurt. I called my old engine builder and read it to him, he spit his Starbucks on the keyboard.
I am guessing the keyword in this statement is old, he is probably one of those "old" guys that believes "horsepower sells cars and torque wins races".
Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
So uh who exactly should we quote? Do you have proof of your weight? I'm kinda curious now as to what mine will actually weigh in at seeing as your was so light on that scale.
I gotta question that weight too. I don't think he's lying---just that the scale is wrong. Coupes are lighter then sedans. I don't have leather/sunroof----and I am 2815lbs. Government highway scale. I will be going to another scale some time to reverify
Old 07-27-2006, 09:28 AM
GTP

Originally Posted by avro206
I gotta question that weight too. I don't think he's lying---just that the scale is wrong. Coupes are lighter then sedans. I don't have leather/sunroof----and I am 2815lbs. Government highway scale. I will be going to another scale some time to reverify

Hmm well may be Avro but it was calibrated...ok I never trust scales but even if the scale is still wrong, by 50 lbs. itd be around 750-2760 and may be the scale you weighted on was wrong by 50lbs heavy..the two car would be alomost in the same ball park.

Still becuase of options, most SS/SCs carry way more options, leather, system, most have roof and all the air bags which adds it all up to 2900-3000 or so.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
GTP

When have I ever said a 2.4SS CANT beat a 06SI??? Never. I said with = drivers stock to stock the SI will win. I had a lot of respect for you and your car, being one of the fastest NA/SSs and all, but you are being rather lame in this thread.

You need to re-read the context of this thread. You changed it midstream to stock versus stock. Not I. I have never raced a stock versus stock race. I do not quote magazine tests as FACT it is an estimate and those numbers can vary with track temp, elevation, tires just like variances from dyno to dyno. I have been tuning and building, racing cars for close to 20 years. There's a alot of speculation in everything you've said.

If I run a stock 2.4 v. an SI and always win because of driver, (they are that close) then what does it matter, I'll never be driving an Si so its moot.

Also-sorry you think me lame now, I stand up for what I beleive in and based upon my experience it has credible foundation....if that's lame, that's the way it is.

I am guessing the keyword in this statement is old, he is probably one of those "old" guys that believes "horsepower sells cars and torque wins races":rolleyes

I meant old as in previous, His (he's 34) cars are still wining races a few national champs as recently as this spring...so huh...I think your definition was corrected earlier in the thread and I'll leave it at that (trying not to be lame).:.

inserted....

Last edited by GTP; 07-27-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM

I am guessing the keyword in this statement is old, he is probably one of those "old" guys that believes "horsepower sells cars and torque wins races".
Obviously it does since your all over the Honda's nuts...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM

Honda Civic SI
2.0-liter, DOHC i-VTECŽ engine
• 197 hp @ 7800 rpm
• 139 lb.-ft. of torque @ 6100 rpm

Cobalt SS/SC

dual overhead cam, 16-valve
supercharged and intercooled
aluminum alloy inline four-cylinder
Engine Size 2.0 liters / 122 cu. in.
Horsepower 205 @ 5600 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 200 @ 4400 rpm
Transmission 5-speed manual

Cobalt Wins.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RicerHater
Honda Civic SI
2.0-liter, DOHC i-VTECŽ engine
• 197 hp @ 7800 rpm
• 139 lb.-ft. of torque @ 6100 rpm

Cobalt SS/SC

dual overhead cam, 16-valve
supercharged and intercooled
aluminum alloy inline four-cylinder
Engine Size 2.0 liters / 122 cu. in.
Horsepower 205 @ 5600 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 200 @ 4400 rpm
Transmission 5-speed manual

Cobalt Wins.
they are chatting about 2.4's reens

P.S. I want more boobie pics lmao
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTP
inserted....
I never changed from = drivers though, which was the case that you beat *ONE* SI.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 PM
GTP

I never changed from = drivers though, which was the case that you beat *ONE* SI.
I've beaten a few..one at the track a few on the street is a different story.

And when I was bone stock I got into it with an 06 RSX Type S on the street. We hit it from a light, I breathed it because I thought he wasn't going to go, he did... so I had to get back on it and we ended up braking with my nose at his quarter panel with me in 4th. I wasn't losing ground.

This argument is pointless...
Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sethallen
i posted earlier that i still drive his car all the time. he drove mine also, and yes we raced like this, and the SI still won. 06 SI < 2.4 COBALT Is there ANY 2.4 in the 14's even highly modded? Stock SI's are high 14's. This should answer the question. Why are we still arguing. Go look at the magazine rated 1/4's...even if there aren't any 2.4 1/4's, then compare magazine SI 1/4's to the 1/4s posted here. Your guys' arguing is like saying that the ss/ss will beat a z06. It's simply just fictional. Get over it. And if you disagree, like I said, come to downriver MI, and you can race a stock SI,, and you will lose.
I think the comparison between the 2.4 and SI is a little closer than a SS/SC and a Z06.

SS/SC vs. Z06= Fictional
2.4 vs. Si= Drivers race
Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Hey Gtp, the teck at my dealership who bought my Vibe did a 13.2 at 1/4 mile dont know **** about this straitline crap but it was his first go with the vibe(turbonetics turbo) talk about sleeper car eh, he bought it from me because he needed a car like this for his dogs but wanted a little uumphh that the lot vibes didnt have.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by djt81185
they are chatting about 2.4's reens

P.S. I want more boobie pics lmao
haha my badd....blondes u know...a lil slow....haha damn....
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RicerHater
haha my badd....blondes u know...a lil slow....haha damn....
u didnt address my pic request...my pm box is waiting lol
Old 07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by g5mike
Hey Gtp, the teck at my dealership who bought my Vibe did a 13.2 at 1/4 mile dont know **** about this straitline crap but it was his first go with the vibe(turbonetics turbo) talk about sleeper car eh, he bought it from me because he needed a car like this for his dogs but wanted a little uumphh that the lot vibes didnt have.

Was it the vibe GT with the 2zz? If so yeah I bet that scoots. Wait until I debadge the 4 door. Put sleeper rims on it and hang a snail on the engine..
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 PM

I know you guys will flame me for this, flame away, BUT I was looking in motor trend and they had the COTY award. It went to the civic. They had numbers on a stock SI

2850ish lbs
197hp
143? lb/ft

0-60 = 6.7seconds
1/4 = 15.7 seconds

they also had a 06 cobalt SS2.4 sedan in there that was slower to sixty 7.1seconds and had a .1 or .2 fast quarter. I'll try and find what edition that was and post that too. If we're going based on numbers then if the 4 door SS Sedan can beat in IN THE 1/4 then a lighter smaller (not by much) coupe can probably beat it.

*Disclaimer: I read this in motortrend, its a magazine, can't believe everything you read*

But if we are basing this on numbers than those numbers show the SS would win in the 1/4....

Alas I have not raced an SI so I cannot say for sure. Just thought I'd chime in.

Thanks for reading
Old 07-27-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by GTP
Was it the vibe GT with the 2zz? If so yeah I bet that scoots. Wait until I debadge the 4 door. Put sleeper rims on it and hang a snail on the engine..
Ya theold?new vibe was a 2zzz with the turbonetics stage 3 ballbearing fast spooling turbo. he has the car at 330hp now whrn i had it it was 280,few upgrades and vola.He bugged me for months to buy it, and I was not happy with the looks. sold it and made some ggod coin,but word up to any Balts in the Vancouver area you see what looks to be like a little wagon,dont' mess with it
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by GTP
sleeper cars are fun I agree, I smoked some rides out there that we would not do in the Balt, well thats till some guys turbo these 2.4s,i for one am staying stock
Old 07-27-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by synapse82
I know you guys will flame me for this, flame away, BUT I was looking in motor trend and they had the COTY award. It went to the civic. They had numbers on a stock SI

2850ish lbs
197hp
143? lb/ft

0-60 = 6.7seconds
1/4 = 15.7 seconds

they also had a 06 cobalt SS2.4 sedan in there that was slower to sixty 7.1seconds and had a .1 or .2 fast quarter. I'll try and find what edition that was and post that too. If we're going based on numbers then if the 4 door SS Sedan can beat in IN THE 1/4 then a lighter smaller (not by much) coupe can probably beat it.

*Disclaimer: I read this in motortrend, its a magazine, can't believe everything you read*

But if we are basing this on numbers than those numbers show the SS would win in the 1/4....

Alas I have not raced an SI so I cannot say for sure. Just thought I'd chime in.

Thanks for reading
nice find but you are right, ya can not go by magazines,but maybe ones opion. sethallen loses to his bros Si, and I beat the Sis, so yes there are many different factors involved,that being said"magazines Suck"My 2.4 will not keep up at highway race speeds to an Si but he will not keep up to me light to light either, also Iam sure Sethallen would agree that the Si stock is better handleling than a 2.4 stock
Old 07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
GTP

Ya theold?new vibe was a 2zzz with the turbonetics stage 3 ballbearing fast spooling turbo. he has the car at 330hp now whrn i had it it was 280,few upgrades and vola.He bugged me for months to buy it, and I was not happy with the looks. sold it and made some ggod coin,but word up to any Balts in the Vancouver area you see what looks to be like a little wagon,dont' mess with it

Do you have any pics? I was gonna do one of those after my Subaru. I got scared about no engine magament and the fact that every one I'd seen killed the bottom end after a few thousand miles.

Did you build on the stock block? 6 Speed? What about engine management?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:27 PM

nice find but you are right, ya can not go by magazines,but maybe ones opion. sethallen loses to his bros Si, and I beat the Sis, so yes there are many different factors involved,that being said"magazines Suck"My 2.4 will not keep up at highway race speeds to an Si but he will not keep up to me light to light either, also Iam sure Sethallen would agree that the Si stock is better handleling than a 2.4 stock

I'd concur with the SI being a better handler. Also I feel its in a different class as well. an SI costs about 3 - 4G's more stock form than an SS 2.4 right? Either way that brings up the idea of it not being stock anymore...so that really isn't a valid arguement. But with 3-4 g's to work with I could make the cobalt spank a STOCK Si. This too is not a fair comparo, but hey, you have to take what you get and run with it.

Life's all about adapting. If you want to pay more for a higher quality car, by all means. If I had the money I would have probably opted for an Si or an RSX. Interior quality seems better longer. I didn't like the look of the new civics AT ALL. Sorry for the tangent.

I think I'm done rambling. Hope that had some order to it.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by synapse82
I'd concur with the SI being a better handler. Also I feel its in a different class as well. an SI costs about 3 - 4G's more stock form than an SS 2.4 right? Either way that brings up the idea of it not being stock anymore...so that really isn't a valid arguement. But with 3-4 g's to work with I could make the cobalt spank a STOCK Si. This too is not a fair comparo, but hey, you have to take what you get and run with it.

Life's all about adapting. If you want to pay more for a higher quality car, by all means. If I had the money I would have probably opted for an Si or an RSX. Interior quality seems better longer. I didn't like the look of the new civics AT ALL. Sorry for the tangent.

I think I'm done rambling. Hope that had some order to it.
excellent way Of putting the monatary difference, here in Canada it is more like 6000thou differece

Quick Reply: 2.4SS VS. 06 civic SI