War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

2.4SS VS. V6 Tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im pretty sure it was a 4 cyl, or he would have hung right with you. or he sucked at driving and didint drop into a low enough gear. you cant say all tibs are slow, there are s/c tibs just as fast as your S/C cobalts all over the place, and N/A tibs, that will kick the pants off your N/A SS's....so be careful I can hang with or pull on stock 05-06 SS/SC's and i have ran down 4 or 5 SSN/A's and im N/A myself.

Whoever said the new tibs arecoming out with 260hp needs to check their facts. There is no proof of that yet, so next time it would be better to think before you type.
1slowbowtie seems to be one of the only members in this thread with half a brain.

Also, you can magazine race all you want, but what it comes down to is driving skill, especially in a manual transmission car. (or 2)

Last edited by phlash; 09-07-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cMw
haha nice kill dude, its a hyundai what did you expect :P
Expect more.....anything can be made fast, whether its a hyundai, or a chevy slowbalt....look at what the did with the SS/SC its a quick car right off the showroom floor...but when you get down to brass taxes, its a modified cobalt with a few options....Take an Eaton MP62 blower and drop 8lbs of boost through a v6 tiburon(which is N/A and slower than a stock SS/SC) and see who comes out ahead, HP wise and tq as well. I saw a crappy lookin vw rabbit at the track the other night running consistent 10.80s, its all about money.....
Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Travi-ss-
good kill man! i wonder how modded one would have to be to run with a ss/sc......theres a few around my area that have a lot of work done
You can see my mods in my sig, and I ran .1 -.2 faster than my buddy stock.....now that he pulley'd, (gm stage 2) somehow I cant seem to hang anymore
Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zenkat
Uhhhhh, no. All the newest Tibby are 172hp, with magazine times of 15.6@88. Not very quick at all.
thank you for actually doing a little research.......I ran 15.1xx@91.x bone stock with a 60' time of 2.2seconds. As I said above....its all in the driver
Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by phlash
im pretty sure it was a 4 cyl, or he would have hung right with you. or he sucked at driving and didint drop into a low enough gear. you cant say all tibs are slow, there are s/c tibs just as fast as your S/C cobalts all over the place, and N/A tibs, that will kick the pants off your N/A SS's....so be careful I can hang with or pull on stock 05-06 SS/SC's and i have ran down 4 or 5 SSN/A's and im N/A myself.

Whoever said the new tibs arecoming out with 260hp needs to check their facts. There is no proof of that yet, so next time it would be better to think before you type.
1slowbowtie seems to be one of your only members with half a brain.

Also, you can magazine race all you want, but what it comes down to is driving skill, especially in a manual transmission car. (or 2)
I have already said,I confused this thread to a thread concerning the eclipse I know the tibby is not 260hp,I have drove tibbys and I still think korean made cars are the bottom of the barrel, Think twice before you say members on this site have no brains,Im pretty sure anyone on here with a fair amount of secondary eduacation would agrue that point with you
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM

let me edit that post.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expect more.....anything can be made fast, whether its a hyundai, or a chevy slowbalt....look at what the did with the SS/SC its a quick car right off the showroom floor...but when you get down to brass taxes, its a modified cobalt with a few options....Take an Eaton MP62 blower and drop 8lbs of boost through a v6 tiburon(which is N/A and slower than a stock SS/SC) and see who comes out ahead, HP wise and tq as well. I saw a crappy lookin vw rabbit at the track the other night running consistent 10.80s, its all about money.....

I don't give hyundais much credit ever since my 94 v6 camaro beat one and my cousins base model matrix kept up with him. Pretty sad really.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:42 PM

let me edit that post.
Fair enough my apologies,sorry for the over reaction
Old 09-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver83
I don't give hyundais much credit ever since my 94 v6 camaro beat one and my cousins base model matrix kept up with him. Pretty sad really.
the stock v6's are truthfully not that fast, and the 4cyls? dont even get me started....unless you go F/I on the 4s, and even when you HIGHLY N/A modify the v6s they still are high 13 second cars. About your race with one tib in your v6 camaro, you cant hold that true to all Hyundais just cause you beat one tiburon, one time, if you had beaten 4 or 5 with all different drivers and you smoked the hell out of v6's that had anything done to them, id tell you congratulations, you're a hell of a driver
Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 PM

the stock v6's are truthfully not that fast, and the 4cyls? dont even get me started....unless you go F/I on the 4s, and even when you HIGHLY N/A modify the v6s they still are high 13 second cars. About your race with one tib in your v6 camaro, you cant hold that true to all Hyundais just cause you beat one tiburon, one time, if you had beaten 4 or 5 with all different drivers and you smoked the hell out of v6's that had anything done to them, id tell you congratulations, you're a hell of a driver
It was a v6, that i know.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
Fair enough my apologies,sorry for the over reaction
no problems bud, I should have thought out my sentance better

I just get tired of everyone saying, hyundai sucks, its a piece of crap Korean car, blah blah blah, when they dont take time to look at the facts, and that is YES Hyundai did used to build VERY poor cars, but they have came along way in the past 4-5 years, even ranking higher than toyota, and honda by JD Power and Assoc. in quality.

Thats why they had to implement the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warrenty when NO ONE else was doing it, because they had such a bad rep for putting out crap.

Truth be told, our cars arent that fast, unless you have a fair amount of cash to drop into them, and there are low 12 sec tibs out there(there may even be a sub 12 second one by now im not sure) But at least have the respect to do a little research before shooting off your mouth with garbage.

I don't diss the cobalts when I beat them or they beat me, have the same respect please.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:54 PM

no problems bud, I should have thought out my sentance better

I just get tired of everyone saying, hyundai sucks, its a piece of crap Korean car, blah blah blah, when they dont take time to look at the facts, and that is YES Hyundai did used to build VERY poor cars, but they have came along way in the past 4-5 years, even ranking higher than toyota, and honda by JD Power and Assoc. in quality.

Thats why they had to implement the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warrenty when NO ONE else was doing it, because they had such a bad rep for putting out crap.

Truth be told, our cars arent that fast, unless you have a fair amount of cash to drop into them, and there are low 12 sec tibs out there(there may even be a sub 12 second one by now im not sure) But at least have the respect to do a little research before shooting off your mouth with garbage.

I don't diss the cobalts when I beat them or they beat me, have the same respect please.
Very true,I would love to have your warrenty,I would consider keeping my car long term. I would rather have a FI 4 cyl than an NA v6 though,I, just find 4 bangers more fun.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 PM

I have 93,000 miles on my car, my warrenty is about up.....its in the shop right now getting a few little misc things fixed before i go over the mileage....(gotta love the dealer that knows your car is as modified as it is, and still covers crap)
Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM

I have 93,000 miles on my car, my warrenty is about up.....its in the shop right now getting a few little misc things fixed before i go over the mileage....(gotta love the dealer that knows your car is as modified as it is, and still covers crap)
My buds tibby dealer is really cool about his mods also,depends on the dealer really, my dealer knows of the few mods I have and they could care less
Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 PM

I would love to know a Chevy dealer like that. (within driving distance)
Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 PM

some of the hyundai dealers try to void warrenties over a CAI
Old 09-07-2006, 07:05 PM

some of the hyundai dealers try to void warrenties over a CAI
That's retarded.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM

I guess dealers are the same everywhere. Unless you get a good one you're gonna get Fed in the A.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 PM

no kidding.......hello magnason moss of 1982
Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 PM

no kidding.......hello magnason moss of 1982
You're assuming that everyone can read, apparently dealers either can't read or didn't get the memo.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:10 PM

hahahahahahaha...i gotta agree with you there!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 PM

no it was a dark blue Tiburon GT V6 with Injen stickers on the back window and you can hear the CAI suck in air, so pretty much he probably sucked at driving but he must have sucked bad cuz I pulled him really really hard

1slowbowtie seems to be one of the only members in this thread with half a brain.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
no it was a dark blue Tiburon GT V6 with Injen stickers on the back window and you can hear the CAI suck in air, so pretty much he probably sucked at driving but he must have sucked bad cuz I pulled him really really hard
When I owned my Tib, alot of the 4cyl owners were putting the GTV6 badge on their cars, yes it's rice, but it's everywhere so what can you do? I love my Cobalt and I have respect for all trim levels, but a V6 Tib is only a dog because of the exhaust and intake put on the car, put there for emissions and to keep the MPG respectable. The dark blue was only an option in 03-04, after that it went to a sort of electric blue, and they started the SE/GT models that are V6. In 03-04, you had a GTV6, or a 4cyl. If it was indeed a GT, it would have had a spoiler, possible a high one, and 17 inch wheels stock (16's if it's an auto V6). But once again he could've added these things. Only way to truely know is to get with the guy and talk to him. If you pulled on him really hard as you stated with an auto and only an intake, he had to have sucked very bad at driving the man, or it just wasnt a 6. Im not trying to bash, just trying to back up a car I still have respect for.

This is an Injen dyno with only a CAI installed...
http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...les/rd1375.jpg
Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
What about the Tibby GT-T? A Friend... an EX-friend of mine and my Girlfriends has one. Says she would take me easy... Stock... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Says my car is too puffy... her's is more sporty... low to the ground.. I said, Yeah... well my Supercharger pushes a pretty puffy 12.5psi (15 now!!!). Anyways... I've tried looking up this GT-T... and am finding nothing... does anybody know anything about them? Are they special in some way? I'm sure it is probably the same V6 170 something hp motor like all. Just curious.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 AM

when i see GT-T that means to me that is a normal gt with a turbo

Quick Reply: 2.4SS VS. V6 Tiburon