War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

20-70...SSSC vs. 5.7 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20-70...SSSC vs. 5.7 GTO

Cruising home from a party this morning, I'm on a two lane rd and I see a black gto ahead. I'm bored and want to have some fun, so I cruise up, rev it, and accelerate a little to show him I'm interested. He bolts past traffic and I follow, and we catch a light. His windows are up and tinted, as are mine, so I just relax off the line, he does the same, both waiting for the other to make a move. Finally about 25MPH I decide to see if he'll play and punch it. He takes off like a bat out of hell as soon as I do, and stays even with my fender (the point he was at when he reacted). I shift to third, he shifts, neither of us are gaining or losing. I shut down at 70 because we're on a 55MPH rd, he shuts down soon after. I catch back up, roll the window down, thumbs up, keep going. He catches me a couple miles later at a light, rolls the window down "That thing got a turbo?" "Nope, blower" "Ah ok, I thought I heard something. Quick little car man, nice work!" Light turned green, i was going left, we rev at each other and wave and go our separate ways. i was very pleased with the result, figured I'd get stomped. I'd love to run one where I have some more room to play and see how it would go down.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:26 PM

sounds like fun. good job holding him off.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

nice
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM

must have been a a4. 6sp would or should have been a different outcome... if your is stock and so was his then props to you for better driveing... personally while mine was stock my son's srt4 stock would not our run my 04 gto stock. and i have raced many cobalt ss and never a loss to one. good run... if you are still stock then port the blower, smaller pulley, better exhaust and it will come alive for sure...
Old 05-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 04goat
must have been a a4. 6sp would or should have been a different outcome... if your is stock and so was his then props to you for better driveing... personally while mine was stock my son's srt4 stock would not our run my 04 gto stock. and i have raced many cobalt ss and never a loss to one. good run... if you are still stock then port the blower, smaller pulley, better exhaust and it will come alive for sure...
Every time someone says they beat or tied a gto, you always chime in with the remark,
"must have been this or that, because it should have been a different outcome." A 04 gto only has 350hp stock, and they weight in at suv weights. If the guy can't drive, than it will be even worse.

Now there is a possibility that a lighter car with a good driver can win or tie a race, so stop chiming in every time and make excuses for the gto. They are not that great.

I just needed to vent!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM

He isnt saying it didnt happen he is just saying that it was an auto a4 which it prolly was. I trapped @ 110 stock LS2 M6. The a4 04 traps a lil over 100 And the ss/sc traps at what 98 or something so it sounds plausible.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jester
He isnt saying it didnt happen he is just saying that it was an auto a4 which it prolly was. I trapped @ 110 stock LS2 M6. The a4 04 traps a lil over 100 And the ss/sc traps at what 98 or something so it sounds plausible.
it is possible with the 6-speed also. there are so many variables. I seen weird stuff happen all the time.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by srowler9
Every time someone says they beat or tied a gto, you always chime in with the remark,
"must have been this or that, because it should have been a different outcome." A 04 gto only has 350hp stock, and they weight in at suv weights. If the guy can't drive, than it will be even worse.

Now there is a possibility that a lighter car with a good driver can win or tie a race, so stop chiming in every time and make excuses for the gto. They are not that great.

I just needed to vent!
I don't care how heavy it is, a stock GTO even if it is an auto and a 5.7 will beat a stock cobalt hands down. No one is saying it did not happen because it could. This is exactly why people get into these threads and they end up going 50 pages and locked!

My cobalt trapped 100mph stock.

and to the OP, good job.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 05-07-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I don't care how heavy it is, a stock GTO even if it is an auto and a 5.7 will beat a stock cobalt hands down. No one is saying it did not happen because it could. This is exactly why people get into these threads and they end up going 50 pages and locked!

My cobalt trapped 100mph stock.

and to the OP, good job.
haha yea I was making a generalization, maybe100 maybe 102 or something, but I am just saying on a short race like that they can look like they are even. I mean if its only like 5 mph difference in a trap speed its not gonna look like someone instantly pulls. So I believe the op but after like 100 or so I think the goat would have started pulling a lil.
I raced a stage2 SS/SC and the first time he got the punch and we only went for about 20mph or so... it looked kinda close. But when he honked I put atleast 5 cars on it.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts

Enter GTO Trolls.

Haha, good kill man. I wanna run a few as well. One of the few cars I don't see many of around here.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP

Enter GTO Trolls.

Haha, good kill man. I wanna run a few as well. One of the few cars I don't see many of around here.
If you got bored you could make the drive to Youngstown sometime haha.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 AM

As a former owner of an LS2 GTO (had it for 2 years) and a current SS/SC owner, I think I am qualified to post in this thread somewhat objectively. I have raced many LS1 and LS2 GTO's in my stock LS2. Some stock LS2's were stronger than mine, and some were weaker, and this was the case regardless of whether it A4 or M6. M6 LS1 GTO's tended to be stronger than the A4's were, on highway runs at least.

Based on my experience with both cars, I can see an intake/exhaust SS/SC holding even with an LS1 GTO from 20-70. My car always seemed the strongest in 3rd, and he was just getting into 3rd when they shut down. Conversely, the range of that race is where my SS/SC seems the strongest. Had that race continued, I think the GTO would have started to pull but I doubt it would have been the complete stomping he expected. I have seen posts of stock LS1 GTO's putting down anywhere between 290-320rwhp. Stock SS/SC's regularly put down 200-210 or more if I recall correctly. There can be in the neighborhood of 1000lbs. difference between the two cars. Holding even with one from 20-70 is not at all unreasonable.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

If you got bored you could make the drive to Youngstown sometime haha.
I'd prefer a stock one. I'm smart enough to know that once they are modified...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 AM

I'd prefer a stock one. I'm smart enough to know that once they are modified...
was hoping you wouldnt catch that haha

And I totally aggree Strychnine, cept I went the opposite path, I sent from SS/SC to GTO haha
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM

And I totally aggree Strychnine, cept I went the opposite path, I sent from SS/SC to GTO haha

Gas was starting to get too ridiculous for the GTO, the miles were climbing (over 50k), and I got tired of paying the GTO tax for damn near anything you want to replace. I thought about just buying a sled to drive around in, but when the SS/SC was also going to lower my payments by almost $200/month I had to jump on it. I loved my GTO, but I like having my window switches where they are supposed to be.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Damn GM Quality...

...and here I am looking at a Ford.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Strychnine
Gas was starting to get too ridiculous for the GTO, the miles were climbing (over 50k), and I got tired of paying the GTO tax for damn near anything you want to replace. I thought about just buying a sled to drive around in, but when the SS/SC was also going to lower my payments by almost $200/month I had to jump on it. I loved my GTO, but I like having my window switches where they are supposed to be.
haha I know what you mean. I am at almost 30k, and my gas mileage isnt the best with an ed curtis cam and everything that goes along with that haha but ohwel im onyl young once. I am planning on buying a beater for the next winter coming up though.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM

This is the first GTO/SSSC thread on here I've ever seen where the GTO guys haven't bashed the OP to ****...to all of you, I appreciate it, because I really was hesitant about even posting. Thanks for all the comments
Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nich7601
This is the first GTO/SSSC thread on here I've ever seen where the GTO guys haven't bashed the OP to ****...to all of you, I appreciate it, because I really was hesitant about even posting. Thanks for all the comments
Cuz no one lied and said that they killed a 6.0 goat with there stock balt. I can see how it pisses them off.

Atleast I had stg 2 when I killed the 6.0 by 4 cars.

Jk
Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM

I used to always get a kick out of the GTO threads. A car is a car. I do not get my ego wrapped up in my car. There is always someone with more money to throw at it, and thus always someone with a faster car. I liked my GTO. I like my SS/SC. I am not going to say I like my SS/SC more or less than my GTO, it is a different car and I do not really compare them.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Enter GTO Trolls.

Trolls..... Where.......

Seriously though I pulled 2 car lengths when my gto was stock on a stage 2. We went from 60-115.

If you beat him you beat the driver, not the car.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by OneSlowGto
Seriously though I pulled 2 car lengths when my gto was stock on a stage 2. We went from 60-115.

If he ran my LS2 GTO on a day like today after I have been driving around for an hour or two, he would probably be able to hang with it. I do not know if heat soak kills the LS1's like the LS2's, but the car turned into a dog in these southwest Georgia summers after driving for a while. A tune supposedly helped with that, but I never got around to it.

My experience with GTO's dictates that all LS1 and LS2 GTO's do not run the same. Some are weaker, some are stronger. That experience is from GTO to GTO comparison. I suspect that it is much the same with SS/SC's too.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Trolls..... Where.......

If you read the other 19 posts, everyone agrees, including me, had we gone past 70 he would have pulled on me. Rerun that stage 2 from 20-70 like we're discussing
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Strychnine
If he ran my LS2 GTO on a day like today after I have been driving around for an hour or two, he would probably be able to hang with it. I do not know if heat soak kills the LS1's like the LS2's, but the car turned into a dog in these southwest Georgia summers after driving for a while. A tune supposedly helped with that, but I never got around to it.

My experience with GTO's dictates that all LS1 and LS2 GTO's do not run the same. Some are weaker, some are stronger. That experience is from GTO to GTO comparison. I suspect that it is much the same with SS/SC's too.
Ya heat soak is a problem with the ls1's also. The car starts pulling to much timing when the iat's get high.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Ya heat soak is a problem with the ls1's also. The car starts pulling to much timing when the iat's get high.

Figured it would be. I know it turned my LS2 into a Grand Prix GT during the summer if I had been driving for a while. My GTO's 2nd engine was also noticeably stronger than the 1st.

Quick Reply: 20-70...SSSC vs. 5.7 GTO