War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

20-70...SSSC vs. 5.7 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strychnine
Figured it would be. I know it turned my LS2 into a Grand Prix GT during the summer if I had been driving for a while. My GTO's 2nd engine was also noticeably stronger than the 1st.
...2nd engine? what happened?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
...2nd engine? what happened?

Dropped a valve, or so I was told. #1 piston disintegrated and tore the crank up. Replaced under warranty at 30k.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM

awesome it sounds like a good race.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by OneSlowGto
Seriously though I pulled 2 car lengths when my gto was stock on a stage 2. We went from 60-115.

If you beat him you beat the driver, not the car.
This is what cracks me up.

How do you know that the Cobalt SS/SC that you raced didn't just have a bad driver? Same can be said for both cars... as I've seen some REALLY shitty SS Drivers. BUT, I do agree... that a PLAIN GM Stg2 with the GM tune... SHOULD not beat a 6.0L.

If he ran my LS2 GTO on a day like today after I have been driving around for an hour or two, he would probably be able to hang with it. I do not know if heat soak kills the LS1's like the LS2's, but the car turned into a dog in these southwest Georgia summers after driving for a while. A tune supposedly helped with that, but I never got around to it.

My experience with GTO's dictates that all LS1 and LS2 GTO's do not run the same. Some are weaker, some are stronger. That experience is from GTO to GTO comparison. I suspect that it is much the same with SS/SC's too.
Indeed. Just looks at the LS1 Camaro Dyno's. They ranged from 290whp to like 330whp in stock form. I wish I could find the thread on my local forum where we discussed this.

But I would agree that every SS/SC is different as well. Some just put out more than others. Mine is a *****... and puts out REAL good.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 05-08-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Granted, I might be dense, but I really do not see how there is a complex driver element involved with a roll race in a stock LS1 GTO.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jester
He isnt saying it didnt happen he is just saying that it was an auto a4 which it prolly was. I trapped @ 110 stock LS2 M6. The a4 04 traps a lil over 100 And the ss/sc traps at what 98 or something so it sounds plausible.
so just cause the a4 will trap a little over 100 and the SS/SC around 98 thats what makes it plausible? Its a ****** street race from 20 to 70 and the balt got a little jump and maybe the gto sucked at driving and so on and so on! anything can happen in a street race thats why it is plausible

good race holding off the goat man
Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Granted, I might be dense, but I really do not see how there is a complex driver element involved with a roll race in a stock LS1 GTO.
Me too... but at the same time, you'd be surprised at how people can suck at driving stick. But those are usually the people that aren't racing their cars.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SSCobalt~SSZ24
so just cause the a4 will trap a little over 100 and the SS/SC around 98 thats what makes it plausible? Its a ****** street race from 20 to 70 and the balt got a little jump and maybe the gto sucked at driving and so on and so on! anything can happen in a street race thats why it is plausible

good race holding off the goat man
Ya thats why it would be a close race, you take away the advantage of the launch from the gto, at their higher speeds it would begin to pull away... so yea I think that explains it... wanna see me race him from 20-70 lawl

Also it would be pretty hard to suck at driving an a4
Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP

Enter GTO Trolls.

Haha, good kill man. I wanna run a few as well. One of the few cars I don't see many of around here.
well, the GTO wasn't racing...... slowpoke.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Me too... but at the same time, you'd be surprised at how people can suck at driving stick. But those are usually the people that aren't racing their cars.

Very true, but it also would have obvious signs in a race. If he was that bad at shifting, the SS/SC would have gained some ground.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Too true... the Gto would surge forward... and then drop back. I've raced cars like that... I have videos.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM

Too true... the Gto would surge forward... and then drop back. I've raced cars like that... I have videos.

Exactly. Based on the description the OP gave, no one gained anything. So there are either two good drivers, or the GTO was an A4. I raced an intake/exhaust SS/SC in my LS2. I would say it was comparable to an LS1 GTO to 90mph, in my area at least. That same SS/SC still lost after he added Stage 2, but he put up a better fight, and he was definitely faster than any stock LS1 GTO I ever ran across.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. Based on the description the OP gave, no one gained anything. So there are either two good drivers, or the GTO was an A4. I raced an intake/exhaust SS/SC in my LS2. I would say it was comparable to an LS1 GTO to 90mph, in my area at least. That same SS/SC still lost after he added Stage 2, but he put up a better fight, and he was definitely faster than any stock LS1 GTO I ever ran across.
Thank you sir. Someone finally admitted it.
I have to take a
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by invisible
Thank you sir. Someone finally admitted it.
I have to take a

Everyone else's experience may vary. I never personally witnessed an SS/SC at all against an LS1 GTO, but I raced several LS1 GTO's (M6 and A4), and I have my experience against an intake/exhaust SS/SC and the same SS/SC after Stage 2. I do not know if he stuck with the GM tune or went custom, or if he was running a smaller pulley than Stage 2. I am more inclined to believe straight GM Stage 2. He was not a member here, and I doubt he did his homework. At intake/exhaust, I would call him even with a stock LS1 GTO, especially in a short race like the OP had. After Stage 2, I would say he was faster than a stock LS1 GTO.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Everyone else's experience may vary. I never personally witnessed an SS/SC at all against an LS1 GTO, but I raced several LS1 GTO's (M6 and A4), and I have my experience against an intake/exhaust SS/SC and the same SS/SC after Stage 2. I do not know if he stuck with the GM tune or went custom, or if he was running a smaller pulley than Stage 2. I am more inclined to believe straight GM Stage 2. He was not a member here, and I doubt he did his homework. At intake/exhaust, I would call him even with a stock LS1 GTO, especially in a short race like the OP had. After Stage 2, I would say he was faster than a stock LS1 GTO.
i wouldn't count on that. what's the fastest a stage 2 ONLY car has trapped/et'd? probably nowhere near what some m6 ls1's are running.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

i wouldn't count on that. what's the fastest a stage 2 ONLY car has trapped/et'd? probably nowhere near what some m6 ls1's are running.
Hatrickstu... a 13.3 @ 104mph... and that wasn't as fast as he's ever gone before (that was his first 1/4 run... his local track is a 1000')

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drag-racing-52/new-stage-2-record-102717/

He will go 12's this year, I guarantee it.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM

It was not a Stage 2 only car, it was Stage 2 with intake/exhaust. None of those "races" were conducted at a drag strip either. Would have been a very different result there. I would say the average LS1 GTO traps anywhere from 102 - 105. Lower and higher are not unheard of. I know that all of the stock GTO's I played with (LS1 and LS2) were not equal. Some could pull a half car or more on their counterparts, and some ran even. I never ran across a freakishly fast stock LS1, but I am sure they are out there. That particular SS/SC might be a freak too.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Man I hope I can hit 12's
Anyways the races seem to be close but as soon as 100mph comes around it sees like auto or manual the gto begins to pull or catch up or whatever, idk if its gearing or what, but I remember third gear in my ss/sc being quite a bit slower than the others.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Anyways the races seem to be close but as soon as 100mph comes around it sees like auto or manual the gto begins to pull or catch up or whatever, idk if its gearing or what, but I remember third gear in my ss/sc being quite a bit slower than the others.
Third gear is actually pretty good once you get staged and get a header, dp, and cat-back.
Fourth gear is where the s/c falls on its ass.
PS. My third gear is what beats gt mustangs.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Why does everyone seem to think that their 3rd gear is slow? Yes, it doesn't pull G's as hard as 2nd... but 3rd is where I usually start Choo-Choo Training away (depending on the car obviously).

And it's because once you start getting into the upper mph range, weight becomes less of a factor, and more HP becomes a BIGGER factor.

Originally Posted by invisible
Third gear is actually pretty good once you get staged and get a header, dp, and cat-back.
Fourth gear is where the s/c falls on its ass.
PS. My third gear is what beats gt mustangs.
Agreed... upper mph of 4th seem to suck ***** in my SS. It just seems like it takes forever to pull.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 05-08-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 PM

idk I had a catless full exhaust 2.8 pulley 60lb injectors k&n intake and a tune from Witt and abunch of other **** I prolly forget by now and it just seemed like thats where it started to fall, idk maybe it was just me. But the gto pulls steady all the way through those gears.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM

The top of 3rd is where my LS2 really shined. 3rd in my SS/SC does not seem as strong as 2nd does, but by that point you are moving fast enough that perception is not really the best measuring stick. 3rd in my LS2 did not "feel" that it punched as hard as 2nd, but it actually punched harder.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM

idk I had a catless full exhaust 2.8 pulley 60lb injectors k&n intake and a tune from Witt and abunch of other **** I prolly forget by now and it just seemed like thats where it started to fall, idk maybe it was just me. But the gto pulls steady all the way through those gears.

**** I hope it does. If gas and insurance wasn't high on them, i would of got a 6.0
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM

One thing it could be is i didnt have meth so I might have been getting heat soak.. I saw one of you had meth but idk about the other.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM

One thing it could be is i didnt have meth so I might have been getting heat soak.. I saw one of you had meth but idk about the other.
Yea I have meth and It makes a big difference. I can literally hold my hand on the sc and it is just alittle warm after alot of pulls in 90 degree weather.

Quick Reply: 20-70...SSSC vs. 5.7 GTO