War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.
View Poll Results: Who's going to win?
Genesis
6.83%
Cobalt
93.17%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

3.8 Genesis vs GMS1 SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Either way you slice it, if the DA is sub 1500 a stock Cobalt and a stock Auto Genesis 3.8 rolling in off the highway onto the track, the Genesis is going to win every time, E.T. Trap could go either way.

I dont know, we will find out when ill go to the track with him.
I will take videos of me walking him just before the line
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM

We're basing all this off of 2 cars, drivers unknown, and one night at the track? That's not enough to form any type of decision. The cobalt won, big deal. The 3.8 gensis is a great car, but in my experience not as fast as my TC was stock for stock around a track. Thats my experience and it's what I choose to believe. No matter what two similar performing cars line up, there will always be an excuse for one to win, and one to lose from people who are biased in each direction. Its the vein of slo sho's existence here.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Bane
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM

It's not "Extensively modified supercharged and extensively modified turbo engines" It's extensively modified supercharged and turbo engines. Meaning the turbo engine could be stock, seeing as though turbo's work much differently than superchargers
According to your statement, stock turbo engines and extensively modified supercharged engines work in an identical fashion and lose the exact same amount of power with a higher DA. Yet you said it yourself that they work much differently from each other. Logic fail sir.

It seems much more likely that "Extensively Modified" applies to both supercharged and turbocharged engines in that particular conversion. It is also likely that there is no "stock and mildly modified supercharged engines" conversion because most FI applications behave so differently from each other even when stock, regardless of being supercharged or turbocharged. NA always means naturally aspirated, but turbo could be a bi-turbo setup on a straight 6 or a single turbo on an I4. Supercharged could be a push rod V8 with a good sized blower or an I4 with a meh sized blower. Those are all going to lose different amounts of power at different DAs.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a vid somewhere in here yet? I don't feel like going through everypage
Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lifeguard15
According to your statement, stock turbo engines and extensively modified supercharged engines work in an identical fashion and lose the exact same amount of power with a higher DA. Yet you said it yourself that they work much differently from each other. Logic fail sir.

It seems much more likely that "Extensively Modified" applies to both supercharged and turbocharged engines in that particular conversion. It is also likely that there is no "stock and mildly modified supercharged engines" conversion because most FI applications behave so differently from each other even when stock, regardless of being supercharged or turbocharged. NA always means naturally aspirated, but turbo could be a bi-turbo setup on a straight 6 or a single turbo on an I4. Supercharged could be a push rod V8 with a good sized blower or an I4 with a meh sized blower. Those are all going to lose different amounts of power at different DAs.
My logic never fails. Besides I said the correction factors aren't perfect. Not only that but I didn't invent the correction factors either. And you're right different cars work differently, especially the Cobalt. It makes the same power once it's adjusted to the weather conditions. When my friend drives around mid-day in the summer pushing 20-21psi on his GMS1 and then parks the car for a few hours, the car RIPS at night for 2-3 pulls at 20-21 psi because the car hasn't adjusted yet. Soon enough the car figures out what boost level makes the hp it's tuned to make and all is back to normal. FYI to run his 13.6 @ 105 his boost was at 22+ because the weather was so bad.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

Genesis 10 7.46%
Cobalt 124 92.54%

lol the cobalt won i don't get what your arguing about anymore

first it was you saying the genesis would win vs the cobalt now your just arguing about stock vs stock which clearly the cobalt would win.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PerformanceClutches
Genesis 10 7.46%
Cobalt 124 92.54%

lol the cobalt won i don't get what your arguing about anymore

first it was you saying the genesis would win vs the cobalt now your just arguing about stock vs stock which clearly the cobalt would win.
Clearly? Clearly you're blind lol
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Banned

Clearly? Clearly you're blind lol
It's going down tonight! Lebanon Valley Dragway in West Lebanon NY. Who's gonna win????

BONE STOCK 3.8 Track, AUTO
vs
GMS1 Cobalt SS Turbo!

DA Looks like it's gonna be somewhere between 1900 and 2400 feet.
There will be video!
Stock for stock the Genesis should win in the 1/4 mile.
first off it's this then you switch to the genesis stock vs stock would win. so go find 2 cars and find some guy who hasn't driven ether car. let him go rip the cobalt and the genesis down the track about 20 times. whoever has the better times "it is what it is." lol

otherwise who gives a **** who is faster? like really. you don't own one. you don't own a cobalt. you own a gto. don't you have something better to do with your time?

i feel sorry for you. the only reason why i'm on here is b/c i own a cobalt. lol
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 AM

My grandfather is a parts manager at voss hyundai in centerville ohio, ive drove the 3.8 v6 wich sounds mean but not the what 2.0 turbo? or 1.8? i think 2.0 but what ever, the genesis is nice but the balt being supercharged and having that boost at all times the balt wins, although the v6 genesis is pretty sweet
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

first off it's this then you switch to the genesis stock vs stock would win. so go find 2 cars and find some guy who hasn't driven ether car. let him go rip the cobalt and the genesis down the track about 20 times. whoever has the better times "it is what it is." lol

otherwise who gives a **** who is faster? like really. you don't own one. you don't own a cobalt. you own a gto. don't you have something better to do with your time?

i feel sorry for you. the only reason why i'm on here is b/c i own a cobalt. lol
I feel bad for you. You're the kid who repeated, "I only spent $500 in mods on my car!!!!" about 650 times in the 1 hour I was in your presence. Not only that but you can't see where someone else had turned the race from GMS1 vs Genesis to stock vs stock.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

I feel bad for you. You're the kid who repeated, "I only spend $500 in mods on my car!!!!" about 650 times in the 1 hour I was in your presence.
$907 i think it was actually or maybe that wasn't when i was around you. it's all good i was proud of the car for how well it moved with such little money in it. less than a grand and over 300whp w/o being tuned.

i don't know why you would feel bad for me. you should feel happy for me that i'm happy and satisfied with my car.

dodge my question? why are you still on this forum just lurking around and trolling?!?!

I feel bad for you. You're the kid who repeated, "I only spent $500 in mods on my car!!!!" about 650 times in the 1 hour I was in your presence. Not only that but you can't see where someone else had turned the race from GMS1 vs Genesis to stock vs stock.
go read my above post on this page. you start off with gms1 vs a stock genesis then your off about stock vs stock which this thread isn't about at all.

again, why are you on a cobalt forum still. you don't own one right now i don't see why you would be trolling a cobalt forum.

Last edited by PerformanceClutches; 06-26-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

$907 i think it was actually or maybe that wasn't when i was around you. it's all good i was proud of the car for how well it moved with such little money in it. less than a grand and over 300whp w/o being tuned.

i don't know why you would feel bad for me. you should feel happy for me that i'm happy and satisfied with my car.

dodge my question? why are you still on this forum just lurking around and trolling?!?!

go read my above post on this page. you start off with gms1 vs a stock genesis then your off about stock vs stock which this thread isn't about at all.

again, why are you on a cobalt forum still. you don't own one right now i don't see why you would be trolling a cobalt forum.
Go read where someone else changed the topic, that kinda happens now and then on forums you know... And I'm on here because I can be.

I didn't feel bad for you because you were happy about your car. I felt bad because I couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance between you and rain man, minus the genius. And before any of your Cobalt buddies come running to your rescue I think we should let them know your previous screen name (before you were banned from your own forum) was "Cbodnar".
Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Go read where someone else changed the topic, that kinda happens now and then on forums you know... And I'm on here because I can be.

I didn't feel bad for you because you were happy about your car. I felt bad because I couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance between you and rain man, minus the genius.
nice come back man. real mature. i totally look like him. you got me. your still trolling a cobalt forum i feel bad for you not me. well have fun and keep on making threads omg gto eating up a cobalt. blah blah blah. at the end of the day your the one guy here by yourself trying to prove what point? even laloosh finally got rid of his car and moved onto another format and grew older and more mature than going on everyone else's forum picking on other cars. good luck to you man (sarcasm). your the one clearly with a problem if you need self confidences or making threads like you have on a website thats not even for gto's trying to rep gto's. i feel bad for you kid. :byebye:
Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Wow slow sho. You realize you're arguing with an 18 year old and he is showing more maturity than you? Not surprised here! Aren't you in your mid 30s sho? You're a pretty classy guy!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS4ME
Wow slow sho. You realize you're arguing with an 18 year old and he is showing more maturity than you? Not surprised here! Aren't you in your mid 30s sho? You're a pretty classy guy!
mid 30's? Where did you ever come up with that number lol. And "performance clutches" aka "cbodnar" was 18 when I met him like 3 years ago.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM

mid 30's? Where did you ever come up with that number lol. And "performance clutches" aka "cbodnar" was 18 when I met him like 3 years ago.
I thought I read it on another thread when littleMT called you out for your level of maturity. Hey, it might have been another one those GTO trollers though. Hold old are you anyways?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

I thought I read it on another thread when littleMT called you out for your level of maturity. Hey, it might have been another one those GTO trollers though. Hold old are you anyways?
Definitely wasn't me. I'm probably less than a year older than Cbodnar. And I haven't had a problem with LittleMT for about 3 years, so you're going WAY back.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Definitely wasn't me. I'm probably less than a year older than Cbodnar. And I haven't had a problem with LittleMT for about 3 years, so you're going WAY back.
I'm older so 3 years seems like 1.lol You'll see soon enough.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

I'm older so 3 years seems like 1.lol You'll see soon enough.
Well if you remember who cbodnar is you'll see that I'm fighting the good fight here...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM

Well if you remember who cbodnar is you'll see that I'm fighting the good fight here...
Carry on.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:10 AM

I will preface my comments by saying I was wrong. I wholeheartedly thought the Genesis was going to win ET. however it was not meant to be. The Cobalt was not affected by the DA where as the Genesis suffered bad. The Genesis ran a best of 13.92 @ 100.72. Here is the kicker, the DA was 3189ft on that run. Yes 3189ft. It was hot as hell and 75%+ humidity. Everyone will see this time and dismiss it as "Thats just what those cars run" but its an N/A car at 3200ft so lets be realistic. The Cobalt ran here stock at 500ft and bested a 14.05 @ 101. Tonight with gms1 he ran 13.658 @ 105.3. The two cars lined up once and the Cobalt won by .168. Videos and slips to come later. At a reasonable DA these cars would be near dead even in the 1/4. Don`t belive the hype, these Gen Coupes are a lot quicker than people are giving them credit for.
There'a couple comments in here wondering why the TC was running more boost at the elevation, the answer is simple. That's the advantage of a torque managed ECM, at least within reason. The TC should make the same TQ numbers regardless of elevation (as it is aiming for a target tq) as it simply allows for more boost to compensate for the less dense air when it sees it isn't reach the number it is aiming for. Hence at sea level we see ~21PSI and at higher elevations they see ~24 .

Being NA and likely not the same setup, the Genesis can only pull in the amount of air available to it so I suspect this is where the delta came into play.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

I'm afraid since he's been exposed that we're done here

Originally Posted by Permafried-
There'a couple comments in here wondering why the TC was running more boost at the elevation, the answer is simple. That's the advantage of a torque managed ECM, at least within reason. The TC should make the same TQ numbers regardless of elevation (as it is aiming for a target tq) as it simply allows for more boost to compensate for the less dense air when it sees it isn't reach the number it is aiming for. Hence at sea level we see ~21PSI and at higher elevations they see ~24 .

Being NA and likely not the same setup, the Genesis can only pull in the amount of air available to it so I suspect this is where the delta came into play.
x324723894732947
That's the point I've been trying to make.

This is why the GMS1 had such an advantage. And it still only won by a quarter second in the 1/4 mile. This is why I thought it was going to be close (it still was VERY close), and why I believed the Genesis could ET better, because of it's 60' ability. I never argued trap speed, the GMs1 should out trap the Genesis, even at Zero DA (although instead of 4mph it would likely be more around 1mph)

I didn't know the DA was going to be that bad. I figured around 1800, not 3200. There will be a rematch in the fall!

Last edited by SLoW SHO; 06-26-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
I will preface my comments by saying I was wrong. I wholeheartedly thought the Genesis was going to win ET. however it was not meant to be. The Cobalt was not affected by the DA where as the Genesis suffered bad. excuses, excuses, and more excuses. go back to your lil gto forum

View Post 06-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Remove user from ignore listSLoW SHO
This message is hidden because SLoW SHO is on your ignore list.

hahaha
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

For people who don't think it was close or whatever, this picture came at half track...

Quick Reply: 3.8 Genesis vs GMS1 SS/TC