War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

cobalt ss @ 155mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cobalt ss @ 155mph

well this morning going to work i happened to run into a mitsu lancer that started to try and race me. i'm not sure what model it was, i just remember seing the lancer written on the back of it when he took off on me. i heard a turbo, but it seemed really quite to me as well when he passed. anyways....

we were going about 75mph and he jumped a few cars on me, on the start, i caught up with him at about 110, passed him at around 120-125 and kept going. hit 145 in 4th, got up to 155mph while he was still only a few cars behind and we ran out of road. i took an exit and he kept going so not sure what mods he had other than the turbo and exhaust (fartcan). but one thing i know for sure is our cars will hit 155mph, that's with 1/2 tank of gas and a 230 pound driver. all was on level ground as well. that was running about 5500-5700rpm so there was a little more room to play, but not sure if it would go maybe 5mph faster.

p.s. this was all on a closed track ( i drive it everyday on the way to work )

Old 07-08-2005, 05:53 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
155mph? lol I'll need a video to beleive that. In cold weather MAYBE, but that's pretty hard to beleive.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
well this morning going to work i happened to run into a mitsu lancer that started to try and race me. i'm not sure what model it was, i just remember seing the lancer written on the back of it when he took off on me. i heard a turbo, but it seemed really quite to me as well when he passed. anyways....

we were going about 75mph and he jumped a few cars on me, on the start, i caught up with him at about 110, passed him at around 120-125 and kept going. hit 145 in 4th, got up to 155mph while he was still only a few cars behind and we ran out of road. i took an exit and he kept going so not sure what mods he had other than the turbo and exhaust (fartcan). but one thing i know for sure is our cars will hit 155mph, that's with 1/2 tank of gas and a 230 pound driver. all was on level ground as well. that was running about 5500-5700rpm so there was a little more room to play, but not sure if it would go maybe 5mph faster.

p.s. this was all on a closed track ( i drive it everyday on the way to work )

idk man.. ive hit rev limiter in 4th and it was at about 139.. i also topped out my car for about 1 min on an open highway and it chilled at 143 for the whole time.. @4000 rpm if i can remember correctly.. 155 seems like a bit much.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulSS
idk man.. ive hit rev limiter in 4th and it was at about 139.. i also topped out my car for about 1 min on an open highway and it chilled at 143 for the whole time.. @4000 rpm if i can remember correctly.. 155 seems like a bit much.

4th gears out @ 6500k and 143mph and 4000rpm? you sure about that lol? that's a 2500rpm drop and a 4mph gain.....can't happen realistically...unless i'm the crazy one lol

<edit> when i shifted it went down to about 5200-5300rpm in fifth and that was cause the drag was heavy at that speed. i think that was right at 145~mph or right below...then back up all the way to 155
Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MarcS
155mph? lol I'll need a video to beleive that. In cold weather MAYBE, but that's pretty hard to beleive.

for the cold weather... you mean for the intake air temps? if so, i'm already running water injection, the temps aren't a big deal for me.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

on what road can you just ride going that fast for that long, without traffic?

(in the u.s) lol
Old 07-08-2005, 06:42 PM
The Stig

for the cold weather... you mean for the intake air temps? if so, i'm already running water injection, the temps aren't a big deal for me.
Well in part, also in colder weather you will have less drag because the air is less dense so cutting through it would be much easier.

It's the reason why commercial jets fly at 30,000 feet so there is less drag which allows them to go faster and be more fuel efficient.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:44 PM

4th gears out @ 6500k and 143mph and 4000rpm? you sure about that lol? that's a 2500rpm drop and a 4mph gain.....can't happen realistically...unless i'm the crazy one lol

<edit> when i shifted it went down to about 5200-5300rpm in fifth and that was cause the drag was heavy at that speed. i think that was right at 145~mph or right below...then back up all the way to 155

you do know that the 5th gear in our cars is only an overdrive.. dont you??.. so yes.. 4mph.. not to mention that are cars are drag limited.. so unless you have some exclusive parts.. your not hittin 155... unless you had one hell of a tail wind.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

yea 5th is over dirve depending on how you shift you may get like 5 mph out of 5th
i topped out @ 146 mph in RL couldnt go no faster
Old 07-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaulSS
you do know that the 5th gear in our cars is only an overdrive.. dont you??.. so yes.. 4mph.. not to mention that are cars are drag limited.. so unless you have some exclusive parts.. your not hittin 155... unless you had one hell of a tail wind.
they're not drag limited to 143 lol....i took it up to about 135~ in fourth during the test drive a few weeks back lol and overdrive or not, it is physically impossible to go from 6500rpm at 139 in fourth, going up in speed by 4mph and losing 2500rpm in fifth. P H Y S I C A L L Y impossible. do you know how much when a 4-5 shift drops down in rpm to keep the same speed? lol

and no i don't have any exclusive parts, i just drove my car as fast as it would go. until i can get someone to ride with me, since you go this fast post a video of of you going 140mph without the clutch pressed down, running 4000rpm in fifth i will send you a $500 money order lol and when you don't do it, i'll just ask that you send me $20.

3995 rpm in fifth gear equates out to 112~mph give or take a few rpms/mph or 5674 rpm in fourth gear

<edit> think it would be more like 5400 rpm in fourth... mines m4th skillz R a suxorz
Old 07-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cvenom2122
yea 5th is over dirve depending on how you shift you may get like 5 mph out of 5th
i topped out @ 146 mph in RL couldnt go no faster

damn that's a fast movin rubbermaid container! lol just kiddin' man
Old 07-08-2005, 07:47 PM

It may be possible if you were going downhill with a strong backwind.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
The Stig

in cold air, going down a hill, with a 20kt tailwind.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Well in part, also in colder weather you will have less drag because the air is less dense so cutting through it would be much easier.

It's the reason why commercial jets fly at 30,000 feet so there is less drag which allows them to go faster and be more fuel efficient.
Cold air is denser, it's the altitude, not the temp that make the air less dense for jets at 30,000 ft. The colder temp is also a byproduct of the lowered density, same principal that makes air conditioning work.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by bredick
Cold air is denser, it's the altitude, not the temp that make the air less dense for jets at 30,000 ft. The colder temp is also a byproduct of the lowered density, same principal that makes air conditioning work.
You're right

I'm a little tired lol Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

in cold air, going down a hill, with a 20kt tailwind.

lol i give up. i won't bicker back and forth and start a contest of who has the biggest internet e-*****. appearently not many people have tried it, or you wouldn't be posting that nonsense. go out, do a run, video tape it and post back here, until then please don't comment on something you don't know about, or have most likely never tried... when you do video tape it, you'll see exactly what i was talking about.

</rant>
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 PM

You're right

I'm a little tired lol Thanks for the correction.
It's cool, just wanted to make sure people aren't confused, that one had me for a minute. Since cold air is denser though, you should make more power, so it would in theory outweight the small aerodynamic effects, but then again the SC already does compress the air. Who knows which would have more effect between the aerodynamics or denser cylinder charge...
Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by bredick
It's cool, just wanted to make sure people aren't confused, that one had me for a minute. Since cold air is denser though, you should make more power, so it would in theory outweight the small aerodynamic effects, but then again the SC already does compress the air. Who knows which would have more effect between the aerodynamics or denser cylinder charge...
Well true, the colder air would help make more power, but at 150mph the drag coeffcient would outweigh the small hp gain.

The SC does compress the air which warms it up, then it is aftercooled so I wonder how critical the intake air temp is?

lol i give up. i won't bicker back and forth and start a contest of who has the biggest internet e-*****. appearently not many people have tried it, or you wouldn't be posting that nonsense. go out, do a run, video tape it and post back here, until then please don't comment on something you don't know about, or have most likely never tried... when you do video tape it, you'll see exactly what i was talking about.
selfinfliction : It was just a joke, don't be so sensitive.

If I had the opportunity to run that fast I would. An airport near my house (SWF) is has the 2nd longest runway on the east coast. I can try to arrange to take a run there. However, since you are the one making the claim, it's your prerogative to provide the proof, not ours. Don't get defensive if people don't beleive you. Do you beleive everything you read?

The question: Is this car capable of 155mph?

Yes it is, but I beleive highly unlikely with the power it's putting out now. Add another 50-70 whp and I wouldn't question it.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

The question: Is this car capable of 155mph?

Yes it is, but I beleive highly unlikely with the power it's putting out now. Add another 50-70 whp and I wouldn't question it.

and with that you are saying that you cannot hit 150+mph with a car with rougly 240~hp at the crank? as long as the gearing will allow it?

so i guess that means that the chrysler crossfire that weighs more than our car (3010 pounds) and has a whopping 215 hp at the crank, cannot do 150mph? even though they advertise it, and have videos of it doing 145mph on their website? did it with ease as i might add too.

appearently none of you guys have ever lived in europe and had the pleasure of driving on the authobahn on a near-daily basis.

my old 94 m3 which had over 125,000 km on it and never rebuilt, they came out with around 200-210hp. owned it while i was in germany, and drove it many, many, many times upwards of 140mph when trevelling to berlin and amsterdam. sometimes i cruised at 130 with two passengers ALL the way to amsterdam from frankfurt. so i'm not sure where the calculation of the cobalt not having enough power to hit 155 lol

i'm not trying to prove the fact that i was going that fast today to you guys, because i know how fast i was going.. i'm only trying to show you that your crackerjack calculations are severely flawed lol
Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 PM
The Stig

and with that you are saying that you cannot hit 150+mph with a car with rougly 240~hp at the crank? as long as the gearing will allow it?

so i guess that means that the chrysler crossfire that weighs more than our car (3010 pounds) and has a whopping 215 hp at the crank, cannot do 150mph? even though they advertise it, and have videos of it doing 145mph on their website? did it with ease as i might add too.

appearently none of you guys have ever lived in europe and had the pleasure of driving on the authobahn on a near-daily basis.

my old 94 m3 which had over 125,000 km on it and never rebuilt, they came out with around 200-210hp. owned it while i was in germany, and drove it many, many, many times upwards of 140mph when trevelling to berlin and amsterdam. sometimes i cruised at 130 with two passengers ALL the way to amsterdam from frankfurt. so i'm not sure where the calculation of the cobalt not having enough power to hit 155 lol

i'm not trying to prove the fact that i was going that fast today to you guys, because i know how fast i was going.. i'm only trying to show you that your crackerjack calculations are severely flawed lol
The Cobalt, Crossfire, and a 94 m3 do not share the same gearing, or drag co-efficient. Both of which greatly effect top speed. I didn't make any calculations; I'm just using deductive logic.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm all for pushing the limits but I'm trying to stay on the more realistic side. Most people on here have reported topping out 143-145. Then you come in and say 155.. well that's pretty drastic so maybe you can see why I question it.

If you make a video then I'll believe it
Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

If you make a video then I'll believe it

seems like with so many more nay-sayers it would be easier for someone to make of a video of it NOT happening. i'm only one guy, but everyone else appearently says it's a nogo... so a video proving me otherwise should be easily obtained hehe
Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

seems like with so many more nay-sayers it would be easier for someone to make of a video of it NOT happening. i'm only one guy, but everyone else appearently says it's a nogo... so a video proving me otherwise should be easily obtained hehe
that will prolly be due to the fact that not alot of people are dumb enough to try to go that fast. since you are, then i don't see what's the problem of putting it on video and posting it in here.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DC52NV
that will prolly be due to the fact that not alot of people are dumb enough to try to go that fast. since you are, then i don't see what's the problem of putting it on video and posting it in here.

actually i just went out to do it again and got pulled over. hehe. i went down the strip to check for the man, hit about 120~ , came back around for the run and i came off the exit at 90 and hit fourth to do a full run and there was a cop driving down the road. didn't have his radar on ( that's why my detector didn't get him) but i guess he thought i was getting on the expressway a bit faster than normal. i only got a second of when the cop drove off.. you can see the tailights but that's it lol... thank god for veteran plates cause he asked me when i got back in country, then told me to drive home safely lol

i'll get some videos @ wot when i get a legit place to run.--no more public road runs--

p.s. digi cams suck at taking video

www.splashtunes.com/sspics/8july.mpg

www.splashtunes.com/sspics/cop.mpg

the videos are pretty big, i'll compress them tomorrow or something
Old 07-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

actually i just went out to do it again and got pulled over. hehe. i went down the strip to check for the man, hit about 120~ , came back around for the run and i came off the exit at 90 and hit fourth to do a full run and there was a cop driving down the road. didn't have his radar on ( that's why my detector didn't get him) but i guess he thought i was getting on the expressway a bit faster than normal. i only got a second of when the cop drove off.. you can see the tailights but that's it lol... thank god for veteran plates cause he asked me when i got back in country, then told me to drive home safely lol

i'll get some videos @ wot when i get a legit place to run.--no more public road runs--

p.s. digi cams suck at taking video

www.splashtunes.com/sspics/8july.mpg

www.splashtunes.com/sspics/cop.mpg

the videos are pretty big, i'll compress them tomorrow or something
damn, you got lucky. yeah man, just take it to the track and you will be worry free. these are some huge vids man. hope it's worth the d/l.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

saw you go over 120 and then you put the camera down. you are one crazy dude doing that stuff in traffic and filming it too.

Quick Reply: cobalt ss @ 155mph