War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

cobalt ss/sc vs. RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good kill and great times for your mods! props to a fast rsx! got any pics of it. post in the member's pics area if you do.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xenozx
thats a flywheel Dyno, how does one dyno HP and TQ at the flywheel?

It is interesting to see HP jump like that once Vtec kicks in. I am a noob when it comes to vetec but is it possible to be in that Vtec mode the entire time, if you do something or modifiy it somehow? Is there a way to get Vetec on say a car other then a honda engine built with it? Its basically Variable Valve timing right? Why cant another car use the same principles?
you have to understand that hp is most likely at the hubs...its a higher compression, protuned rsx...head gasket, type r throttle body, toda race header, toda exhaust, toda N2 cams...most likely on race gas...but about vtec...other companies have like VVTI (toyota) and **** like that...i-vtec is vtc and vtec...3rd lope that extends the duration that the valves are open...allowing more air a fuel...the k20a2, z1 & a1 have a good head on em too...they flow like crazy...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 PM

thats a flywheel Dyno, how does one dyno HP and TQ at the flywheel?

It is interesting to see HP jump like that once Vtec kicks in. I am a noob when it comes to vetec but is it possible to be in that Vtec mode the entire time, if you do something or modifiy it somehow? Is there a way to get Vetec on say a car other then a honda engine built with it? Its basically Variable Valve timing right? Why cant another car use the same principles?
also with hondata k-pro one can set your vtec engagement wherver youd like..we also have whats called a vtec window allowing us to have full throttle engagement at say 4000 rpm and then part throttle engagement at 6000...it really is a smart motor...it has all kinds of damn sensors haha..
Old 01-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by FastFrontier17
you have to understand that hp is most likely at the hubs...its a higher compression, protuned rsx...head gasket, type r throttle body, toda race header, toda exhaust, toda N2 cams...most likely on race gas...but about vtec...other companies have like VVTI (toyota) and **** like that...i-vtec is vtc and vtec...3rd lope that extends the duration that the valves are open...allowing more air a fuel...the k20a2, z1 & a1 have a good head on em too...they flow like crazy...
Hubs? I just saw what the dyno chart said it says "Fly Wheel Power - Hondata 2005"

Vetc sounds interesting, I will have to take my friends prelude for a spin, just to see what it feels like.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM

vtec is fun...but torque is better, i used to own a rsx and it just got too boring for me after the 1st month of ownership. the only way i would ever own another one would be if it was turbo'ed already. i miss the styling of it, but the ss does my fine in that area...heres a pic of her...

but i dunno how long your buddy has been driving the car but ive taken on a local rsx who is a buddy of mine and has ips cams, kpro, cai, rh, and exhaust and dyno's around 210ish and we stay right beside eachother the whole time. only time one of us loses any ground is when we shift and we gain it right back...its the damndest thing...lol...we did it three times and no real results. but that was when i was stock. and he doesnt have a good tune yet either...
Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Hubs? I just saw what the dyno chart said it says "Fly Wheel Power - Hondata 2005"

Vetc sounds interesting, I will have to take my friends prelude for a spin, just to see what it feels like.
Meaning you take your wheels off and the dyno hooks to your wheel bolts. And it is used to estimate/measure power at the flywheel.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm ... as fast frontier said earlier I-vtec also has VTC, variable timing control which advances and retards the timing in the different RPMS. SVT Focus has a VTC system. I am not sure what other cars do but I am sure there are other cars with it. I also believe Honda is still the only ones that VTC and VVT variable valve timing on the same engine.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:04 PM

oh shat your right...sorry about that...shawn church is one of the better tuners in CA, every dyno of his i see posted is usually the power at the hubs on his dyna pak...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dman
vtec is fun...but torque is better, i used to own a rsx and it just got too boring for me after the 1st month of ownership. the only way i would ever own another one would be if it was turbo'ed already. i miss the styling of it, but the ss does my fine in that area...heres a pic of her...

but i dunno how long your buddy has been driving the car but ive taken on a local rsx who is a buddy of mine and has ips cams, kpro, cai, rh, and exhaust and dyno's around 210ish and we stay right beside eachother the whole time. only time one of us loses any ground is when we shift and we gain it right back...its the damndest thing...lol...we did it three times and no real results. but that was when i was stock. and he doesnt have a good tune yet either...
a good protune should give him a good bit more power...if hes using the base map that is...ive seen bolt-on rsx's with k-pro with a pretty moderate tune actaully hit around 210
Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by wasey13
Meaning you take your wheels off and the dyno hooks to your wheel bolts. And it is used to estimate/measure power at the flywheel.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm ... as fast frontier said earlier I-vtec also has VTC, variable timing control which advances and retards the timing in the different RPMS. SVT Focus has a VTC system. I am not sure what other cars do but I am sure there are other cars with it. I also believe Honda is still the only ones that VTC and VVT variable valve timing on the same engine.
true
Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM

a good protune should give him a good bit more power...if hes using the base map that is...ive seen bolt-on rsx's with k-pro with a pretty moderate tune actaully hit around 210
yeah hes lookin at about 220ish with a good tune...hes new to kpro and cant figure out how to tune it for the cams...hes just gonna wait and take to someone who will do it right instead of screwing it up
Old 01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

yeah hes lookin at about 220ish with a good tune...hes new to kpro and cant figure out how to tune it for the cams...hes just gonna wait and take to someone who will do it right instead of screwing it up
Doesn't Hondata have a base flash for the cams already that you can tune from then? Tell him to just ask call Hondata and ask as many questions as he can and tell him to ask a lot on clubrsx.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 PM

yes, but its REAL conservative...and hes on crsx constantly...he had the guys trying to figure it out but it didnt net him much power...
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Doesn't Hondata have a base flash for the cams already that you can tune from then? Tell him to just ask call Hondata and ask as many questions as he can and tell him to ask a lot on clubrsx.
yes they have a base map but its really conservative...id say that its good for basic driveability until he can get it to the tuner
Old 01-05-2006, 07:50 PM

he should be seeing 230ish with the cams and a good tune...whats his crsx screen name?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

yes they have a base map but its really conservative...id say that its good for basic driveability until he can get it to the tuner
Nobody has one that is more aggressive? That he can start from? The cams have been out for a long time now.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 PM

Nobody has one that is more aggressive? That he can start from? The cams have been out for a long time now.
every car is different...and no one really wants to pass around a calibration...would you pay 300 bucks for a tune and then someone ask you for it?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

every car is different...and no one really wants to pass around a calibration...would you pay 300 bucks for a tune and then someone ask you for it?
I realize that every car is different. Not everyone paid 300 for their tune(some did it themselves) and honestly I probably would share mine either way. What do I have to gain or lose, by sharing or not sharing?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 PM

every car is different...its a good starting point...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:22 PM

I realize that every car is different. Not everyone paid 300 for their tune(some did it themselves) and honestly I probably would share mine either way. What do I have to gain or lose, by sharing or not sharing?
well imagine you getting a custom turbo kit...and then paying 600 bucks for a custom map...protuned....and then someone asks you for it...are you willing to give him your 600 dollar calibration for free?...its like someone asking for your header or exhaust that you bought...tuning is best done on a dyno...most people street tune the AF and ignition but dont often mess with cam angles...protunes are the best way for engine reliablity
Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has turned out to a very informative thread. i personally wouldn't use someone else's calibrations due to not every motor is the same. i will be upgrading to k-pro once i start getting more bolt-ons. just have cai right now so #4 reflash is fine for me. i'll most likely get k-pro once i get my dcrh, greddy evo2 & ips cams. and fastfrontier17, your car is definently a sleeper. i'll trade you my "show" mods for your "go" mods. lol
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DC52NV
this has turned out to a very informative thread. i personally wouldn't use someone else's calibrations due to not every motor is the same. i will be upgrading to k-pro once i start getting more bolt-ons. just have cai right now so #4 reflash is fine for me. i'll most likely get k-pro once i get my dcrh, greddy evo2 & ips cams. and fastfrontier17, your car is definently a sleeper. i'll trade you my "show" mods for your "go" mods. lol
I was just thinking there was a more aggressive starting calibration. That might help the guy see where and how he needs to tune.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM

Yay for me!!! i have MIVEC!!!! my car is one you forgot to mention. altho it's still a fairly new design. but my car has the timing control and lift technology also. you actually can't even advance the timing without using ecu. there is only one way, and that is to drill into the cam angle sensor bolts and adjust it there. but it's almost pointless cause the mivec engine is already so aggressively advanced that if you go any further it requires higher octane so you don't detonate. just thought i'd add that.

other than that, DC5, don't trade your looks. your car looks bad ass. just save up and get some go fast goodies.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ralliartist
Yay for me!!! i have MIVEC!!!! my car is one you forgot to mention. altho it's still a fairly new design. but my car has the timing control and lift technology also. you actually can't even advance the timing without using ecu. there is only one way, and that is to drill into the cam angle sensor bolts and adjust it there. but it's almost pointless cause the mivec engine is already so aggressively advanced that if you go any further it requires higher octane so you don't detonate. just thought i'd add that.

other than that, DC5, don't trade your looks. your car looks bad ass. just save up and get some go fast goodies.
I thought MIVEC did just wasn't for sure, but isn't it only on the exhaust side? Not the intake side too?

Anyone know about Mazda's new MS3 engine if it has VCT to go along with the VVT and direct injection?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM

I was just thinking there was a more aggressive starting calibration. That might help the guy see where and how he needs to tune.

this is what you get to start with

Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM

I thought MIVEC did just wasn't for sure, but isn't it only on the exhaust side? Not the intake side too?

Anyone know about Mazda's new MS3 engine if it has VCT to go along with the VVT and direct injection?
no, my engine is SOHC and has it on both sides. 4g69 2.4ltr MIVEC! the new EVO 9 only has it on the intake side. my head is way different from any other mitsu engine and the block is the same as a 4g63 but with a 4g64 crank and everything is lighter.

Quick Reply: cobalt ss/sc vs. RSX-S