War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt SS vs. WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
syP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what does a "stage 2" impreza WRX non STi run??
Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by syP
so what does a "stage 2" impreza WRX non STi run??
well lets see

Power Gains
+53 HP and +68 lb-ft (93 octane) typical

Boost
16.5psi (max)

Exhaust Noise Level
With Cat : Below 95 dB (meets EPA requirements)

w/o Cat: Above 95 dB (illegal for street use)

Installation Difficulty
Average difficulty, requires basic hand tools and jack stands or vehicle lift

Options
With Cat : Best for emissions, quieter

w/o Cat: Louder, marginally better power, more exhaust smell/fumes.

Reliability
Very good. Engine experiences less stress from heat and exhaust backpressure. Exhaust system constructed of more corrosion resistant material than stock.

Legality
Due to the change in emissions equipment (catalytic converters), system is not legal for street use in all states. Please check your local laws.

Parts Included
SS Turboback Exhaust

AccessPORT (pre-loaded with Stage 2 Calibrations)

I say mid 13's to hight 13's with good 60'
Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by xravenwingsx
Holy crap, someone else from Layton.

Cobb stage 2 is the shizz. Everyone and their brother out here has Stage 2 Cobb in their STi's since the Cobb guys are from here. I've learned just to ignore them because you see them tearing ass around town (usually some snotnosed high school kid with blonde spiked hair and a sideways hat LOL). It's their ticket, I figure. The one time I did street race though was against this insanely fast STi on the highway...guy had dumped a shitload of money into it, from what he told me. I mean, usually an SS/SC will take one from a roll because of the gearing difference, but I couldn't even catch up. I let off at 100mph (average traffic around here is 85-95mph), and couldn't even come close. It's like as soon as he hit the gas, he was gone. he was football field lengths ahead of me. I don't know if he had Cobb, but good god, he was the fastest ever STi that I've ever seen--on the track or off. Almost made me want to go trade my car in for one after that day.

Gotta tell ya though, I drove with him in it one day--and that thing's gutless below 4k RPM...and if you goose it going around a turn, the ass end slides out wayyyy too much for an AWD. Because of his driving habits, his Falkens were nearly bald though. So that could contribute to the sliding. I tell ya, I much prefer my SS/SC 5k rpms and below. What I love about it is the supercharger is all ***** (until it tapers off up top)

some guy here in town with an SRT-4 is claiming to run 11s with just bolt-ons/Mopar stage kits (4500ft above sea level, so that'd be saying a lot at lower altitude)--he's probably just bullshitting me. I don't know enough about those to decide either way. It's a nice car, though.
Cobb Stage 2 is big everywhere as far as I know. It's insanely easy to do and the Acces Port is vital for tuning down the road(tons of tuners are Cobb tuners.) I wouldn't say it's all that great though. The STi just doesn't come with a big enough turbo from the factory.

That's a trade off for bigger turbo's, better top end worse low end. The bigger the turbo, the shittier the bottom end. The turbo I selected shouldn't leave me hurting too badly in the lower RPMs with a much better top end. There are stock turbo STi's in the 11's, for me there's no substitute for a bigger turbo.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 AM

^^^ you should go for a ride sometime in my friend's car-- 1991 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo. He just got back from Lakenheath. The turbos are small so there's little to no lag. I love that thing. All-wheel drive, all-wheel steering, active aero system....Always wanted one. A little on the heavy side, but in a straight line, it's all *****. He's doing a 15G or 16G swap soon when he can decide on which. Should be even more insane when the boost builds.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 AM

Ok, friend has a 03 WRX his best track time was 15.4 stock - and hes an excellent driver, I beat him every time in my stock SS/SC. However, sub's do require respect. But on another note, I like seeing a TB/SS blow their doors in lol.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SSKobald
Ok, friend has a 03 WRX his best track time was 15.4 stock - and hes an excellent driver, I beat him every time in my stock SS/SC. However, sub's do require respect. But on another note, I like seeing a TB/SS blow their doors in lol.
Your friend is not as good as you think, unless you're like 6000ft up.

Originally Posted by xravenwingsx
^^^ you should go for a ride sometime in my friend's car-- 1991 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo. He just got back from Lakenheath. The turbos are small so there's little to no lag. I love that thing. All-wheel drive, all-wheel steering, active aero system....Always wanted one. A little on the heavy side, but in a straight line, it's all *****. He's doing a 15G or 16G swap soon when he can decide on which. Should be even more insane when the boost builds.
Ahh, a TT rig. Nice!!!

Last edited by StinkBOMB; 10-16-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oo and i was wondering this COBB stage 2 can that be put onto a legacy gt? it is the 2.5T motor same as the STi so wouldnt it work, and after looking at some videos of ss s/c's vs wrx's i think imma do some damage, and i just found out hes got a wrx with full exhaust so he said hell let me take a test run against him roll and dig, to see wat it does, before i go to the other kid and put down money
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
oo and i was wondering this COBB stage 2 can that be put onto a legacy gt? it is the 2.5T motor same as the STi so wouldnt it work, and after looking at some videos of ss s/c's vs wrx's i think imma do some damage, and i just found out hes got a wrx with full exhaust so he said hell let me take a test run against him roll and dig, to see wat it does, before i go to the other kid and put down money
Yes... you can put stage 2 on a legacy GT... the newest version of the accessport works by engine size... two different versions... a 2.0 turbo version and a 2.5 turbo version... I have an 06 wrx with the 2.5T and it would work on any 2.5 turbo... legacy, sti, forester... etc...

I went to the track a while back over the summer and ended up racing an older 5.0 mustang and a newer ss/sc balt and beat both of them without launching... I don't like to launch my car... it was also my first time at the track... but I would easily start to pull on them in second gear and into third... i put about a car on both of them from second on... although I am sure I would have ran out of air up top... But if I would have launched it would have been a much better kill for me... I would imagine the balt was stock though... I used to have an 03 wrx and ss/sc balts would beat me everytime... this wrx is much faster though... I want to swap turbos but am just too afraid of my tranny saying bye bye!!

Much respect for both of those cars I raced though... although I am absolutely in love with the sound of a turbo... I really like the whine of a supercharger though!! Especially on a cobra mustang!!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah man, its funny u say that, i have the cobalt ss s/c obviously and my cousin has a Legacy GT 2.5T with SPT intake and full perrin exhaust, well at first i loved the whine and he loved the turbo spool, well after some time, i liked the turbo spool and bov and he liked the whine haha, its funny