War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt vs Bolt on ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics are here - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2180560

Originally Posted by cakeeater
wait...so your friend bought it...then you asked him after the race what it was? Im confused...
No that was a different one I raced on the highway, not my friends.

Last edited by John2k5; 10-30-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
Like the cobalts have any respect at all? And what are you talking about ls1/lt1's have no respect? What are you smoking? I think they are a very well respected group. Same thing goes for all ls series engines...maybe the lt series aren't as respected as the ls1's, but my god, I haven't seen more than a handful of people that do not own cobalts give the cobalt any respect.

This is the exact reason why I never posted my kill of a c5 m6 vette coupe (97-99 year..had the ugly wheels). I know no one will belive me, but I had a full car lenght on him from 70-140 mph...So you guys can flame me all you want but people are now starting to build quick cobalts
Clear your PM box......I have important NEWS!! lol

The goat broke into the 12's on Sunday......that is all. lol
Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned

For John2k5,

Have you actually ever driven a Cobalt? They are the worst platform in regards to drag racing, not only does the car hop and spin like a little bitch but it was never intended to be an actual drag racing car. Many people know this right now, it's an autocross car more then anything.

Good low end grunt going around the cones and that about sums it up. 1st gear is useless as **** on a bull. It takes finess and lots of practice to actually launch this car. We are talking FWD which launching the power in a setup that was never actually intended to begin with makes it difficult. Unless you have many suspension mods you can't ever really shake the wheel hop.

I also want to state that we don't make useable power until AFTER 2nd gear (1st gear doesn't really do much except wind out super fast). Our gearing puts us at a very difficult situation when we can shoot out real quick but our top end sucks. I dont' care how much power you throw at it the gearing makes it a horrible top end car and time again unless we run some favorable F/I that puts out gobs of power will never reach a maxmium beyond 300whp on this great eaton blower.

You have to remember that he has more then half the mods to make it to 300 whp setup but I agree that his setup doesn't net over 280. If he has a full exhaust his top end would improve and I've seen his actual car physically in action. I can vouch for it is a very quick little coupe but in regards to top end yeah anyones car is nothing special when you have gearing that makes it feel like some deployed a parachute behind us, that's literally the feeling you get after 3rd gear. It sucks.

I've actually had the luxury of racing a few LT1's and LS1's and although most of the ones I raced were stock or modded slightly (stock essentially, yah I know who keeps an F-Body stock?) but I've held my own. Anything can happen on the streets but many of the people who drive are no slouches either. I've had races where I've raced maybe once a lightly modded LS1 and we would be dead even in heat between 40-90 and then his top end starts to reel in and kick me in the ass. The gearing and blower efficeny gets thrown right out the door. I believe what LSJ is saying that he can hold his own with most cars until the top end kicks in and then he gets slowly walked which is a very reasonable assumption.

Everyone toutes the LNF when it has a maxxed factory turbo and the same gearing in the LSJ. It's going to suck just as much top end unless you have a nice snail keep pushing you down the road but likely the KN04 is a marvel of engineering failure. Good spool times, horrible power up top.

I've watched SRT-4's wax LS1's with a Stage 3R kit and a lightly modded LS1 but I've also watched LS1's eating exotic cars as well.

It boils down to:

*Modifcations
*Driver skill
*Gearing
*Power to Weight Ratio

LSJ is a stout motor but nothing that will ever see over 300whp on stock blower without nitrous of some sort of F/I induction (aftermarket setup).

Is it a pipe dream to think an LSJ can beat an LSx? Damn straight. But until each car community has every driver in every scenario being able to drive your going to get races like this.

No one likes admitting defeat and I will say the LSx community overall is highly respected but you get some of the fanbois who come over to other forums immediatly shooting down the fact that this can never happen. well... it does, it happens every day because of lackluster mario andretti drivers. I've seen some really weird **** happen. The car doesn't lose races, the drivers do.

I know that LS2 GTO drivers were stuck in mid 13's for the longest time cause they could not drive worth a ****, with practice anything can happen. Now they can hit 12's with ease with compitent drivers.

I've not seen an SS/SC Cobalt hit 12's without lsjwannabes setup, full 3' exhaust, crazy tuning, drag radials and one hell of a driver. We will be at best a low 13 second car with max modifcations on our present setup. I can think of only two drivers with the claim to fame of hitting 12's in this car. One is no longer owns a Cobalt and the other comes out only when needed.

I have a 2.7 in pulley, 60lb injectors, K&N Cold air intake, Magnaflow Cat back exhaust, and a mild tune (Power Modifications), best I could muster on street tires is a high 13 cause I admit I suck at driving this car still from a dig. It's next to impossible to get a perfect launch on a FWD Chassis that gets instant torque when you punch it. It usually goes Launch, hop, hop, let off gas, tires catch, push pedal and then a way we go.

I think it's capable of mid 13's but I won't ever get there cause I hardly have time to stratch my ass. best 60 ft times is a 2.3 and a 104mph trap speed at like 13.87 1/4 time.

This car is capable of high 12's MAX in it's setup with the aftermarket available with stock blower. That's where it will stay without some other forms of induction. The best the gentleman who got 12's mustered a 12.86@109 MPH or something similar to it.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the mix.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Nope haven't driven one, but have ridden in my friends lots of times which is a stock stage 1. I am not saying that a Cobalt SS can't ever beat a LS1. I am saying this is his 5th post about it with one race on video of him losing to one thats modded in which he admitted the modded ls1 was messed up some how. Like you say up top is were we kick your cars ass the most. From a 40mph roll giving my friend the hit I was back for a whole second or so and by 80 out about at least 8 cars, yes he is stock, but the point is thats only going 40mph from start to finish. I never said Cobalt SS's were race cars or anything, never said all of them were slow pieces of **** either. Like I said I would never personally own a Cobalt in any forum, but thats me. I personally think Cobalts didn't deserve the SS sticker and believe it should only be for v8 sports cars within chevy.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

You mean stock stage nothing John. I have no modifications.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
You mean stock stage nothing John. I have no modifications.
Damn I thought u were at least a stage one. You cheap bastard get some mods.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

I will if Ljavy17 ever gets that Dampener to me.
Then come Feb I'll get the Stage 2 with a 2.9 pulley.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John2k5
Nope haven't driven one, but have ridden in my friends lots of times which is a stock stage 1. I am not saying that a Cobalt SS can't ever beat a LS1. I am saying this is his 5th post about it with one race on video of him losing to one thats modded in which he admitted the modded ls1 was messed up some how. Like you say up top is were we kick your cars ass the most. From a 40mph roll giving my friend the hit I was back for a whole second or so and by 80 out about at least 8 cars, yes he is stock, but the point is thats only going 40mph from start to finish. I never said Cobalt SS's were race cars or anything, never said all of them were slow pieces of **** either. Like I said I would never personally own a Cobalt in any forum, but thats me. I personally think Cobalts didn't deserve the SS sticker and believe it should only be for v8 sports cars within chevy.
LOL I agree... but, notice GM has tarnished the SS credibility over the last 3-4 years by coming out with v6 Malibus, and weak sauce 5.3L V8 FWD Impalas and Monte Carlos... I'm sure you can make them fast but by no means are they impressive. 4 speed auto slushboxes... yikes... and don't get me started on the "SS" Silverado. Just a rebadged Silverado V8 1/2 ton with an SS badge and modified suspension. I will admit that the Cobalt may not have deserved the SS badge but for bang for the buck it has better overall aftermarket over any of the cars just listed and can beat all of them with ease on the track.

Not to say that none of those can be made fast it's just who wants to **** with a Malibu to mod? I'd rather have a buffalo take a diareha crap in my ear then modify that car. What was GM thinking putting a V8 in a FWD car? The Impala and Monte Carlo deserve better then that.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Amen Brother,

RWD FTW!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky
LOL I agree... but, notice GM has tarnished the SS credibility over the last 3-4 years by coming out with v6 Malibus, and weak sauce 5.3L V8 FWD Impalas and Monte Carlos... I'm sure you can make them fast but by no means are they impressive. 4 speed auto slushboxes... yikes... and don't get me started on the "SS" Silverado. Just a rebadged Silverado V8 1/2 ton with an SS badge and modified suspension. I will admit that the Cobalt may not have deserved the SS badge but for bang for the buck it has better overall aftermarket over any of the cars just listed and can beat all of them with ease on the track.

Not to say that none of those can be made fast it's just who wants to **** with a Malibu to mod? I'd rather have a buffalo take a diareha crap in my ear then modify that car. What was GM thinking putting a V8 in a FWD car? The Impala and Monte Carlo deserve better then that.
I disagree on the impala and monte carlo. I think that the impala ss will take a cobalt ss stage 2. My friends dad had the ss impala and when he stomped it with traction control on it'd burn the tires a whole 30 feet or so. Still though real cars lift the front wheels not power them.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

I disagree on the impala and monte carlo. I think that the impala ss will take a cobalt ss stage 2. My friends dad had the ss impala and when he stomped it with traction control on it'd burn the tires a whole 30 feet or so. Still though real cars lift the front wheels not power them.
Yah they shoot up ahead in a race it's called torque but I've out ran them top end before the race officially ended. They might be a bit more bad ass if they came in a 5 speed stick. Then you got a decent car.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky
Yah they shoot up ahead in a race it's called torque but I've out ran them top end before the race officially ended. They might be a bit more bad ass if they came in a 5 speed stick. Then you got a decent car.
ROFL @ the its called torque. Its just a little LS4 in the Impala.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM

A stock 5.3 liter impala SS would not beat a stage 2 cobalt if all thing were equal (driver, traction etc) most 5.3 liter SS's I have seen run high 14's or 15's. And I hate to be an ******* but you talk about the cobalts not deserving the SS name and then in your sig you say you have 20's on your Trans Am I think the pour trans am is not deserving of those I wanna be a caddy on dubs either. Just my 02 cents

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

ROFL @ the its called torque. Its just a little LS4 in the Impala.
An LS4 rated at 303HP (at the crank of course) 323lbs of torque (again at the crank).

I haven't actually seen dyno numbers but I know they were rated pretty low...

230whp on this stock dyno run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzvOG8qzx0 Dyno jet...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05SS/02WS6
A stock 5.3 liter impala SS would not beat a stage 2 cobalt if all thing were equal (driver, traction etc) most 5.3 liter SS's I have seen run high 14's or 15's. And I hate to be an ******* but you talk about the cobalts not deserving the SS name and then in your sig you say you have 20's on your Trans Am I think the pour trans am is not deserving of those I wanna be a caddy on dubs either. Just my 02 cents
Spell poor right next time if your going to talk down someone's car at least be able to use correct grammar and sentence structure. You saying I wanna be a caddy on dubs either doesn't even make sense. I like my "dubs" and personally don't give a **** what people think about my car or my opinions. I am just going to say what I think and not hold anything back. You can either love me or hate me, but either way its no skin off my back.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

either love me or hate me,
It's still a no question

either love me or hate me,
It's still an obsession

If you love me than thank youuuu

But if you hate me than @u#k you!

Lol!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Your the one that started the putting down on the cars with the SS comment and like I said F-body's weren't made to have "dubs" and low profile tires on them it looks gay everyone I have seen that has it looks like **** with the damn side wall on the tires being a half inch thick and just wait till you put that cam and charger on the car and everytime you touch the gas the tires go up in smoke and you have to spend $1000 on tires every summer you will see my point. Your POOR Trans Am you happy now?

Spell poor right next time if your going to talk down someone's car at least be able to use correct grammar and sentence structure. You saying I wanna be a caddy on dubs either doesn't even make sense. I like my "dubs" and personally don't give a **** what people think about my car or my opinions. I am just going to say what I think and not hold anything back. You can either love me or hate me, but either way its no skin off my back.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05SS/02WS6
Your the one that started the putting down on the cars with the SS comment and like I said F-body's weren't made to have "dubs" and low profile tires on them it looks gay everyone I have seen that has it looks like **** with the damn side wall on the tires being a half inch thick and just wait till you put that cam and charger on the car and everytime you touch the gas the tires go up in smoke and you have to spend $1000 on tires every summer you will see my point. Your POOR Trans Am you happy now?
Please start quoting the correct way if your going to quote. You may think they look gay, everyone that has seen them in person has liked them. I am not worried about when I get done modifying it. I will not be racing on the dubs that would be pointless since I would never get traction and just roast them from start to finish. I have a floor jack, an air compressor with an impact wrench along with spare rims and mickey thompsons for when I want to race. It isn't that hard to swap out rims and tires.

Last edited by John2k5; 10-30-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

I hate cars that have anything bigger than 18's on them. But John's 20 rims actually look nice.
There the only type I would put on a car. Besides the rims there is no other change to his car other that I think he lowered it to fix the low profile to sidewall gap. Looks nice. And he still has the original rims and drag radials for races.
As for burning threw tires remember where in Florida.
We don't put are good cars up for the winter. Fast cars change tires here every year to two years not two to four like you guys. I have over a year on my car and 13k miles on stock tires and I had to swap the back to the front and hope it can carry me till next year so I can afford some KDW 2's.

So yea were aware of smoking tires and changing every year.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 PM

Hah, I've got an f-body. I agree with werewolf with saying that 18's are probably the biggest that I would ever go. ALTHOUGH, I'm not bashing, I haven't seen John2k5's so I can't say they look like ****.

I forgot what I was going to say =/
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99camaroman
Hah, I've got an f-body. I agree with werewolf with saying that 18's are probably the biggest that I would ever go. ALTHOUGH, I'm not bashing, I haven't seen John2k5's so I can't say they look like ****.

I forgot what I was going to say =/

There is a picture of the rims on the car. No matter what thread I say something in someone has to talk ****, because I am a F-Body on "dubs". I am use to it and just laugh at all the people that hate the rims even though they finally got me some traction over the 16's that were stock. BTW I never lowered the car at all.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

If you wouldn't call them dubs I don't think people would even care.

When I see wheels that big on a car like a Trans Am, GTO, Camaro, Mustang I just figure the driver has no idea what he's doing.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

Watch out Cody SS is up in here! Things about to get crazy!
Duck you heads theres a GTO spanking a Ford GT and other crazy zany things!
Sorry Codyss had to do it. You have a certain reputation/novelty that follows you here that I enjoy watching.

The 20's aren't that big when seen in person. I wouldn't go larger but I could ride in that. (And have on many occasions.)
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM

That actually looks pretty slick codyss. I'd have to say those are one of the very few pair of dubs that I would ever consider installing on my car. Like I said I'm not partial to 20's, i'm adding 18's.

John, your bird is the v8 right?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by codyss
If you wouldn't call them dubs I don't think people would even care.

When I see wheels that big on a car like a Trans Am, GTO, Camaro, Mustang I just figure the driver has no idea what he's doing.
Lol I had an idea what I was doing. I just got them so cheap I really couldn't say no. I never expected to put 20's on my car let alone black 20's. Yes I have the LS1. Its the Trans Am .

Quick Reply: Cobalt vs Bolt on ls1