War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt Vs Evo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wasey13
High 13s??? How do you figure? M3s with RWD 333hp run 13.1s and weigh 3400lbs. EVOs without AWD will weigh what?? 3000-3100lbs? They have 286hp... with the right tires they could break 12s. But we are only speaking hypethetical so we could both be wrong.
at first I thought nah but than When you think about it wasey13 is kinda right. So makes you think why didn't they ever make it RWD? Granted I must say Driving a AWD car feels so much more planted than FWD or RWD. At least IMO from the cars I've driven.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darksun280
at first I thought nah but than When you think about it wasey13 is kinda right. So makes you think why didn't they ever make it RWD? Granted I must say Driving a AWD car feels so much more planted than FWD or RWD. At least IMO from the cars I've driven.
AWD owns RALLY. Thats the only reason. If I remember right sport compact car took a brand new STi and made it RWD and put better tires under it and it ran faster in the quarter. They were making a drift car though and sanded the pretty blue paint and primered it flat black.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 PM

I dont always know my competitions mods, I cruise down the road and find some people, but he had an ecu reflash, I knew this guy and we set it up
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
WE HAVE FINALY BEATIN THE MIGHTY EVO!!!!!!!!!!!
NICE FLIPIN KILL!

cant waite for the summer and to use the N20
we already beat evos from a roll, but man, it looked like you were just toying with that evo!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 PM

re

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
we already beat evos from a roll, but man, it looked like you were just toying with that evo!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:36 AM

If the EVO didn't have AWD and was RWD it would be faster in the qtr. Not slower. If it was FWD, it would be tons faster then you guys from a roll. Not slower.
The hierarchy of fastest from a stop:
1) AWD
2) RWD
3) FWD

from a roll

1) FWD
2) RWD
3) AWD

so yeaaahhhhh an EVO will always win from a dig against a cobalt unless the EVO driver is a deuche.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
The hierarchy of fastest from a stop:
1) AWD
2) RWD
3) FWD

from a roll

1) FWD
2) RWD
3) AWD

so yeaaahhhhh an EVO will always win from a dig against a cobalt unless the EVO driver is a deuche.
Ummmm... no. AWD is faster from a stop STOCK sometimes. 1.6-1.8s out of STIs and EVOs. But when modding RWD is the fastest from a stop. 1.4s-1.6s out of Vettes and F-bodies isn't that hard and they can cut 1.7s-1.8s STOCK. Not many people have the guts or power to put slicks on their AWD cars. That is why the fastest DSM is FWD not AWD from a dig.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM

Ummmm... no. AWD is faster from a stop STOCK sometimes. 1.6-1.8s out of STIs and EVOs. But when modding RWD is the fastest from a stop. 1.4s-1.6s out of Vettes and F-bodies isn't that hard and they can cut 1.7s-1.8s STOCK. Not many people have the guts or power to put slicks on their AWD cars. That is why the fastest DSM is FWD not AWD from a dig.
Why won't AWD owners put slicks on there cars? Is it to much stress on the drivetrain since the wheels won't be able to break lose a little.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Yeah It seems that way but I just like to call it staying grounded. Since I own a cobalt how much could I really hate the car if im spending 300 dollars a month to own one? I just comment when I read unthought out comments like "yeah now we can beat evo's." Well one stock for stock we could beat or nose them out from a second gear roll so watching one do it is fun and all but the comment like it wasn't able to be done before just got to me. Second maybe I missed it but I still havent seen a list of mods for the Evo and it's bothering me because I wanna kinda get an idea at where his car is traping at but we don't know how fast the Evo is. If you think I'm hating on the kill not at all, a kills a kill but im just wondering about specs and traps and other things. Like I know he beat that evo but to me it took him a little bit of time and he didn't state what speed or gear the race started from. So i don't know if he cought him by 40 or 120, know what i mean? Next I love close races like the one in the video an all but if the kill took him till 120 on to finish the guy off its more of a evo sitting on his overdrive gear while the cobalt is still sitting on his 4th gear which is still close to a 1:1. So it wouldn't be that the cobalt over powerd him it would be that the evo ran outta good gear. Now thats all my thinking but I don't know because I don't know any key points of the story behind the race. And I might always come off as negitive most of the time but thats mostly because of the cobalt owners around my way who talk trash about how they run 13's yet there stock and throw out random horsepower numbers when they've never been to a dyno before. So you can say maybe im the one who always likes to squeeze the lemon when everyone else is having fun but i'll never complain or bring up negitive facts for no good reason. Its not like you see me going on to every pro cobalt race thread and ruining the party?

The thing is, what you said could have gone unsaid. Do you really think anyone on this site needs you to tell them that we'd be beaten by an Evo in the 1/4?

We all know that Evo's run low 13's at the track, we also all know that the SS has a hard time breaking into the low 14's. So why do you feel the need to try and downplay his kill by saying what you said? Was he in a 1/4 mile race? No, he was in a roll race with a low 13 second car and beat it, and to me that's pretty exciting.

Good kill man.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
The thing is, what you said could have gone unsaid. Do you really think anyone on this site needs you to tell them that we'd be beaten by an Evo in the 1/4?

We all know that Evo's run low 13's at the track, we also all know that the SS has a hard time breaking into the low 14's. So why do you feel the need to try and downplay his kill by saying what you said? Was he in a 1/4 mile race? No, he was in a roll race with a low 13 second car and beat it, and to me that's pretty exciting.

Good kill man.
Maybe it coulda gone unsaid and woulda but I wasn't responding to him I was responding to the guy who said "YAY now the mighty evo can be beaten." If you wanna scold me for being negitive against the guys kill thats one thing. But I wasn't going after bdwarr6 thats my point. My comment was twards the other guy. I've said it before a kills a kill So him beating that evo, well than more power to him. But again I posted my negitive line in response to that others guys far out there response. Gotta keep the balance. If he can make posts like that I can make posts with my feelings too.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Not talking about this thread but what do you think this site would turn into if there was no other side to half the comments that come out on these forums? If you wanna call me negitive fine than take all the "negitive" people off this site and let it sit for 3 months by the time you come back you know how many "I just beat a modded z06" and "I dynoed 250 WHP Now i can run low 12's" post there would be?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Anyway its people like me that make for great discussions and arguments. Thats part of what these forums are here for though right?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Nice kill. Now we just have to get our mods up so we can kill modded Evo! Come on companies
release more mods for us!!!!!!!! But its nice to know that with a couple little changes we can beat
some stock Evo's.

But my brothers Evo is at like 370whp and 380tq and smokes me from a dig, a roll and a 20 min head start =) But i'm not modded other than a CAI.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

Why won't AWD owners put slicks on there cars? Is it to much stress on the drivetrain since the wheels won't be able to break lose a little.
Thats why I said most owners don't have the guts to do it. My tires don't even chirp in the rain. With slicks and more power stuff is surely to break.

Keep up the good fight.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
J K

This thread is so funny,

Beating an evo at 120, while the evo is in its overdrive gear , is not really an acomplishment. It took plenty of time to catch up to it, and it was more like reality set in at 130 and not like you blew the doors of the evo, besides it took you to go to stage 2 to barely beat an evo from a roll, so what happens when the evo gets a muffler, or goes to the track.

AWD is good for dig races, but RWD will do it better, thats why most low 11 second STI's or Evo's go to RWD, because the power lose of AWD it to much to get into anything under 10, but almost all 11second and under cars are RWD.

FWD owns from a ROLL? If FWD was ment for racing then real sports cars would come like that. I'd pick a RWD car that traps the same as a FWD car anyday in a roll.

You shouldn't get in a mod war with a car that is some much faster then you stock because it will always be faster when they mod. The cobalt would be better if they put out better after market sopport for getting out of the hole at the track. You have to be perfect to get a 2.3 60 foot, but if you could get a 2.0 I bet it could run a high 13 with a stock engine.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM
J K

Darksun knows what he's talking about, he actually gets out there and races, he doesn't e-race or magazine race.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J K
This thread is so funny,

Beating an evo at 120, while the evo is in its overdrive gear , is not really an acomplishment. It took plenty of time to catch up to it, and it was more like reality set in at 130 and not like you blew the doors of the evo, besides it took you to go to stage 2 to barely beat an evo from a roll, so what happens when the evo gets a muffler, or goes to the track.

AWD is good for dig races, but RWD will do it better, thats why most low 11 second STI's or Evo's go to RWD, because the power lose of AWD it to much to get into anything under 10, but almost all 11second and under cars are RWD.

FWD owns from a ROLL? If FWD was ment for racing then real sports cars would come like that. I'd pick a RWD car that traps the same as a FWD car anyday in a roll.

You shouldn't get in a mod war with a car that is some much faster then you stock because it will always be faster when they mod. The cobalt would be better if they put out better after market sopport for getting out of the hole at the track. You have to be perfect to get a 2.3 60 foot, but if you could get a 2.0 I bet it could run a high 13 with a stock engine.
Most 11 second STIs and EVOs are not RWD? There are tons of 10sec ones and quite a bit of 9sec ones that use AWD. Hardly any are converted to RWD.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
J K

Not as many evo do it because they handle mods better then STI's and WRX's but I know of alot of STi's and WRX that covert to RWD that are track use only because it is so easy. It can be a driveway type of change.

The fasted STi that was in the US was at E town this year and it only ran a high 9, and the faster evo ran a low 10, so theres not really alot of 9 and 10 second AWD cars.

This was at the EvO/STi shootout last August
Old 12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moved to war stories
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM

Most 11 second STIs and EVOs are not RWD? There are tons of 10sec ones and quite a bit of 9sec ones that use AWD. Hardly any are converted to RWD.
agree with the rwd statement....however AMS Just hit there smashing 9 second record as worlds fastest evo 8....so i wouldnt even say quite a few, more like barely a handfull
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRTurbo
agree with the rwd statement....however AMS Just hit there smashing 9 second record as worlds fastest evo 8....so i wouldnt even say quite a few, more like barely a handfull
You guys are right, my bad. I was thinking more in the lines of some of the other AWD cars DSMs, skylines, etc.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
J K

I think the problem is that people think AWD is god, where its just good, but it has its draw backs like RWD and FWD have theres.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by J K
I think the problem is that people think AWD is god, where its just good, but it has its draw backs like RWD and FWD have theres.
well said AWD cant be that great 99.99% of all pro drag is RWD
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM

Not to take away from the kill. A kill is a kill. =)

For everything else that is in this thread:
I gotta agree with wasey13 a bit. Beating a stock EVO is cool, but just with a few mods EVO's smoke us. We all have to just admit that Evo's are nasty! RWD, FWD, AWD whatever! Our little Cobalt's are going to take a lot of work to even touch modded EVOs. Like I said my bros EVO is well over 400+ at the crank and like 370 at the wheels and like 380TQ its going to take a LOT of mods for us to get up there. All he had to do was get a full exhaust, no cat, alcohol kit, intake, reflash and I think that's about it really. (maybe some other stuff). My step dad has had Vipers, Porches, Ferraris, Astin Martins, and after driving my bros EVO he may be getting one and dropping some serious cash into it. They have so much potential and have been around a bit longer than the Cobalt's so the aftermarket parts are insane for them. If you really want to beat an EVO, just get one and mod it more than the next EVO. Its getting a little tired of everyone saying "Can I beat an EVO" or "EVO this" or "EVO that".

Oh yeah, unless your using your car just for track then the AWD, FWD, RWD debate is great, but for the real world on the streets with all the elements (snow, sleet, gravel, dirt) the EVO owns us. My bro adds Blizzak WS-50s to his ride and can still stick to a snow-covered twisty road like glue at 100 miles an hour. Something I wouldn't even think about in FWD or RWD.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by J K
very true i agree with you as far as mod for mod goes but... you also have to look at it this way.

cobalt ss s/c $20K(ish) + money for mods < evo $30k(ish) + money for mods

the evo will be faster mod for mod but you also have to consider the fact that an evo is about $10k more new and i highly doubt he put 10k into his car to be one.

edit: evos are nice cars too but theres more than evos that cobalt owners should be worried about

Quick Reply: Cobalt Vs Evo