War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt Vs Evo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xskier874
very true i agree with you as far as mod for mod goes but... you also have to look at it this way.

cobalt ss s/c $20K(ish) + money for mods < evo $30k(ish) + money for mods

the evo will be faster mod for mod but you also have to consider the fact that an evo is about $10k more new and i highly doubt he put 10k into his car to be one.

edit: evos are nice cars too but theres more than evos that cobalt owners should be worried about
Couldnt have said that better myself. We just need someone to drop 10k on their Cobalt and see what it can do =)

I do think that Cobalts will be NASTY once we start getting more mods out there. For a 20k ride its a nice start and for what about $700+ he beat a stock EVO so thats also cool. I just want to see what a couple grands worth of mods will do for us. Just wish we had more options at the moment.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from a roll he beat him, but from a stop he would be owned. just thought i'd make sure that was known.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by snowcrash
Couldnt have said that better myself. We just need someone to drop 10k on their Cobalt and see what it can do =)

I do think that Cobalts will be NASTY once we start getting more mods out there. For a 20k ride its a nice start and for what about $700+ he beat a stock EVO so thats also cool. I just want to see what a couple grands worth of mods will do for us. Just wish we had more options at the moment.
To clarify; from a roll he beats a stock EVO. In the Quarter he loses. Around a track he loses. In quality he loses. In bad weather driving he loses. In street credibility he loses.

If the Evo was running a Turbo Back and a tune he would have lost from a roll.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by pkskull77
To clarify; from a roll he beats a stock EVO. In the Quarter he loses. Around a track he loses. In quality he loses. In bad weather driving he loses. In street credibility he loses.

I'm sure everyone here has already established that. The original post says nothing about him being able to beat an evo in every situation, it's purely a video that shows he beat an evo with some mods, why bring all this what if this, what if that stuff into it?? We already know what will happen if the evo had an exhaust or intake on it, but the fact is that it didn't. Nice kill dude.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
from a roll he beat him, but from a stop he would be owned. just thought i'd make sure that was known.
WhenI made that statment I was almost hung from a tree with barbed wire. I'd becarefull if I was you.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by hennessey833
I'm sure everyone here has already established that. The original post says nothing about him being able to beat an evo in every situation, it's purely a video that shows he beat an evo with some mods, why bring all this what if this, what if that stuff into it?? We already know what will happen if the evo had an exhaust or intake on it, but the fact is that it didn't. Nice kill dude.
Kill aside if they Evo didn't have a lot of mods and he barely beat the damn thing till 120+ with that Intense kit, things aren't looking too good for us. So either I hope he dyno's less than the first intense kit 270 whp car or that evo had a good deal of mods thats why it took so long for him to finally get ahead of the thing. Now don't get me wrong I am not hating on the actuall race I'm far past that. I'm looking at this Intense kit and what its actually putting out. Usaually I wouldn't pry so deep but after hanging on the srt forums site they kept pointing out that those originall dynos werent SAE corrected And that the dyno might not really be that high. Second Hate to put him on stage for questioning but why is he barely getting 15-16 psi with a 2.8 pully and a tune. with my mods and a 3.0 pulley I get 16+ in 3rd gear and 17+ in 4th. Granted I've noticed I can't hit that boost with a stock air box, I'm stuck to 15 with the stock air box in effect and I'm not sure if he still has his in but I would like to know.

And no one start on me saying that I'm bashing this kid or intense racing cause thats crap. But Since he's the First real member to have the kit He will be the one to come under the most scrutiny.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM

The dyno is off IMO. I've had a 2.8" pulley/piggyback for over six months now, suddenly these guys post a 270whp dyno sheet, and this kit is king!?!

I dynoed 245whp with pulley/piggyback/3"catback, back in the hot humid summer when my gauge was hitting 16-17psi, and this was before my CAI. Now in the very cold winter, I find my gauge can hit 19psi consistently.

I think if I were to dyno again it would def. be better than my first of 245, but still not 270. I think we just have some high numbers here, and everyone is jumping on board. Nothing really new here.

There is still much to be done to our cars. Header, downpipe, bigger TB, and ported M62 to start... then twincharge if thats not enough, so don't give up on us yet!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by turboeco
The dyno is off IMO. I've had a 2.8" pulley/piggyback for over six months now, suddenly these guys post a 270whp dyno sheet, and this kit is king!?!

I dynoed 245whp with pulley/piggyback/3"catback, back in the hot humid summer when my gauge was hitting 16-17psi, and this was before my CAI. Now in the very cold winter, I find my gauge can hit 19psi consistently.

I think if I were to dyno again it would def. be better than my first of 245, but still not 270. I think we just have some high numbers here, and everyone is jumping on board. Nothing really new here.

There is still much to be done to our cars. Header, downpipe, bigger TB, and ported M62 to start... then twincharge if thats not enough, so don't give up on us yet!
I completly agree with your post.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 PM

but as i said befor ok he cant beat him from a dig or around a track he still has a good $8k in his pocket that the guy in the evo doesnt. thats another $8k for coilovers($1000-1500), twincharge ($5,000), tourqe brace, engine mounts, tranny mounts, clutch/flywheel, i could keep going. when the market grows its very possible to have a very nice cobalt for the same price people are paying for a STOCK evo
Old 12-29-2005, 11:59 PM
J K

I think you'd be better just doing a big @ss turbo then twin chargering, theres always problems with that... Besides the biggest trouble a cobalt has is getting started, if it can keep up with an evo from a roll, get it to keep up with on from a dig, not try to catch it.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:19 AM

k but theres civics out there doing 9 sec 1/4 and are fwd. and you could do a turbo if you wanted and still spend less than you would for an evo... imo when more comes out it will be very easy to beat a stock evo and still have money in your pocket that the guy in the evo wont
Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

k but theres civics out there doing 9 sec 1/4 and are fwd. and you could do a turbo if you wanted and still spend less than you would for an evo... imo when more comes out it will be very easy to beat a stock evo and still have money in your pocket that the guy in the evo wont
How much are you paying a month for your SS and how much is your loan for? If you don't mind me asking. Since you automatically assume everyone pays 10k more for there STIs and EVOs.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but as i said befor ok he cant beat him from a dig or around a track he still has a good $8k in his pocket that the guy in the evo doesnt. thats another $8k for coilovers($1000-1500), twincharge ($5,000), tourqe brace, engine mounts, tranny mounts, clutch/flywheel, i could keep going. when the market grows its very possible to have a very nice cobalt for the same price people are paying for a STOCK evo
that is asinine to say. that's like me saying, "well my rsx-s cost me $23,000 and an nsx costs $91,000. if i were to dump $68,000 in my car i would pwn it." see how rediculous that sounds? you chose your car and an evo owner chose his. he is in a different league than you are and no matter what you do to your cobalt you will never match what an evo can do. you can buy a $500 geo metro and do a swap w/ turbo and it will smoke your cobalt. does that make the geo metro better than your car? nope, not at all just like your cobalt is not better than an evo.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by wasey13
How much are you paying a month for your SS and how much is your loan for? If you don't mind me asking. Since you automatically assume everyone pays 10k more for there STIs and EVOs.
i dont own a ss but im saying on avg a new ss is about 20k and a new evo is about 30k
Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
that is asinine to say. that's like me saying, "well my rsx-s cost me $23,000 and an nsx costs $91,000. if i were to dump $68,000 in my car i would pwn it." see how rediculous that sounds? you chose your car and an evo owner chose his. he is in a different league than you are and no matter what you do to your cobalt you will never match what an evo can do. you can guy a $500 geo metro and do a swap w/ turbo and it will smoke your cobalt. does that make the geo metro better than your car? nope, not at all just like your cobalt is not better than an evo.
yeah but its also asinine to say a evo will be a cobalt mod for mod... anyone with a brain knows that cause the evo will beat a cobalt stock vs stock.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

yeah but its also asinine to say a evo will be a cobalt mod for mod... anyone with a brain knows that cause the evo will beat a cobalt stock vs stock.
i never said that, but at least you admit that it sounds asinine.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:33 AM

not what you said but what others said... its kinda hard to explain what i mean though. yes the cobalt will lose stock vs stock and mod vs mod. but the evo has things included stock that the cobalt doesnt but you also pay for thoose things. yeah it has more power, better suspension, etc. but youre paying extra for thoose things just as you would for the mods on the cobalt. if you can see what im trying to say awsome. if you cant well all i can say is think about it some more
Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

not what you said but what others said... its kinda hard to explain what i mean though. yes the cobalt will lose stock vs stock and mod vs mod. but the evo has things included stock that the cobalt doesnt but you also pay for thoose things. yeah it has more power, better suspension, etc. but youre paying extra for thoose things just as you would for the mods on the cobalt. if you can see what im trying to say awsome. if you cant well all i can say is think about it some more
We see what you are saying, don't you see how lame it is though? I could buy a brand new Kia Rio for under 7k and put 13k in it and put a hurtin on your Cobalt, but I will still be driving a Kia. You get what we are saying now? If not think about it some more.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

We see what you are saying, don't you see how lame it is though? I could buy a brand new Kia Rio for under 7k and put 13k in it and put a hurtin on your Cobalt, but I will still be driving a Kia. You get what we are saying now? If not think about it some more.
exactly what i'm trying to say.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:05 AM

yeah i understand that i guess im just trying to get the other side out to some of theese people...

evo vs cobalt the evo will win stock vs stock mod vs mod, viper vs evo viper will win stock vs stock mod vs mod. in both cases the better car stock will win untill you get to a point and they will eventually be pretty much dead even. were talking after many many mods.

on the other hand as you said a kia could beat a cobalt and still have money left just as the cobalt could beat an evo and still have some extra money. hell you could have a kia beat an enzo and still have some extra money. actually alot of extra money but its still a kia. and just to let you know the way you said that you make the cobalt seem like a complete pos campared to the evo.

you have to see both sides of it and i guess thats all i was really trying to get out.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by pkskull77

The point is, the Evo lost the race. There's no point in comparing mods, if that was the case the Evo owner should have enquired on what was done to the SS before engaging it.

With an attitude like that you might as well say "Hey I own an STI and I'm better than all of you SS owners." Some people just enjoy what they can afford and the satisfaction of personalizing it to their own tastes...who cares what other people think?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tofu
The point is, the Evo lost the race. There's no point in comparing mods, if that was the case the Evo owner should have enquired on what was done to the SS before engaging it.

With an attitude like that you might as well say "Hey I own an STI and I'm better than all of you SS owners." Some people just enjoy what they can afford and the satisfaction of personalizing it to their own tastes...who cares what other people think?
You said it, not me.

yeah i understand that i guess im just trying to get the other side out to some of theese people...

evo vs cobalt the evo will win stock vs stock mod vs mod, viper vs evo viper will win stock vs stock mod vs mod. in both cases the better car stock will win untill you get to a point and they will eventually be pretty much dead even. were talking after many many mods.

on the other hand as you said a kia could beat a cobalt and still have money left just as the cobalt could beat an evo and still have some extra money. hell you could have a kia beat an enzo and still have some extra money. actually alot of extra money but its still a kia. and just to let you know the way you said that you make the cobalt seem like a complete pos campared to the evo.

you have to see both sides of it and i guess thats all i was really trying to get out.
You might be able to make an STI/EVO better then the new Z06 in some things with less money but not everything. Just like you might be able to make a Cobalt SS better then an STI/EVO in some things for less money, but not everything. Point being no matter what you do to your Cobalt SS it will still be considered a lesser car to the majority of people, when compared to an STI or EVO. This is the point we are trying to make. Say you put that 10k difference between your Cobalt SS and an EVO into your Cobalt, you might be able to go faster in a straight line, but what else? To each their own, the whole what if we put *price difference* between this car and that car arguement to me and most people does not make much sense. For 3k I can make my Z car run 10s all day another 3k-5k probably have it keep up with my STI on a road course, but it will still be 28 years old and not have a warranty like my STI.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Maybe it coulda gone unsaid and woulda but I wasn't responding to him I was responding to the guy who said "YAY now the mighty evo can be beaten." If you wanna scold me for being negitive against the guys kill thats one thing. But I wasn't going after bdwarr6 thats my point. My comment was twards the other guy. I've said it before a kills a kill So him beating that evo, well than more power to him. But again I posted my negitive line in response to that others guys far out there response. Gotta keep the balance. If he can make posts like that I can make posts with my feelings too.

yea i did say "the mighty evo can be beaten" do you see a key word in that????

hmmm how about "CAN" sound like the rite word?

yea from a roll with the intence kit it was just showin that the evo can and was beatin and beatin by a bit so more power to him but i never in a million years think that our car will take any AWD let alone most RWD cars from a dig thats why i said "can" some time soon it might happen but we all know the cobalt doesnt hook up in 1st and thouse the race goes to the AWD car.

just defending my self
Old 12-30-2005, 04:23 AM

hey correct me if im wrong but... in the video i could swear that when the Evo pulls ahead for a sec, i hear the Cobalt let off and then get back on it, at which time the Cobalt reels the Evo back in... does anyone else hear it? if this is the case then the Cobalt was just playing with this Evo. not too bad! maybe im just hearing it wrong though...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 AM

You said it, not me.

You might be able to make an STI/EVO better then the new Z06 in some things with less money but not everything. Just like you might be able to make a Cobalt SS better then an STI/EVO in some things for less money, but not everything. Point being no matter what you do to your Cobalt SS it will still be considered a lesser car to the majority of people, when compared to an STI or EVO. This is the point we are trying to make. Say you put that 10k difference between your Cobalt SS and an EVO into your Cobalt, you might be able to go faster in a straight line, but what else? To each their own, the whole what if we put *price difference* between this car and that car arguement to me and most people does not make much sense. For 3k I can make my Z car run 10s all day another 3k-5k probably have it keep up with my STI on a road course, but it will still be 28 years old and not have a warranty like my STI.

LOl, I didn't even know you drove an STi Wasey.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Vs Evo