War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Cobalt vs ION

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all i have read is that the redline is lighter, im not sure where the info comes from that the cobalt is lighter. does anyone have a link that shows this?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:06 PM

I dont think the cobalt is lighter, I think they are only off by a few pounds. a few pounds wont make or break a car. 200+ maybe, but 60 lbs, come on? I can take my spare out and weigh the same.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
Darksun... i dont remember ever talking to you before... but as for my ONE race, i have raced and '06 redline as well, and won. also been to the track with 2 others and watched both of them have trouble breaking 9.7 in the 1/8. im not ******* on the redline, i like them a lot, im just sayin what i have seen from my experience, and my experience shows me that the redline is a hair slower. never claimed to be totally correct. "it might be different in other states though" please dont try to belittle me with your comments, im not trying to act like a jerk here...
In General though not against only you but I hate it when a car gets judged off of one or two experiences. We had this argument over the 350z's in another thread. When I first went to the track I ran more mid 15's stock than high 14's. Now if some one saw me only run mid 15's and than left the track is it fair for them to say that all cobalts run a mid 15? Thats what I'm trying to get at Your first post made it seem like you think all redlines are slower than cobalts when It should have been more like "From the ones I've raced and seen at the track" The redlines have been slower. But I don't the redlines getting written off as slower when there the same exact car and lighter with smaller rims which should give them the advantage at a track. I know this is a cobalt site but I'll be damned if I'm ganna swing from the cobalts nuts against a car thats almost identical mostly except for looks. And I'm not just picking on you but I seem to bump into you in threads like these all the time on accident.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
actually, when i race a RL on the highway from about 70mph, just one gear, i win everytime. i have discussed this with the RL owner a couple times now. just pushing the gas down when already in the gear has nothing to do with the skill of the driver, so clearly there is something about the SS that is different. doesnt it have a better transmission or something?

AHEMMMM......
Old 12-31-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The difference from the 04 redline and the 06 redline/cobalt SS is the god damn ECU GM gave yall a better one then me good for atleast 10 ponies them ****'s lol

check the part numbers they are totally different.

for real if i was stock and my bro was also hed beat me bye 2 cars every time now im faster down low , and a lil threw mid range then he makes it back up

My can has gained alot of power from its mods But jeremy had alot more to start out with when his intake adjusts and and he gets a header hell probably beat me by a car everytime
But that is when i need to start thinking about upgradign past the warrenty like P& P head with new valves and springs w/ new pistons (rev limiter bumped to 8k) or a 25 shot N20 kit something to compensate for my loss

we will have a few vids up once his car adjusts a lil more
Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 AM

Weight from GM Canada

2945 RL and 2925lbs for the S/C SS

optinaed differently---either one could weigh more.

I wouldn't trust that US site Chevrolet.com they have an outrageously WRONG weight for the
Cobalt sedan 3,216lbs!!!

On another note the base RL is a steal! They have in where we bought out Vue.
Its $22,900! CDN dollars. Thats only $800 more then my 2.4L SS and cheaper buy over $2K on the S/C SS. But I can't stand the dash---but it looked good without the hideous RICER wing
Old 12-31-2005, 10:56 AM

I take it to the streets and find out who is lighter! who cares they are both slow cars!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 AM

i got my info from sport compact car magazine, the cobalt is about 75 or so pounds lighter but because the wheels weigh so damn much the redline edged us out or something...that's just what i read
Old 12-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GSoccer24
i got my info from sport compact car magazine, the cobalt is about 75 or so pounds lighter but because the wheels weigh so damn much the redline edged us out or something...that's just what i read
It would make sense to me if thats how it played out.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

less filling..........tastes great..........less filling tastes great..............Car and Driver's test of the two cars, the RL had the quicker numbers and faster top speed than the SS/SC. Also I think Road and Track did a test of both cars and the SS/SC was a bit quicker. From that one can conclude that MAYBE, just MAYBE they're the same cars you think? I bet you could line up two RLs and one would probably come out to be just a tad quicker. You could line up two SS/SCs and one would be quicker. The build variation from one LSJ to another (like most engines) will net different HP/TQ numbers. It would be nice if a car company could build engines to perfect performance specifications but don't look for it to happen anytime soon.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 PM

The RL did not have the quicker numbers. Show the link to prove it.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

A) The wheel weight issue is 100% bullshit, people who had Z28 Camaro's tried this when
they were saying why they didn't like/buy an SS.

B) The Cobalt SS is lighter and the sunroof doesn't weigh 60lbs

C) Why can no one here figure this out? The driver is the deciding factor in any vehicles
performance. Hell the same drives couldn't pull the exact same time out of the exact
same car 2 out of 3 times so any .05-.10 difference is pretty much a wash.

This little debate is no different than Z28/Formula vs SS/WS6/Firehawk. Blah, Blah your 17" wheels weigh more. I don't have power options or t-tops or power locks. In reality they are all within 50-75lbs of each other and driving is the deciding factor.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:14 PM

It doesnt really matter the redline is a gm product i would much rather lose to a redline than anything else
Old 01-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
A) The wheel weight issue is 100% bullshit, people who had Z28 Camaro's tried this when
they were saying why they didn't like/buy an SS.

B) The Cobalt SS is lighter and the sunroof doesn't weigh 60lbs

C) Why can no one here figure this out? The driver is the deciding factor in any vehicles
performance. Hell the same drives couldn't pull the exact same time out of the exact
same car 2 out of 3 times so any .05-.10 difference is pretty much a wash.

This little debate is no different than Z28/Formula vs SS/WS6/Firehawk. Blah, Blah your 17" wheels weigh more. I don't have power options or t-tops or power locks. In reality they are all within 50-75lbs of each other and driving is the deciding factor.
I agree but some people like to find the smallest thing to bitch about to say why there car is better than another. Next its going to be Red cobalts are faster than the black cobalts.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:15 PM

red cobalts are WAY faster then black cobalts!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 PM

You know I love all you guys..

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....8-3203E58A55FF

Old 01-02-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gramps
red cobalts are WAY faster then black cobalts!
Black redlines dominates all!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by LSJ_Kid04
Black redlines dominates all!!!
Nah the red cobalts are faster than all the other colors cause the red paint weighs less.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Man my R/C car ownz all Bah Bah!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
The RL did not have the quicker numbers. Show the link to prove it.

Here I'll make it easier for you......

Car and Driver does not post their complete stats online but here is the article

Cheap Speed

Oh by the way my point is NOT THAT THE RED LINE IS FASTER nor that the COBALT IS FASTER, my point is that THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME FREAKING CARS and that you can find performance stats to back EITHER argument that one car is FASTER THAN THE OTHER. The ONE thing I WILL say is that the LSJ cars ARE FASTER than the Piece Of **** RSX Type-S that won the stupid comparo.........
Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by TXRLU
Here I'll make it easier for you......

Car and Driver does not post their complete stats online but here is the article

Cheap Speed

Oh by the way my point is NOT THAT THE RED LINE IS FASTER nor that the COBALT IS FASTER, my point is that THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME FREAKING CARS and that you can find performance stats to back EITHER argument that one car is FASTER THAN THE OTHER. The ONE thing I WILL say is that the LSJ cars ARE FASTER than the Piece Of **** RSX Type-S that won the stupid comparo.........
OK I was bout to jump all over that and every other car mag. I personally dont think they do any testing and if they do they are not consistent with their drivers and/or their drivers dont know what the F they are doing. also we all know most cobalts have higher dyno #'s then what they have listed. hell if you look closely they say the cobalt weighs less then the ION

our 0-100 is faster then the ions and the ions 0-120 is faster then ours. this is such a load of horse ****. It even says same gear ratios so how does that work?

I agree same cars for the most part. No 2 ions are going to be the same and no 2 cobalts are either. Plus you have to factor in drivers and such. I say we drop this now since obviously we are all acting like a bunch of noobs, rather then just geting along.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xenozx
OK I was bout to jump all over that and every other car mag.

What's jacked up also if you notice, stupid Magazine says the Cobalt/Redline take 15.3 and 15.6 seconds respectively to get to 100 MPH but their 1/4 mile times indicate 14.6 at 98 and 99 MPH, so it took them almost 1 full second to get that extra 1-2 MPH?!?! This comparison test (along with Car and Driver's obvious long-running anti-Domestic stance) is the very reason that I cancelled my subscription to Car and Driver.

But back to the original thread, the cars are pretty much the same, yeah there is going to be a little variation here and there but as you stated, you're just as likely to find that same build variation from Cobalt to Cobalt and Redline to Redline. I say we forget the Cobalt against Ion discussion and move onto a Cobalt/Ion Vs Import mode
Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Banned

If you guys think about it the cars do have different gearing. Wheel and tire size effects gearing.

TXRLU, why is the RSX type-S a POS???
Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wasey13
TXRLU, why is the RSX type-S a POS???

Notice the Acura is almost a good 2 seconds behind the first place SRT-4

In this CHEAP SPEED comparison it was ranked #1 by the "fine" (sarcasm smiley would go here) automotive journalists at Car and Driver but as you can see it came dead last in virtually ALL performance categories hence my designation of it as a POS.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TXRLU

Notice the Acura is almost a good 2 seconds behind the first place SRT-4

In this CHEAP SPEED comparison it was ranked #1 by the "fine" (sarcasm smiley would go here) automotive journalists at Car and Driver but as you can see it came dead last in virtually ALL performance categories hence my designation of it as a POS.
So a title of something defines everything about it? If I remember right part of the comparison was build and drive quality. I am also sure resale value played a part in it too. So once again why is the type-S a POS? What I am trying to get at is how you can possibly have the audacity to call a superiorly built car a POS? (wtf smilie would go here)

Quick Reply: Cobalt vs ION