War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Dodge Stealth vs. My SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is soo much misinformation in this thread I don’t know where to start ... VR4's are not as fast as you are making them out to be ..they have allot of potential but it costs allot of money

yes their transmissions are fragile and yes they weigh allot . from a roll this is completely conceivable.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by c7015
there is soo much misinformation in this thread I don’t know where to start ... VR4's are not as fast as you are making them out to be ..they have allot of potential but it costs allot of money

yes their transmissions are fragile and yes they weigh allot . from a roll this is completely conceivable.

I agree. From a roll I think it would be close. From a dig, no way in hell unless the TT driver didn't want to rag on it. Keep in mind that when you launch a TT you rev it up and pretty much dump the clutch and get instant traction. Not good on the drivetrain at all. The 1-2 shift is pretty violent too. Feels and sounds like the rear bumper hits the ground on the 1-2.

I always wanted to get a base SOHC and put a TT motor in it and keep it FWD. It has been done a lot now and they are damn fast. TT AWD motor in a much lighter chassis without AWD must be a traction nightmare from a dig but from a roll, watch out!

Oh and without a doubt my 96 3kgt was the nicest car I have owned. Most comfortable, most gorgeous, and had the best options. If it weren't for the tranny issues I would have kept it. I just couldn't afford to put a second tranny in it.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by freakaccident
If you beat on any year VR4 it will hit 13's every time. The 99s could hit very low 13s everytime. If you want your clutch, tranny, and tcase to last you will run low 14s. The trannys on them are the big issue. Very few vr4s or rt/tts make it past 100k miles on the stock tranny. Mine lasted to 77k.

The base model up until 97 did not have the 222hp DOHC v6. It had a SOHC v6 and I am guessing but I think 160hp. The SL had the DOHC 222hp v6 up to 97. 97 and 98 NON turbos all had the DOHC I believe. The SOHC models ran 16s. The DOHC models ran consistent mid 15s with a few people actually breaking into the 14s. The fastest I had ever seen was a 14.4 in a DOHC.
actually the base up until 97 did have the dohc 222hp v6. the 97 on did not have the dohc they have the sohc. The sl always had the same engine through all years. I have never seen anyone dump the clutch on any vr-4 because those that had pretty much kissed their car good bye of course some made it out alive but the major majority never did.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
actually the base up until 97 did have the dohc 222hp v6. the 97 on did not have the dohc they have the sohc. The sl always had the same engine through all years. I have never seen anyone dump the clutch on any vr-4 because those that had pretty much kissed their car good bye of course some made it out alive but the major majority never did.

Not true if we are talking about Stealths. Of course we were talking 3s in general. I looked up the actual facts. Neither of us were 100% correct.

1991 - 1996 - STEALTH BASE = 164hp SOHC
1991 - 1996 - 3000GT BASE = 222hp DOHC
1997-1999 - 3000GT BASE = 161HP SOHC

Dumping the clutch or rather slipping it out extremely quickly is how you run 13s in that car. You don't side step it like you would in a s2k but you let it out practically as fast as you can. Almost everyone does it and it doesn't immediately cause damage unless you have super sticky tires.

Last edited by freakaccident; 02-16-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by freakaccident
Not true if we are talking about Stealths. Of course we were talking 3s in general. I looked up the actual facts. Neither of us were 100% correct.

1991 - 1996 - STEALTH BASE = 164hp SOHC
1991 - 1996 - 3000GT BASE = 222hp DOHC
1997-1999 - 3000GT BASE = 161HP SOHC

Dumping the clutch or rather slipping it out extremely quickly is how you run 13s in that car. You don't side step it like you would in a s2k but you let it out practically as fast as you can. Almost everyone does it and it doesn't immediately cause damage unless you have super sticky tires.
hmm yeah I was referring to the 3k's ... but see getting to 13's consistantly or even hitting it will be a tough under taking for the early models with their heavy (nearly 50 pound) clutches that were slippy to begin with. A perfect launch in the early 3k's (vr-4's) to get to the 13's is way to difficult and abusive for most that have ever owned the car ... bolt ons didn't really solve the issue either but it of course helped a lil. ... the later 3rd and 4th gens were the only one's that could hit 13's without putting the cars life at risk. ... oh and I just went against a black base 2nd gen and a white 3rd gen sl, I think they were just cruisin together but the black one just had to see what he could do (it was modded with dual exhaust but single end tips and an intake ... you could tell when any of the 3k's had an intake cus it sucks air super loud) and the white one joined in but cut out early but needless to say neither of them gave me a run worth goin passed 3rd
Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 PM

I had an 95' RT stealth. It was a 3.0 liter V-6 with DOHC. Loved the ride & looks of the car but I think my ss/sc is a bit quicker. The SOHC V-6 had 164 HP. I've also heard that the TT stealths are a mechanical headache.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysonk12
I had an 95' RT stealth. It was a 3.0 liter V-6 with DOHC. Loved the ride & looks of the car but I think my ss/sc is a bit quicker. The SOHC V-6 had 164 HP. I've also heard that the TT stealths are a mechanical headache.
more like a nightmare from what I understand ... and then you get to see the receipt
Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 AM

hmm yeah I was referring to the 3k's ... but see getting to 13's consistantly or even hitting it will be a tough under taking for the early models with their heavy (nearly 50 pound) clutches that were slippy to begin with. A perfect launch in the early 3k's (vr-4's) to get to the 13's is way to difficult and abusive for most that have ever owned the car ... bolt ons didn't really solve the issue either but it of course helped a lil. ... the later 3rd and 4th gens were the only one's that could hit 13's without putting the cars life at risk. ... oh and I just went against a black base 2nd gen and a white 3rd gen sl, I think they were just cruisin together but the black one just had to see what he could do (it was modded with dual exhaust but single end tips and an intake ... you could tell when any of the 3k's had an intake cus it sucks air super loud) and the white one joined in but cut out early but needless to say neither of them gave me a run worth goin passed 3rd
I had a 96 and I could run mid 13s in my sleep bone stock. I had plenty of 3S friends with 1st gens that could do it in their sleep too. We made fun of people who babied theirs and hit low 14s. I don't buy the clutch BS for a second. C&D ran a high 12 in a stock 99. I know they sway things a bit but who knows? 99s are like the holy grail. My buddy when I lived in Tampa had a white 99 with 357 turbos and made a stock viper look stupid. Thats was about 6 years ago. Im sure things have come a long way.

EDIT: I did have a friend with a Indy 500 Edition Stealth TT that could never hit 13s stock. Dunno what was wrong with it but we all tried and the best was like a 14.15. It just didnt pull. Boost guage was normal for stock. He refused to mod it so we never messed around any further.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:24 AM

more like a nightmare from what I understand ... and then you get to see the receipt
If you do it yourself it's cheap. Still a PITA! The 60k mile service takes all day IF you are a good mechanic. Timing belt change on 4 cams isn't fun when you have 2"s of room between the motor and body. Changing the spark plugs took me almost 2 hours the first time I did it. Changing the rear turbo is another story in frustration. Definitely a high maint. woman!