War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Eclipse AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grammer discussions aside , you should win. My friends raced a while back; one had a Redline with a CAI, and the other had a stock turboed eclipse, same year you're talking about. It took some exhaust mods before the eclipse could hang with the Redline. However, it's out of the Redline's league now; it just put down 349/304 on the dyno.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DSMissed
I love how grammar is always used as a weak way to talk ****...never fails.
ahahah agreed!! oo by the way i belive the never fails is a fragmentation! you may want to revise that! ahahah j/j
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Oh, I totally believe that a redline with exhaust beat a stock DSM. stock quarter mile times are a half a second to a full second apart, and the DSM has up to 15ish years on a redline/cobalt...so the sc coline/redbalt (lol) technically should win, but not for long if the DSM owner wants to spend a few $$$

Sorry if my grammar is poor.... i is a pore wite gerl
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Oh, I totally believe that a redline with exhaust beat a stock DSM. stock quarter mile times are a half a second to a full second apart, and the DSM has up to 15ish years on a redline/cobalt...so the sc coline/redbalt (lol) technically should win, but not for long if the DSM owner wants to spend a few $$$

Sorry if my grammar is poor.... i is a pore wite gerl
ahahaha!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 PM

stock to stock youll kill it. the 98 has a T-25 turbo AKA the t-twenty slow, to hit 11's he could stuff a ported 14B in there, hard pipes, tubular O2 housing, ported 2G manifold i could fo on and on but the 14B has been known to go 11's or quicker. DSM's with the right mods are lethal. oh and the7bolts dont crank walk as much as people think. now if you do a 6 bolt swap your golden with no worries (ive built 2 DSMs one very extensively.)
Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 PM

^^^X2

Crankwalk is so overrated. And I think most of the people that talk about it just heard it from someone else and probably don't even truely know what it is anyways.

Oh and I have a question for you 1fastss....since you've built them...for my clutch/flywheel setup I think I'm leaning toward the ACT 2600 and a Fidanza alum. flywheel. What do you think/recommend?

Last edited by DSMissed; 01-30-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 AM

^^^X2

Crankwalk is so overrated. And I think most of the people that talk about it just heard it from someone else and probably don't even truely know what it is anyways.

Oh and I have a question for you 1fastss....since you've built them...for my clutch/flywheel setup I think I'm leaning toward the ACT 2600 and a Fidanza alum. flywheel. What do you think/recommend?
Crankwalk is way overrated (Im so wearing my DSMTuners.com shirt right now). First of all its a non-issue on 6 bolt cars and early 7 bolt cars. Its really only the 2Ga's that have the problem with crankwalk. And if you really investigate the problem, its normally on higher mileage cars, with a manual transmission and the driver has kept there foot on the clutch for way to long.

I would swap to an Evo III 16G before I went to a ported 14B, expecially if your already swapping the T25. Why restrict yourself with the 14B. Might as well go straight to the 16G, or GT35R. Have you noticed a couple guys sticking 42R's on there DSM's....HOLY ****!

The ACT 2600 with a Fidanza is hard to drive on the street. The light weight flywheel tends to drop revs very quick, and with the on/off style engagement of the 2600, its very easy to kill the car. Also, the 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 shifts can be very jerky if your not careful with your driving. However its a very good track clutch, and it held up on my talon for as long as I owned the car. And the car made more 11 second passes then I can ever possibly remember.

I want to say I spent 3,500 on parts for the dsm, plus probably another 500 having AMS tune it (I tuned it first with 550's out of an RX-7 which crapped out on me, so i went to 550 RC Engineering injectors and it needed a retune).

It was a 1992 Talon Tsi AWD:
6 bolt
Wiesco pistons
Evo III 16G
3 inch thermal R&D turboback
Open dump wastegate (gota love the sound of an open dump)
2G MAS, then switched back to 1G with second tune
Airbox mod
Front mount intercooler/custom piping
TurboXS blow off valve
ACT 2600 with Fidanza flywheel
SAFC
550 cc/min RC Engineering injectors.
Gauges

Good for an 11.4. Oh yeah, and gota love the recall on the T-case!!! (oh and i might be forgetting some little things)
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM

haha, nice. My goal for my Talon is only 12s. I had the 2600 in a FWD turbo Talon that I had before, and I really liked it. I didn't think it was jerky, and I only killed it the first time I tried to drive it. And thats part of the reason I want the Fidanza...is for the quick revs. I don't know. I contemplated just the 2100, but I don't know. Right now I think the car is right at a low, low 13. I have a fuel pump and a meth kit waiting to go on, I'm just waiting to get the 16g and some injectors, FPR, and I'll be set. My biggest decision tho, is the clutch/flywheel setup. I'm stressin'!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 AM

yeah with the ACT2600 (thats what i had, i ran the 6 puck) you better go to the gym and work out your legs, its a rough clutch, the fidanzas arent too bad, some people dont like them because they are 2 piece and bolted togeather, but i ran one with no problems.

i mentioned the 14B because i said it could be done. i personaly ran a buscher TD06 20G that was ported and clipped, my biggest restriction was i was running a ported 2G manifold with the external wastegate flange welded on. ill have to dig up the parts list from the laser, it was extensive i never finished the car for the record, but i have a few pics of the mountain of parts i stopped the project because i decided to concentrate on my camaro instead of the DSM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM

haha, nice. My goal for my Talon is only 12s. I had the 2600 in a FWD turbo Talon that I had before, and I really liked it. I didn't think it was jerky, and I only killed it the first time I tried to drive it. And thats part of the reason I want the Fidanza...is for the quick revs. I don't know. I contemplated just the 2100, but I don't know. Right now I think the car is right at a low, low 13. I have a fuel pump and a meth kit waiting to go on, I'm just waiting to get the 16g and some injectors, FPR, and I'll be set. My biggest decision tho, is the clutch/flywheel setup. I'm stressin'!!!
Hiya guys, my first post here. DSMissed, get an SBR clutch. The SBR 3800 series clutch with street disk has a MUCH less resistant clutch pedal than a ACT 2600, and you get a much better grip. You'll be VERY happy with it. Just make sure you get a SS braided clutch hardline and make sure your clutch petal assembly is good. If you have any questions, don't hesistate to send me an email, or IM me.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by EagleTalonTSiAWD
Hiya guys, my first post here. DSMissed, get an SBR clutch. The SBR 3800 series clutch with street disk has a MUCH less resistant clutch pedal than a ACT 2600, and you get a much better grip. You'll be VERY happy with it. Just make sure you get a SS braided clutch hardline and make sure your clutch petal assembly is good. If you have any questions, don't hesistate to send me an email, or IM me.
nothing against this guy, but how is it that everytime we talk about a different kind of car, we get a new member that dosen't own a cobalt? we have spies in our midst.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM

finally, an intelligent post.
12's

50trim 680's and some adjustments on the SAFC+race gas...12's

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Originally Posted by Awetback
12's

50trim 680's and some adjustments on the SAFC+race gas...11's

Last edited by Awetback; 02-17-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

i think hell take you
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 PM

you should have no problem with him if hes stock my friend has a 92 talon tsi awd. we raced from a dig he pulled 2 cars on the luanch but i caught him at about the top of second and put 3 cars on him by 100. hes running 17psi. we raced a bunch of times all w/similar outcomes.
this summer he getting a bigger turbo fmic and turbo back exhaust.
time for me to get a smaller pully and some traction mods he'll probly still kill me
Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM

you probably don't even need all that. that talon is going to come apart. they're fun ass cars and pretty cheap to make fast, but they aren't the most reliable things in the world.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
If it takes a 20g for a DSM to take a stock balt then there is something mental with the driver and he shouldn't have a license to start with.

Stock vs. stock...you will win but not by much.
MBC for $10 and airbox mod and he'll own you. Simple as that.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your a retard
You turn me on...

And on that note... Refer to this post (This guy was stock though): https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/ss-sc-vs-2nd-gen-eclipse-gs-t-46662/

This guy was FWD... and I pulled like a ***** on him. But... I'm not stock... or even close. I think you will have a very close race. Just do it! And Film it!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:03 PM

I have yet to race a fast SS/SC, so I dont know. But, from what I have seen, you should win.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by HowieSS
So a buddy of mine just bought a used late 90's Eclipse. He said it is the AWD turbo model and it is stock except for a cai.
Aren't those called GSX-T's or something like that?

Anyway, he's sayin he's gonna own my stock SS/SC.

Does anyone know what these are capable of?
I've never had a run in with one and I was just curious.

Thanks in advance!
GST: front wheel drive turbo - probably a win
GSX: all wheel drive turbo - probably a drivers race