War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Even with the 6.0 GTO???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kinda find this hard to believe with only simple mods but hey if it happened then so be it. At 5200' i ran a 13.73 @ 100 with a high 8 sec 1/8 mile without my tune. All the modded cobalts there were running mid-high 14's as well as a stage 2 SRT-4 that was running mid to low 14's. I just don't see it happening easily.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM

I have a 2006 GTO now but since I had a 2005 SS/SC I will try to be nice.

Sorry but 230whp isn't going to touch a 6.0 GTO, my SS/SC had 246whp and a 6.0 would kill me even from a perfect roll speed.

A SS/SC with 280whp may keep up in the 1/4 but the 400HP LS2 will still pull up top with ease. And where the hell are you guys coming up with these weight differences? Try 800-850lbs difference.

The more post I see here the more I think some people are dreaming..........
Was I this way when I had my Camaro SS??? I hope not. The biggest factor besides weight that you guys are forgetting...GEARING. A GTO has what 3:42's? Big difference between 4:05's and 3:42's. My brother went from 3:42's to 3:73's in his camaro and when he did it made a car that lost by a couple car lengths...into a car that stayed door to door and thats just 3:73's. The other thing is yes your GTO's pull better times at the strip...but how many times does one need to highlight the fact that the FWD Cobalt is not a drag car...it's a Xcrosser. From a roll they are VERY capable of holding their own against a LS1 or LS2 with some mods. I beat LS1 GTO's and a LS2 GTO in my Camaro SS and I know that my SS was not much faster (about 1 car length from 40-110) than my stage 2 cobalt...how do I know? Because I own both and have ran them before.

The 8 cylinder guys with LS1's and LS2's need to stop dreaming...the GTO is faster...stock for stock...yes...but with modd's...anything can happen...don't kid yourself just because you are proud of your new car.

I kinda find this hard to believe with only simple mods but hey if it happened then so be it. At 5200' i ran a 13.73 @ 100 with a high 8 sec 1/8 mile without my tune. All the modded cobalts there were running mid-high 14's as well as a stage 2 SRT-4 that was running mid to low 14's. I just don't see it happening easily.
I love to meet guys quoting quartermile times on the street...one more time for everyone...COBALTS ARE NOT MEANT FOR DRAG RACING!!!! THEY HAVE NO TRACTION!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
well i know that a stage 2 SRT4 can leave a GTO behind easily, and my cobalt as well, so if they werent running very good times then they must have been having some kind of issues, minus the altitude factor. if you look at my 1/8 time, you will see that its not too far off from high 8's, and thats when i was stock.

i agree that the story is hard to believe, i was there and couldnt believe it. i seriously was trying to make excuses FOR them in my head. but i couldnt shake the fact that it happened twice in a week.

i agree with FNFAST's post, cobalts are definitely not the best drag cars, so the times they run dont represent the true SPEED of the car... rather, the terrible launching ability that they have. haha!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 PM

it seems the gto is extremely hard to drive...any owners please chime in, but i see HUGE variations in times and it seems alot of em run alot slower than they are capable of at the track. something must be tough about launching or something...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SSBOOST
He weighs a bit more than 1000. I raced a 6.0 and he beat me but it wasn't as bad of a loss as I thought would be. 230whp should take care of these guys.
wrong cause when i was at 245WHP with a 3.0 pulley from a 40 punch i still got walked by them from 80 and up. 2.85 and no fuel would equal a loss in my book too. once your run to lean car will stop pulling after a point. IF he has injectors then hey anythings possible
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM

I'll chime in here with real time experience. My buddy bought an 06 GTO and after break in time we raced, and then after I was modded we raced again. Here's how it went down:

1. Stock 6.0L GTO vs SS/SC w/Injen intake = I lost by about 2-3 cars from a couple digs and rolls.

2. Stock 6.0L GTO vs SS/SC w/Injen intake, Corsa Exhaust, and GMPP Stage 2 = I won by 1-2 cars each time from 3 separate rolls. I also had a 200lb passenger this time as well to attest to the races. When we went to race from a dig, he tore off the line and my clutch said so you know how that race ended. Luckily I limped the car home.

Overall the GTO is badass. Modded those things have the potential to be animals! It was nice though to avenge my first loss, but in the end the GOAT got the best my SS.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 PM

i valeted for a couple years awhile back, and i drove a couple of GTO's. i could see these trannies being tough to get used to. thats why i mentioned that other factors could have been involved.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

GTO suffers from the same wheel hop issues as the Cobalt SS. Granted the GTO is rear-wheel drive that helps a bit during launch, but the wheelhop is still there. The IRS does hinder it some for drag racing, but then again the GTO won't skip around sideways when you hit a bump like the F-bodies will.

Neither car is a drag-strip queen, but neither car should be taken lightly and both cars can be made fast at the strip or the street as is true with any car. I believe Mines_Better's incident, especially since I've seen many of his kills first hand. When I had my Saturn Ion Redline with a K&N CAI, from a 30 roll, he'd pull a good 4 car lengths on me, so I tend to believe that either his bolt-on set-up is better suited for his car, or he just has a factory freak. Incase he hasn't let anyone know, he's already had a 2nd engine installed by GM
Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
it seems the gto is extremely hard to drive...any owners please chime in, but i see HUGE variations in times and it seems alot of em run alot slower than they are capable of at the track. something must be tough about launching or something...

Not hard to drive. Extremely hard to LAUNCH. IRS=bitch
Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
I'll chime in here with real time experience. My buddy bought an 06 GTO and after break in time we raced, and then after I was modded we raced again. Here's how it went down:

1. Stock 6.0L GTO vs SS/SC w/Injen intake = I lost by about 2-3 cars from a couple digs and rolls.

2. Stock 6.0L GTO vs SS/SC w/Injen intake, Corsa Exhaust, and GMPP Stage 2 = I won by 1-2 cars each time from 3 separate rolls. I also had a 200lb passenger this time as well to attest to the races. When we went to race from a dig, he tore off the line and my clutch said so you know how that race ended. Luckily I limped the car home.

Overall the GTO is badass. Modded those things have the potential to be animals! It was nice though to avenge my first loss, but in the end the GOAT got the best my SS.
2K5SS/SC I don't know you personally but i like you so even though im about to argue with you please dont take it personal.

Ok my first argument is that im gonna break down your mods in that post to basically a 3.1 pully, safe as hell stage 2 tune and a cat back. Now with these mods which is proven to not put down any more than 230-240 WHP your trying to say WITH added weight from a passenger you took a stock 6.0 GTO from a roll. Even though im not saying you didn't win that race fair and square I'm almost positive it wasn't done withyou out power to weight ratioing the guy. Please clear these claims up. And remember im staking stabs but its not personal
Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by HotSauce
Not hard to drive. Extremely hard to LAUNCH. IRS=bitch
yea independent is gay for dragging, but come on man, i see 6.0's running consistant high 13's and sometimes low 14's...that car is capable of alot better than that. something else has to be going on. does anyone know what kinda gearing it has? is the stock rubber horrible? or is it really THAT hard to launch?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Pretty sure the GTO has the same t-56 out of the camaro's. Could be wrong. Also, the gearing on the sticks is 3:42's and 3:23's on the auto's if I am not mistaken.

For one...LS1's (can't say for LS2's as I never owned one) do not truly "break in" until aroun 50,000 miles...at least in regards to speed. They will get much faster as the motor gets more miles on it. Second...from owning all the LS1's that I have I can say with 100% accuracy...not all of those motors are made equal ...they very a great deal...I have seen 98 Camaros with 280 horse at the wheels and I have seen 99's with 310 at the wheels. Sounds weird, but it's true. My stock 98 LS1 was faster than my 00 LS1 SS, before I did some mods.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun
2K5SS/SC I don't know you personally but i like you so even though im about to argue with you please dont take it personal.

Ok my first argument is that im gonna break down your mods in that post to basically a 3.1 pully, safe as hell stage 2 tune and a cat back. Now with these mods which is proven to not put down any more than 230-240 WHP your trying to say WITH added weight from a passenger you took a stock 6.0 GTO from a roll. Even though im not saying you didn't win that race fair and square I'm almost positive it wasn't done withyou out power to weight ratioing the guy. Please clear these claims up. And remember im staking stabs but its not personal
Nothing personal taken bro, it's all good. My buddies weight isn't a huge factor at all, just a slight drag. I did win fair and square though. I am a better driver than the guy in the GTO, so that is a benefactor to me as well, but I did allow him to downshift first along with myself then we rolled, so drivers skill wasn't a huge factor as we only had to pull one gear before we let off each time. Here is a breakdown of power to weight ratio using whp numbers though if you're interested. I searched online and stock LS2 GTOs are on average 350whp and 350wtrq stock.

SS/SC 2970lbs/235whp = 12.64 ratio
GTO 3750lbs/350whp = 10.71 ratio

edited for post below - I looked at the numbers backwards oops, and now I don't know how I pulled him, I just know that I did.

Last edited by 2K5SS/SC?; 01-02-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Nothing personal taken bro, it's all good. My buddies weight isn't a huge factor at all, just a slight drag. I did win fair and square though. I am a better driver than the guy in the GTO, so that is a benefactor to me as well, but I did allow him to downshift first along with myself then we rolled, so drivers skill wasn't a huge factor as we only had to pull one gear before we let off each time. Here is a breakdown of power to weight ratio using whp numbers though if you're interested. I searched online and stock LS2 GTOs are on average 350whp and 350wtrq stock.

SS/SC 2970lbs/235whp = 12.64 ratio
GTO 3750lbs/350whp = 10.71 ratio

With that said I believe the math adds up to pulling the GTO by a car or two just like the runs went. Trust me when I say that I'm not lying here. I'm way to honest of a person to lie, and I have a heavy conscience that weighs on every statement I make.
yo you do realize that the gto's ratio is better than yours. lb per hp means how many pounds there are per horsepower...he has lass...that means greater power to weight ratio. that would add up to HIM pulling YOU lol. lower the number, better the ratio.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM

yo you do realize that the gto's ratio is better than yours. lb per hp means how many pounds there are per horsepower...he has lass...that means greater power to weight ratio. that would add up to HIM pulling YOU lol. lower the number, better the ratio.
Still 12.5 lb per horse and 11.8 lbs per horse is still pretty close...especially considering the gearing ratio advantage for the cobalt is HUGE.

This story is totally believable...not sure why you are getting you ***** busted so bad (not by you gro)...but from someone who has driven the GTO's and owned LS1's...I say GOOD WIN
Old 01-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
Still 12.5 lb per horse and 11.8 lbs per horse is still pretty close...especially considering the gearing ratio advantage for the cobalt is HUGE.

This story is totally believable...not sure why you are getting you ***** busted so bad (not by you gro)...but from someone who has driven the GTO's and owned LS1's...I say GOOD WIN
its beleivable no doubt, but it's 10.8 not 11.8 and 12.6 to 10.8 is a big difference and you also have to remember the torque difference. the gearing is like you said a HUGE advantage to the ss tho and i think this could happen with the said mods.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 PM

ts beleivable no doubt, but it's 10.8 not 11.8 and 12.6 to 10.8 is a big difference and you also have to remember the torque difference. the gearing is like you said a HUGE advantage to the ss tho and i think this could happen with the said mods.
****..your right it is 10.8, not 11.8...sorry I just pulled my head out.

Yeah, I agree...even lightly modded...nope...but it could happen with his mods.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Sorry but with those mods alone you didn't walk a LS2 from a roll. My SS/SC was what 10hp short of yours and I couldn't even stay within 2 cars of a stock LS2 GTO.

Think about this folks,

A stock LS2 GTO will be a close race for a LS1 F-Body in the 1/4 and from a roll the LS2 will pull easily. I have had 2 LS1 F-Bodies so I can vouch for that. A stock LS2 GTO can easily put 4-5 cars on a 2005-2007 Mustang GT from a roll.

So when the hell did a Stage 2 SS/SC have the ability to keep up with a LS1 F-Body better yet a LS2 GTO? I could only pull 1-1.5 cars on a Mustang GT from a roll also.

If anyone is near the Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls area I would gladly meet up in my car to show anyone.

This place is usually BS free but these stories are becoming more and more stinky!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Sorry but with those mods alone you didn't walk a LS2 from a roll. My SS/SC was what 10hp short of yours and I couldn't even stay within 2 cars of a stock LS2 GTO.

Think about this folks,

A stock LS2 GTO will be a close race for a LS1 F-Body in the 1/4 and from a roll the LS2 will pull easily. I have had 2 LS1 F-Bodies so I can vouch for that. A stock LS2 GTO can easily put 4-5 cars on a 2005-2007 Mustang GT from a roll.

So when the hell did a Stage 2 SS/SC have the ability to keep up with a LS1 F-Body better yet a LS2 GTO? I could only pull 1-1.5 cars on a Mustang GT from a roll also.

If anyone is near the Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls area I would gladly meet up in my car to show anyone.

This place is usually BS free
but these stories are becoming more and more stinky!

thanks for the laugh

i've kinda given in to giving people the BIG benefit of the doubt because it's bad when the bs threads start, but it's even worse when arguments start with people pulling stuff out of their asses.

doesn't he have a bit more than stage 2? i thought stage 2 ran a bigger pulley, but maybe not. he should be running, what high 13's with his mods..? ls2 gto runs ehhh mid-low 13s? i dono, the ls2 SHOULD win, but since it is on the street, could have been a real bad driver in the gto and there are alot of different factors im just gonna say...its possible.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
****..your right it is 10.8, not 11.8...sorry I just pulled my head out.

Yeah, I agree...even lightly modded...nope...but it could happen with his mods.
BUT..........You remember he said he ALSO had a passenger so he was at even more of a disadvantage. Had this been a 5.7 liter kill story i would have indulged it but the 6.0 Hello no. i Have vids of an auto racing my friends fully bolt on stage 1 srt-4 and when i saw the Goat comeing back at 140 MPH i was like "WTF aint that **** stock" Let me drum up those vids there really good races anyway just to watch.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by codyss

Think about this folks,

This place is usually BS free but these stories are becoming more and more stinky!
I agree i had 245 WHP and a stock M6 walked me basically right after i shifted into third at 65 by 80 i was at his trunk and falling fast. 3 cars by 120 at least.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Ight here they are
My boys rich's car Mods at time.
Stg1, AGP FMIC, I/DP/Hard pipies, AGP WGA, I believe thats all power mods he was 260 wheel and 320 TQ (before FMIC) I got those dyno sheets for any who wants to see

RED SRT 4 was my boy BT has only a WGA But was fast for some reason

Black cert 4 had stage 2, AGP WGA
And I believe mr cheeks from off this web site is some where in there. stage 2 cobalt 2.8

Black stge 2 cobalt vs Black srt-4 at 3:17
Blk cobalt vs black srt-4 again (cobalt messes up launch so gto goes around and takes cobalts place

Tony's stg 2 srt vs Gto from dig at 2:18 ( and tonys car ran 13.4-6's on street tires)

Rich's car races the GTO at around 4 mins into it (good Races)
Rich's car was traping 106-107 consistantly at the track.

http://apfilmproductions.com/april28.mpg right click save as please or my friend with stop the server

enjoy I posting up over vids in a little

Last edited by Darksun; 01-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Rich same mods VS The black stage 2 srt-4 and a stock m3

http://media.putfile.com/SRT-4s-Vs-02-M3
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM

I can't believe that Auto GTO came back againt rich's car in the final race of the vids. I'll never believe a cobalt with a bull **** mods list on here took one out cause my boy with the black cobalt could barley handle the stge 2 w/ a waste gate let alone the GTO
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

So what will people say now?

Quick Reply: Even with the 6.0 GTO???