War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Even with the 6.0 GTO???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from a roll the LS2 will pull easily. I have had 2 LS1 F-Bodies so I can vouch for that. A stock LS2 GTO can easily put 4-5 cars on a 2005-2007 Mustang GT from a roll.
I have had a 98 camaro LS1 and a 00 SS LS1...and enough LT1's to make your head spin. I have also had my 00 SS raced against me which will win against a LS2 GTO...I know because I ran one. Say what you want...but I too know more than well what a LS2 and LS1 and LT1 are capable of and how they will fair at least against my cobalt.

I could really care less about who "thinks" what...from another guy who has owned both cars I disagree with you. From a dig...no ******* way...GTO hands down. From a roll...a little more than a stage 2 and the GTO will have his hands full. Do I have video..nope...but I don't need it. Keep telling yourself whatever you want...the LS cars vary a great deal in speed and a modded cobalt is no slouch from a roll and from my experiences...very well could happen.

Good Kill.

Where the hell is Lucky333 he can vouch for me on this thread regarding GTO's. But, regardless....you guys see a GTO get beat and there is no way...no ******* way...show me video..(which they have), then it is "oh **** that" he's not even racing!...Then the guy comes on and says yes I was..."then all you hear is "guy can't drive"..."guy missed a shift"...guy has bald tires"...

To all you that haven't driven the GTO or LS1's, I will tell you..yes they are fast...but to flat out be told you can't beat one...race one and see...you will see that half the people on this thread are wrong...mainly the ones with GTO's scared of getting their new car pride hurt.

Not trying to be a dick, but seriously guys.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

So what will people say now?
People will say...wow...a vid of a GTO beating a cobalt...

we all saw the vid of the cobalt beating the gto too...

pretty sad when a guy with a cobalt posts on a cobalt thread, what happened in a race...not even being arrogant or a dick about it and GTO owners (again on a Cobalt Site)...start saying...BS.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:03 PM

So what will people say now?
or I can act like the typical LS1 owner on this site...Cobatl wasn't racing...thats not what they sound like...hw had four passengers, bald tires, his stereo on, 87 octane...blah...blah...blah...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
or I can act like the typical LS1 owner on this site...Cobatl wasn't racing...thats not what they sound like...hw had four passengers, bald tires, his stereo on, 87 octane...blah...blah...blah...

What about running on a shitty tune?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 PM

well after watching those videos, MY story seems pretty believable. the GTO didnt really start kicking ass until the upper MPH's, which is what happened to me. great videos by the way!
i really hope this thread doesnt go bad like all the others.
the GTO in that video was an auto, which doesnt mess up when shifting, and always drives perfect. if it was a manual with an average driver, i think those races may have been different. point being, a cobalt beating one isnt impossible and he never said that he was faster than all GTO's, just that particular one.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
well after watching those videos, MY story seems pretty believable. the GTO didnt really start kicking ass until the upper MPH's, which is what happened to me. great videos by the way!
i really hope this thread doesnt go bad like all the others.
the GTO in that video was an auto, which doesnt mess up when shifting, and always drives perfect. if it was a manual with an average driver, i think those races may have been different. point being, a cobalt beating one isnt impossible and he never said that he was faster than all GTO's, just that particular one.
no joke after seeing that auto GTO get down in person against my friends cars we were all humble. Price, motor size and everything aside for a stock car Non of us exspected that from the GTO let alone an auto one. I believe every street story i hear i never doubt when some one says they beat a car in what ever circumstance they were in. I used to argue with people but then i realized The streets are a magical place where anything can happen. But so help the cobalt owner on here who gets stage two or an intake and thinks he's gonna go out GTO hunting with a passenger and a trunk full of crap thinking to him self "No sweat. Guy online with a similar mod list said he beat one so im good." he's in for a rude awakaing. And the story wont be "I put two cars on him from a 40 roll" its gonna come back like "I think i did pretty well i only lost by 3-4 cars before the other guy let off. once i get my magnaflow exhaust it'll be a lot closer."
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 AM

To give people hope that black cobalt in that vid got a 2.7 pulley and a real tune, gutted cat and i would say now he could beat a stock gto from a 40 roll up to a certain speed no doubt in my mind about that. He aint winning by cars but he'd win. He's in the 260whp range though now.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Banned

hmmm........being an owner of an LS2 GTO, I don't recall calling B.S. on Mines_Better's run against a GTO. As a matter of fact, I believe his run especially since I saw him beat a 5.7 on an 1/8 mile run. I think someone's making generalizations about owners of certain cars........
Old 01-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by TXRLU
hmmm........being an owner of an LS2 GTO, I don't recall calling B.S. on Mines_Better's run against a GTO. As a matter of fact, I believe his run especially since I saw him beat a 5.7 on an 1/8 mile run. I think someone's making generalizations about owners of certain cars........
welcome to cobaltss.net!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
welcome to cobaltss.net!
Its so tru thats the sad part.... God i hate this place sometimes. Were the new Clubrsx when it comes to fanboisim.
And im waiting for someone to come in here , qoute me and tell me "Why don't you just leave then". Thats the usaual next step for the noobs around here....
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 AM

I'm not trying to BS you guys here. Hopefully you don't see it that way. I'm just telling you guys exactly what happened in my case. I think from a dig I would have lost for sure. My buddy Randy isn't the greatest driver either. I'm sure with someone better behind the wheel the car just may have been faster. Who knows, I've only ridden in it he won't allow me to drive it. I will say that I know how to drive my car quite well. We rolled from 40-45mph in second gear and I pulled right up close to that lovely 7000rpms. The GTO has to shift sooner, so that is where I got my 1-2 cars at. I shifted faster than Randy and kept her in the power band and retained my lead. As everyone knows this is a sweet spot for our cars, so I took advantage of it. To the nay sayers, I won't be able to prove it as I don't have videos. So you can take this for what it's worth I guess.

For an SRT-4 comparison, my buddy with Mopar stage 1 ecu, full 3" TBE, AEM intake, and AGP wastegate set at 18-20psi will put 1-2 cars on mine everytime. I do get the inital jump though from working my cars powerband the best I can.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
I'm not trying to BS you guys here. Hopefully you don't see it that way. I'm just telling you guys exactly what happened in my case. I think from a dig I would have lost for sure. My buddy Randy isn't the greatest driver either. I'm sure with someone better behind the wheel the car just may have been faster. Who knows, I've only ridden in it he won't allow me to drive it. I will say that I know how to drive my car quite well. We rolled from 40-45mph in second gear and I pulled right up close to that lovely 7000rpms. The GTO has to shift sooner, so that is where I got my 1-2 cars at. I shifted faster than Randy and kept her in the power band and retained my lead. As everyone knows this is a sweet spot for our cars, so I took advantage of it. To the nay sayers, I won't be able to prove it as I don't have videos. So you can take this for what it's worth I guess.

For an SRT-4 comparison, my buddy with Mopar stage 1 ecu, full 3" TBE, AEM intake, and AGP wastegate set at 18-20psi will put 1-2 cars on mine everytime. I do get the inital jump though from working my cars powerband the best I can.
I believe your story. If you watch the vid i posted you can see the red srt-4 with just an AGP WGA vs the cobalt stage 2 and correction when i asked my boy he said he had a true 3.0 pully at the time with the flash. The red srt-4 would beat him by half a car than you see the red-t srt-4 vs the goat and he would get walked. I'm not sayig with a 2.8 pully and decent tune anyhitng could happen but only stage 2..... nah im not believing that one. IMO a 3.0 pully and bypass mod is better than stage 2 It'll put down the same or better numbers but thats a whole other argument for a whole other thread.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 AM

What about running on a shitty tune?
yeah that too!

I think someone's making generalizations about owners of certain cars........
I am also a LS1 owner (well JUST sold) so I was talking about myself as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Darksun
I believe your story. If you watch the vid i posted you can see the red srt-4 with just an AGP WGA vs the cobalt stage 2 and correction when i asked my boy he said he had a true 3.0 pully at the time with the flash. The red srt-4 would beat him by half a car than you see the red-t srt-4 vs the goat and he would get walked. I'm not sayig with a 2.8 pully and decent tune anyhitng could happen but only stage 2..... nah im not believing that one. IMO a 3.0 pully and bypass mod is better than stage 2 It'll put down the same or better numbers but thats a whole other argument for a whole other thread.
I'll have to watch the video when I get home. I still can't watch anything over here in the desert. I'll be back soon and check it out though. Either way this thread makes for intereting converstion. I just can't wait to get back to drive my car again!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
I'll have to watch the video when I get home. I still can't watch anything over here in the desert. I'll be back soon and check it out though. Either way this thread makes for intereting converstion. I just can't wait to get back to drive my car again!
hahah i feel you. I went 5 months with out my car when i blew it up the first time. you'll enjoy the vids too some good races in there
Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

I think it's pretty fair to say that in any situation the GTO is eventually going to pull from a modded SS/SC. My LS2 GTO is the only "street " car I have driven that pulls harder than my 2002 Camaro SS did.

The GTO in the videos was just going to pull further and further away.

And I don't care what ecrap there is saying the Auto GTO is faster than the M6 it isn't.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
it seems the gto is extremely hard to drive...any owners please chime in, but i see HUGE variations in times and it seems alot of em run alot slower than they are capable of at the track. something must be tough about launching or something...
The goat is extremely hard to launch......the best 60' we've gotten is a 2.1

As fir the original poster.....good job, anything can happen on the street
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM

I think it's pretty fair to say that in any situation the GTO is eventually going to pull from a modded SS/SC. My LS2 GTO is the only "street " car I have driven that pulls harder than my 2002 Camaro SS did.
Agreed. Unless of course the GTO is stock and the SS/SC is modded the crap out of...a stage 3 for instance with the NOS equipped...don't think a stock GTO regardless of motor is going to handle that. But...better be pretty modded to beat a LS car from 80+mph.

And I don't care what ecrap there is saying the Auto GTO is faster than the M6 it isn't.
This is very true. If you can't drive you can probably pull better times in an auto..but if you can drive...especially in a car with that much torque and different gearing 3:42's over the 3:23's in the autos...you will given lessons to an auto...period. I have driven them and owned them..I can back cody on this 100%.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by codyss

The GTO in the videos was just going to pull further and further away.

i always hear stock for stock the autos can pull and do pull better times at the track. incorrect? thats just what i've heard
Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 AM

sorry but what you have on your car is not enough to beat a goat even if you get the jump it aint happening
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darksun
i always hear stock for stock the autos can pull and do pull better times at the track. incorrect? thats just what i've heard
The M6 and Auto GTO share the same 3.46 rear leaving transmission gearing different. A T-56 M6 is geared a little higher than the 4L65E but the Auto has to spin a TQ converter and pump.

So I would say the Auto has a first gear advantage but the M6 will pull after first if driven right. From a roll it isn't close unless you take off from a perfect sweet spot in the auto.

Here are the gear ratios:

4L65E T-56
1st - 3.06 2.97
2nd - 1.63 2.07
3rd - 1.00 1.43
4th - .70 1.00
5th - N/A .84
6th - N/A .57

So since the AUto eats more power it's pretty easy to see that it will come down to driving. The gear ratios also show why a M6 can pull from a Auto from a roll.

Last edited by codyss; 01-05-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 AM

sorry but what you have on your car is not enough to beat a goat even if you get the jump it aint happening
oh boy...here we go again.

seriously man...go look in the vid section before posting opinion would ya?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

It's true though.

In real life anyway...................
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM

you be quite cody

I can't wait till summer to run some of my buddies who have these cars. I used to get vids with them all the time and I will get more with the Cobalt. You guys ever stop to think that maybe the GTO got beat because the guy in the cobalt can actually drive...maybe it isnt the guy "can't drive in the GTO" but perhaps it is the guy CAN drive the SS/SC?

Like our SS/SC's...GTO's, camaro's, ect...they can all lose. When I ran my SS camrao in my cobalt...I lost by about a car and a half MAYBE...and my SS camaro beat a GTO by that much at least. Kinda makes you think.

But...street = anything can happen..never forget that.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
you be quite cody

I can't wait till summer to run some of my buddies who have these cars. I used to get vids with them all the time and I will get more with the Cobalt. You guys ever stop to think that maybe the GTO got beat because the guy in the cobalt can actually drive...maybe it isnt the guy "can't drive in the GTO" but perhaps it is the guy CAN drive the SS/SC?

Like our SS/SC's...GTO's, camaro's, ect...they can all lose. When I ran my SS camrao in my cobalt...I lost by about a car and a half MAYBE...and my SS camaro beat a GTO by that much at least. Kinda makes you think.

But...street = anything can happen..never forget that.
Wanna hear the sad thing after the two years i've been on this site i have honestly never thought of it that way no matter what the situation. Unless of course I personally went out and beat a 6.0 from a dig or roll than of course the race was won because the driver of the coablt was so completely and convincingly uber.

Quick Reply: Even with the 6.0 GTO???