War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Gto

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. F-Bodies are for White Trash
I'm speechless concerning the ignorance of this statement.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thedak
1. F-Bodies are for White Trash
2. F-Bodies are no longer made because they were ugly and didn't sell worth a crap.
3. The Mustang will be around long after the "next" Camaro goes out of production again.

The S197 Mustang is well built car and very solid. It does appeal to the older market but Ford is selling all of them so I am sure they dont care. Ford knows two things: Trucks and the Mustang.

This is coming from someone who owns a GM Product. If I slap a Maggie on my GTO, I might get into the 10's. Not to mention all the drivetrain parts I am either going to have to replace or fix.

Dude are you serious, I guess you fit the typical bill when it comes to Mustang fan boys.

I love #3 on your little list but think about these options that are also true:

3. The gum I **** out last week will be around long after the "next" Camaro goes out of production again.

3. The gravel on my driveway will be around long after the "next" Camaro goes out of production again.

Both may be true but like the Mustang that doesn't make them better.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM

That's what I keep telling the Mustang faithful and then they just mumble something while kicking the dirt. That OHV V-8 that Ford went to when they ditched the 5.0 hasn't panned out as they had planned. Sure the GT500 can put out 500 HP, but it needs a blower to do so. I think the retro look of the Mustang won't last too long. Its kinda sad when you have to revert to styling of your past and try to push it out as something "all-new". I prefer the sleek subtle lines below...........

You r right I don't know what was Ford thinking with the retro look.... HAHA..GM Forums are so funny when you bring up a Ford product... It is borderline pathetic...

Last edited by thedak; 12-05-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu
Actually the modular motors are over-head cam; the 5.0L was the OHV pushrod motor.

The whole N/A vs. blown-from-the-factory argument is so funny. I mean it’s like someone saying the Cobalt SS/SC needs a supercharger to beat the new Civic Si.

oh so true...comments like that are just dumb...look at the difference in technology chevy and ford use. the gt500 motor makes 500 horses with fairly low boost on a 5.4L 8...the z06 makes that same power with a MUCH larger 7.0L v8 that costs alot more to build than the 5.4 itself. they both make great power. They both work VERY well...why does it matter how they do it? you don't think ford could make 500 horses with a 7.0L? the 5.0L hurricane cammer planned to go into the boss 302 makes 450hp N/A. same goes with chevy...if anyone doesn't beleive chevy could make a blower, much smaller v8 making 500 horses they are totally wrong. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, whatever...they all know exactly what they are doing, they all know how to make massive numbers reliabily, they just go about it different ways. its style.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM

Nice ride. Looks sweet, clean as hell
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Who cares how a car gets it's power be it a Turbo or Supercharger, I leave nitrous out because I see it as a band-aid fix when it comes to power. A Supercharger or Turbo doesn't run out mid race or need to be refilled.

When it comes to Mustangs vs GM they are just plain out gunned. The Mustang has been dominated by the F-Body since 1998 and by a large margin. The 2003-2004 Cobra evened things up and the LS1 was no longer top dog. The fastest stock Cobra 1/4 was 12.69 and the fastest F-Body 1/4 was 12.89 which equals a drivers race on the street.

The new S197 GT is a joke and still hasn't caught a 1998-2002 F-Body. And for the 2007 GT500 all I have to say is what a joke. If I was a Ford junkie I wouls have demanded more than 2004 Cobra performance especially for $43,000.

People all over the net have been adding boost to them and even doing full S/C swaps and acting like 10's is gift from God. Am I the only one that remembers the 400,000 2003-2004 Cobras doing the same thing?

first of all the terminators have run 12.5's stock and will beat an ls1 no problem if both drivers are competent. the terminator is without a doubt the faster car and i can't beleive you are even attempting to deny that. the gt500 does make more than terminator performance...not by much in straight line, but by alot in the twisties, and it responds insanely well to mods as did the terminator. you can drop 1500 bucks into a terminator and make it run low to sub 11's and same goes for the gt500...do that with a single f-body...you can't do it. If you were a ford junkie you would demand more performance for 43 grand? look at the c6! almost exact same straight line performance, a little less on a road course, but it has a back seat, has FAR more interior space, is much more rare and exciting, and will respond FAR better to mods. i don't see that as a bad deal at all...look for the evolution performance gt500. it is running 9's and trapping close to 142 with just a smaller pulley, exhaust work, intake, tune, some suspension work and some slicks...so this thing can whoop on a linginfelter vette, has only a few grand in mods, and is in 100% street trim...wow you are totally right, what a horrible car. who would pay 43k for something like that?

saying the gt is a joke is rediculous because you need to count price into the equation...nothing like it can match it in price or even get close. one can be picked up for 26k easily, 25 with some haggling... people are still paying 20 grand for ls1's with low milage. i think you guys need to stop talking **** until the new camaro is released and get over the fact that in the pony car wars, the mustang won whether it is because it is of better quality(not saying it is), because it was priced better, looked better, whatever, it won, get over it.

i love camaros and mustangs, and pretty much any pony car or muscle car, but some of the things being said in this thread are just idiotic.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:48 PM

Got to love the goat for its horsepower and price but I have to agree I have been up against a 6.0 goat and I kept right next to it. Don't get me wrong I agree with what everyone has said about the goat being much faster if it was modified but thats just an obvious statement that you can take any v8 and get more power out of it than a 4. In the end its all about horsepower to weight ratio and things like rolling starts or stopped starts (traction).

Some day when I can afford it I will have my v8 toy. Nothing better than the sound of a v8.

Cheers to all for the need for speed!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM

just a smaller pulley, exhaust work, intake, tune, some suspension work and some slicks...

JUST...

so this thing can whoop on a linginfelter vette
I don't think so...the lingenfelter can damn near smoke the tires at the GT500's trap speed
Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Just got my monthly MT in yesterday…Apparently Ford is going to release a new Bullitt Mustang and BOSS “Hurricane” 302 featuring the 5.0l “cammer” mod motor. Cool part is the the Mustang GT will get the 5.0l w/ 430 horsepower in 2008 as the standard motor and all the exterior body panels will be upgraded to look more aggressive. The GT500 is also supposed to get a power increase and even more aggressive exterior cues. In 2010 the Mustang will be totally redesigned.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
first of all the terminators have run 12.5's stock and will beat an ls1 no problem if both drivers are competent. the terminator is without a doubt the faster car and i can't beleive you are even attempting to deny that. the gt500 does make more than terminator performance...not by much in straight line, but by alot in the twisties, and it responds insanely well to mods as did the terminator. you can drop 1500 bucks into a terminator and make it run low to sub 11's and same goes for the gt500...do that with a single f-body...you can't do it. If you were a ford junkie you would demand more performance for 43 grand? look at the c6! almost exact same straight line performance, a little less on a road course, but it has a back seat, has FAR more interior space, is much more rare and exciting, and will respond FAR better to mods. i don't see that as a bad deal at all...look for the evolution performance gt500. it is running 9's and trapping close to 142 with just a smaller pulley, exhaust work, intake, tune, some suspension work and some slicks...so this thing can whoop on a linginfelter vette, has only a few grand in mods, and is in 100% street trim...wow you are totally right, what a horrible car. who would pay 43k for something like that?

saying the gt is a joke is rediculous because you need to count price into the equation...nothing like it can match it in price or even get close. one can be picked up for 26k easily, 25 with some haggling... people are still paying 20 grand for ls1's with low milage. i think you guys need to stop talking **** until the new camaro is released and get over the fact that in the pony car wars, the mustang won whether it is because it is of better quality(not saying it is), because it was priced better, looked better, whatever, it won, get over it.

i love camaros and mustangs, and pretty much any pony car or muscle car, but some of the things being said in this thread are just idiotic.

Are you serious?

First off lets call the 03/04 Cobra just that it isn't no terminator. Add a cam and heads to a LS1 and good bye Cobra.

And yes the S197 is a joke no matter the cost, you make it seem like $27,000 for a high 13 second car is a steal and it isn't. Not to mention most dealers add every little option they can to a Deluxe (not premium) model GT and by then it's around $29,000. I bought my 2002 Camaro SS with 12,000 miles on it for $18,000. **** with the red tag sale a new GTO can be had for $27,000 can you say bye,bye GT sales.

As for the GT500 it isn't in the same league better yet game as a Z06 or Lingenfelter. I love all of the add this add that crap to beat a stock whatever. You bring up a C6 which is funny because it's right on par with a GT500 and out handles it.

Your post was the only idiotic statement in this thread...................
Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Mustang GT will get the 5.0l w/ 430 horsepower in 2008 as the standard motor and all the exterior body panels will be upgraded to look more aggressive
Should be a viscious Gt
Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM

Are you serious?

First off lets call the 03/04 Cobra just that it isn't no terminator. Add a cam and heads to a LS1 and good bye Cobra.

And yes the S197 is a joke no matter the cost, you make it seem like $27,000 for a high 13 second car is a steal and it isn't. Not to mention most dealers add every little option they can to a Deluxe (not premium) model GT and by then it's around $29,000. I bought my 2002 Camaro SS with 12,000 miles on it for $18,000. **** with the red tag sale a new GTO can be had for $27,000 can you say bye,bye GT sales.

As for the GT500 it isn't in the same league better yet game as a Z06 or Lingenfelter. I love all of the add this add that crap to beat a stock whatever. You bring up a C6 which is funny because it's right on par with a GT500 and out handles it.

did you even read my post? i DID bring up a c6, and everythin i said was true. the gt500 is right in the same price range, runs pretty close road course times, runs almost the same straight line performance numbers, has more room inside, is much more ergonomical, has rear seats etc...it is a totally different car, and for the price, you get more than you get with a c6 really...sure there are a few sacrifices like lesser handling and lesser braking, but saying the gt500 is a joke is just rediculous. You just compared a gto on sale totally base to an almost fully loaded gt at sticker price...most people get the gt for 25k, and it is a brand new car, yet you got your camaro used for 18k. that isn't a bad deal by any means, but you are comparing prices of a brand new car to a 4 year old, used car. bye bye gt sales? is that a joke? the gto will never outsell any mustang...ever. that is a garuntee. every point here is arguable, but calling the gt500 a joke, is probably the dumbest statement i've ever heard. performs close to the c6, with more room, comforts, and uniqueness for the same price (without dealer markup which IS rediculous right now, i admit that) how is that a joke?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
JUST...

I don't think so...the lingenfelter can damn near smoke the tires at the GT500's trap speed

yes that is JUST. go ahead and think of how much money you would need to put a street trim c6 into the 9's. A SHITLOAD MORE.

that gt500 can and will whoop on the c6 linginfelter in the quarter, mostly BECAUSE the linginfelter can barely put its power to the ground. that thing runs 10's at best because it is just too much power for that setup to handle, and they blew their rear end when slicks were put on it....plus it costs close to 200 grand....again gt500= not a joke at all. The joke here is that you guys are arguing this **** point about the camaro ss being so much better than an s197 gt... ok, well i could go buy an lx fox body for a TON less than an ls1 camaro, and mod it to be much, much faster, but that in no way makes it a better car. chevy fan boys = idiots. ford fan boys = idiots. honda fan boys = idiots. i am arguing this, not because i am a ford owner, but because none of you seem to realize that one car isn't SO MUCH BETTER than anything else, and none of the cars discussed in this thread are a joke in any way. if you look at some of my other posts, i argue this topic for many cars because i respect well engineered CARS, not just camaros or mustangs.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM

yes that is JUST. go ahead and think of how much money you would need to put a street trim c6 into the 9's. A SHITLOAD MORE.
No it wouldn't...three letters.... N O S

Once it's modded...it's no longer stock...besides a good cam package from say T-Rex..with slicks will put you VERY close to those numbers in the same price range...I guess it all goes back to the supercharger being an issue...it is MUCH easier just to add a pulley and get horsepower on a SC car than to add horse to a NA car.But I agree, I am not saying the GT500 isn't a Amazing car...I think you would need to be retarded to think that. I really like them personally and I think they are Sickly fast...especially for a four seater.

that gt500 can and will whoop on the c6 linginfelter in the quarter, mostly BECAUSE the linginfelter can barely put its power to the ground. that thing runs 10's at best because it is just too much power for that setup to handle, and they blew their rear end when slicks were put on it....plus it costs close to 200 grand....again gt500= not a joke at all. The joke here is that you guys are arguing this **** point about the camaro ss being so much better than an s197 gt... ok, well i could go buy an lx fox body for a TON less than an ls1 camaro, and mod it to be much, much faster, but that in no way makes it a better car. chevy fan boys = idiots. ford fan boys = idiots. honda fan boys = idiots. i am arguing this, not because i am a ford owner, but because none of you seem to realize that one car isn't SO MUCH BETTER than anything else, and none of the cars discussed in this thread are a joke in any way. if you look at some of my other posts, i argue this topic for many cars because i respect well engineered CARS, not just camaros or mustangs.
I know..I know...we just discussed this and I agree with you 100%.

I am not a huge fan of saleens unless they are the top model but thats just my opinion. I do like them though.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM

the gto will never outsell any mustang...ever. that is a garuntee.

For obvious reasons however. The GTO does not and NEVER will cater to an age group ranging from 16 - 75.

The GTO is one model....not a bunch to cater to just about everyone. The GTO caters to a small bunch of car enthusiasts who really know the car and a few who just want the power for the price. The Mustang caters to anyone from the 16 year old who thinks it's "cool" because everyone else has one to the soccer mom who's going through a mid life crisis
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt443
For obvious reasons however. The GTO does not and NEVER will cater to an age group ranging from 16 - 75.

The GTO is one model....not a bunch to cater to just about everyone. The GTO caters to a small bunch of car enthusiasts who really know the car and a few who just want the power for the price. The Mustang caters to anyone from the 16 year old who thinks it's "cool" because everyone else has one to the soccer mom who's going through a mid life crisis
that'totally true, but the fact still stands that the gto isn't going to put a dent in mustang sales.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Are you serious?

new gto msrp= 33,290
new mustang gt msrp= 26,370

don't bring sales into it. the gto IS the faster car no doubt, but come on...6 grand. totally different calss at that point imo. that is like comparing a wrx to an sti...
Old 12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

I call the GT500 a joke because the lsat year was spent making it sound like a Corvette killing Mad Max looking car.

Then it comes out and all it looks like is a GT with a bunch of **** slapped on it.

And performs no better than the 4.6 2003/2004 Cobra that stickered at $32,000.

But then again if the Camaro comes out with the LS2 in it and costs $33,000 I would call it a joke also.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM

did you even read my post? i DID bring up a c6, and everythin i said was true. the gt500 is right in the same price range, runs pretty close road course times, runs almost the same straight line performance numbers, has more room inside, is much more ergonomical, has rear seats etc...it is a totally different car, and for the price, you get more than you get with a c6 really...sure there are a few sacrifices like lesser handling and lesser braking, but saying the gt500 is a joke is just rediculous. You just compared a gto on sale totally base to an almost fully loaded gt at sticker price...most people get the gt for 25k, and it is a brand new car, yet you got your camaro used for 18k. that isn't a bad deal by any means, but you are comparing prices of a brand new car to a 4 year old, used car. bye bye gt sales? is that a joke? the gto will never outsell any mustang...ever. that is a garuntee. every point here is arguable, but calling the gt500 a joke, is probably the dumbest statement i've ever heard. performs close to the c6, with more room, comforts, and uniqueness for the same price (without dealer markup which IS rediculous right now, i admit that) how is that a joke?

I don't think you get more from the gt500 as opposed to the c6. They are just different cars for different ppl. If you had kids and could only have one car then you would have to go with the gt500 but if your like me (young and single) then vette is the way to go. You don't need back seats. The vette has a bigger trunk. The front seat space is identical. The vette has better brakes, better handling and gets better city and highway gas mileage. Don't get me wrong I like the mustang but i don't think it's superior to the vette or worse for that matter. I think the reason people call the car a joke is because it does not perform as well as some of the other 500hp+ cars out there. It's not a joke though, no car with 440rwhp is a joke.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:49 PM

I call the GT500 a joke because the lsat year was spent making it sound like a Corvette killing Mad Max looking car.

Then it comes out and all it looks like is a GT with a bunch of **** slapped on it.

And performs no better than the 4.6 2003/2004 Cobra that stickered at $32,000.

But then again if the Camaro comes out with the LS2 in it and costs $33,000 I would call it a joke also.

http://www.westsidemustangs.com/foru...ck%20GT500.jpg

i think that looks VERY bad ass, but you are obviously entitled to your opinion. and for what you get, why is the c6 not a joke, like i said before? very close accleration performance, not handling, but no mustang has ever been made for handling and for what the gt500 is, it handles very well. the c6 is a great sports car, but you can't take it out to dinner with friends, or to the grocery store for groceries and such. the gt500 is more of a muscle car while the c6 is more of a sports car. i think if they were actually sold anywhere near sticker price they would be a good bargain.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mezzanno
I don't think you get more from the gt500 as opposed to the c6. They are just different cars for different ppl. If you had kids and could only have one car then you would have to go with the gt500 but if your like me (young and single) then vette is the way to go. You don't need back seats. The vette has a bigger trunk. The front seat space is identical. The vette has better brakes, better handling and gets better city and highway gas mileage. Don't get me wrong I like the mustang but i don't think it's superior to the vette or worse for that matter. I think the reason people call the car a joke is because it does not perform as well as some of the other 500hp+ cars out there. It's not a joke though, no car with 440rwhp is a joke.
that's exactly what im trying to say. and some of the people say oh it has 500 horses it should be faster. why the hell does it matter how many horses it has. the car is fast for the price, supposedly gets 18 mpg, had 4 seats, is very unique, looks amazing imo, and is pretty damn comfortable compared to some cars in its class. just because it has 500 horses doesn't mean it has to run low 12's... someone that owns a lotus could say, haha you have 300 horses and only run 13's or someone with an sti running 300 horses hitting high twelves could say, wow that new gto makes 400 horses and runs about the same times i do, thats pretty sad. <<<none of those are true at all, they are just totally different types of cars, but of course because the gt500 is a ford, half of you hate on it relentlessly, refusing to look at it as anything other than a corvette that doesn't handle as well or brake as well...it has things better than the vette while the vette has things better than the gt500. stop hating one anything non chevy, that is what starts the stupid ass import vs domestic battles....grow up.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

The only reason I hate on the GT500 is due to magazine and internet hype.

In stock form it is pretty much an even match for a 2003/2004 Cobra.

Then a few people and speed shops add a different pulley and tune and see 11's. Then they do a supercharger swap and see 10's and then climb to the highest mountain top and sing.

All of them acting as if the same things weren't done to a 2003/2004 Cobra with the same results.

I mean come on people is it really hard to figure out that adding boost will make a F/I car faster?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 AM

The only reason I hate on the GT500 is due to magazine and internet hype.

In stock form it is pretty much an even match for a 2003/2004 Cobra.

Then a few people and speed shops add a different pulley and tune and see 11's. Then they do a supercharger swap and see 10's and then climb to the highest mountain top and sing.

All of them acting as if the same things weren't done to a 2003/2004 Cobra with the same results.

I mean come on people is it really hard to figure out that adding boost will make a F/I car faster?

that is obvious, but what they marvel at is the fact they can make an extra 100rwhp for like 500 bucks. and you hardly need a blower swap to run tens...just check out the evolution performance gt500. fastest gt500 in the country that is still in street trim. runs nines with stock blower. It was running mid 10's with the back seat and all with just a tune, an x-pipe, a smaller pulley and an intake. so 10's for say 1k in aftermarket parts. at that point they were still driving that car on the street every day. no, the gt500 isn't better than the c6 or visa versa. they are totally different and neither one is a joke in any way. if you don't think running mid tens in a daily driven brand new car with 4 seats for a grand total of just under 50k isn't fast...you are just wrong.

the car was definately too hyped up for sure, but it is still an amazing car for the money.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 PM

that'totally true, but the fact still stands that the gto isn't going to put a dent in mustang sales.

yes, that's what I was saying....but for obvious reasons. I think less GTO's were made total than the number of mustangs shipped to delaer floors in NJ alone.

You pretty much can't sell what isn't there right?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM

More GTO for me!

Quick Reply: Gto