War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

gto ls1

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was but couldnt stand it any longer
Old 12-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Ya its hard to stay stock in these things. I put down 374 hp and 365 tq two weekends ago and now im looking for a set of heads to put me over the 400 hp mark
Old 12-24-2007, 06:45 PM

they make 32v heads have you seen them?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:49 PM

I have never seen them.... I was thinking a set of 243's ported or a set of 5.3's to up the compression and flow a little better. You have a link to the heads you were talking about?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:58 PM

http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevysmb.htm
Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 AM

It has always been my opinion that the GTO stock is a slow car, regardless of a LS1 or LS2, they both lack topend pull however my judgement is scewed for 2 reasons, I am at a high altitude which kills the power of any NA car and then I have the prospective of the topend pull of my SRT which has some very very mean topend power.

If the GTO was the only car I had ever owned, it would probably seem faster to me as a result of not have driven anything else with power to compare it to.

My GTO stock was running low 14's and a few high 13's trapping 100mph, my 2006 Cobalt stock was running low 15's and a few high 14's trapping 93 - 95mph, typical DA was above 7000ft...

high altitude also hurts the Cobalt SS/SC.

As the DA gets lower, the GTO benefits more the the Cobalt, making more HP.

Some of the Cobalts out there that are trapping 108 or better, that is starting to get it done and not to shabby, they wouldn't trap that high up here, but still not bad for a street car none the less.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomBlack04
they make 32v heads have you seen them?
They're only 8K dollars

Originally Posted by OneSlowGto
I have never seen them.... I was thinking a set of 243's ported or a set of 5.3's to up the compression and flow a little better. You have a link to the heads you were talking about?
PRC 5.3L's. You'll be in heaven

Last edited by Onyxd04Redline; 12-25-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LittleMT
It has always been my opinion that the GTO stock is a slow car, regardless of a LS1 or LS2, they both lack topend pull however my judgement is scewed for 2 reasons, I am at a high altitude which kills the power of any NA car and then I have the prospective of the topend pull of my SRT which has some very very mean topend power.

If the GTO was the only car I had ever owned, it would probably seem faster to me as a result of not have driven anything else with power to compare it to.

My GTO stock was running low 14's and a few high 13's trapping 100mph, my 2006 Cobalt stock was running low 15's and a few high 14's trapping 93 - 95mph, typical DA was above 7000ft...

high altitude also hurts the Cobalt SS/SC.

As the DA gets lower, the GTO benefits more the the Cobalt, making more HP.

Some of the Cobalts out there that are trapping 108 or better, that is starting to get it done and not to shabby, they wouldn't trap that high up here, but still not bad for a street car none the less.
BLASPHEMY! ITS NOT TRUE!!!

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
They're only 8K dollars
yea seriously if i'm about to spend that much cash, i'll just get an ls1 goat, rip out and sell the ls1, and drop in one of these bad boys-

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...93-P16C54.aspx

i have no idea if that would even fit though...lol

Last edited by cakeeater; 12-25-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

Little MT I will kinda agree with the no top end pull thing with the LS2 GTO. The LS1's I had felt like they could spin to 8000rpm but my LS2 kinda lost power around 6000rpm.

Weird thing is that my Vette pulls all the way to redline. The Vette LS2 isn't to much different than the GTO LS2 so I assume the different exhaust helps or there is a different tune on the Vette.

As for stock numbers I ran a 13.09 @ 110 with a 2.07 60ft when my GTO was 100% stock and had under 4000miles on the clock.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:37 PM

the weight of the GTO probably doesn't help much.

Your stock GTO would trap 103 - 104 up here which is ok, but hardly fast.

I had my GTO in Arizona a few weeks back getting Pedderized at Anthem, and boy did she make some good power down there, for the 1st time the car got sideways in its 1st to 2nd gear auto shift, at partial throttle... it never did that stock and up high.

At Anthem the car got a 1inch front drop and a 5/16 drag spring raised rear:

Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z85w/t
A LS2 GTO will wax your car so how is it slow?
read the thread, it says LS1 GTO (SLOW), where did you get LS2? The new GTO does nothing for me. Ugly interior with a vette motor. Whoopie. You took a grand prix with a body kit and put a detuned vette motor into it. Wow, you know let me take a 300C and put a HEMI(again cannot replicate an original) in it with a different grill and a Dodge emblem with two extra doors and call it a charger. ::eyeroll:: yep, nothing like killing a legend.

You cannot ever replicate a legend. Sorry.

That's my opinon, not yours so don't get butt hurt. Just like my "Cobalt" is a Cavailer or some other thing you will tell me as a comeback.

BTW, the LS2 is fast, it's just in the wrong car..
Old 12-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky
read the thread, it says LS1 GTO (SLOW), where did you get LS2? The new GTO does nothing for me. Ugly interior with a vette motor. Whoopie. You took a grand prix with a body kit and put a detuned vette motor into it. Wow, you know let me take a 300C and put a HEMI(again cannot replicate an original) in it with a different grill and a Dodge emblem with two extra doors and call it a charger. ::eyeroll:: yep, nothing like killing a legend.

You cannot ever replicate a legend. Sorry.

That's my opinon, not yours so don't get butt hurt. Just like my "Cobalt" is a Cavailer or some other thing you will tell me as a comeback.

BTW, the LS2 is fast, it's just in the wrong car..

A) The LS2 isn't detuned for the GTO they are both 400HP/400FtLbs

B) The LS1 GTO isn't slow 13.5 is faster than 95% of the cars here.

C) The interior in the GTO was better than any other GM

D) When you drive a cobalt why bring up the Grand Prix **** look at your car?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Banned

A) The LS2 isn't detuned for the GTO they are both 400HP/400FtLbs

B) The LS1 GTO isn't slow 13.5 is faster than 95% of the cars here.

C) The interior in the GTO was better than any other GM

D) When you drive a cobalt why bring up the Grand Prix **** look at your car?

A) They won't make the GTO as powerful as the vette

B) Who cares? We are comparing apples to oranges, anything can be fast with $$. My car cost me $20k not $34 and with $2k in mods it beats that $34k which still looks better and gets better gas mileage. Topic for another post.

C) I can think of 3 better interiors then the GTO made by GM

D) Last time I checked my car was a 2 door and doesn't resemble the look, feel of another car. It's completely different. When I look at the front end of a Grand Prix and the "GTO" I think wow, such unique cars (roll in sarcasim).

Grand Prix

GTO

Last time I checked these didn't even look the same.

Just because a car has 4 extra cylinders doesn't automatically make it fast. This isn't a competition like the v8 boys make it out to be. Sorry to get you butt hurt about a 4 cylinder making equal top end as your land yacht
Old 12-26-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little MT I will kinda agree with the no top end pull thing with the LS2 GTO. The LS1's I had felt like they could spin to 8000rpm but my LS2 kinda lost power around 6000rpm.

Weird thing is that my Vette pulls all the way to redline. The Vette LS2 isn't to much different than the GTO LS2 so I assume the different exhaust helps or there is a different tune on the Vette.

As for stock numbers I ran a 13.09 @ 110 with a 2.07 60ft when my GTO was 100% stock and had under 4000miles on the clock.
and my car with $2,000 into went 13.2 and you still have an extra 100 hp..

LS2 stock has what.. 400hp...

my balt with $2k has 315ish.. and you only trapped .2 better... and in the end.. still paid less than you did with the Gto and were going just as fast as you
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

A) They won't make the GTO as powerful as the vette

B) Who cares? We are comparing apples to oranges, anything can be fast with $$. My car cost me $20k not $34 and with $2k in mods it beats that $34k which still looks better and gets better gas mileage. Topic for another post.

C) I can think of 3 better interiors then the GTO made by GM

D) Last time I checked my car was a 2 door and doesn't resemble the look, feel of another car. It's completely different. When I look at the front end of a Grand Prix and the "GTO" I think wow, such unique cars (roll in sarcasim).

Grand Prix

GTO

Last time I checked these didn't even look the same.

Just because a car has 4 extra cylinders doesn't automatically make it fast. This isn't a competition like the v8 boys make it out to be. Sorry to get you butt hurt about a 4 cylinder making equal top end as your land yacht

The word stupid isn't even enough to describe you.

A) The LS2 in the Vette and GTO both put out 400/400 thats a fact look it up ace.

B) Your car is so unique yet I see 20 4 door versions a day that look identical.

C) Name the interriors that were better than the GTO and don't say Vette.

D) Did the 1982 Camaro look like the 1967, Retro sucks ***** it's 2007.

E) $2,000 in your car still leaves you with a econobox thats worthless.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

The word stupid isn't even enough to describe you.

A) The LS2 in the Vette and GTO both put out 400/400 thats a fact look it up ace.

B) Your car is so unique yet I see 20 4 door versions a day that look identical.

C) Name the interriors that were better than the GTO and don't say Vette.

D) Did the 1982 Camaro look like the 1967, Retro sucks ***** it's 2007.

E) $2,000 in your car still leaves you with a econobox thats worthless.

1.) Same motor (differently tune from the factory). duh, I know it's the same motor.

2.) ??? OK, I don't drive a 4 door. I drive a two door. What's your point.

3.) Saturn Aura has a nicer interior if we are talking about typical interiors, My SS, Buick Enclave, G8 GT, Buick Grand National, 1955 Chevy Bel airs. These are all GM's. No age limit. No limit on models for cars. GTO was trying to be a mock up of the ford Mustang Cobra interior. The OLD GTO has a nicer interior than this new one does.

4.) Unlike the GTO, The Camaro has had several generations of builds so of course it's going to change in time but Pontiac came back with a throw back car and instead of building it's looks it built the power train and lacked on the looks.

5). My Econobox is composed of the same materials and build quality as the GTO from the factory when it comes to interior materials (same plastic dash and plastic parts), keep telling yourself its different. The only reason it's more expensive is RWD, tranmission, and motor.

BTW, the last time I checked, the GTO has horrible resale value, a car with only 16k miles is selling for only $16k when it retails for $34k.

I didn't buy the car for resale, I bought it for cheap power. My Cobalt is still worth more than half of what I paid for it last time I checked. If you bought a v8 to make up for something you lack you went to the right place!

btw, Cody why do you continue to support the mighty LSx motor. Are you a nut hugger? Also, nice new name. I'm sure a moderator will find you and ban you again.

I'm sure a moderator will find you and ban you again.
zing!

Last edited by 3fo893013L; 12-26-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 AM

1.) Same motor (differently tune from the factory). duh, I know it's the same motor.

2.) ??? OK, I don't drive a 4 door. I drive a two door. What's your point.

3.) Saturn Aura has a nicer interior if we are talking about typical interiors, My SS, Buick Enclave, G8 GT, Buick Grand National, 1955 Chevy Bel airs. These are all GM's. No age limit. No limit on models for cars. GTO was trying to be a mock up of the ford Mustang Cobra interior. The OLD GTO has a nicer interior than this new one does.

4.) Unlike the GTO, The Camaro has had several generations of builds so of course it's going to change in time but Pontiac came back with a throw back car and instead of building it's looks it built the power train and lacked on the looks.

5). My Econobox is composed of the same materials and build quality as the GTO from the factory when it comes to interior materials (same plastic dash and plastic parts), keep telling yourself its different. The only reason it's more expensive is RWD, tranmission, and motor.

BTW, the last time I checked, the GTO has horrible resale value, a car with only 16k miles is selling for only $16k when it retails for $34k.

I didn't buy the car for resale, I bought it for cheap power. My Cobalt is still worth more than half of what I paid for it last time I checked. If you bought a v8 to make up for something you lack you went to the right place!

btw, Cody why do you continue to support the mighty LSx motor. Are you a nut hugger? Also, nice new name. I'm sure a moderator will find you and ban you again.

zing!
2) I believe Cody is trying to say that when we're cruising around we don't see a GTO around every corner......there is no multiple models for the GTO. They don't make the GTO to appeal to everyone from 16 year old girls to 68 year old men. Last I checked, I couldn't go to the local rent-a-car place and get in a goat either

3) I truly hope you are joking when you say your SS has a nice interior. Ther only nice interior part in the SS are the recaro seats and gee, GM didn't even make them......everyday someone on here is complaining about paint peeling or plastic components falling off.....unless you got some freak, you truly are the minority.

4) I'm sorry, but GTO's were previously made from 1964 - 1974......and in those 10 years, there were different body designs, so posting a picture of one you like best and saying that it's stupid the new one doesn't look like the one you like, is a moot argument. Here's some of the different "generations" as you'd like to call them:

Also, if you knew the history of the GTO....the very first was just a Tempest with a huge motor. The Tempest was one of the blandest cars out there.....but accomplished exactly what the new one has accomplished today.

5) Again, I'm sorry, but have to EVER even been inside one? If my GTO was comprised of the same crap my cobalt has in the interior, I would have never spent the money on the car. Last I checked, my cobalt's dash isn't wrapped in leather and my doors aren't covered in suede accents. Actually last I checked my cobalt, I sent it back to the dealership for the EIGHTH time to have them once again raplace the trim pieces because of peeling paint and cloth falling off the doors

I'm not trying to come off as a C*nt, but you truly do seem pretty misinformed or grabbing for straws when it comes to trying to defend yourself. You say the GTO has very bad resale value but in the same sentence go on to say how you don't care about resale value.....

Everyone has their own opinion, the cobalt was built to be a CHEAP ECONOMY car and comparing it to anything remotely close to a GTO is just silly.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

I'm not misinformed I'm just tired of the stupid bickering. Honestly we all bought our cars for different reasons. No reason to slander others for there choice of cars. Honestly, the GTO is the most uninspring cars to date and the LS2 is so overplayed it's in pratically in every car GM comes out with that needs a powerful platform to push a land yacht down the road. The interior is not any different than most cars and the bang for buck dollar for dollar doesn't put the GTO in any respectable class. That's not what makes GM unique, it's what make LSx nut huggers think it's the best motor platform on the planet when honestly it's subpar motor to the lastest motor technology to date.

please put it to rest. It's a car, not a super human. It doesn't possess any reasonable power to man besides to make someone think they drive a corvette. I've sat and rode in many GTO's. I'm not impressed and if someone who hoenstly thinks this is a true sports car is sadly mistaken, just a fill in car until something better comes along. There is a reason they stopped selling the GTO, it sucks. Enough said. It was truely an amazing car it would still be on market.

If I want a real car it won't even be an American car. And nothing I can afford either.

I bought my car for cheap power and I am happy with it. I don't make apples to oranges comparisons. I don't think my car is any faster than most cars on the road. I don't market it to be that way. If your pride is crushed because a GTO can lose to other vehicles you bought the car for the wrong reasons. I can think of many cars that will wax the floor with a GTO that cost less and offer better peformance overall then a GTO. But thats for another day for someone to prove me wrong again.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM

I'm not misinformed I'm just tired of the stupid bickering. Honestly we all bought our cars for different reasons. No reason to slander others for there choice of cars. Honestly, the GTO is the most uninspring cars to date and the LS2 is so overplayed it's in pratically in every car GM comes out with that needs a powerful platform to push a land yacht down the road. The interior is not any different than most cars and the bang for buck dollar for dollar doesn't put the GTO in any respectable class. That's not what makes GM unique, it's what make LSx nut huggers think it's the best motor platform on the planet when honestly it's subpar motor to the lastest motor technology to date.

please put it to rest. It's a car, not a super human. It doesn't possess any reasonable power to man besides to make someone think they drive a corvette. I've sat and rode in many GTO's. I'm not impressed and if someone who hoenstly thinks this is a true sports car is sadly mistaken, just a fill in car until something better comes along. There is a reason they stopped selling the GTO, it sucks. Enough said. It was truely an amazing car it would still be on market.
I think someone is butthurt
Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

I think someone is butthurt
nah, I'm not butt hurt. I could care less about someone elses opinon. It's a car. It has no emotion. The emoition is only behind the one who drives the car. People get so offended easily when this car beats the GTO or that car beats it that they have this thing in there head that says "WAIT! NOTHING BEATS THE GTO, IT'S GOD!".

I'm just butt hurt becasue the LSx was built by the hand of God and I keep forgetting that. it's funny to see all the trolls roll in and back up a car when they are the ones that shouldn't be butt hurt because another car beat it so they have to make excuses everytime one loses. That is what I call denial of truth.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM

nah, I'm not butt hurt. I could care less about someone elses opinon. It's a car. It has no emotion. The emoition is only behind the one who drives the car. People get so offended easily when this car beats the GTO or that car beats it that they have this thing in there head that says "WAIT! NOTHING BEATS THE GTO, IT'S GOD!".

I'm just butt hurt becasue the LSx was built by the hand of God and I keep forgetting that. it's funny to see all the trolls roll in and back up a car when they are the ones that shouldn't be butt hurt because another car beat it so they have to make excuses everytime one loses. That is what I call denial of truth.
I find it funny when stage 2 cobalts say they are beating vette's, cobra's, ls2 gto's .... Cobalt owners need to realize they don't drive a Honda so they need to stop acting like they do

I find it funny when stage 2 cobalts say they are beating vette's, cobra's, ls2 gto's .... Cobalt owners need to realize they don't drive a Honda so they need to stop acting like they do
One day they might be as fast as a honda though if they put a turbonator in a e-ram supercharger and junk that eaton piece of ****.

Last edited by OneSlowGto; 12-26-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

One day they might be as fast as a honda though if they put a turbonator in a e-ram supercharger and junk that eaton piece of ****.
I never made a claim I beat any of those kind of car I've raced a few and I know my cars limits and the top end on my car sucks so I have no denial there. I do know what you mean though, it's funny when someone bolts on an intake for example and lost to a car in the past by 3 car lengths and all the sudden with the intake it wins by a car. Amazing what $100 can do

my car at best is a high 13 maybe mid 13 second car if I could ever get traction.... but again I don't market my car as that. For now I know it's a flat 14 contender.

Last edited by 3fo893013L; 12-26-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 AM

I have winter tires on my car so I would say its a high 13 second car haha... With summer tires around 12.2-12.6 i would guess.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 PM

If I want a real car it won't even be an American car. And nothing I can afford either.

I bought my car for cheap power and I am happy with it. I don't make apples to oranges comparisons. I don't think my car is any faster than most cars on the road. I don't market it to be that way. If your pride is crushed because a GTO can lose to other vehicles you bought the car for the wrong reasons. I can think of many cars that will wax the floor with a GTO that cost less and offer better peformance overall then a GTO. But thats for another day for someone to prove me wrong again.

If it was truly an amazing car and sold out ALL of them within the first two weeks, no, it actually wouldn't still be on the market.
The GTO was known from the beginning that it was only going to be a three year run, that's it, nothing more, nothing less.

LS2 being "overplayed"....can you please tell me how many cars/trucks it's in.....I can count on one hand......less actually.

I'm not trying to nuthug my GTO, because if I had to do it all over again I would and I could care less what people think, but what people think they know really bothers me.

And yes whoever thinks it's a sports car is in fact an idiot, it's a muschle car....that's it.
So please, just stop now before you spew out some more information you think you know
Old 12-26-2007, 12:11 PM

Doesnt the new tb ss have the ls2? Man I would love to have that truck... Specially in awd

Quick Reply: gto ls1