War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

I beat a WS6 Lastnight!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beat a WS6 Lastnight!

Well lastnight i chased this trans am w6s down. It was the 98 or higher ls1. I was behind him, and when we came to the first straight, i geared down and passed him. Well he didnt pass him back, so i started reving up on him and messing with the guy. Well when we came to the next long straight, and he gears down and switches lanes to pass me. Well i gear down into 3rd when he gets beside me. He passes me and switched lanes back in front of me. We hit 4th gear, and i start pulling on him! I got as close to him as possible and i switch lanes to pass him back. I get about 3/4 a car on him, and my car starts miss firing in 4th gear at 5500rpms! I was so pissed! The guys pulls over after the race, and says, "damn what does that thing got in it!, i told what i had done, and we both had just intake and exhaust. He asked me if i had a governer on my car. He said that when i was about to pass him back, that he could see my headlight bobbing up and down like i was hitting a governer or the rev limiter. i told him about the miss firing. I am going to get mgk sparkplugs today!

Oh yeah, he asked if it was a 6cly, and i told him it was a 4 banger, and he said,"i cant believe i got beat by a 4 banger" LOL.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 PM

NICE!! I love those cars but i'm rapidly finding that my SS/SC will hang or beat many of those 8cyls. Tuesday afternoon I get my Intake, Header, Cat-Back and Eibach's on. I will start my hunting then lol
Old 01-28-2006, 01:33 PM

I guess a win is a win but i can't believe you beat a WS6. He must not have been able to drive or his car was broken or something.

WS6's run mid 13's Right? and something like a 5 sec 0-60?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:37 PM

No we raced from a kick, so driving wasnt really the issue. I also raced my buddy in his 04 GTO(LS1)lastnight too. We raced from a dead stop, and he only beat me by 2 cars. Thats with a crappy lanch bey me too.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:57 PM

nice kill man... i like the ws6's... i may have a race lined up with a z28 within the next couple weeks... and possibly a race with an srt-4... im bone stock so we'll see what happens....
Old 01-28-2006, 02:07 PM

With no disrespect to you or the Cobalt SS at all , I own one afterall .....I have also owed the said Trans Am at one point and have driven COUNTELESS other LS1 powered cars . That TA musta had issues , because even a dead stock LS1 car pulls so much stronger than a Cobalt SS , its not even comparable . Hell , they trap on average 7-10 mph in the 1/4( theres your rolling comparo ) , are only roughly with driver 500 lbs heavier than SS , but carry about on average 100 more rwhp . Intake and exhaust mods on a LS1 F-body will typically net 325-335 rwhp .

It really sounds more like ya got a LT1 Trans Am with the front end converted to the newer style , it is not uncommon nowadays to see that . If that were the case , I would totally buy the whole scenario . My SS can hang with a stockish LT1 , its damn close ...but my SS has always been about a 1/2 a fender ot less on stock LT1 . LS1 10 times out 10 has blown me away . My friend Justin with a 99 LS1 regualr trans am pulled me pretty good , got outa his to pace back with me then pulled me again , all the while I was WOT , and I can throttle-on shift my SS pretty damn good .
Old 01-28-2006, 02:11 PM

This I believe because at last saturdays Nj meet a guy in a WS6 showed up to the meet and a bunch of use were crusin down rt9 and I lined up with the guy at a light and we were like what the **** lets go so we raced till the top of third and I had almost a full car on him, but I've got a few modds.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 PM

ws6 are sexy cars, my father had a 1998 ws6 but sold it for a new vette
Old 01-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
No we raced from a kick, so driving wasnt really the issue. I also raced my buddy in his 04 GTO(LS1)lastnight too. We raced from a dead stop, and he only beat me by 2 cars. Thats with a crappy lanch bey me too.

Nice Job!....i get my ass kicked daily by an 05' goat but i love every minute of it oh and my ss isn't supercharged so the ass kicking is even worse....lol
Old 01-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
With no disrespect to you or the Cobalt SS at all , I own one afterall .....I have also owed the said Trans Am at one point and have driven COUNTELESS other LS1 powered cars . That TA musta had issues , because even a dead stock LS1 car pulls so much stronger than a Cobalt SS , its not even comparable . Hell , they trap on average 7-10 mph in the 1/4( theres your rolling comparo ) , are only roughly with driver 500 lbs heavier than SS , but carry about on average 100 more rwhp . Intake and exhaust mods on a LS1 F-body will typically net 325-335 rwhp .

It really sounds more like ya got a LT1 Trans Am with the front end converted to the newer style , it is not uncommon nowadays to see that . If that were the case , I would totally buy the whole scenario . My SS can hang with a stockish LT1 , its damn close ...but my SS has always been about a 1/2 a fender ot less on stock LT1 . LS1 10 times out 10 has blown me away . My friend Justin with a 99 LS1 regualr trans am pulled me pretty good , got outa his to pace back with me then pulled me again , all the while I was WOT , and I can throttle-on shift my SS pretty damn good .
It dont think it was the lt1 he said he was pushing about 375bhp. He did say that he was having clutch proplems though. But we didnt race from a dig, so..... who knows. But i have beaten a LT1 z28 with mods before.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt443
Nice Job!....i get my ass kicked daily by an 05' goat but i love every minute of it oh and my ss isn't supercharged so the ass kicking is even worse....lol
thanks, he is a great driver, and he just shot out of the hole. But me, i spun through 1st and 2nd. . I had a bad launch. He has longtube headers,high flow cats, 78mm TB, B&M short throw, and K&N filter.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Man I will say nice kill but it is slightly hard to swollow that story completly. Those cars trap between 109 and 115 stock. I know thats a big margin but thats what I've seen from there time slips on some of there forums. On a perfect day you may trap 98-100 with your mods. So reguardless of what times they run if the race is from a roll you should look at the trap speeds. On paper you should have lost that battle but you didn't so good job you beat the odds .
Old 01-28-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Man I will say nice kill but it is slightly hard to swollow that story completly. Those cars trap between 109 and 115 stock. I know thats a big margin but thats what I've seen from there time slips on some of there forums. On a perfect day you may trap 98-100 with your mods. So reguardless of what times they run if the race is from a roll you should look at the trap speeds. On paper you should have lost that battle but you didn't so good job you beat the odds .
yeah but we started racing at about 80 mph, not from a dead stop
Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good kill... everyone automaticall looks at why it's not possible... who cares about trap speed, they didn't start from a stop... and i've driven several trans ams as well, what i've noticed is that most of their power is off the line... as is with several of the pontiacs... beasts off the line, but then start pulling more slowly once you're up to speed.. if he said he beat him from a dead stop, i too would call bs... but that's not the case..
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
good kill... everyone automaticall looks at why it's not possible... who cares about trap speed, they didn't start from a stop... and i've driven several trans ams as well, what i've noticed is that most of their power is off the line... as is with several of the pontiacs... beasts off the line, but then start pulling more slowly once you're up to speed.. if he said he beat him from a dead stop, i too would call bs... but that's not the case..
i actually did beat a ws6 at the track (1/8 Mile), but it was because that guy couldnt drive to save his life!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
HHAHA you really trying to say that a WS6 pulls less as it goes faster, or from a roll compared to a dig? Oh Boy..............
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Well lastnight i chased this trans am w6s down. It was the 98 or higher ls1. I was behind him, and when we came to the first straight, i geared down and passed him. Well he didnt pass him back, so i started reving up on him and messing with the guy. Well when we came to the next long straight, and he gears down and switches lanes to pass me. Well i gear down into 3rd when he gets beside me. He passes me and switched lanes back in front of me. We hit 4th gear, and i start pulling on him! I got as close to him as possible and i switch lanes to pass him back. I get about 3/4 a car on him, and my car starts miss firing in 4th gear at 5500rpms! I was so pissed! The guys pulls over after the race, and says, "damn what does that thing got in it!, i told what i had done, and we both had just intake and exhaust. He asked me if i had a governer on my car. He said that when i was about to pass him back, that he could see my headlight bobbing up and down like i was hitting a governer or the rev limiter. i told him about the miss firing. I am going to get mgk sparkplugs today!

Oh yeah, he asked if it was a 6cly, and i told him it was a 4 banger, and he said,"i cant believe i got beat by a 4 banger" LOL.
Which spark plugs do you run ?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:41 PM

who starts a race at 80mph? thats not a race. hell you've already eliminated your launch, 1st, 2nd and 3rd and any driver skill at all.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:42 PM

Sorry but I am calling complete BULL on this. A stock Camaro Z28 or Trans Am WS6 will waste us. My 99 Vette only has 20 or so more Horsepower then the WS6 and its an LS1 and there is no comparison between my Cobalt SS/SC and the LS1, the Torque cannot be matched as well as the HP.

My 2 cents...

Jason
Old 01-28-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackSS
Sorry but I am calling complete BULL on this. A stock Camaro Z28 or Trans Am WS6 will waste us. My 99 Vette only has 20 or so more Horsepower then the WS6 and its an LS1 and there is no comparison between my Cobalt SS/SC and the LS1, the Torque cannot be matched as well as the HP.

My 2 cents...

Jason
20 more hp and 500 lbs less............not **** it isnt a comparison to a cobalt
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by helty
who starts a race at 80mph? thats not a race. hell you've already eliminated your launch, 1st, 2nd and 3rd and any driver skill at all.
i do
Old 01-28-2006, 05:51 PM

20 more hp and 500 lbs less............not **** it isnt a comparison to a cobalt
The 99 Vette is directly comparable with a WS6, its slightly faster. I bet if you raced the two it would be a drivers race with a slight edge going to the Vette.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:53 PM

i do
thats a shame
Old 01-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darksun280
HHAHA you really trying to say that a WS6 pulls less as it goes faster, or from a roll compared to a dig? Oh Boy..............

don't put words in my mouth, i never said that...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM

I thought the ls1's pull like crazy at high speeds. I'm guessing this was an illegal street race so anything can happen.....but at the drag strip, he would smoke you. (unless he can't drive for shyt, and even then you'd probably still wouldn't beat him) but since it's the street I guess I belive you. Good kill.

Quick Reply: I beat a WS6 Lastnight!