War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

I went to jail last night!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres some info for ya

The Miranda rights do not protect you from being arrested, only from incriminating yourself during questioning. All police need to legally arrest a person is "probable cause" -- an adequate reason based on facts and events to believe the person has committed a crime. Police are required to "Read him his (Miranda) rights," only before interrogating a suspect. While failure to do so may cause any subsequent statements to be thrown out of court, the arrest may still be legal and valid.
http://www.bailyes.com/miranda_rights.htm
Old 05-26-2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS
too bad the battery life sucks. now if you would just wire it up to your car's battery, then there would be no problem.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
too bad the battery life sucks. now if you would just wire it up to your car's battery, then there would be no problem.
It lasts 5-7 days, thats pretty good I would think.

but it is possible to hardwire with a little work.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS
It lasts 5-7 days, thats pretty good I would think.

but it is possible to hardwire with a little work.
yea it's pretty good, but to use it in this type of circumstance, you'd need it with you at all times. Changing out batteries every week would get expensive.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I guess it was alright for the cop to arrest me for not reading me my rights then. Well the good thing is I atleast have a lawyer.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:02 AM

wow, crazy. i know in Alberta here if they dont have a pic of you doin over the speed limit they cant dp ****. and if they try, go to court with the ticket, and the cops wont even show up. so basically your good to go. but dude, your 2miles from the MEXICAN border!!!??? OF COURSE theres gonna be cops everywhere. i dunno what to suggest except for saying that you were street racing is ******* bullshit and have the cops show PROOF that you were. Proof is what makes of breaks everything. if you were under the speed limit i dont see how they can do ****. good luck dude.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:53 AM

illegal

Originally Posted by betterthanbad
Is it a criminal offence to race??????? I thought you just get a speeding ticket? or is it considered careless????
in the state of washington, well at least king county, if you are even present at races, even if you jsut happen to be driving by at the time, you can be sighted like $560 for race attendance, if you rev your motor but dont actually race, you can be sighted about $1500 for 'conspiracy to race"... and if you are caught racing, you get the two previous, plus reckless driving, which is like $600 or so, and also racing, which is another grand or so.... and along with reckless, they can suspend your lisence, impound your car, strip it in search for stolen parts, and arrest you.... they are not fond of racers up here, and the conspiracy to race is unfightable in court, because you cant prove you werent intending to race, so by default they automatically say you did and you are stuck with the fine... hows that for stiff legal penalties eh?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 AM

HEY HEY Victim # 2 of the texas arresting people for street racing act. I pretty much got the same thing last october, Except I was racing, didn't get my rights read to me, spent about 13 hours in jail, had to pay to get my car out, its still in trial as I type.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 AM

i got a ticket for drag racing and the cop told me he could take me to jail for wreckless driving but didnt and i just had to go to driver improvement class and it was deferred for 90 days. but i had nothing but 1 speeding ticket on my recent record. what sucks for my friend is that less than a month later he got sent to jail and they impounded his car for the same thing so here in NM its a 50/50 chance just depends on the cop that pulls you over i guess
Old 05-26-2006, 01:05 PM

I have this device to clear Cell Codes etc... But if you leave it in, it will log about 300hrs of data... It shows Speed, braking etc... I haven't really played with it, so I don't know if it will log exact time when you stop go etc...

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp
Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM

if you were not read your miranda rights nor was your registration taken then I would fight it. Unless you do not have the money. They must have you radared or lasered going above the speed limit or their case is fukt.... So get a lawyer and fight that ****.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:16 PM

miranda rights dont mean **** anymore... i was arrested and charged and probation and all that nonsense and i was never read my miranda rights at all.. i told my lawyer this (ex-DA) and she said they dont have to read you your rights blada blada and some excuse.. to me its all bullshit and what not..

but then again.. i was kinda caught red-handed and it was alot worse then street racing
Old 05-26-2006, 01:17 PM

the box logs everything. thats why at the dealer they look at that. how u drive the car. like if u clutch goes bad they look how fast ur acceleration is and if u redline it and so on and so forth so have them log it when u got pulled over
Old 05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by cheesetits
Mission Texas is about 2 miles form the mexican border. Can they really read the black box. On top of that i didn't even know that vehichles had a black box. Honestly, I don't think I'm even going to have to go to that extent one they find out I wasn't read my rights.
A little off subect but I live in Houston and I got arrested for poss. marijuana and it was'nt even mine, it was in my friends pocket and we were in his car, i don't even smoke, but I didn't get read my rights either and my lawyer told me that he couldnt get me off with just that, they ended up having to do a drug test to show that i dont even smoke, about $2000 and 6 court apearences and 8 months later the charges were finally dropped. Texas cops are corrupt.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Hi Cheese -

I beat a drag racing ticket in court once.

That is one of the hardest tickets to prosecute - they have to show intent to race.

If you did not race, it will be difficult for the prosecution to prove that you intended to race.

Your friend must state on the record that he accelerated hard from the stop, but that he was not intending to race

Put the officer(s) on the stand and ask them what they first noticed (i.e. squealing tires, revving engines etc ...). This will establish when the officer first thought you were racing.

Then ask the officer how fast he estimates YOUR speed during the incident.

Do not just roll over and plead guilty. I stuck it too them in court because the officer said he saw us both at the stop light and then we accelerated hard off the line (we did... ) , yet when I asked him (while he was on the stand ) what got his attention, he said it was squealing tires and loud exhaust (revving engines...).

Ooops - that was contrary to his statement that indicated he was watching us sitting at the light.....Judge hands us both back our licenses and we walk. Case dismissed.

Good luck.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 05-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt30
ur friend is the one that screwd you over. for a 'race" to take place it most have one of following.

-spin tires
-betting anything
-agreement between the drivers if its just for fun.

also the cops do have voice recording during all traffic stops and i wouldnt worry bout getting a cop in trouble for him being a f*ck up and not reading you your rights. thats his mistake your gain.
Hi Cobalt30 -

At least in Illinois - all you need to prove is "Intent to race".

No other requirements.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 05-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
miranda rights dont mean **** anymore... i was arrested and charged and probation and all that nonsense and i was never read my miranda rights at all.. i told my lawyer this (ex-DA) and she said they dont have to read you your rights blada blada and some excuse.. to me its all bullshit and what not..

but then again.. i was kinda caught red-handed and it was alot worse then street racing
I am a criminal justice major and i am an intern with the Greeley Police. Miranda rights only need to be read befor any interogation. They are usualy never read before or durring an arrest. They don't need your registration eather, Everything is linked to your name, birthdate, SSN, ID# and liscesnse plate number. But, it does suck that that cop is a *****.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by importkiller
I am a criminal justice major and i am an intern with the Greeley Police. Miranda rights only need to be read befor any interogation. They are usualy never read before or durring an arrest. They don't need your registration eather, Everything is linked to your name, birthdate, SSN, ID# and liscesnse plate number. But, it does suck that that cop is a *****.
Hmm, coming from the other side of the law, I beg to differ slightly, but keep this in mind = I lived in Virginia, which is a commonwealth state, and twice as different as regulars.

Oh, and for the rcerod, you hvae aolt of porlbems tpynig.

(It's weird how you can read that and understand it)

Anyway, at some point during the arrest, be it after you arrive at the jail house or not, I have always been read my Miranda rights. But there is a reason for this. Unless you have been read your Miranda's, your lawyer can shoot down anything the cop says in court. But being as you didn't admit to anything, it shouldn't apply here.

Your registration only proves that your vehicle is registered.

Sorry if I am wrong, just adding my 2 cents.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM

The cop told me it was a class b misdemeanor, but they treated me like i was a felon. I was put in a cell with guys who were in there for domestic abuse, aggravated assault, rape, and believe it or not a member of Mara Salvatrucha. Heres brief article on the gang.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7244879/site/newsweek/

I really don't think I belong in that jail cell. When I told the rest of the inmates what i was in for they ******* laught with me, or at me. hahaha.
It's pretty likely that you were in a holding cell waiting for a bed. Usually they will put sex offenders and those with agg. cases in single cell while the rest go to a tank after you make it out of holding. They don't have to read you your miranda rights unless you're being questioned.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM

actually miranda rights must be read before you are booked... for a CJ major you must have went to sleep a couple of times. Because during the booking process you can say something that the courts can use against you in a trial.. You might want to stay awake before the next lecture.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
actually miranda rights must be read before you are booked... for a CJ major you must have went to sleep a couple of times. Because during the booking process you can say something that the courts can use against you in a trial.. You might want to stay awake before the next lecture.
I have taken Gov 2 semesters (a dif one not the same one) and I have learned the same thing as the criminal justice major. Although I have been read my rights every time I've been booked so...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM

yes you can say something during the booking process that can be used in court, they are called ras geste (sp?) statements. I work as a security gaurd for a large department store, and i have made civilian arressts on many individuals. I have also sat in with nassau county police department as they book arressties, they do not have to read you miranda unless they will be questioning you about the incident. Infact, the policy for those arressted is to not be read miranda so ras geste statements can be made and recorded, they leave miranda up to the detectives that will pursue the case.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller
I guess spelling and grammer are also not needed... Haha Jkk just having some fun
Old 05-26-2006, 06:54 PM

So i get out of work at around 2 in the morning wednesday, and my buddy and I are driving side by side. So we get to a light and we just sat there talking about how much work sucks waiting till the light turned green. When it does he punches it and his tires squeel. I accelerate normaly and later catch up to him going under the speed limit which is 55 mph. After passing him i see cop lights behind him and he starts to pull over. Me being a nice guy I decided to pull over further down the road just in case he needed something. Well, another cop gets up behind me and ask me for my license. After returning with it he pulls me out of my car and places me under arrest for racing. I was conffused, but we both were on the way to jail, then later to county jail. I wasn't read my rights or asked for registration for my vehicle. The whole arrest happend within 2 minutes and I had to pay to get my car out of the inpound. And soon to pay court cost. WTF ?????????????? I wasn't even racing this time and i got arrested. Isn't that irony.
thats sucks big time man
Old 05-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt30ur friend is the one that screwd you over. for a 'race" to take place it most have one of following.

-spin tires
-betting anything
-agreement between the drivers if its just for fun.

also the cops do have voice recording during all traffic stops and i wouldnt worry bout getting a cop in trouble for him being a f*ck up and not reading you your rights. thats his mistake your gain.

first i would like to say that you DO NOT HAVE TO BE READ YOUR MIRANDA RIGHTS for certain misdemeanors, with drag racing falling into this category. Secondly, (at least in Michigan) to be charged with drag racing, two people must be doing the following: accelerating at a high rate of speed side by side, and must be going OVER the posted speed limit. Betting agreements or even conversation between the two drivers is completely irrelevant, and not required for a D/R charge. Spinning tires is also not required. FYI not asking you for your registration means nothing.

Quick Reply: I went to jail last night!!!!