War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Intense Stage 3 SS vs 06 GTO automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intense Stage 3 SS vs 06 GTO automatic

No track times, but I finally got a chance to run a GTO on the street. I know some might not believe me without a video or timeslips, but I could care less. I'm just happy as heck that I got a chance to run one on the street and I was expecting to get beat. I think I was just lucky or something tonight.

On the way home from work today I ran a silver 06 GTO with the Intense Stage 3 kit+ extras on my car and it was close. I ran from a 20roll in 2nd and all the way up to 5th gear around 140 before we both let off. I had him barely by 1 car. Great race and the guy actually pulled over to check out my SS once we were done. He was shocked and so was I that we were almost dead even. It was the 400hp 06 LS2 bone stock with an automatic. Nice car and the guy was pretty cool about the race. Older guy in his 40's. I was neck and neck with him and the only reason I was ahead a car length was I had a little more pull in 2nd when we both took off. Even start.... but it proved to me the Intense kit is enough to keep up with a GTO from a roll and I'm making power enough to be in the mid 13's. Wish I had a video of it. I hit every shift almost perfect and both cars were side by side basically in all gears. If we would have went from a stop he would have got me by at least 1-2 cars easily. It was about 10:00pm tonight on Mound Rd in Michigan near the GM Tech Center. I hope the GTO guy comes on here and posts something. I told him about the site.

Car was lean with C1 settings in the maf translator runing 19.8lbs of boost. I was 830-840's with 1-2 degrees of knock retard on top. The temp was 41degree's outside and other mods are in my sig.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Sweet! All this Intense Stage 3 #'s and wins is tempting me to buy the kit!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great kill! Don't worry, it's very believable that you beat one. He weighs almost 1,000 lbs more!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 AM

good kill i raced 1 from a 30 roll in my srt4 with an agp wga and i had about car and a half on him maybe 2 cars by 110
Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 AM

Awesome race man. I've ridden in his car and don't doubt the race at all. His SS moves out. All these stories are making it harder for me to wait to do something to my car.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Great kill! Don't worry, it's very believable that you beat one. He weighs almost 1,000 lbs more!
I was suprised that it was that close in the upper gears. I thought he would pull on me dispite the weight factor with his hp.

One thing I forgot to mention is I did notice after the race, when we pulled over I had to reset my Maf-translator to a richer base. It was on (C1)Base C, WOT 1.... When we were pulling over my car felt sluggish and O2 readings were 930's. Probably because I ran lean for a bit during that race and my exhuast temps were up there. I think the ECU was over calculating and runing it rich to cool it down. I set the Maf-T to D1 and all was back to normal on he way home. Funny thing my car like C1 with 50+degree temps and D1 under 50degree's.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Nice KILL!!!

As for the stage2 kit from GM, just read on the tuner site, 260hp at 6800!

Sorry, waste of money
Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I need a napkin if you know what I mean. After reading that story I LOVE THE SS SC...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by FAST06SS
Nice KILL!!!

Sorry, waste of money
OK........Your car dynoed 10 more hp with a 2.8 inch pulley.....They use a 3 inch. You slap a 2.8 on the stage 2 I belive you will have equal hp numbers if not more with the GM kit plus a raised rev limiter

Sick kill nonetheless. It just shows you that our cars will have a lot of potential in the near future.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ENUFPWR
No track times, but I finally got a chance to run a GTO on the street. I know some might not believe me without a video or timeslips, but I could care less. I'm just happy as heck that I got a chance to run one on the street and I was expecting to get beat. I think I was just lucky or something tonight.

On the way home from work today I ran a silver 06 GTO with the Intense Stage 3 kit+ extras on my car and it was close. I ran from a 20roll in 2nd and all the way up to 5th gear around 140 before we both let off. I had him barely by 1 car. Great race and the guy actually pulled over to check out my SS once we were done. He was shocked and so was I that we were almost dead even. It was the 400hp 06 LS2 bone stock with an automatic. Nice car and the guy was pretty cool about the race. Older guy in his 40's. I was neck and neck with him and the only reason I was ahead a car length was I had a little more pull in 2nd when we both took off. Even start.... but it proved to me the Intense kit is enough to keep up with a GTO from a roll and I'm making power enough to be in the mid 13's. Wish I had a video of it. I hit every shift almost perfect and both cars were side by side basically in all gears. If we would have went from a stop he would have got me by at least 1-2 cars easily. It was about 10:00pm tonight on Mound Rd in Michigan near the GM Tech Center. I hope the GTO guy comes on here and posts something. I told him about the site.

Car was lean with C1 settings in the maf translator runing 19.8lbs of boost. I was 830-840's with 1-2 degrees of knock retard on top. The temp was 41degree's outside and other mods are in my sig.
Wow what pulley are you running? I'm only showing 16.5 psi with a 2.7. I slightly pulled an srt-4 05 stock (but I prob could have done more if I didnt miss third, at 110 I started just barely to catch back up to him...that is why I said barely pulled on him)

Dan
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by djt81185
Wow what pulley are you running? I'm only showing 16.5 psi with a 2.7. I slightly pulled an srt-4 05 stock (but I prob could have done more if I didnt miss third, at 110 I started just barely to catch back up to him...that is why I said barely pulled on him)

Dan
It sounds like you don't have the boost bypass mod done.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 AM

I posted all this info once before

2.8 = 15.5

2.7 = 16.7

2.6 = 18.4

2.5 = 19.4

If you are getting higher numbers, you have exhaust retsrictions

Sorry to go off topic
Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 AM

2.8 @ 15.5 ? I hit 14.5 consistantly with a 3.15 I would hope to gain more than a lb of boost.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 AM

I have hit 14psi Stock from the day I bought the car. Sorry FAST06SS but I am not believing those numbers or your restrictive exhaust statement. Maybe your car is the one with the issues. I'm not starting a war here or putting your car down. I just don't think your statement is 100% accurate.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:52 AM

i think hes right, Im boosting, 15.8 on my 2.8 and was boosting 12.4 in my stock pulley.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
I have hit 14psi Stock from the day I bought the car. Sorry FAST06SS but I am not believing those numbers or your restrictive exhaust statement. Maybe your car is the one with the issues. I'm not starting a war here or putting your car down. I just don't think your statement is 100% accurate.
I always love that statement, "not trying to start a war here"

Sorry guys, you can't look at peak boost, look at the average! Don't understand, look at some of the dyno sheets posted on here. Boost is level until about 6K then it will rise.
If you are going by the stock gauge, makes sense since it is class2 data and not physically connected to the engine!

EVERY car may be a little different do to mod's etc; BUT , all of the cars i've seen post are with-in .5psi when you get below a 2.8!

14psi on a stock car! You have problems somewhere in drivetrain

Supercharges create boost by forcing air into the motor, if your combo flows better than someone else's, then your boost will be a little lower. When there is a restirction in either the INtake (low boost) or exhaust (causes high boost) numbers will vary. Head porting, camshafts, mufflers, headers, air intakes, ALL play an important roll in the final boost "number"

All my numbers are from the dyno in a controlled enviroment using test equipment, and a free flowing exhaust. Are they 100% dead-on, NO! Just a representation of what it should be with similar mod's. Make sense?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
2.8 @ 15.5 ? I hit 14.5 consistantly with a 3.15 I would hope to gain more than a lb of boost.

See my post! You have an air intake mod which = less restictive air inlet which helps get a little more boost.

You have NO exhaust mod's which inflates the boost do to a restriction on the exhaust side.

I guarantee you my car w/ 2.8 at 15psi is making more power an TQ than yours at 15psi wit a 3.1 do to less restirctive exhaust and smaller pulley.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Nice KILL!!!

Sorry, waste of money
That's a bold statement. The Intense kit is nice and I'm not knocking it, but people keep comparing horsepower numbers from with a kit with a 2.8" pulley to the GM one with a 3.06". That is NOT an apples to apples comparison. Plus no one knows what the GM kits will put down horsepower wise. Remember the car is rated at 205 and you dynoed at 230+.

Both kits have the same size injectors but GM's kit has total control of the ECU not just a box to scale back the bigger injectors. It just doesn't make sense to me that the GM kit would make less power with the same size pulley.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by max_boost
Both kits have the same size injectors but GM's kit has total control of the ECU not just a box to scale back the bigger injectors. It just doesn't make sense to me that the GM kit would make less power with the same size pulley.

Unless GM's tune pulls back alot of timing and adds alot of fuel to compensate for the smaller pulley REMEMBER, GM IS MORE WORRIED ABOUT RELIABILITY THAN PERFORMANCE! It's there a$$ if these kits cause issues, so believe me, the kits will be conservative. Otherwise they'll lose alot of money on warranty work. Why do you think it's taking them so long to come out? Think about it for a minute.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:24 PM

FAST06SS...Um...putting on a CAI will NOT increase boost...increased air intake will just put more, colder air into the SC, which the SC will then compress that air UP TO 12.5 PSI...

But to defend your point (b/c i think your right about the boost levels) restrictive exhaust will make your boost go up, but it definitly isn't a good thing when your boost increases because of a clogged cat.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Unless GM's tune pulls back alot of timing and adds alot of fuel to compensate for the smaller pulley REMEMBER, GM IS MORE WORRIED ABOUT RELIABILITY THAN PERFORMANCE! It's there a$$ if these kits cause issues, so believe me, the kits will be conservative. Otherwise they'll lose alot of money on warranty work. Why do you think it's taking them so long to come out? Think about it for a minute.
We'll see. When I get my kit with a smaller pulley me and ENUFPWR can do a friendly little competition to see how the different kits stack up. He has a lot more racing experiance than me though so I think he'll take me off the line everytime.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS
FAST06SS...Um...putting on a CAI will NOT increase boost...increased air intake will just put more, colder air into the SC, which the SC will then compress that air UP TO 12.5 PSI...

Go ahead and do yourself a favor. Go to www.clubgp.com, and do a search for intakes. You will gain more boost with an intake! On my supercharged Impala, I gained 1 full lb of boost in hot temps, 1.5-2 lbs of boost when the air was colder. If you don't believe me, take off your intake and put the stock one back on and see. You will make more boost with intake's and ported throttle bodies, and you will lose boost with free-flowing exhaust work. It's really common sense, but I can see how young people who are not familiar with supercharged engines would have a hard time figuring things out. A little word of advice, I don't think there's anyone on this board with enough knowledge to prove Rob wrong. He's alot wiser than alot of you, and has been drag racing and going fast for 20+ years. That's more than alot of you have been alive.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by max_boost
We'll see. When I get my kit with a smaller pulley me and ENUFPWR can do a friendly little competition to see how the different kits stack up. He has a lot more racing experiance than me though so I think he'll take me off the line everytime.
That's not really an efficient way to test. Do your testing on dyno's and at the track. Just be sure to do it on the same day. That's a little more accurate.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Come on now Kevin, i know allot but not ALL there is to know. I'm a long way from that

I have been racing and building forced induction cars now since the late 80's
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM

I have been racing and building forced induction cars now since the late 80's

Which is about when some of these guys were born.....

Quick Reply: Intense Stage 3 SS vs 06 GTO automatic