War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Just got beatin by a stock SRT 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5x110 bolt pattern on the SS's IROC.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
p7x

coo, if the drivers are both good and SS can get traction should be a good race. SS's arent even close to being track stars but it comes down to the driver.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by p7x
?L KB @ 11 PSI on a 2.0L motor with 350-400hp. Something's up or theres something we all need to know about.

the SRT4 is a 2.4L Motor and capable of 500whp on stock block and internals...

Not sure if you meant SRT4 of Cobalt though... im stupid
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 PM

I heard about a twinscrew swap through some one very respected on here months and months ago that was being done by a certain company. I definitely have my doubts about this kid in Florida as the modifications to even run a twin-screw blower (especially a Kenne bell) are nothing short of extensive.

...I won't go into details but I was informed the LSJ put down *well* over 300whp before tuning on 10lbs of boost.

I won't go into detail over respect for that member askign me to keep most of it confidential, even though they aren't around much anymore. I doubt this is still in development with all the talk about the next gen Cobalt being turbocharged, so only time will tell i suppose.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by Orlandoech
the SRT4 is a 2.4L Motor and capable of 500whp on stock block and internals...

Not sure if you meant SRT4 of Cobalt though... im stupid
WHAT??? lol, not sure what ur saying/askin meng. My comment was inregards to the setup and the very low PSI level, not if the engine could handle it or not.

I know they are very capable engines but 500hp srt4 stock internals = Boom!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tofu
I definitely have my doubts about this kid in Florida as the modifications to even run a twin-screw blower (especially a Kenne bell) are nothing short of extensive.
lol i know what i saw with my own eyes, it wasnt an eaton. Thats like saying u cant throw a bigger turbo on a srt4 without changing the internals. Show of hands, how many people have fucked up the internals on there LSJ? Many have turbo swapped, custom twincharged, bottles and bottles of nitrous and still. The stock internals held. Im sure internals would have to be done if one wants to run something crazy like a 2.2 kenne bell, but this kid had a 1.3
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sheek360
lol i know what i saw with my own eyes, it wasnt an eaton. Thats like saying u cant throw a bigger turbo on a srt4 without changing the internals. Show of hands, how many people have fucked up the internals on there LSJ? Many have turbo swapped, custom twincharged, bottles and bottles of nitrous and still. The stock internals held. Im sure internals would have to be done if one wants to run something crazy like a 2.2 kenne bell, but this kid had a 1.3
Actually it has nothing to do with the internals (although they should be changed for such a swap) and everything to do with tuning. Does he have his own stand alone PCM, wiring harness, etc? Or is he tuning via HPT? If he is tuning via HPT I would love to see his log file(s). How is he dealing with the IAT, TB placement and boost bypass system using a Kennebell style casing? How is he compensating for the constant compression that twin-screws create vs. roots style blowers? What kind of intercooler is he using? The PCM pulls timing as you move right on the IAT vs. Timing modifier map so I would love to know how he is compensating for this with an aftermarket intercooler.

If it is true, he could make a lot of money showing all the other companies out there how to tune the LSJ correctly to support a twin screw blower efficiently.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people always keep big things like this a cover up. I mean it's going to come out eventually so why not just leak the info out right now. I guess you have to worry about other companies coming out with a kit very similar to yours before you come out with it but ahh it's driving me crazy.

Sheek360, next time you see him, ask him if you can take a picture of his engine bay. If he says no, then knock him out, open the hood, take a quick shot, and run. I mean, wouldn't there be clearance issues with this bigger supercharger or was that only with the eaton m90's?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Ahhh, the age old battle.

At least it seems people are giving both cars proper respect. That is appreciated.

It basically comes down to this:

The SRT-4 in it's FACTORY trim (that is, a 2.4 turbocharged engine) has more potential than a factory setup LSJ with a supercharger. That's MY personal opinion considering the aftermarket support of the two platforms along with turbochargers vs. superchargers (we know that's another debate/discussion, but the fact remains that most aftermarket companies cater to turbochargers over superchargers).

However...if one were to swap the S/C for a T/C...you're on a whole 'nother level. Basically, as someone already pointed out...speed is directly related to the almighty dollar. We could all take Festivas and Geos and pimp them out...it just takes money.

When someone says X car is faster than Y car, it typically refers to the factory setup. What it comes with, what the internals can handle and what parts are available. Both are awesome cars...and I wouldn't mind owning an SS S/C. I just happened to choose an SRT-4 over it.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
Remember, you only have as much potential as your pocket allows you to.
I'm sticking to my story.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm sticking to my story.
And I'm backing it up.

People tend to lose site of this glaring fact. No matter what you drive, it all comes down to money. Though, in todays society, we're all about labels and names. :shrug: Oh well.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilverCSS
And I'm backing it up.

People tend to lose site of this glaring fact. No matter what you drive, it all comes down to money. Though, in todays society, we're all about labels and names. :shrug: Oh well.
Exactly.

I'm just kind of tired people saying "well my motor is capable of 500 HP"...ok if it is...then do it! It's like an Cobalt SS owner who is 100% stock saying "well I know how to make my car run 12s", talk is cheap. Money proves everything. If you have the money to do something, you would have done it. Potential = Money, period. Everyone wants some super duper 4 cylinder that can rip the head off of an Ferrari Enzo...what keeps them from doing it and keeps them stock? Money.

So this thread going on and on for pages is just pointless, honestly. He raced a car, he did alright...yeah he has a supercharger, yeah that car had a turbocharger, so what? Race is a race, power is power. Move on.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Exactly.

I'm just kind of tired people saying "well my motor is capable of 500 HP"...ok if it is...then do it! It's like an Cobalt SS owner who is 100% stock saying "well I know how to make my car run 12s", talk is cheap. Money proves everything. If you have the money to do something, you would have done it. Potential = Money, period. Everyone wants some super duper 4 cylinder that can rip the head off of an Ferrari Enzo...what keeps them from doing it and keeps them stock? Money.

So this thread going on and on for pages is just pointless, honestly. He raced a car, he did alright...yeah he has a supercharger, yeah that car had a turbocharger, so what? Race is a race, power is power. Move on.
The SRT4 is so much faster though, gosh. I mean when I get my Fidenza cam gears and my custom intake manifold and 50 trim look out world, that makes me better than a cobalt ss/sc. I am so cool its crazy like this>>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5FIMpHbgU
Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by pOrk
The SRT4 is so much faster though, gosh. I mean when I get my Fidenza cam gears and my custom intake manifold and 50 trim look out world, that makes me better than a cobalt ss/sc. I am so cool its crazy like this>>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5FIMpHbgU
uh, you're joking right?

I can't look at youtube.com here so I dont know what you posted.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:55 AM

Exactly.

Money is not the only thing you need- If you had an extra $4K to make your car run 12's could you do it? Would you do it? I know in print on a message forum it sounds easy to take your car to the next level if you have the cash- well I guess if you got enough cash to take your car to a shop that specializes in stuff like this then it is no problem but then again if you had that kind of cash you would be driving an Enzo....
I see a couple of guy's here have run 12's in their Cobalt's and I think they would be the first to tell you it's not just as easy as to do as just spending the money.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM

uh, you're joking right?

I can't look at youtube.com here so I dont know what you posted.
Trust me...when you get a chance to look at that video, you'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by IROC R/T
Money is not the only thing you need- If you had an extra $4K to make your car run 12's could you do it? Would you do it? I know in print on a message forum it sounds easy to take your car to the next level if you have the cash- well I guess if you got enough cash to take your car to a shop that specializes in stuff like this then it is no problem but then again if you had that kind of cash you would be driving an Enzo....
I see a couple of guy's here have run 12's in their Cobalt's and I think they would be the first to tell you it's not just as easy as to do as just spending the money.
There are plenty of people who take thier cars to professionals to have work done to their car...and trust me they don't drive enzos. Not all labor charges are that expensive. Heck, when I did my turbo setup, my friend installed it for free who is a professional.

And like you tried to diisprove at first but then thought about it for a second....money is all you need now and days.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 AM

There are plenty of people who take thier cars to professionals to have work done to their car...and trust me they don't drive enzos. Not all labor charges are that expensive. Heck, when I did my turbo setup, my friend installed it for free who is a professional.

And like you tried to diisprove at first but then thought about it for a second....money is all you need now and days.

How many guy's have you seen at the track give up on thier first trip when they did not get the ET they expected? I bet half the guy's that try to be quick give up before they even get to the track. How many others do something wrong and blow their motor never to try again? The guy's that stick with it and get their Cobalts in the 12's have my respect- the guy's that spout off on how easy it is and say all you need is cash get very little if any respect from me. Money is just one aspect of going quick and if you don't have the other things that are needed then the money won't help. Plus if you got the cash to buy a $20K Cobalt you must have the cash to get it in the 12's right? after all it's so damn easy to do .
Old 09-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Oh yeah the Enzo thing was just a play on the thread I quoted.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM

One more thing- I am a pro mechanic and have had my own shop before you were probably born and I can tell you I have never installed a Turbo kit for free!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 PM

How many guy's have you seen at the track give up on thier first trip when they did not get the ET they expected? I bet half the guy's that try to be quick give up before they even get to the track. How many others do something wrong and blow their motor never to try again? The guy's that stick with it and get their Cobalts in the 12's have my respect- the guy's that spout off on how easy it is and say all you need is cash get very little if any respect from me. Money is just one aspect of going quick and if you don't have the other things that are needed then the money won't help. Plus if you got the cash to buy a $20K Cobalt you must have the cash to get it in the 12's right? after all it's so damn easy to do .
I swear you guys take everything I say in the wrong context...

I'm saying in this day and age, all you need is money to get what you want as far as anything with your car. You could have $20,000 in the bank, bring your car to a shop and they do everything for you. Not saying this is the way to go but in reality money is what rules the world. Everyone talks of having some super beast 4 cylinder car and they are going to do this and that...talk is cheap. Guess what keeps them from reaching their goal? Money.

The economy is not that great and I'm sure that alot of these tuners are very young, probably in college or young adults with children who have more responsibilities and more use for their money than to throw it into their car.

So your whole story about the "track guys" had nothing to do with what I was talking about. This is what I was referring to. I never said it was easy...I'm actually insinuating it's not easy to have alot of money but like I said, if someone doesn't have the know how, they can pay someone to have it. Period.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 PM

One more thing- I am a pro mechanic and have had my own shop before you were probably born and I can tell you I have never installed a Turbo kit for free!
Well whoopdie doo...you're a Pro Mechanic, good job.

I'd hope you wouldn't install a turbo kit for a free AT YOUR SHOP. This was a professional friend who did it in his garage...big difference.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:36 PM

Stop being a crybaby NJHK!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by pOrk
Stop being a crybaby NJHK!
I'm getting this from a guy who calls himself "pork"...
Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 PM

truth hurts, even if my name was jesus.

Quick Reply: Just got beatin by a stock SRT 4