War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

LS1 GTO A4 vs Cobalt SS??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell does a GTO have to do with being a baller, better yet who the hell uses the word baller when refering to a cobalt or GTO?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by RooR.De
GTO > Cobalt , the only thing the cobalt has on the GTO is gas mileage , but if your a baller thats the last of your concerns /thread
The Cobalt also has the GTO beat when it comes to inexpensive performance mods. It's so expensive to mod the Goat.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z85w/t
I got a little out of hand smack talking and codyss was banned.

As for the codybs thing please lay off.

I know we have had our at the others throat moments but there is no way even you can say stuff here hasn't gone to hell. I loved my SS/SC for what it was but at the same time after having LS1's I knew what it would and wouldn't beat.

Kids these days seem to have forgotten what good ole V8 power has to offer. I just got tired of being nice.

Like I always said is me saying my GTO runs 13.0 BS nope, anyone running better will take me.
I was just giving you **** lol, I know what you mean about the whole V8 deal though. It seems like there are alot of wild stories poping up on here or there are alot of shitty V8 drivers.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tornatic!!
The Cobalt also has the GTO beat when it comes to inexpensive performance mods. It's so expensive to mod the Goat.
Except you get alot more performance out of those mods on the GTO. Plus any factory FI car is always cheap to mod whether it be a Turbo or Supercharger. All it takes is a pulley swap or boost controller to add more power. Why do you think its common to see 500+rwhp Cobras all over the place?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 04YellowGT
Except you get alot more performance out of those mods on the GTO. Plus any factory FI car is always cheap to mod whether it be a Turbo or Supercharger. All it takes is a pulley swap or boost controller to add more power. Why do you think its common to see 500+rwhp Cobras all over the place?
Yeah I'm well aware of that. Still modding a N/A Mustang/Trans Am/Camaro is alot cheaper than modding a N/A GTO. My last car was a '02 Mustang GT and while it wasn't super quick stock there were so many things I could do with that big aftermarket.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Ummm what more do you want for the GTO?

There are:
- Tuners
- Throttle Bodies
- Intake manifolds
- Headers Short, Mid and Long
- Intake/Head upgrades L92
- Cat-Back Exhausts (which don't do much due to sufficent stock exhaust)
- Drop-In Air filters SLP Blackwing and K&N
- CAI Intakes (which also don't do much)
- Ignition coil upgrades (stock are fine)
- Superchargers Magncharger good Harrop best
- Underdrive crankshaft pullies

There is also the sub-par OE bushings to look at replacing also mainly the Radius Rod and Strut mounts.

The largest performance with GTO's is driver error. Too many people these days focus on speaking of what a car should do rather than doing it.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ballin!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 PM

You know, those Pedders cats got ahold of my car, and they put on some goodies:

can a Cobalt stick a 335 in the rear????
and I love Cobalts btw........

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Yeah I'm well aware of that. Still modding a N/A Mustang/Trans Am/Camaro is alot cheaper than modding a N/A GTO. My last car was a '02 Mustang GT and while it wasn't super quick stock there were so many things I could do with that big aftermarket.
Just because the aftermarket is big dosen't mean its better. Im not a fan of GTOs but the fact is they respond to mods very well like all LS1/LS2s do. Oviously you didnt mod you GT much or at all because you would have found out that with the huge aftermarket the only thing really worth buying is nitrous, blower, or turbo along with supporting mods. The fact is all the bolt-ons really dont help that much on the 2V. The only stangs with awsome aftermarkets that are worth a damn are the 5.0s and the 05+.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 PM

Was that race on Stage 2??
Yea I raced a 5.7 with my Stage 2 from a 20MPH roll and I was neck and neck till half way through 3rd I got a CEL for missfire on 4. then he pulled easy after it started to miss. Neither of us had good traction. I also granny shifted and he never let off teh gas. Hes a great driver, Im not the greatest but Im not bad.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

I am still here regulating the true BS, really though who cares?

If I can convince klugsrt-4 to take a 10 hour trip with me I will have a nice 2007 Corvette Z51 sitting where my GTO is.
Why would you buy a shitty LS2 C6? LS3 all the way
Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 04YellowGT
Just because the aftermarket is big dosen't mean its better. Im not a fan of GTOs but the fact is they respond to mods very well like all LS1/LS2s do. Oviously you didnt mod you GT much or at all because you would have found out that with the huge aftermarket the only thing really worth buying is nitrous, blower, or turbo along with supporting mods. The fact is all the bolt-ons really dont help that much on the 2V. The only stangs with awsome aftermarkets that are worth a damn are the 5.0s and the 05+.
I disagree about FI being the only thing worth it on the 99-04 GT's. With gears, headers, shift kit, good dyno tune they can surprise alot of cars because of the low end torque. I do agree that the 2V doesn't respond well to minor mods. Full bolt-ons will probably get you what 260 rwhp if your lucky.

All I was saying is the GTO is expensive to mod which if you ask alot of GTO owners they would agree.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
Why would you buy a shitty LS2 C6? LS3 all the way
So I suppose you know where to buy a new 2008 Z51 for $40,000, nope.

I disagree about FI being the only thing worth it on the 99-04 GT's. With gears, headers, shift kit, good dyno tune they can surprise alot of cars because of the low end torque. I do agree that the 2V doesn't respond well to minor mods. Full bolt-ons will probably get you what 260 rwhp if your lucky.

All I was saying is the GTO is expensive to mod which if you ask alot of GTO owners they would agree.

1- Hello 99-04 GT's with the mods you listed still suck. Then they are just cute little stoplight to stoplight machines. Even a fully cammed, geared and exhaust GT is a joke the still lack the overall gearing and rev range to be truly fast. No offense to anyone with a Mustang but accept this cause it's true.

2- Maybe you have a different idea of expensive than most GTO owners like myself.

Last edited by Z85w/t; 12-20-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 PM

I would say that exhaust mods are expensive. With some headers and midpipes going up to $1200. But you can always go coated pacesetter. The rest isnt all that bad IMO. I mean a new cam $400 and everything that goes along with it"valve springs etc $380. and your pushing 420 whp minimum with a tune. Then throw some drag radials on it and your in the low 12's and on some good runs high 11's.

and catbacks are expensive as well, around $800. But the stock piping is 2.5 inches, so all you need to do is buy an axle back

Last edited by jester; 12-20-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM

So I suppose you know where to buy a new 2008 Z51 for $40,000, nope.

1- Hello 99-04 GT's with the mods you listed still suck. Then they are just cute little stoplight to stoplight machines. Even a fully cammed, geared and exhaust GT is a joke the still lack the overall gearing and rev range to be truly fast. No offense to anyone with a Mustang but accept this cause it's true.

2- Maybe you have a different idea of expensive than most GTO owners like myself.
I think you need to calm down a little. There plenty of cammed/geared GT's that will eat your GOAT lets not kid ourselves. With our Goats being difficult to launch and being so heavy even a lightly modded '05 GT would be trouble in 1/4 race until you master how to launch.

Back to the subject I have a GTO so I think I know what I'm talking about. The GTO being from austrailia parts in general will be more expensive especially since they were discontinued. I'm not going to go back and forth. Lets agree to disagree.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM

I don't see the GTO as overly expensive to mod...

my Twin Turbo kit cost more then my big turbo kit on my neon, however there are other car applications where the stakes go much higher.

But I too have a different idea of what is expensive and what isn't...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Try buying parts for a TBSS..

My cat-back alone is no less then 5-600 and that's bottom of the barrell. I'm looking to spend 1500 on JUST headers and a Y pipe. lol...Ah well, she's worth it when my 5K pound beast is eating up Stangs, Chargers, GTO's and the like...

Not trying to start yet another arguement, just throwing my 2 cents in. By the way, COBALTS RULE!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by LittleMT
I don't see the GTO as overly expensive to mod...

my Twin Turbo kit cost more then my big turbo kit on my neon, however there are other car applications where the stakes go much higher.

But I too have a different idea of what is expensive and what isn't...
I'm trying to make it seem like the GTO is very expensive to mod but I was comparing to other american muscle like the LS1 F-bods. They have the advantage of being out for so many years and there's so many out there that the average modification will be cheaper. There's less GTO's out there so they can charger more for some mods.

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
Try buying parts for a TBSS..

My cat-back alone is no less then 5-600 and that's bottom of the barrell. I'm looking to spend 1500 on JUST headers and a Y pipe. lol...Ah well, she's worth it when my 5K pound beast is eating up Stangs, Chargers, GTO's and the like...

Not trying to start yet another arguement, just throwing my 2 cents in. By the way, COBALTS RULE!!!
Believe or not catbacks on the GTO are $500 or better. For Kooks LT's/Midpipes it'll cost me over $1200 so it's close to the TBSS.

Last edited by tornatic!!; 12-20-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM

I'm trying to make it seem like the GTO is very expensive to mod but I was comparing to other american muscle like the LS1 F-bods. They have the advantage of being out for so many years and there's so many out there that the average modification will be cheaper. There's less GTO's out there so they can charger more for some mods.

Believe or not catbacks on the GTO are $500 or better. For Kooks LT's/Midpipes it'll cost me over $1200 so it's close to the TBSS.
buy pacesetter jet hot coated headers, they fit great, look great, and are $614 shipped from MS
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM

I think you need to calm down a little. There plenty of cammed/geared GT's that will eat your GOAT lets not kid ourselves. With our Goats being difficult to launch and being so heavy even a lightly modded '05 GT would be trouble in 1/4 race until you master how to launch.

Back to the subject I have a GTO so I think I know what I'm talking about. The GTO being from austrailia parts in general will be more expensive especially since they were discontinued. I'm not going to go back and forth. Lets agree to disagree.
Really on average a full bolt-on w/ H/C GT is a high-mid 12 car at best with a streetable cam. To me thats nothing to call home about, I would rather take all that money and put it into a blower and walk that GT. There was a guy on Stangnet that had 02 Mustang GT 5spd with VT Stage2 NA Cams, VT Heads with pretty much every NA mod you could do and he ran a best of like 12.89 with his car. He spent alot of $$ on that. With a $3,500 blower kit from MPH I beat his best time the first pass I made at the track and I was an auto. Hmm what does that tell you..... that the 2Vs dont respond to bolt-ons no matter how many there are for them.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

I thinks maybe someone needs to learn how to drive. Sorry but the closest a 2005 GT was to me was when we took off.

And seriously dude you need to remember the GTO comes with better stuff stock. The LS1 needed a Lid and cat-back.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM

fountain ceiling kinetic
Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Altiery54
no problem. theres a 04 m6 runnin around my town with a full exhaust on his goat and it sounds sick as hell
Maybe you can just hear mine from there
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 AM

I thinks maybe someone needs to learn how to drive. Sorry but the closest a 2005 GT was to me was when we took off.

And seriously dude you need to remember the GTO comes with better stuff stock. The LS1 needed a Lid and cat-back.
In general with us having IRS cars with live rear axle have the launch advantage. That's a big reason why the LS1 F-bods are able to stay close or have the lead for awhile. Launching is not a GTO strong point. Also don't get me wrong I'm not dissing my Goat I'm glad to be apart of the LSX family.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 AM

In general with us having IRS cars with live rear axle have the launch advantage. That's a big reason why the LS1 F-bods are able to stay close or have the lead for awhile. Launching is not a GTO strong point. Also don't get me wrong I'm not dissing my Goat I'm glad to be apart of the LSX family.
I'm pretty sure weight and gearing are also reasons as to why it takes an LS2 powered GTO to hold off a stock LS1 Camaro. I can't talk any junk though, I have an LS2 powered SUV. lol...I did manage a 13.53 with only removing the spare tire, so I'd say I'm not doing too horrible though.

Quick Reply: LS1 GTO A4 vs Cobalt SS??