War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

me vs. 06 evo mr

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cawpin
The only part of drivetrain loss that is Thermo is in an automatic transmission. The rest is simple dynamics.

Thermodynamics involves movement of fluids, be they gas or liquid. Stop trying to sound smart.
Thermo means heat dip ****.

did you mean FLUID dynamics perhaps? wow you truly are intelligent!

GO BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
ok how many times to i have to spell this out for you guys? WHEEL HORSEPOWER IS AFTER THE DRIVETRAIN POWER LOSS! I AM SAYING IF YOU LOOK AT THE 300 HORSEPOWER CARS ON THE MARKET THAT ARE NOT AWD, MOST OF THEM WILL RAPE STI'S AND EVOS FROM A ROLL. whp is whp, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain they have they are putting down the SAME power. crank horsepower on the other hand will be slightly dropped throughout the drivetrain into heat. Since there are far more components and rotating mass in an awd drivetrain, alot more power is lost before it makes it to the wheels. Case in point- the 03ish wrx's made what 227chp? they put like 170 to the wheels or something like that. that is ALOT of drivetrain power loss. Then look at my car. Puts around 185-190 to the wheels with 210chp. There are alot of different factors, but mainly it is because of less drivetrain power loss, and from a roll if gearing and weight are close enough, 15-20 whp will make a pretty decent difference. Stop talking about wheel horsepower numbers when we are discussing drivetrain power loss, it totally eliminates the point of looking at drivetrain power loss in the first place. You know what those 600whp evos are putting out that the crank? probably around 750. You know what a rwd car making 600whp is putting out at the crank? Probably around 700. from a roll with all else being equal they should run side by side, but equal out those crank numbers and BOOM rwd blows the **** out of that awd car cause it probably is putting down a good 50-60 less whp.
you know what i dont even have to read everything you typed up cause honest to god i forgot what the original argument was. So what points is either side trying to prove again?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:43 PM

awd cars(ie evo/sti) lack top end when stock. I say its the turbo, and 8cd03gro says its the AWD drivetrain.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
awd cars(ie evo/sti) lack top end when stock. I say its the turbo, and 8cd03gro says its the AWD drivetrain.
and I say it's the steering wheel
Old 12-19-2006, 04:50 PM

like i said with evos and sti's it may also partly be the turbo, but awd cars will almost always lack top end compared to their rwd and fwd competitors due to the drivetrain.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:51 PM

Since i believe with a bigger turbo the drive train lost isn't that noticable. I will have to say i side more with the smaller turbo idea. But...... Stock eveo 9's turbos arent really that small for the size motor there pared up with compared to like an sti or srt-4. I think the reason an srt-4 does so good from a roll is not only cause its fwd but also because the extra displacment plus its the lightest of the group. thats why such a small stock turbo isn't holding it back. I think sti's have the smallest turbo of the group too if im not mistaken?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun
Since i believe with a bigger turbo the drive train lost isn't that noticable. I will have to say i side more with the smaller turbo idea. But...... Stock eveo 9's turbos arent really that small for the size motor there pared up with compared to like an sti or srt-4. I think the reason an srt-4 does so good from a roll is not only cause its fwd but also because the extra displacment plus its the lightest of the group. thats why such a small stock turbo isn't holding it back. I think sti's have the smallest turbo of the group too if im not mistaken?
Lol, I was just about to type that!(ok, something like it)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 PM

Lol, I was just about to type that!(ok, something like it)
I'm just a little baffled sometimes cause i was a firm believer that AWD = disadvantage from a roll but slowly over time its seems like mitsubishi is dispelling that myth everytime they revise the evo. Honest to god Evo's are really starting to whoop ass from a roll. and its seems like that don't start getting beat out at the track till they wanna dabble in the
10's and lower And thats when RWD whoops up on them.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

ok how many times to i have to spell this out for you guys? WHEEL HORSEPOWER IS AFTER THE DRIVETRAIN POWER LOSS! I AM SAYING IF YOU LOOK AT THE 300 HORSEPOWER CARS ON THE MARKET THAT ARE NOT AWD, MOST OF THEM WILL RAPE STI'S AND EVOS FROM A ROLL. whp is whp, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain they have they are putting down the SAME power. crank horsepower on the other hand will be slightly dropped throughout the drivetrain into heat. Since there are far more components and rotating mass in an awd drivetrain, alot more power is lost before it makes it to the wheels. Case in point- the 03ish wrx's made what 227chp? they put like 170 to the wheels or something like that. that is ALOT of drivetrain power loss. Then look at my car. Puts around 185-190 to the wheels with 210chp. There are alot of different factors, but mainly it is because of less drivetrain power loss, and from a roll if gearing and weight are close enough, 15-20 whp will make a pretty decent difference. Stop talking about wheel horsepower numbers when we are discussing drivetrain power loss, it totally eliminates the point of looking at drivetrain power loss in the first place. You know what those 600whp evos are putting out that the crank? probably around 750. You know what a rwd car making 600whp is putting out at the crank? Probably around 700. from a roll with all else being equal they should run side by side, but equal out those crank numbers and BOOM rwd blows the **** out of that awd car cause it probably is putting down a good 50-60 less whp.
Are you stupid????

Nobody is arguing what you are saying. ALL you are saying is that "With equal engines and gearing in equal cars from a ROLL FWD>RWD>AWD". NO ******* DUH!!! That is not what anybody was arguing. We were not talking about equal cars. We were talking about STOCK STI/EVO8s which put down around 240 PEAK whp and modded Cobalts that are making around the same power being able to win. In this scenario AWD vs FWD has nothing to do with it. The reason the Cobalt can win in this scenario is because it makes power all the way up to redline and has better gearing compared to the STI especially.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by the1&only
We were talking about STOCK STI/EVO8s which put down around 240 PEAK whp and modded Cobalts that are making around the same power being able to win. In this scenario AWD vs FWD has nothing to do with it. The reason the Cobalt can win in this scenario is because it makes power all the way up to redline and has better gearing compared to the STI especially.
While I find this entire argument a joke because people keep talking out of their ass, you ALMOST had me on your side until you gave your reason as to why the Cobalt will win. Equal wheel horsepower on a rolling start race with "twins" driving the cars would result in a Cobalt win due to weight, not because the SS makes power all the way to redline. Do you honestly make this statement thinking the Evo magically runs out of power up top? C'mon!

The whole drivetrain loss excuse is BS because you should be talking in terms of WHP and torque (which has less involvment in a rolling race, but still there). This heat loss and thermodynamics that people have started throwing around are going to account for so little AFTER taking WHP into consideration that it's not worth bringing up.

Stock Evo is really de-tuned. That may sound stupid, but no more so than the "GM waaaaaaaaaay under-rated these cars" excuse. Open up the exhaust and put a boost controller in to hold the boost, and a flash of the ECU - do nothing with the AWD - and then come talk to me about losing it top end because of the AWD. Simple fact is a turbo - ANY TURBO - can only flow a certain amount of air and THAT is when the car will run out of top end.

OK, return to the stuipid argument now
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dennyt4
While I find this entire argument a joke because people keep talking out of their ass, you ALMOST had me on your side until you gave your reason as to why the Cobalt will win. Equal wheel horsepower on a rolling start race with "twins" driving the cars would result in a Cobalt win due to weight, not because the SS makes power all the way to redline. Do you honestly make this statement thinking the Evo magically runs out of power up top? C'mon!

The whole drivetrain loss excuse is BS because you should be talking in terms of WHP and torque (which has less involvment in a rolling race, but still there). This heat loss and thermodynamics that people have started throwing around are going to account for so little AFTER taking WHP into consideration that it's not worth bringing up.

Stock Evo is really de-tuned. That may sound stupid, but no more so than the "GM waaaaaaaaaay under-rated these cars" excuse. Open up the exhaust and put a boost controller in to hold the boost, and a flash of the ECU - do nothing with the AWD - and then come talk to me about losing it top end because of the AWD. Simple fact is a turbo - ANY TURBO - can only flow a certain amount of air and THAT is when the car will run out of top end.

OK, return to the stuipid argument now
Honestly I am speaking more in line with the STI, its horsepower starts to drop off in the higher RPMs pretty bad, I have not looked at too many stock EVO8 dynos. I agree with you about the weight but the power drop off and gearing play the biggest parts.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Honestly I am speaking more in line with the STI, its horsepower starts to drop off in the higher RPMs pretty bad, I have not looked at too many stock EVO8 dynos. I agree with you about the weight but the power drop off and gearing play the biggest parts.
But that's my point - the power drop off does not come from the AWD...be it an Evo 8, 9, or STi...the problem is the turbo. I had an 05 STi, and it does have a smaller turbo which is why it is so noticeable up top. It is also heavier than the others. You put a bigger turbo - even one size larger - on the STi with that nice 2.5 engine and there will be no power drop up top.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

But that's my point - the power drop off does not come from the AWD...be it an Evo 8, 9, or STi...the problem is the turbo. I had an 05 STi, and it does have a smaller turbo which is why it is so noticeable up top. It is also heavier than the others. You put a bigger turbo - even one size larger - on the STi with that nice 2.5 engine and there will be no power drop up top.
That was my point too.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM

That was my point too.
Glad you guys are seeing eye to eye now. So we three agree that AWD in our opinion does not affect an AWD cars top end or roll race abilty as much as people would believe?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun
Glad you guys are seeing eye to eye now. So we three agree that AWD in our opinion does not affect an AWD cars top end or roll race abilty as much as people would believe?
Absolutely - but you have to talk in terms of wheel horsepower. Put it this way...If I am AWD and have a 400 horsepower engine, my wheel horsepower is probably going to be in the 320 range. A cobalt w/ 400 horsepower at the engine will theoretically have 340-360 wheel horsepower...THAT is where the AWD loss comes in - engine to wheel. When the cars come off the dyno with equal wheel horsepower, I am not going to lose more up top because of AWD. Make sense?

I'm not saying AWD doesn't lose more HP from the engine to the wheels, I'm just saying that AWD wheel horsepower is not slower than rear or front wheel horsepower
Old 12-20-2006, 08:44 AM

Thermo means heat dip ****.

did you mean FLUID dynamics perhaps? wow you truly are intelligent!

GO BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL.
Really? Thermo means heat? Wow. you really taught me. Fluid dynamics is the movements of fluids assuming no loss. It is the purely mechanical motion of the fluid. Thermo accounts for these losses through friction, which dissipates as heat. Now, I'll give you a point for making me think about it. The whole drivetrain involves friction loss, so I guess it could considered thermo if you want to account for the heat loss and not just the straight loss through friction.

You shouldn't tell people to go back to high school if you don't know who they are and what they do.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Really? Thermo means heat? Wow. you really taught me. Fluid dynamics is the movements of fluids assuming no loss. It is the purely mechanical motion of the fluid. Thermo accounts for these losses through friction, which dissipates as heat. Now, I'll give you a point for making me think about it. The whole drivetrain involves friction loss, so I guess it could considered thermo if you want to account for the heat loss and not just the straight loss through friction.

You shouldn't tell people to go back to high school if you don't know who they are and what they do.
And maybe you should think before you try to call people out on something that is totally correct. If you would like, you can pm me and i could explain to you in detail why it is thermodynamics that accounts for the majority of power loss in a drivetrain I wasn't even trying to be a dick, then you try to call me out and tell me that thermodynamics is the movement of fluids and has nothing to do with manual tranny power loss....
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 AM

Absolutely - but you have to talk in terms of wheel horsepower. Put it this way...If I am AWD and have a 400 horsepower engine, my wheel horsepower is probably going to be in the 320 range. A cobalt w/ 400 horsepower at the engine will theoretically have 340-360 wheel horsepower...THAT is where the AWD loss comes in - engine to wheel. When the cars come off the dyno with equal wheel horsepower, I am not going to lose more up top because of AWD. Make sense?

I'm not saying AWD doesn't lose more HP from the engine to the wheels, I'm just saying that AWD wheel horsepower is not slower than rear or front wheel horsepower
Honestly think this is a decent disussion and in some way were all on the same page but couldn't see it at first. cause i dont believe either side is wrong im just more inclined to side with one side.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stop now before you make yourself look any stupider.

ther·mo·dy·nam·ics
/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thur-moh-dahy-nam-iks] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun (used with a singular verb) the science concerned with the relations between heat and mechanical energy or work, and the conversion of one into the other: modern thermodynamics deals with the properties of systems for the description of which temperature is a necessary coordinate.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM

::puts on his 3d glasses and grabs a bag of popcorn::
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 PM

I gave this arguement up a while ago. Anyway, Im jealous of your car (J/K!!!)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM

I gave this arguement up a while ago.
Yeah I really really really try to stay out of War Stories all together and only venture in for some amusement once in a while, particularly when a certain ass likes to continue to say how he put lengths on a stock 9 (MAYBE he did, but that was one shitty driver if he did!! And if he did, that doesn't mean that he should be running around spouting off like he, or anyone, can do it at will ) But what really gets me is when people continue to spit out crap about AWD just because they've heard it for years. I try to bite my tongue, but when people who have most likely never been in a turbo car or AWD car, let alone learned enough about them to have an educated argument start going back and forth I just can't take it any more.

Anyway, Im jealous of your car (J/K!!!)
Hahaha - nice! Here's one of me vs. a buddy's IX (I'm the black one )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhFnlDUwKBY
Old 12-21-2006, 03:43 AM

Here's one of me vs. a buddy's IX (I'm the black one )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhFnlDUwKBY

im not impressed, my WRX can do that to a stock IX too

JK. but seriously, i put a hurting on a IX about a month ago, from 60mph and 80mph rolls it really bruised his ego too.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Antyoo
im not impressed, my WRX can do that to a stock IX too

JK. but seriously, i put a hurting on a IX about a month ago, from 60mph and 80mph rolls it really bruised his ego too.

First, he's not stock.

Second, of course you can - everyone on this board can since it's War Stories - haven't you heard?

Third, 60 or 80 mph? C'mon - seriously that's just stupid. 40 is bad enough to call something a race! We decided ahead of time to go from 2nd gear just because we both know what going from a stop is like and no use wasting clutch just against each other.

Finally, you couldn't have put anything on anyone from 60 or 80 mph since according to a lot of people your AWD should have lost too much top end like that

Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
stop now before you make yourself look any stupider.

ther·mo·dy·nam·ics
/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thur-moh-dahy-nam-iks] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun (used with a singular verb) the science concerned with the relations between heat and mechanical energy or work, and the conversion of one into the other: modern thermodynamics deals with the properties of systems for the description of which temperature is a necessary coordinate.
Thank you. I am done now. I was going off of memory and this was where the guy stopped posting when I posted ^^that^^, the definition of thermo. I had this EXACT same argument about 3 years ago with a guy on a public "car help" board. He was arguing my "views". I was just seeing how close it would recreate itself since I've seen it play out several times since then. Even the "go back to high school" quote made it in.

The only thing 8cd03gro missed was he didn't ask me what I do when I said "You shouldn't tell people to go back to high school if you don't know who they are and what they do." I asked the guy that in the original thread and he told me some company I'd never heard of so I was glad I wouldn't be using his products. You guys got everything else, that's just funny. Go team!

I should be an actor...See you guys later.

Quick Reply: me vs. 06 evo mr