War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Me Vs. VIPER Vs. JEEP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 280Z1977
I understood you. What review said the GTO had a better ride and cruising comfort, eventhough the GTO isn't an SS or even a Chevy??? Interiors are part of ride comfort. I agree about the Cobalt and Neon SRT-4. But comparing the Impala SS to the Charger/300c SRT-8, the SRT-8s are greater in every way. And I am willing to bet the Jeep is a lot nicer all around compared to the Trailblazer SS. Ram SRT-10>Silverado SS, Viper SRT-10> no SS, Crossfire SRT-6> no SS, SRT-8s> Impala SS and Trailblazer SS. Neon SRT-4/= Cobalt SS/SC.
Interiors may be part of ride comfort to you, but not me. I see that as part of the overall build quality, and I would tend to agree that in most of the SRT vehicles, the interior is just as good or better than that of the Chevy / GM vehicles. My bad on mentioning the GTO, but if it were Chevy, it would have an SS badge on it. They're all basically GM performance vehicles. That's a whole different category, and one I'm not including in the opinions I've been stating. I will dig up the GTO / SRT-8 article if you like, but I can't remember where I read it offhand. You seem to be getting very defensive at what I'm saying about SRT cars, even though I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm merely giving my opinion, from my personal experience, as well as what I've read, and heard from people I know, so I'll just say it again. SRT seems more focused on flat out performance while I see GM focusing more on ride comfort and versatility. Truck vs truck is the same as SUV vs SUV. SRT-10 isn't made to haul anything but ASS, which is fine, unless you want a quick truck, but want to take your boat to the lake with it, too. Even the Viper / Vette matchup has traditionally been that way, with the Viper being the slightly faster of the who, but also much louder, hotter, and less comfortable in the cabin. The exception of course being the latest Z06. That thing is sick, and much harder to drive every day than a stock Vette.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but basically summing it up that I like SRT and I like SS/GM performance vehicles. I think they're going in slightly different directions, appealing to slightly different crowds. If I had enough money for two vehicles, one of them would probably have the SRT badge on it, but as it stands, I only own an SS/SC.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Interiors may be part of ride comfort to you, but not me. I see that as part of the overall build quality, and I would tend to agree that in most of the SRT vehicles, the interior is just as good or better than that of the Chevy / GM vehicles. My bad on mentioning the GTO, but if it were Chevy, it would have an SS badge on it. They're all basically GM performance vehicles. That's a whole different category, and one I'm not including in the opinions I've been stating. I will dig up the GTO / SRT-8 article if you like, but I can't remember where I read it offhand. You seem to be getting very defensive at what I'm saying about SRT cars, even though I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm merely giving my opinion, from my personal experience, as well as what I've read, and heard from people I know, so I'll just say it again. SRT seems more focused on flat out performance while I see GM focusing more on ride comfort and versatility. Truck vs truck is the same as SUV vs SUV. SRT-10 isn't made to haul anything but ASS, which is fine, unless you want a quick truck, but want to take your boat to the lake with it, too. Even the Viper / Vette matchup has traditionally been that way, with the Viper being the slightly faster of the who, but also much louder, hotter, and less comfortable in the cabin. The exception of course being the latest Z06. That thing is sick, and much harder to drive every day than a stock Vette.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but basically summing it up that I like SRT and I like SS/GM performance vehicles. I think they're going in slightly different directions, appealing to slightly different crowds. If I had enough money for two vehicles, one of them would probably have the SRT badge on it, but as it stands, I only own an SS/SC.
I am not trying to sound defensive, just trying to figure out why you have that opinion on SRT vehicles. It doesn't matter to me if you think Kia's are the greatest cars ever made, I just would love to hear why you would think that. No biggie.

PS the SRT-10 can tow too.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 97CIVIC
WHAT ABOUT THE TRAILBLAZER SS?
There is a caps lock button on the left... use it.

I've yet to see one of those Jeeps in person, wow they are nice.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Floridas Finest SS
idk about the trailblazer ss but i know on the commercial all u hear is the new Jeep grand cherokee srt-8 0-60 in less than 5 seconds but as for the trailblazer i have no clue are they quicker than the cobalt ss s/c
I saw a Trailblazer SS run a 9.1 at the track the last time I went
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM

i just saw this site trailblazer ss said to run 13.8 this guy got 13.4 stock
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-T...slip-7935.html
Old 05-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zoomyjs
honda is made by chinese right. and acura japenese
both are honda
Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 PM

PS the SRT-10 can tow too.
According to the Dodge site, only if you get the Quad Cab...but then what's the point? It's already over 5000 lb...more weight = the devil. But yeah, I do see that. I personally think Chevy went wrong with the Silverado anyway...they should have put the Vette engine in there from the start like they did with the Trailblazer.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zoomyjs
honda is made by chinese right. and acura japenese
They're Canadian.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

According to the Dodge site, only if you get the Quad Cab...but then what's the point? It's already over 5000 lb...more weight = the devil. But yeah, I do see that. I personally think Chevy went wrong with the Silverado anyway...they should have put the Vette engine in there from the start like they did with the Trailblazer.
Ditto on the Silverado. The biggest SS screw up though is making the Impala FWD. x2
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 PM

I dont know which mag company did the testing...Car and Driver or Motor Trend...however if i can find the mag i will post what they got. I know in all tests the Jeep was faster then the SS. The only mark the jeep got against it was the fact that you cant tow a trailer with it. However with that said I know the duals look great in the middle but all it would take is som redesign of the bumper and an exhaust man to run it different then you now have an SUV that can tow. right?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh SS
I dont know which mag company did the testing...Car and Driver or Motor Trend...however if i can find the mag i will post what they got. I know in all tests the Jeep was faster then the SS. The only mark the jeep got against it was the fact that you cant tow a trailer with it. However with that said I know the duals look great in the middle but all it would take is som redesign of the bumper and an exhaust man to run it different then you now have an SUV that can tow. right?
In theorey yes, but it also depends on whether the other drive train components are made for it. Trailering is a whole different kind of stress on a vehicle than running a quarter mile.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 PM

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...blazer-ss.htmlFound it!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 PM

When you pull the page up just select the individual vehicle from the box where it is highlighted. SRT-8 > 60mph = 4.5...SRT-8 > 100mph = 12.0
Old 05-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Ditto on the Silverado. The biggest SS screw up though is making the Impala FWD. x2
FF isn't what turns me off on that car...the slushbox doesn't belong there at ALL.
SS, even if if it's not the quickest, is supposed to be *fun* to drive. Hitting 100 in 2nd gear isn't fun for me...this Cobalt is my first stick, and it makes me wonder what took me so long!

If the rumors play out, the next platform for the Impala should be FR, and Chevy would be able to do more with the SS.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned

FF isn't what turns me off on that car...the slushbox doesn't belong there at ALL.
SS, even if if it's not the quickest, is supposed to be *fun* to drive. Hitting 100 in 2nd gear isn't fun for me...this Cobalt is my first stick, and it makes me wonder what took me so long!

If the rumors play out, the next platform for the Impala should be FR, and Chevy would be able to do more with the SS.
4spd auto doesn't belong, 5spd auto would be much better. But 303hp in FF= never!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 PM

4spd auto doesn't belong, 5spd auto would be much better. But 303hp in FF= never!!!
Eh, we've already got a few people on this site putting at least that much at the crank in their Cobalts. Engineering-wise, it's getting much easier to get power to the ground in FF cars. It'll still never compare to the alteratives, but it's not as bad as it once was.