War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Me vs. Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That really isn't a big difference to me. I've rode in a SS S/C and it didn't feel a whole lot more powerful then my car does now, it's mainly my non-tuned transmission that's keeping me from really comparing though.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shibito
That really isn't a big difference to me. I've rode in a SS S/C and it didn't feel a whole lot more powerful then my car does now, it's mainly my non-tuned transmission that's keeping me from really comparing though.
I think it has more to than just that, you do know the SS/SC has ~60+whp on the 2.4 dont you stock don't you? Thats like saying there isn't that big of a diff between my car and a C6.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM

You are kidding right??

#1) There is no way in hell that was an LS1 Z28, or he wasn't even half throttle. I have an SS/SC that I've raced against a modded 02 SS Z28 that runs 12.7-8@108-110 and I'm just at his back bumper by the end of the race.

#2) I've raced a 2008 2.4 SS and it wasn't even a race. More like a Jamaican sprinter running against a 9 year old.

my mods aren't really that much either.

2.9+stage 2
full exhaust
cooling mods
tune.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
I think it has more to than just that, you do know the SS/SC has ~60+whp on the 2.4 dont you stock don't you? Thats like saying there isn't that big of a diff between my car and a C6.
Alright, I just stated that the 1/4 mile times don't seem like a big gap to me and the SS S/C I rode in didn't feel a whole lot faster then my car does now. I didn't say my tranny was the only thing holding me back, just probably the biggest single factor.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 PM

2.4 SS, MODDED, NATURALLY ASPIRATED
1.)redssna,14.83@93.97 w/2.20 60',coupe,5-speed,I/H/DP/E/T/ST

SS/SC ,STOCK,THE WAY IT IS FROM THE FACTORY
10.)chipmonk212121,14.37@98.26 w/2.22 60'

The FASTEST 2.4 SS on that list MODDED is a full half second and 5 mph slower in the 1/4 mile than the SLOWEST ss/sc.

5mph in the 1/4 is a LOT.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On that list.

That list isn't the whole damn world...I have watched SS/SC's run 14.8s

**** I ran a 15.2 in my SS/TC(missed a shift)
Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by compucarnut
The FASTEST 2.4 SS on that list MODDED is a full half second and 5 mph slower in the 1/4 mile than the SLOWEST ss/sc.

5mph in the 1/4 is a LOT.
ummmm... I don't think that's much at all.

Originally Posted by steddy2112
On that list.

**** I ran a 15.2 in my SS/TC(missed a shift)
Thank you. Not everyone out there with a fast car knows how to shift great and does it 100% of the time.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 PM

On that list.

Yes, but's it's comparing the best of the two listed on the site. Not a bad run on a SS/SC compared to a good run on a 2.4 and vice versa.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Yes, but's it's comparing the best of the two listed on the site. Not a bad run on a SS/SC compared to a good run on a 2.4 and vice versa.
But a good run of any car can hang with a bad run of anything.

Camaro could have had a bad run while OP had a good run...sheesh
Old 11-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Holy ****, I am wasting money modding my SC. A bone stock 2.4 with an intake an exhaust runs 13's!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Holy ****, I am wasting money modding my SC. A bone stock 2.4 with an intake an exhaust runs 13's!
No one is saying that.

Anything can happen on the street, simple as that.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
No one is saying that.

Anything can happen on the street, simple as that.
"God damn street racers!"
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

the camaro was prolly in 5th and never downshifted
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 AM

If the camaro stayed in 5th gear and you got to his back bumper and kicked it you probably did hang with him till his rpms got up.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM

ummmm... I don't think that's much at all.
Uhh dude .5 sec and 5mph is HUGE whether you THINK it is or. Thats 5 car lengths and means you getting walked hard.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM

if i remember ill post a vid of me and mike02z28 running from a 45 roll. he stayed in 4th i think and put 3 cars on me easy
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 04YellowGT
Uhh dude .5 sec and 5mph is HUGE whether you THINK it is or. Thats 5 car lengths and means you getting walked hard.
wrong, it's huge to you. Not me. Everyone sees things in a different way.

Originally Posted by mike02z28
If the camaro stayed in 5th gear and you got to his back bumper and kicked it you probably did hang with him till his rpms got up.
It's possible, I didn't get a chance to talk to him unfortunately, I would've liked to though.

Last edited by Shibito; 11-14-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

wrong, it's huge to you. Not me. Everyone sees things in a different way.
HAHA it’s not huge to you because you don't know what the hell you’re talking about.

There is no other way to see it. The people that look at a half a second or a full second and go that’s not that much don't realize what that equals out to in a race. A half a second equals you getting your ass beat and beat bad.

Go for a ride in a 12.5 car and go for a ride in a 12.0 car and tell me there isn't a huge difference. Until you've been to the track or experienced it first hand you don't a clue.

The average length of a car is around 16 feet so that means your front bumper would be about 80 feet behind the rear bumper of a car that runs .5 sec faster than you.

Measure or walk out 80 feet and tell me that’s not a lot.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM

It wasnt a V8 solely for the fact that he wasnt completely crushed. Think about it.

A stock camaro SS will pull a stock SS/SC. With that 2.4l's mods, there is no way in hell hes keeping up with a stock SS/SC from a roll.

Z28 SS > SS/SC
SS/SC > 2.4l NA

:: Z28 SS MUCH > 2.4l NA
Old 11-14-2008, 05:02 PM

That N/A SS either has some form of forced-induction that you are not aware of, the LS1 Camaro was not actually racing you, it was a ragged LT1 Camaro, or it was a V6.

As 04YellowGT said, on a drag strip .5 ET and/or 5mph trap differences is not considered a close race, it is considered a slaughter. The fastest bolt-on N/A SS that I saw on that list is trapping 10mph and almost 1.5 seconds slower than the average stock LS1 Camaro. That is a difference in vehicles that would be a slaughter in any acceleration race, from any speed.

I have driven a few N/A SS's, I own an SS/SC (have also driven a few others), previously owned an LS2 GTO, and have driven several LS1 F-Bodies. Stock for stock, an N/A SS is slow compared to an SS/SC. My SS/SC is slow compared to my former LS2 GTO or an LS1 Camaro. It is not even reasonable to compare an N/A SS with any LS1 Camaro, unless it is for laughs. Intake and exhaust did not make your car that much faster, although I also have no doubt that placebo has you convinced to the contrary. I am not trying to belittle N/A SS's, but please try to be realistic.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 PM

HAHA it’s not huge to you because you don't know what the hell you’re talking about.

There is no other way to see it. The people that look at a half a second or a full second and go that’s not that much don't realize what that equals out to in a race. A half a second equals you getting your ass beat and beat bad.

Go for a ride in a 12.5 car and go for a ride in a 12.0 car and tell me there isn't a huge difference. Until you've been to the track or experienced it first hand you don't a clue.

The average length of a car is around 16 feet so that means your front bumper would be about 80 feet behind the rear bumper of a car that runs .5 sec faster than you.

I definitely gotta back you up on this..

Also in a street/highway run the races are often a lot longer than just a quarter mile so.... After a very short time he'd be out of sight. OP you need to consider driving distances and realize 5mph on you JUST a quarter mile length equals you losing sight of that car very shortly after. Even in a straight line.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Thank you. Not everyone out there with a fast car knows how to shift great and does it 100% of the time.

Let me put this into perspective for you..........

My 89 Fox 5.0 Mustang with H/C/I and 3.73's was just a tad quicker than a mildly modified LS1 F body, and it ran 12.6@110 n/a (12.0s@117 on a 75 shot). My transmission was a piece of **** and I could only get it into 3rd half the time. I have a bunch of time slips where I completely missed 3rd, gave up on the run, and cruised the rest of the way down the track and still ran a 14.5@75ish.

Bottom line? Even if the dude was the worst driver in the world starting from a bad RPM spot, he still would have creamed you as I highly doubt your car runs below a 14.5.

I'm willing to bet you have never actually ridden in a fast car. And I don't consider my old mustang fast.............

Even if the dude had an LT1 the story still doesn't make sense. I've seen beat down 150K mile LT1 auto cars run mid 14s@98mph all day long.

Not trying to rag on ya man, but if you believe in what you are saying then you have some serious learning to do as far as cars go.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 PM

My 89 Fox 5.0 Mustang with H/C/I and 3.73's was just a tad quicker than a mildly modified LS1 F body, and it ran 12.6@110 n/a (12.0s@117 on a 75 shot). My transmission was a piece of **** and I could only get it into 3rd half the time. I have a bunch of time slips where I completely missed 3rd, gave up on the run, and cruised the rest of the way down the track and still ran a 14.5@75ish.

Bottom line? Even if the dude was the worst driver in the world starting from a bad RPM spot, he still would have creamed you as I highly doubt your car runs below a 14.5.

I'm willing to bet you have never actually ridden in a fast car. And I don't consider my old mustang fast.............

Even if the dude had an LT1 the story still doesn't make sense. I've seen beat down 150K mile LT1 auto cars run mid 14s@98mph all day long.

Not trying to rag on ya man, but if you believe in what you are saying then you have some serious learning to do as far as cars go.
+1

there was a camaro SS at the track last time I went. Running low 13's every time. He was modded, but still very impressive and consistant.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 PM

The only way I see it happening if it even did is: He said he was at a stop and the Z28 was rolling about 30MPH he then went WOT when it passed him and caught up with the Camaro and when he was at his rear bumper the Camaro went for it.He was bound to have some momentum on him from the begining.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 PM

I have rode in 12 second cars, hell I've rode in a 9 second car. I know what the difference feels like and yea, maybe the Camaro would have been 80 feet in front of me IN THE 1/4 MILE. You forget we didn't race an entire damn 1/4 mile, didn't have that much room.

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
It wasnt a V8 solely for the fact that he wasnt completely crushed. Think about it.

A stock camaro SS will pull a stock SS/SC. With that 2.4l's mods, there is no way in hell hes keeping up with a stock SS/SC from a roll.

Z28 SS > SS/SC
SS/SC > 2.4l NA

:: Z28 SS MUCH > 2.4l NA
It was no V6, I know the difference in sound from even a V6 with aftermarket exhaust and a V8 on stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by Strychnine
That N/A SS either has some form of forced-induction that you are not aware of, the LS1 Camaro was not actually racing you, it was a ragged LT1 Camaro, or it was a V6.

As 04YellowGT said, on a drag strip .5 ET and/or 5mph trap differences is not considered a close race, it is considered a slaughter. The fastest bolt-on N/A SS that I saw on that list is trapping 10mph and almost 1.5 seconds slower than the average stock LS1 Camaro. That is a difference in vehicles that would be a slaughter in any acceleration race, from any speed.

I have driven a few N/A SS's, I own an SS/SC (have also driven a few others), previously owned an LS2 GTO, and have driven several LS1 F-Bodies. Stock for stock, an N/A SS is slow compared to an SS/SC. My SS/SC is slow compared to my former LS2 GTO or an LS1 Camaro. It is not even reasonable to compare an N/A SS with any LS1 Camaro, unless it is for laughs. Intake and exhaust did not make your car that much faster, although I also have no doubt that placebo has you convinced to the contrary. I am not trying to belittle N/A SS's, but please try to be realistic.
I'm pretty sure we've established that it was a LT1 and not a V6.

Originally Posted by Sarvoth
I definitely gotta back you up on this..

Also in a street/highway run the races are often a lot longer than just a quarter mile so.... After a very short time he'd be out of sight. OP you need to consider driving distances and realize 5mph on you JUST a quarter mile length equals you losing sight of that car very shortly after. Even in a straight line.
We raced between lights and definitely did NOT have a 1/4 mile's worth of room.

One guy did suggest that the Camaro just ran me in 5th gear and I wouldn't rule out the possibility. All I can assure you is that it was a V8. I can't garuntee any of you that he was actually trying to race me and you're all trying to talk **** like he was and I was saying this same story. I did NOT get to talk to the guy thus I do not know if he was on it all the way or not. It sounded like he was but who knows?

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
+1

there was a camaro SS at the track last time I went. Running low 13's every time. He was modded, but still very impressive and consistant.
The only way I see it happening if it even did is: He said he was at a stop and the Z28 was rolling about 30MPH he then went WOT when it passed him and caught up with the Camaro and when he was at his rear bumper the Camaro went for it.He was bound to have some momentum on him from the begining.
Possible and once again, I have no prove that he was fully on it, he did NOT downshift and for all I know he could have had an auto.

Quick Reply: Me vs. Z28