War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

my cobalt vs an 03 firebird formula

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower mods, cooling mods, supporting mods, traction mods, full 3" catless exhaust, intake, tuning
or
I,H,DP,CD,E,T,DU,HE,60s,2.8,TB,PB,WI,SMM,TRM as listed in his sig.

I know he was 270+ when we raced as he had recently finished tunning. Robert (TXRLU) didn't want to race him cause he wasn't that good of a wheel man and didn't want to be a notch in his belt so I stepped up, ran JapEater 4 times that night. Since then I have just welded in new mufflers and put in a drop in K&N when my filter was dirty. If I recall we went from 35-40ish and also 50-55ish all the way to around 110-120. Ran down and back the service road twice.

My brother also ran Kenhebe (ZZP 2.9 pulley, Fujita CAI, ZZP 2.5in downpipe, 2.5in Magnaflow Cat-back, CA Header, Ingalls ETD, BWoody solid trans mount, B&M Shifter, Eibach sportlines, Koni yellow adjustable shocks, Jegs air/oil seperator, 60lb injectors, Cobra heat exchanger, 1/2 in Supercharger spacer, tuned by RPM Motorsports, Halo Projectors and everything MRZ offers) from about 35-85 or so in my car when it was stock and put about a car on him. That race would have gone longer if it wasn't on a city street.

Tyler
Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by amxguy1970
Blower mods, cooling mods, supporting mods, traction mods, full 3" catless exhaust, intake, tuning
or
I,H,DP,CD,E,T,DU,HE,60s,2.8,TB,PB,WI,SMM,TRM as listed in his sig.

I know he was 270+ when we raced as he had recently finished tunning. Robert (TXRLU) didn't want to race him cause he wasn't that good of a wheel man and didn't want to be a notch in his belt so I stepped up, ran JapEater 4 times that night. Since then I have just welded in new mufflers and put in a drop in K&N when my filter was dirty. If I recall we went from 35-40ish and also 50-55ish all the way to around 110-120. Ran down and back the service road twice.

My brother also ran Kenhebe (ZZP 2.9 pulley, Fujita CAI, ZZP 2.5in downpipe, 2.5in Magnaflow Cat-back, CA Header, Ingalls ETD, BWoody solid trans mount, B&M Shifter, Eibach sportlines, Koni yellow adjustable shocks, Jegs air/oil seperator, 60lb injectors, Cobra heat exchanger, 1/2 in Supercharger spacer, tuned by RPM Motorsports, Halo Projectors and everything MRZ offers) from about 35-85 or so in my car when it was stock and put about a car on him. That race would have gone longer if it wasn't on a city street.

Tyler
That's all well and fine, I believe you.

My original response was in reference to a solid 300WHP Cobalt assuming corrected numbers. That seems to be where we're at an impasse. I'm referring to a solid 300WHP Cobalt pulling on a stock Ls1 through all ranges where as you're referring to somewhat less powerful Cobalts.

I just noticed you're in Texas, close to the DFW?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sarvoth
lol, a 20 WHP disparity between your previous statement and your corrected response is a HUGE one. It's not that big, it is the difference from running even to slowly walking.

When you're talking about a sub 3000lb car that has less than 300 WHP to begin with 20 WHP is a hell of a lot, so try not to bitch so much; damn right I called you out on that bullshit. Again, my bad, with all the GTO LS2 talk and what I did to the 280ish whp balt 300 always comes to mind as a number to hang next to a LS2. Slipped my mind the LS1 f-bods are a little slower. So yes, you called the 300 number and you were right!

I understand quite well how top end gearing and the ability to breathe up top help out. My bad you have a few more posts than me, I haven't been too active online, registered only last year.. I know that means I'm clueless and have no real life experience. My apologies. You haven't, look at my join date and post count. I am more of a lurker, but lately I have been getting a kick out of reading the kill section as some of you can atest. Ditto with the GTO kill section as there is a guy taking down exotics supposedly with his intake and exhaust LS2 goat.

All I have to say about your experience with the 280WHP SS/SC is that in all likelyhood it was far more heatsoaked than it could have been, most of them are up top. That makes a hell of a difference too. With a decent setup a 300 WHP SS/SC (sprayed almost positively)
will pull on a stock ls1 F-body, the LS1 wont pull the gap back up top provided both cars are without passenger, fresh, and well driven. You can even take your 55ish roll you'd like the LS1 M6 to have as your best bet, wont happen. A dig is obviously strongly to the LS1s advantage but we're discussing which car would pull harder, not launch. Not heat soaked, we stopped and chatted for a bit before deciding to run, we were right next to the frontage road we ran on in a church parking lot I think it was. I do agree it would pull the F-bod at 300whp, but higher up the F-bod will stop it's pull though, maybe not creep back but atleast stop its pull
Tyler
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM

interesting thread guys. i do have to agree with Sarvoth that a 300whp cobalt SS/SC would most likely pull on an a 100% stock LS1 from a roll, but i think the win would be within a car. most likely less, around half a car.

Now throw a good intake on the LS1 and it will walk away slowly as speeds.
With just the intake the M6 LS1 should dyno in the 330-340 range putting it near the same power to weight ratio of the 300whp cobalt.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does a Stock LS1 Trap? 105ish on average? sometimes higher sometimes lower.. There are Stage 2 guys trapping 105...

Just throwing that out there..

P.S. I've owned my share of v8's, including F-Bodies.. I don't nutswing in any direction.

Stu's car is making no more than 270whp and he pulled a 12.75 and trapped 108 and even 110+ occassionally.. But.. He couldn't pull a Stock LS1.. NO SIR.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by coopn8r
What does a Stock LS1 Trap? 105ish on average? sometimes higher sometimes lower.. There are Stage 2 guys trapping 105...

Just throwing that out there..

P.S. I've owned my share of v8's, including F-Bodies.. I don't nutswing in any direction.

Stu's car is making no more than 270whp and he pulled a 12.75 and trapped 108 and even 110+ occassionally.. But.. He couldn't pull a Stock LS1.. NO SIR.
yea i'd say 105-106 average, good driver in a M6 hitting 108. i've even seen a tad higher but we will throw those numbers out as factory freaks/immaculate drivers.

So it sounds like Stu is a pretty excellent driver being able to pull off that time cause that is impressive, but certainly not the norm correct?

and those are some extremely impressive trap speeds, which have also been achieved by some stock f-bodies, but not the norm.

either way, impressive numbers for only 270whp! im thinking that 50% boost in first gear really helps him get outa the hole without blowing the tires off huh?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Slicks do actually.. :P

I'm just saying that a 300whp Cobalt which can be achieved quite easily on a TVS car will be a 110+ trapping car.. Why the **** would that BARELY pull a STOCK ls1 car? Its retarded to think it will..

Look at the 1/4 list.. Guys on the 2.5 and 2.6 pullies with full bolt ons trapped 110 which is the NORM for that pulley and that much bolt ons.. There are also guys running around in the same area of trapping on stage 2 cars and smaller pulles.. Stage 2 with a 2.8 or OTT Stage 1 which puts around 250-260 whp is going to trap 103-108 Area.. I just don't see how you guys can say that it isn't anywhere near what an LS1 can do when in reality... REALITY.. That is EXACTLY what an LS1 can trap.. Take out the launch factor as what amx is saying then that is a damn good race.. Going to the faster car..

Other cars run better.. Not all LS1's trap 108 stock.. I know a lot that trap around 104-105 at least they do around here.. Take a good running balt trapping more than that.. Its gonna pull it THROUGHOUT the entire RPM. Maybe way up top the ls1 will stop the pull, but who the **** goes up that high.. Normally street races are 40-100 or 110.. The end speed is normally around what the car would trap, thats how we do it..

Just saying.. People need to face reality.. Stock LS1's are not that big of a problem to take down for a GOOD running, Well Modded Cobalt or Redline.. Now if the LS1 has exhaust and tuning then its an entirely different story...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Just saying.. People need to face reality.. Stock LS1's are not that big of a problem to take down for a GOOD running, Well Modded Cobalt or Redline.. Now if the LS1 has exhaust and tuning then its an entirely different story...
haha slicks will do that too

and i agree completely, alot of people do jump on the LS1 is god bandwagon and believe me it gets old
Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM

High Five to you.. I'm not much of a bandwagon guy.. I have a 4 cylinder Forced Induction car.. I know its Pros and its Cons.. I know what it can take down and what it can't..

OP: I think you have a chance to do well in this race if he is Stock and I think you'll be able to pull him on your setup. Meth would help a lot though.. That h/e probably keeps you from getting hot enough to pull timing which will be a big factor in racing an LS1.. If you heatsoak.. He will pull you up top for sure :P You'll put a 1-2 cars on him from the get go if you do a 40 roll until that a4 shifts and gets in its powerband.. 40 definately isn't it.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM

OP: I think you have a chance to do well in this race if he is Stock and I think you'll be able to pull him on your setup. Meth would help a lot though.. That h/e probably keeps you from getting hot enough to pull timing which will be a big factor in racing an LS1.. If you heatsoak.. He will pull you up top for sure :P You'll put a 1-2 cars on him from the get go if you do a 40 roll until that a4 shifts and gets in its powerband.. 40 definately isn't it.
bolded for truth haha if he is stupid enough to go from a 40 roll i hope you eat him alive man, every single Auto owner should know that a 40 roll is trash. do you have any idea what rear gears he is running? 2.73's or is he GU5 RPO code running 3.23's?

either way the 40 roll is the absolutle worst roll race for an A4, but if he has 3.23's he will just get into the power band a tad quicker.

I have a 4 cylinder Forced Induction car.. I know its Pros and its Cons.. I know what it can take down and what it can't...
i think thats most people problems, they get caught in this my car has this much power and will take down any car with less power deal, when you have to know what your car is best suited for plain and simple.

Me being A4 i know that a dig race is definitely my best race, roll races arent as bad as they used to be now that ive got the stall and rebuilt tranny with a stage 2 shift kit, but still i know that a manual car with similiar power is more than likely gunna walk away in a roll race. its just about being realistic and i think alot of guys just have a had time believing they'll ever lose or shoulda lost some races they may have gotten lucky on. but as the saying goes come on you guys know it! ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN ON THE STREET.

Last edited by PNYKLR-TA; 04-01-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 03:02 PM

I dont know the cobalt is lighter.. it might pull the firebird if its not the LS1 which is pretty torquey.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
I dont know the cobalt is lighter.. it might pull the firebird if its not the LS1 which is pretty torquey.

haha wow. . . the Firebird is the LS1 and if you are making that comment in reference to us talking about an LT1, then you are just plain all bass ackwards. the LT1 produces more low end torque than the LS1, the LS1 has HP top end.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA

haha wow. . . the Firebird is the LS1 and if you are making that comment in reference to us talking about an LT1, then you are just plain all bass ackwards. the LT1 produces more low end torque than the LS1, the LS1 has HP top end.
Thats a myth and has been dis proven.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2MCHBoost
Thats a myth and has been dis proven.

haha i was wondering if someone here knew much about that and was gunna say that. thats been shown before too, but it always seems, not sure why, that all the LT1's have quicker 1/8 mile times than the LS1's and that the LS1's have much better 1/4 mile times.

i mean i have beaten several LS1's with similiar mods and power levels thru the 1/8th mile only to have them come around me in the long end.

and thats only a LS1 dyno, where is the LT1 dyno?

and thats gotta be the highest dyno torque wise i've seen for a stock LS1, and i did find a few LT1's that are around 310-315tq but i guess you got me there. wonder why it is then. . . ?

Last edited by PNYKLR-TA; 04-01-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 PM

well guys i really think a started a good topic here.....well its weds and these are the days these races usually go down out here tonite, its been alittle cloudy and rained earlier today so aslong as it doesnt start raining again u will get the video results of what will happen by tonite or tomorrow, if its starts raining its gonna be another week
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by startingline05
well guys i really think a started a good topic here.....well its weds and these are the days these races usually go down out here tonite, its been alittle cloudy and rained earlier today so aslong as it doesnt start raining again u will get the video results of what will happen by tonite or tomorrow, if its starts raining its gonna be another week
sweet man cant wait to see the vids! good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha i was wondering if someone here knew much about that and was gunna say that. thats been shown before too, but it always seems, not sure why, that all the LT1's have quicker 1/8 mile times than the LS1's and that the LS1's have much better 1/4 mile times.

i mean i have beaten several LS1's with similiar mods and power levels thru the 1/8th mile only to have them come around me in the long end.

and thats gotta be the highest dyno torque wise i've seen for a stock LS1, and i did find a few LT1's that are around 310-315tq but i guess you got me there. wonder why it is then. . . ?
That is def an old subject that had been disproven.
I have owned an Lt1 and there is no denying the Ls1 makes more power at every rpm stock for stock.

But hey, I still love the whole lx series so this is just my opinon.

I'm just saying that a 300whp Cobalt which can be achieved quite easily on a TVS car will be a 110+ trapping car.. Why the **** would that BARELY pull a STOCK ls1 car? Its retarded to think it will..

Look at the 1/4 list.. Guys on the 2.5 and 2.6 pullies with full bolt ons trapped 110 which is the NORM for that pulley and that much bolt ons.. There are also guys running around in the same area of trapping on stage 2 cars and smaller pulles.. Stage 2 with a 2.8 or OTT Stage 1 which puts around 250-260 whp is going to trap 103-108 Area.. I just don't see how you guys can say that it isn't anywhere near what an LS1 can do when in reality... REALITY.. That is EXACTLY what an LS1 can trap.. Take out the launch factor as what amx is saying then that is a damn good race.. Going to the faster car..

Other cars run better.. Not all LS1's trap 108 stock.. I know a lot that trap around 104-105 at least they do around here.. Take a good running balt trapping more than that.. Its gonna pull it THROUGHOUT the entire RPM. Maybe way up top the ls1 will stop the pull, but who the **** goes up that high.. Normally street races are 40-100 or 110.. The end speed is normally around what the car would trap, thats how we do it..

I hate to say it but I agree.......I averaged 105 when stock.
I dont see why a 110 trapping Cobalt couldnt pull an Ls1. Going from roll would be worse for the Ls1 since it would take away the launch advantage

Last edited by Hugger1975; 04-01-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hugger1975
That is def an old subject that had been disproven.
I have owned an Lt1 and there is no denying the Ls1 makes more power at every rpm stock for stock.

But hey, I still love the whole lx series so this is just my opinon.
hey i know this guy!

when my buddy first was showing me this site i saw your name and sig come up in a post and automatically knew you were on LS1tech too.

but must just be the guys ive raced. . . and the dyno's do show the LS1 with more torque. . . it just doesnt show in the races ive had. . . **** maybe its the fact that i have slightly less torque causing me to burn out less in the 60'? im sure as **** confused as to the results
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM

hey i know this guy!

when my buddy first was showing me this site i saw your name and sig come up in a post and automatically knew you were on LS1tech too.

but must just be the guys ive raced. . . and the dyno's do show the LS1 with more torque. . . it just doesnt show in the races ive had. . . **** maybe its the fact that i have slightly less torque causing me to burn out less in the 60'? im sure as **** confused as to the results

:insertbeersmileyimtolazytolookupcode:

I miss my Lt1......oh the money I coulda put into it instead of a 26k new car.
Of course I love the hugger though.

Ok, women moment there....

If I remember the lt1 0-60 was mid 5's (which is why a Cobalt can give a run for the money) and the ls1 was low 5's.....with more pull thru the range. My best time stock in my Lt1 was 14.3, my best stock ls1 was 13.5 (give or take a tenth)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM

hey i know this guy!

If I remember the lt1 0-60 was mid 5's (which is why a Cobalt can give a run for the money) and the ls1 was low 5's.....with more pull thru the range. My best time stock in my Lt1 was 14.3, my best stock ls1 was 13.5 (give or take a tenth)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

That's simple. LS1's are just harder to get out of the hole.

I've had an LT1 and 2 LS1's. The LT1 was a lot of fun but the LS1 is the way to go for power.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM

i should be getting to the track this friday if i can get my new tires and i should be able to pull a mid to high 12 with a bolt-on baby cam LT1 cams just 212-219.

and the acronym for the beers is just : beer : with no spaces obviously.

That's simple. LS1's are just harder to get out of the hole.

I've had an LT1 and 2 LS1's. The LT1 was a lot of fun but the LS1 is the way to go for power.
i plan on porting my stock heads which should really bring the LT1 up to par with the LS1 considering the LS1 just has alot better head flow.

Last edited by PNYKLR-TA; 04-01-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM

i plan on porting my stock heads which should really bring the LT1 up to par with the LS1 considering the LS1 just has alot better head flow.
The stock LT1 heads are anemic but the main problem is the exhaust manifolds. I gained 30rwhp when i went to hooker LT's and an O/R Y
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM

The stock LT1 heads are anemic but the main problem is the exhaust manifolds. I gained 30rwhp when i went to hooker LT's and an O/R Y
werd......heads/cam and exhaust will make a nasty lt1 combo
Old 04-02-2009, 12:55 PM

i already got Pacesetter Longtubes and could def feel a big gain after the tune.

werd......heads/cam and exhaust will make a nasty lt1 combo
yea i also wouldnt mind stroking it to a 383 while doing all that.

ABA383 on Tech is running a 11.2 with a 383 LT1 with a 228 234 cam and ported heads and all supporting mods obviously.

so next steps for me are ported heads, then stroking to 383 and hopefully i can pull a mid 11 consdering my cams smaller, but i like the baby cam aspect

Quick Reply: my cobalt vs an 03 firebird formula